Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Insein

*Official 2019 Philadelphia Eagles Thread* - Season's over; Go Away Now...

1 hour ago, modogg said:

yeah, this one stings worse then i thought it would. it will last a few days i'm sure

Had we lost and Wentz played I wouldn’t feel this way. But this was like watching a bad movie, you knew was going to be bad ten minutes into it. 

What happened today to Wentz was that good ole Philly luck I’ve grown so used to witnessing 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, themitch said:

J.J. Arcega-Whiteside: 16 GAMES - 10 receptions, 169 yards and 1 TD

DK Metcalf - 1ST PLAYOFF GAME - 9 receptions, 160 yards and 1 TD

SWING AND A MISS

Seeing him end the game, stand up and ✌🏻 hurt 

It was the most OBVIOUS pick too. 

2 minutes ago, Bigboy10182000 said:

Had we lost and Wentz played I wouldn’t feel this way. But this was like watching a bad movie, you knew was going to be bad ten minutes into it. 

What happened today to Wentz was that good ole Philly luck I’ve grown so used to witnessing 

We once had a whole season like that game. 1991. Best D of the Buddy era but zero O because Randall blew out his knee in Week 1 and we had nothing at backup - or much of an offensive system other than Randall, do your thing.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, JetMaxx said:

That is a top to bottom systemic problem.

Howie has to go if he doesn’t nail this next draft. Enough of this chasing your tail BS because you suck SO BAD at drafting. 

We trades a damn 4 for Avery and he never plays and is inactive 🤦‍♂️ 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pip's Invitation said:

We once had a whole season like that game. 1991. Best D of the Buddy era but zero O because Randall blew out his knee in Week 1 and we had nothing at backup - or much of an offensive system other than Randall, do your thing.

Incredibly true and disturbing memory

1 hour ago, Gachi said:

stupid stupid stupid

I know it's unavoidable, but still incredibly stupid decisions. Things like this is why solid organizations go the way of the Buffalo Bills. 

They are big cap hits but I agree at least a couple of them have to go. They got outplayed by practice squad players and are locker room drama. Complete wastes of space. 

23 minutes ago, Bigboy10182000 said:

Seeing him end the game, stand up and ✌🏻 hurt 

It was the most OBVIOUS pick too. 

It really was, we were all hoping for Metcalf and they try to outsmart themselves going with the guy no one had ever heard of. 

39 minutes ago, Bigboy10182000 said:

couple of stinging moments too. that pass to Miles to in the flat when he would have probably got a TD (at least def a 1st down) is one that has replayed in my head a few times. :kicksrock:

11 minutes ago, GoBirds said:

They are big cap hits but I agree at least a couple of them have to go. They got outplayed by practice squad players and are locker room drama. Complete wastes of space. 

Yet they were kept and started. The guys making those decisions are still here. I have NO CLUE how Ward was not playing over Agholor over and over and over. No idea how Goedert wasn’t a key contributor all year. How Boston Scott didn’t just make the team. How come we can’t coach up a CB or LBer? 

I just read that Peters wants to play again next what and that worries me. 

Im worried and preparing for the worst. 

Just now, modogg said:

couple of stinging moments too. that pass to Miles to in the flat when he would have probably got a TD (at least def a 1st down) is one that has replayed in my head a few times. :kicksrock:

Absolutely. That one hurt

36 minutes ago, modogg said:

In his defense, the ball was behind him. He still should’ve caught it but he would’ve probably had to do a full 360 to turn and pull it in without coming to a full stop. Would’ve been a 1st but probably would’ve slowed him down to much to be a TD

19 minutes ago, gabes1919 said:

In his defense, the ball was behind him. He still should’ve caught it but he would’ve probably had to do a full 360 to turn and pull it in without coming to a full stop. Would’ve been a 1st but probably would’ve slowed him down to much to be a TD

agreed, not blaming Miles for it completely. McCown should have placed it better. Still, overall, it was a depressing miss

It was a tough loss for you guys today but I think the future is still very bright.  I don’t think there is anymore doubt that you have an elite QB and coach.  The other pieces can be tweaked but with that constant, you should be competitive every year.  

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, modogg said:

agreed, not blaming Miles for it completely. McCown should have placed it better. Still, overall, it was a depressing miss

That was on Miles.  He’s going to be a great player but that was a killer

On 1/4/2020 at 12:12 PM, JaxBill said:

in 2017, the Eagles rallying cry was the cool but grammatically abhorrent "We all we got, we all we need."
They just put out a hype video with Carli Lloyd narrating titled "Now is all we need."

Not sure whether to be happy that the grammar has improved or worry that they're just trying to win on WildCard Weekend.

Red Bryant started this rallying cry with the Hawks a number of years ago. 

1 hour ago, fred_1_15301 said:

That was on Miles.  He’s going to be a great player but that was a killer

Wasn’t an easy catch

4 hours ago, themitch said:

J.J. Arcega-Whiteside: 16 GAMES - 10 receptions, 169 yards and 1 TD

DK Metcalf - 1ST PLAYOFF GAME - 9 receptions, 160 yards and 1 TD

SWING AND A MISS

I'm ok with missing on MetCalf. I think someone else said something similar the red flags on him from an injury stand point and all you cannot blame any team with missing on him. Whoever got him was either gonna regret drafting him or thank their lucky stars. Similar to the Sixers with Joel Embiid. If he wasn't hurt Clevland Drafts him and who knows who the Sixers take 

Sixers lost 4 in a row, Flyers lost 3 in a row, and now this.  Not a good week to be a Philly sports fan. :(

6 minutes ago, Deamon said:

Sixers lost 4 in a row, Flyers lost 3 in a row, and now this.  Not a good week to be a Philly sports fan. :(

Eagles were the only ones who acted like they cared too 

Just now, DJackson10 said:

Eagles were the only ones who acted like they cared too 

Dude chill on the Sixers stuff.   It's not the day.

5 hours ago, Judge Smails said:

Wasn’t an easy catch

Never said it was easy but it was still probably one he makes 7-8 out of 10

• Like 2

That game was a microcosm of this season....and probably Philly Sports history in general.  On to 2020.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, DJackson10 said:

I'm ok with missing on MetCalf.

Very curious how on 1/6/2020 you could actually say that. 

Edited by Bigboy10182000

Welp, I guess there really was no other way this season was going to end.

The delay of game on 1st and goal from the five was beyond infuriating.  Think we score a TD from that spot other wise.  Lots of little things that were killers (and obviously one big thing).  Anyone calling into sports radio today knocking Wentz is beyond idiotic, but already heard a bunch on my way to the gym at 5:30 today. 

This one hurts more than most, not sure why.

I find it incredible that a top young QB got his head bounced off the turf and knocked out if a playoff game with no penalty for the player and there is literally no coverage of this in the sports media. If this were Wilson or Rodgers or Brady, hell if it were Dak, this would be the leading headline on all the sports shows. But its just shucks golly gee Carson getting hurt again. Oh well. 

I'm more pissed today I think. Glad I got drunk during the game. I would have broken something otherwise.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, unckeyherb said:

The delay of game on 1st and goal from the five was beyond infuriating.  Think we score a TD from that spot other wise.  Lots of little things that were killers (and obviously one big thing).  Anyone calling into sports radio today knocking Wentz is beyond idiotic, but already heard a bunch on my way to the gym at 5:30 today. 

Definitely hurt, but I think it was more a by-product of the situation (back-up QB that hadn't played more than a couple meaningful game reps all season) than avoidable incompetence (like, say, the delay of game Seattle took in the SF game last week, which was inexcusable.) 

I was impressed by the Eagles efforts with their cobbled together lineup.  I thought they did themselves and their City proud.  They fought hard with very limited personnel options.  Yes they lost, but they showed a lot of heart, I thought. 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

My take on the Clowney hit: it probably wasn't a deliberate attempt to injure, or even to purposely take a cheap-shot. But it was definitely a reckless hit that he should own and be held accountable for its results. Similar to the Barnett hit in the GB game, where I (and most Eagles fans) would have accepted him getting ejected for. 

I'll also add: 100% should have been flagged. One of the narratives going into the game with these officials was how they had been the most protective of QBs, and other players, during the season with their personal foul calls. It was also BS after the game to have the official pool report be that it was found to be incidental contact and Wentz hadn't given himself up. Complete opposite of the reasoning for the call earlier this season when Wentz dove for the goalline on a 2-pt conversion and was called "down" when no one touched him because him diving meant he was giving himself up :crazy:

Edited by The Noid
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Just now, The Noid said:

My take on the Clowney hit: it probably wasn't a deliberate attempt to injure, or even to purposely take a cheap-shot. But it was definitely a reckless hit that he should own and be held accountable for its results. Similar to the Barnett hit in the GB game, where I (and most Eagles fans) would have accepted him getting ejected for. 

When your arms are at your side and you lead with your helmet, there's no excuse. All the stupid rules in the NFL to try and protect players and they allow that to happen. Gonna be pissed about this one for awhile and I hope Seattle gets stomped in GB, or at least Clowney gets his. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, The Noid said:

And the Barnett hit was at least a penalty. I thought for sure he would be ejected that game 

All in all the season was a pretty big disappointment in so many areas. I’m pretty sure we have covered most of them but it wasn’t all bad. 

- I’m SO GLAD Wentz didn’t finish the year with an injury that would also derail his off season. I think this is huge for his development. 

- I feel like we have a star in Sanders. He got better and better and better and could be one of the games best as soon as next season. 

- I feel like Dillard can handle LT much better than how Peters played down the stretch. 

- Seumalo actually had a solid season. Assuming everyone else is back the OL could also be one of the leagues best. Just need more depth

- This is more of a request but PLEASE feature Ertz and Goedert more. Goedert also looks like he has star potential as a complete TE. We may actually have 2 of the games best 7 

- After seeing Josh Sweat get more action I’m glad we didn’t trade for Clowney and pay him. Sweat has a to start next year if he grows more. 

- Boston Scott seems like the guy we thought Clement would be after the SB. Hope he keeps making strides. 

- Greg Ward definitely looked like he belonged as well.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, unckeyherb said:

I’m more puzzled by the play calling on that series. 1st and goal from the 10 I thought we had to get Sanders the ball a couple times. He was running really well

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Insein said:

And the Barnett hit was at least a penalty. I thought for sure he would be ejected that game 

As a Packer fan I was mad when it happened.  I was mad after the game when the Packers lost, maybe due to not having a big back who could pound it in in goal to goal situations.  That said, not mad about it still. In the course of a season not really a blatant play. A bit dirty, a bit overly enthusiastic, but only by recent rules and developments in the game, not by history of the game. Not say a very late hit on a Q.B. who is retreating back and to the side by a guy leaping on him after taking two steps and breaking his collarbone.  Not spearing a Q.B. clearly going to the ground in the back of the head and eliminating him from a playoff game.  I believe Seattle fans would have been very discommoded if the shoe was on the other foot.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Bigboy10182000 said:

- This is more of a request but PLEASE feature Ertz and Goedert more. Goedert also looks like he has star potential as a complete TE. We may actually have 2 of the games best 7 

They are both very good. They have the potential to be the best duo since Gronkowski and Hernandez.

Offseason checklist by position:

QB: Bring back McCown. Love what he's done. He's like an on-field coach and he plays well enough in a pinch.

RB: Would like Howard back, but that's a luxury. Want a thumper to compliment Sanders and Scott.

WR: Speed, speed, speed! Draft at least 2 guys. Goodbye Nelly, and Alshon if you can stomach the cap hit.

TE: All good.

OL: Love what Peters did, but unless he's willing to be a backup I think it's time to cut ties. Dillard may be better than him now. Need depth since Big V will sign elsewhere I assume. Grooming a new C would be good, unless that's Seumalo, then need G replacement.

DE: Get younger. Sweat showing a lot of promise, feel like they need one more guy.

DT: More depth and pray Jackson is healthy?

LB: Bah, the team doesn't care, why should I?

CB: Yeah...Darby gone. I still like Mills but they need someone desperately opposite him that can be a #1 guy. Every other player is either just ok or terrible. A complete overhaul isn't realistic, but they need one.

S: Need to get younger in a hurry. I'd bring Mcleod back in the meantime and give Jenkins his money. Not sure if they can upgrade over either in the short term.

Can they afford all this, is it possible? Dunno, this is my wants off the top of my head.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Bigboy10182000 said:

I just read that Peters wants to play again next what and that worries me.

I don't want Peters to be the starter next year unless Dillard is terrible in the offseason, which I don't think will happen. If Peters wants to take a backup's salary to be depth at LT/RT, great. Otherwise he isn't worth starter's money. He may think he still has juice to play 1 or 2 more years, but I don't see it.

1 minute ago, roarlions said:

I don't want Peters to be the starter next year unless Dillard is terrible in the offseason, which I don't think will happen. If Peters wants to take a backup's salary to be depth at LT/RT, great. Otherwise he isn't worth starter's money. He may think he still has juice to play 1 or 2 more years, but I don't see it.

Compared to the LT talent out there, there's probably 5+ teams that would sign him to start next year, and a few will at least be playoff contenders, so I think it's very unlikely he's back with us, if it's to be a back-up. 

Eagles are slotted to pick at #21 in the first round. Go BPA at every position besides QB, RB and TE. Get rid of Alshon and Peters. WRs next year should be DJax, JJAW, Ward and 2 draft picks.

13 minutes ago, roarlions said:

I don’t either but one fault this regime has is loyalty. That’s what worries me. 

• Like 2

It was a disappointing season - remains to be seen if we can learn from the mistakes.  There were bright spots and dark spots. The main good, is that we saw improvement from Wentz and Pederson as the season went on. I think we tried to double down too much on the Super Bowl roster and methodology - hopefully we learned our lesson. I don't blame Howie and co too much for trying what worked in 2017 - but they need to adjust.

Need to draft better at WR without question. Supposed to be some good talent this year, so hopefully we get someone that can step up. JJ such a disappointment.

36 minutes ago, Ditkaless Wonders said:

As a Packer fan I was mad when it happened.  I was mad after the game when the Packers lost, maybe due to not having a big back who could pound it in in goal to goal situations.  That said, not mad about it still. In the course of a season not really a blatant play. A bit dirty, a bit overly enthusiastic, but only by recent rules and developments in the game, not by history of the game. Not say a very late hit on a Q.B. who is retreating back and to the side by a guy leaping on him after taking two steps and breaking his collarbone.  Not spearing a Q.B. clearly going to the ground in the back of the head and eliminating him from a playoff game.  I believe Seattle fans would have been very discommoded if the shoe was on the other foot.

Yep. If that's a hit on Wilson and he's knocked out the game, the player is ejected though.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, babydemon90 said:

Need to draft better at WR without question. Supposed to be some good talent this year,

WR draft class is loaded and FA’s could be Anderson and maybe even Cooper. We can correct this issue if we play our cards right. 

And the media goes a step further in their bias. Instead of having a story on the cheap shot by Clowney and how he should be suspended, they do a story on how Clowney EXPECTS TO RECEIVE death threats from the 'worst fans in the world.' not that he actually received any. Just that he expects to. That's it. That's the ####### story. 

Carson gets no respect. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, roarlions said:

If I'm the eagles I tell Peters, respectfully, that he's welcome back on a team-friendly contract that is non-guaranteed (unless he makes team).  I also tell him that the left tackle spot is an open competition and  no preferential treatment will be given and he is expected to participate in all the team workouts, be on time for meetings, etc.  

Then if he doesn't show up 25 pounds lighter, you know he doesn't have the fire anymore and you move on

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Insein said:

And the media goes a step further in their bias. Instead of having a story on the cheap shot by Clowney and how he should be suspended, they do a story on how Clowney EXPECTS TO RECEIVE death threats from the 'worst fans in the world.' not that he actually received any. Just that he expects to. That's it. That's the ####### story. 

Carson gets no respect. 

Clowney playing the victim card.  What a tool

Watching the replay, it's obviously a blatant cheap shot.  He dove into the back of Wentz's helmet as he was going to the ground.  Speed of the game excuse doesn't hold water here.  You see players avoid this kind of collision every week.  Disgusting.

@alexmarvez: Source tells @NFLonFOX that @Jaguars have interviewed Jim Schwartz for their defensive coordinator vacancy

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, efactor said:

Clowney playing the victim card.  What a tool

Watching the replay, it's obviously a blatant cheap shot.  He dove into the back of Wentz's helmet as he was going to the ground.  Speed of the game excuse doesn't hold water here.  You see players avoid this kind of collision every week.  Disgusting.

Maybe he thought that Wentz could go from a foot off of the ground, totally parallel to the ground, to back on his feet running free unless he speared him, bravely I might add, from the blindside in his back and the back of his helmet.  I mean we have all seen guys go from that posture to right back to their feet by putting down a hand.  It could have happened.  

Is no one here concerned with Clowney's health?  H was playing injured but it did not stop him from playing to the whistle to make a key stop on what would clearly otherwise have been a game-changing play.  Dude's a warrior and now he has to watch his back from what might happen by out of control Eagle fans.  Such a shame it has to come to this.

• Thanks 1
  • Laughing 2

9 minutes ago, JaxBill said:

@alexmarvez: Source tells @NFLonFOX that @Jaguars have interviewed Jim Schwartz for their defensive coordinator vacancy

you can interview people for parallel positions? I mean, I know you can, but usually the team doesnt give permission. Wonder if that means they're moving on.

• Love 1