What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

So Democracy is Fake in the UK? (2 Viewers)

Whole situation is a ####### disaster, nothing would really surprise me. 

Of all situations, I put a hard Brexit as the lowest possibility. 
Hard Brexit (no deal confirmed before March 29th) would be my highest possibility

Then a reneg deal

Then remain.

Remain will only be possible if May is kicked out 

Doubt there will be (time for, suggestion of (by the PM)) a second referendum

Hard Brexit (no deal confirmed before March 29th) would be my highest possibility

Then a reneg deal

Then remain.

Extension of Article 50 >>then there will be>> 2nd referendum >>then they will>> Remain

That is what is going to happen.

All negotiating tactics, imo. 

Your highest probability is my lowest right now. 
The EU has absolutely no incentive to extend the deadline. If the UK remains after pulling article 50, there is nothing to stop other countries from doing the same or similar in order to improve on their deal. That way lies chaos. A far better outcome for the EU is if the UK is economically ####ed for the next ten years because they couldn't agree to the deal the EU gave them.

That would incentivize countries to stay, and be compliant.

I find it strange that you don't really see the realpolitik here

The EU has absolutely no incentive to extend the deadline. If the UK remains after pulling article 50, there is nothing to stop other countries from doing the same or similar in order to improve on their deal. That way lies chaos. A far better outcome for the EU is if the UK is economically ####ed for the next ten years because they couldn't agree to the deal the EU gave them.

They're the 2nd largest economy in the EU, a hard Brexit, while obviously causing more pain in Britain than other places, is certainly no picnic for the EU either. 

Then a reneg deal

Then remain.

My take as well.

And the UK helped set up these rules as one of the drivers of the union, the idea being the Slovakia’s of the world might be unstable so make exiting painful and thus resistant to regime changes. No one ever thought the UK especially not one led by a string of conservative leadership would be confronting this.

They're the 2nd largest economy in the EU, a hard Brexit, while obviously causing more pain in Britain than other places, is certainly no picnic for the EU either. 
The EU will somehow have to replace what is lost of the 2% of goods/services that go to the UK.

And then in a decade or so get the UK back in the fold on a better deal (for the EU).

ETA: In the mean time Frankfurt (or Paris) takes over from the City and never give it back

Last edited by a moderator:
From EU today: No new negotiations untl the Brits decide what outcome they want. And they continue ratifying the deal that the UK don't want.

May is facing a no confidence vote today in Parliament, but it seems she will survive it with DUP and the rebel tories backing her. We'll see

msommer said:

Then a reneg deal

Then remain.

:goodposting:

Approaching a 100% chance for hard brexit.

:goodposting:

Approaching a 100% chance for hard brexit.
The British bookmakers have the odds of them leaving on 3/29 with no deal at 3-1...

So with your confidence here, please take heavy action on this.

I know when I’m being offered 3-1 on my money, and I’m 100% on something, I make a very aggressive move to easily triple my money. 

Credit to May here, IMO.  Her plan, stare down a hard Brexit and the pressure for a new referendum until someone else cracks and is willing to negotiate, probably isn't going to work, but it's the only other way out and she's playing a ####ty hand pretty well (and bravely) despite the fact that it's going to cost her political career. 

The basic problem here is that politicians have utterly failed us.

They failed to correctly analyze prior to the referendum that there would not be a deal that gave voters what they want (democratic control, lower immigration) while being acceptable to the EU, and didn't do enough to debate what Brexit would actually look like prior to the vote.

Now, after the vote, they are adamantly refusing to implement the will of the people or even come to some kind of agreement or consensus amongst themselves. The politicians who are advocating remain in leave constituencies (and there are lots of them - Anna Soubry is the loudest) are insane. How are there not procedures to remove these people from their jobs? It's crazy. They are putting either their own opinions or private $$$ ahead of their constituents. They belong in prison, not parliament.

If you're the EU, you're trying to negotiate with a bunch of children arguing amongst themselves. One of the children assured you they were the leader, agreed to a deal you were happy with, and then all the other children threw a bunch of mud pies at that child and now you're back to the drawing board.

Until we come up with political systems where politicians are motivated (financially, since that seems all that they listen to) to actually follow the will of the people and act in their interests, we effectively have no democracy and voting is mostly pointless. This leads to a frustrated electorate who will swing far to the right to people who threaten to overthrow the status quo, with little regard for what will replace it.

There isn't an eligible right wing party in the UK right now, but if and when Brexit is stopped (which it will be - just look at the markets today) there will be, and at the next election there is going to be political annihilation to pay for the conservatives, who have screwed this up, and labour, who continue to turn a blind eye to the entire issue in preference to their social justice policies, meaning parliament has no viable opposition to a non-functioning government.

The whole thing is completely pathetic and I'm utterly embarrassed by it.

The comment above about this maybe costing May her political career I'd respectfully disagree with. Every step of the way she's acting solely in her own interests and in the interests of the conservatives, and never in the interests of the electorate. Otherwise, why delay this vote in December to yesterday? We knew in December people hated her deal. Why couldn't we have 90 days to deal with that before the leave date rather than the 70 we have now?

We need a political system where the pay of politicians is dependent on how well they have represented their constituents. Across western democracies, that simply does not happen now which renders democracy essentially fraudulent.

msommer said:
The EU has absolutely no incentive to extend the deadline.
I don't think that's right.

If an extended deadline means a higher chance of remain, that is exactly what the EU will go for. So for instance if we were to ask for an extension for more time so we can hold a no deal or remain referendum, they'd jump at doing that. Also if we asked for more time so we could have a general election, they'd be licking their lips at a chance of negotiating a deal with Corbyn.

The EU always puts itself - the political organisation - first. The best outcome for them is that the UK sheepishly comes back in, and no-one ever tries this again.

The British bookmakers have the odds of them leaving on 3/29 with no deal at 3-1...

So with your confidence here, please take heavy action on this.

I know when I’m being offered 3-1 on my money, and I’m 100% on something, I make a very aggressive move to easily triple my money. 
Nah

If an extended deadline means a higher chance of remain, that is exactly what the EU will go for. So for instance if we were to ask for an extension for more time so we can hold a no deal or remain referendum, they'd jump at doing that. Also if we asked for more time so we could have a general election, they'd be licking their lips at a chance of negotiating a deal with Corbyn.

The EU always puts itself - the political organisation - first. The best outcome for them is that the UK sheepishly comes back in, and no-one ever tries this again.
Good insight. In your opinion, do you think this is also the best outcome for the UK?

Now, after the vote, they are adamantly refusing to implement the will of the people or even come to some kind of agreement or consensus amongst themselves. The politicians who are advocating remain in leave constituencies (and there are lots of them - Anna Soubry is the loudest) are insane. How are there not procedures to remove these people from their jobs? 
There's a very easy way to remove them if the constituents are unhappy with the job they're doing.

And they are trying like hell to implement the will of the people.  They wouldn't even be talking about leaving the EU if the voters hadn't expressed their will.

Good insight. In your opinion, do you think this is also the best outcome for the UK?
I voted to leave because the EU is not democratic in nature. For a political institution to be democratic, its constituents must understand how to remove those in power. That is entirely unclear. In the USA, you guys would understand, if you don't want Trump, then there is the process of impeachment or the next presidential election to remove him. But who is Jean Claude Juncker? What party does he represent? How can we remove him? How can we vote for or against him? These are not questions 99% of the UK population could answer.

Even when you do the research, you realise that the top two groups in the EU parliament don't contain any UK parties at all! So essentially in EU elections, we are choosing between third party candidates. That's not a democratic choice to have. The irony is, leaving would return control to the UK parliament, which is currently showing itself also to be undemocratic! So it seems there is no way to achieve democracy in the current structures. That's where the right wing risk comes in. I have a personal interest in some results more than others, but my original reasons for voting leave appear to have been rendered entirely void by the process. Politically, I just don't care anymore because I have no belief in either the UK or EU parliaments to ever be democratic in their current structures. The "I just don't care anymore get on with it" is basically where most people are now. Either there, or surrounding themselves in Facebook echo chambers getting angrier and angier which isn't helping anyone.

So would remain be the best outcome for the UK as a whole? I don't think there is a good or a bad outcome anymore. It's all just irrelevant at this point. Just get on with it and get any outcome. Remain would bring widespread rioting to the streets though so I'm not sure I can endorse that even as the least worst outcome.

There's a very easy way to remove them if the constituents are unhappy with the job they're doing.

And they are trying like hell to implement the will of the people.  No sane person would even be talking about leaving the EU if the voters hadn't expressed their will.
See that's just the problem. What's the easy way? I don't see one; you'd have to wait until the next election which would be too late. On your no sane person point - you're describing me as insane there along with 51.8% of people who voted in the election. About a third of MPs backed leave before the referendum so that isn't right from what I can see.

See that's just the problem. What's the easy way? I don't see one; you'd have to wait until the next election which would be too late. On your no sane person point - you're describing me as insane there along with 51.8% of people who voted in the election. About a third of MPs backed leave before the referendum so that isn't right from what I can see.
First, apologies for that word choice.  I immediately went back and edited, but apparently that wasn't quick enough.

Second, that lag is by design -- a feature not a bug.  The only thing worse than government by referendum would be for elected officials who don't immediately do what 51% of the voters want to lose their jobs.

This is actually a fairly useful outlet for Brexit for me btw seeing as though everyone is so strongly opined locally can't mention it without getting a blizzard of misinformed nonsense one way or the other back! So appreciate the chat here!

for elected officials who don't immediately do what 51% of the voters want to lose their jobs.
*51.8%, or 52% if we're rounding, and I'd edit out the word immediate there. I mean, they've had 2 and a half years and there isn't a consensus among MPs for anything, leave or remain. I don't see the harm in having a system where if in any constituency, 50% of voters signed a petition to remove their MP did exactly that, triggering a by-election. Put some kind of limit on it like once per year and at least one year since the last election and at least one year until the next one. But some kind of system where MPs feel some kind of pressure to actually inact what their constituents want ahead of their own political beliefs or financial interests sounds great to me.

But some kind of system where MPs feel some kind of pressure to actually inact what their constituents want ahead of their own political beliefs or financial interests sounds great to me.
I think they clearly do feel pressure to do something -- it's just that the choices seem to boil down to...

1) hard Brexit 

2) ignoring the referendum and voting again

3) take the EU's deal on its terms, as they have all the leverage

... and a majority can't agree on any of the three options.  Not least of which because about 1/3 of the country is living a fantasy about the country's leverage and/or the relative upsides/downsides of leaving.

I'm leaning towards hard Brexit because it's the only one that doesn't require anyone to change their position and can happen by accident/default, but none of the three outcomes would surprise me.  And, again, I think May is pushing for the least-bad option skillfully under the situation.  It's probably not going to work, but that's not on her.

For me - Britain made 3 errors:

1.  Holding a referendum on such a complex issue.  Leaving the EU is impossibly complex.  The average MP would have no idea about the complexities of leaving the EU - both in terms of actually unwinding the relationship, and in forging new relationships with the EU, and the rest of the world.  These are not issues that are best decided by the voting public - and certainly not when the vote is really about broad emotionally-charged issues, and the campaigns are boiled down to tiny sound-bites.

I think it is fair to say, there are carious aspects of the EU that are unappealing to the average Britain.  And, I think those are fair observations.  But, to boil down those issues into a simple Leave or Remain option was a mistake, and a big mistake to make it a binding referendum.  No voter could possibly have understood what "Leave" would look like after negotiations - but they all were seemingly unrealistic in their expectations of how the EU would treat them in the negotiations.

2.  The second mistake Britain made was multi-fold.  Once the referendum was complete - there was a slight lean towards leaving the EU.  It was not a mandate - by any stretch of the imagination.  But, that referendum did give Britain a bit of leverage that it did not ordinarily have in its relationship with the EU.  Instead of jumping straight into Article 50, Britain would have been better served using that result to negotiate with the EU over various important issues - such as immigration, and local sovereignty.  The EU would presumably not have given Britain everything they wanted - but I suspect under threat of leaving, Britain never would have had as much leverage to gain some concessions.  And compromise is at the heart of any negotiation.

3.  The third, and perhaps most glaring, error Britain made was in the current government not backing May's negotiated settlement.  I think many in Britain were expecting the EU to roll over and give Britain everything she wanted in the Brexit negotiations.  That was never going to happen.  The EU effectively hold all the cards here - they have no incentive to give anything away to the country who is leaving.  The British government should have understood that up front, and when they authorized May to negotiate the terms, they should have done so, knowing they will not get everything they want.  Once the negotiating team was empowered - the government should have accepted their best efforts and gotten on with the business of forging new agreements with the US and Asia - and then worked, over time, to mend the fences with Europe, and delivered better trade agreements.

Bolded I agree with, after the UK has spent ten years outside. That is the best outcome for the EU, politically, if not economically

@Sinn Fein I think your first point is absolutely spot on and intra-party politics of the conservatives is to blame. But past that IMO the biggest fault is not making no deal a credible alternative. As soon as article 50 was triggered we should have been making a huge scene about no deal preparations. Now it's too late to do those preparations effectively and we missed the opportunity to negotiate, using no deal as a credible threat.

It's easily forgotten we buy more from the EU than they do from us. Tarifs under WTO hurt the EU more than the UK.

It is easily forgotten by the Brexiteers that the rest of EU consists of 27 countries, each of which will take a lot smaller hit than the UK will.
Absolutely. In the short term. Which is why the preparations would have been so important, and it was such a huge mistake not to make them on the scale and timings that they should have been made.

For me - Britain made 3 errors:

1.  Holding a referendum on such a complex issue.  Leaving the EU is impossibly complex.  The average MP would have no idea about the complexities of leaving the EU - both in terms of actually unwinding the relationship, and in forging new relationships with the EU, and the rest of the world.  These are not issues that are best decided by the voting public - and certainly not when the vote is really about broad emotionally-charged issues, and the campaigns are boiled down to tiny sound-bites.

I think it is fair to say, there are carious aspects of the EU that are unappealing to the average Britain.  And, I think those are fair observations.  But, to boil down those issues into a simple Leave or Remain option was a mistake, and a big mistake to make it a binding referendum.  No voter could possibly have understood what "Leave" would look like after negotiations - but they all were seemingly unrealistic in their expectations of how the EU would treat them in the negotiations.

2.  The second mistake Britain made was multi-fold.  Once the referendum was complete - there was a slight lean towards leaving the EU.  It was not a mandate - by any stretch of the imagination.  But, that referendum did give Britain a bit of leverage that it did not ordinarily have in its relationship with the EU.  Instead of jumping straight into Article 50, Britain would have been better served using that result to negotiate with the EU over various important issues - such as immigration, and local sovereignty.  The EU would presumably not have given Britain everything they wanted - but I suspect under threat of leaving, Britain never would have had as much leverage to gain some concessions.  And compromise is at the heart of any negotiation.

3.  The third, and perhaps most glaring, error Britain made was in the current government not backing May's negotiated settlement.  I think many in Britain were expecting the EU to roll over and give Britain everything she wanted in the Brexit negotiations.  That was never going to happen.  The EU effectively hold all the cards here - they have no incentive to give anything away to the country who is leaving.  The British government should have understood that up front, and when they authorized May to negotiate the terms, they should have done so, knowing they will not get everything they want.  Once the negotiating team was empowered - the government should have accepted their best efforts and gotten on with the business of forging new agreements with the US and Asia - and then worked, over time, to mend the fences with Europe, and delivered better trade agreements.
I could pick and choose at small pieces of this, but overall, I agree much more than disagree with most of this.

They failed to correctly analyze prior to the referendum that there would not be a deal that gave voters what they want (democratic control, lower immigration) while being acceptable to the EU, and didn't do enough to debate what Brexit would actually look like prior to the vote.
Wouldn't it have been a much smarter approach for them to have a two phased approach?  First, submit to a vote a proposal to explore what leaving the EU would look like, then present all the realities to the people and have a second vote to leave/not leave?  I don't know enough about politics over there, but I can't help but think there is a good bit of "we didn't know what we didn't know" in terms of what "leaving the EU" meant.  I can't imagine why they would put to a vote something so large without knowing the details and presenting them to the people prior to the vote.

I can't imagine why they would put to a vote something so large without knowing the details and presenting them to the people prior to the vote.
The million dollar question! The issue of the EU was tearing apart the ruling conservative party, so they put a brexit vote in their manifesto. Then there was just plain arrogance on behalf of then prime minister David Cameron that his remain argument would win that he didn't think those leave options needed exploring or fleshing out because they were irrelevant. He thought he could run the referendum, get remain, and his eurosceptic members in the conservative party would have to shut up about it for another 40 years.

The EU had a block on this too though, that they wouldn't discuss any terms of leaving at all until article 50 was invoked, making leaving inevitable (at least, until they recently ruled that article 50 could be unilaterally revoked...). And Cameron did go and try and get some concessions from them before the referendum, and that didn't work either.

One parallel I see between this and USA politics is how party-driven it is. The conservatives have messed this up completely from start to finish, while constantly trying to serve themselves, they've actually gone about destroying themselves and their country. Meanwhile, labour's members of hard lefties have elected as leader someone who is unelectable on a wider scale. I mean, I think both the republicans and democrats also behave far too much in a self-serving way and also fail to come up with presidential candidates with wider appeal outside those voting in the primaries. Then you get candidates no-one wants, and a campaign based on negativity and finger pointing.

The million dollar question! The issue of the EU was tearing apart the ruling conservative party, so they put a brexit vote in their manifesto. Then there was just plain arrogance on behalf of then prime minister David Cameron that his remain argument would win that he didn't think those leave options needed exploring or fleshing out because they were irrelevant. He thought he could run the referendum, get remain, and his eurosceptic members in the conservative party would have to shut up about it for another 40 years.

The EU had a block on this too though, that they wouldn't discuss any terms of leaving at all until article 50 was invoked, making leaving inevitable (at least, until they recently ruled that article 50 could be unilaterally revoked...). And Cameron did go and try and get some concessions from them before the referendum, and that didn't work either.

One parallel I see between this and USA politics is how party-driven it is. The conservatives have messed this up completely from start to finish, while constantly trying to serve themselves, they've actually gone about destroying themselves and their country. Meanwhile, labour's members of hard lefties have elected as leader someone who is unelectable on a wider scale. I mean, I think both the republicans and democrats also behave far too much in a self-serving way and also fail to come up with presidential candidates with wider appeal outside those voting in the primaries. Then you get candidates no-one wants, and a campaign based on negativity and finger pointing.
ah....a piece of info I was not aware of.  Clever by the EU I suppose.  However, it feels like this could be used by those wanting to stay in the EU in a much smarter way.  How?  I'm not sure....just seems that way as an outsider looking in.

One parallel I see between this and USA politics is how party-driven it is.
Another is the breakdown on the vote - in the rural Midlands and Yorkshire - Brexit was winning nearly 60% in some places and around the major cities it was remain 60%.  It's nearly impossible to make everyone happy on this one.  Just like in America the cities are growing and thriving, relying on Foreign trade and commerce. The rural areas - South and Mid West are struggling to stay relevant in that kind of world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Results_of_the_2016_United_Kingdom_European_Union_membership_referendum

Another is the breakdown on the vote - in the rural Midlands and Yorkshire - Brexit was winning nearly 60% in some places and around the major cities it was remain 60%.  It's nearly impossible to make everyone happy on this one.  Just like in America the cities are growing and thriving, relying on Foreign trade and commerce. The rural areas - South and Mid West are struggling to stay relevant in that kind of world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Results_of_the_2016_United_Kingdom_European_Union_membership_referendum
that very argument is part of why I wanted to leave the EU. How can one parliament serve both the interests of Greece and Germany? The last 10 years says it absolutely can't. I believe though that through compromise the same parliament can potentially fairly represent the whole of the UK (it fails to do so now though - clearly!)

I mean, I think both the republicans and democrats also behave far too much in a self-serving way and also fail to come up with presidential candidates with wider appeal outside those voting in the primaries. Then you get candidates no-one wants, and a campaign based on negativity and finger pointing.
This is IMO very clearly wrong, and seems like an error owed to recency bias. The vast majority of general election candidates in our lifetimes have been fairly moderate, especially as compared with their party base, and mostly likable.  This is clearly true with respect to the two general elections that preceded 2016.

It might become true in the future, I can see the possibility on the horizon. But as of now the US has a strong record of moderate general election candidates with broad appeal.  Until Trump this was generally understood to be the formula for success.

This is IMO very clearly wrong, and seems like an error owed to recency bias. The vast majority of general election candidates in our lifetimes have been fairly moderate, especially as compared with their party base, and mostly likable.  This is clearly true with respect to the two general elections that preceded 2016.

It might become true in the future, I can see the possibility on the horizon. But as of now the US has a strong record of moderate general election candidates with broad appeal.  Until Trump this was generally understood to be the formula for success.
That's fair enough. That was a bad example and may well show to be a one-off, but I don't think it's unfair to say that republicans and democrats act too much in the interests of their parties rather than the nation, from time to time.

Apropos of nothing, but I find it amusing that an American, on an American political message board, discussing various world events, would ask the question, "Is Democracy fake in the U.K.?"

You know, because of all the fake democratic systems the U.K. put in place to control us that led to us fighting them and leaving them.

That's fair enough. That was a bad example and may well show to be a one-off, but I don't think it's unfair to say that republicans and democrats act too much in the interests of their parties rather than the nation, from time to time.
I didn't read all your posts in this thread. Would you still vote to leave? I would guess yes because of the original reason seemed you gave to vote leave was quite fundamental.

simon what is the top few reasons that britons voted to leave take that to the bank brohan

I didn't read all your posts in this thread. Would you still vote to leave? I would guess yes because of the original reason seemed you gave to vote leave was quite fundamental.
Yes. But at this point probably for different selfish reasons that apply specifically to our situation (that's why everyone gets a vote, right?!). The democracy thing is less important to me now that the UK parliament has also exposed itself to be undemocratic. That said, at least it tries (or pretends to try). The EU doesn't even bother to hide its self serving globalist bureaucracy.

simon what is the top few reasons that britons voted to leave take that to the bank brohan
Two main groups. Group 1 is the traditional conservative (center-right) voter. I originally was probably more part of this group. They want democracy but they also have a sense of national pride in the UK that they don't have in Europe (a lot in this group will remember being at war with half of it!). Some can see opportunity in not being shackled politically and economically to a failing union (and want out before Italy has a financial meltdown).

Group 2 is the blue collar labour (center-left) voter. They are similarly motivated to the Michigan-Trump vote. Within the EU there is free movement of people. So towns like Boston in Lincolnshire have 11% of people who were born elsewhere in the EU (mainly from eastern european, poorer countries) who are prepared to work illegally in agriculture, below minimum wage, taking jobs away. That's of course an extreme example, but when you tell those people in Boston that there is absolutely nothing we can do to limit any immigration from the EU - literally nothing at all - the entire population of Poland could turn up on their doorstep tomorrow and they'd be nothing the UK could do - that scares the crap out of them. Imagine if you told someone in Michigan, "hey, unless we do something here, all the mexicans are going to come and take your jobs" - oh, wait...

This second group also includes all the coastal towns relying on the fishing industry, who are severely limited in terms of where and how much they can fish (and therefore money they can make) by EU applied quotas to UK waters. Obviously that one doesn't go down well either.

Meanwhile conservatives who are happy with the current situation because they have money and/or opportunity (read: people in cities) want the status quo. And labour city dwellers like the additional legislation the EU provides for workers rights.

So it's a situation setup to divide those two traditional parties. Hence, if it's not sorted soon, my fear that the leave voters from both the left and the right will unite around a nationalist party at the next election. The French have set the precedent here for a party coming out of nowhere to win an election and that doesn't seem to have gone so great for them.

Yes. But at this point probably for different selfish reasons that apply specifically to our situation (that's why everyone gets a vote, right?!). The democracy thing is less important to me now that the UK parliament has also exposed itself to be undemocratic. That said, at least it tries (or pretends to try). The EU doesn't even bother to hide its self serving globalist bureaucracy.

Two main groups. Group 1 is the traditional conservative (center-right) voter. I originally was probably more part of this group. They want democracy but they also have a sense of national pride in the UK that they don't have in Europe (a lot in this group will remember being at war with half of it!). Some can see opportunity in not being shackled politically and economically to a failing union (and want out before Italy has a financial meltdown).

Group 2 is the blue collar labour (center-left) voter. They are similarly motivated to the Michigan-Trump vote. Within the EU there is free movement of people. So towns like Boston in Lincolnshire have 11% of people who were born elsewhere in the EU (mainly from eastern european, poorer countries) who are prepared to work illegally in agriculture, below minimum wage, taking jobs away. That's of course an extreme example, but when you tell those people in Boston that there is absolutely nothing we can do to limit any immigration from the EU - literally nothing at all - the entire population of Poland could turn up on their doorstep tomorrow and they'd be nothing the UK could do - that scares the crap out of them. Imagine if you told someone in Michigan, "hey, unless we do something here, all the mexicans are going to come and take your jobs" - oh, wait...

This second group also includes all the coastal towns relying on the fishing industry, who are severely limited in terms of where and how much they can fish (and therefore money they can make) by EU applied quotas to UK waters. Obviously that one doesn't go down well either.

Meanwhile conservatives who are happy with the current situation because they have money and/or opportunity (read: people in cities) want the status quo. And labour city dwellers like the additional legislation the EU provides for workers rights.

So it's a situation setup to divide those two traditional parties. Hence, if it's not sorted soon, my fear that the leave voters from both the left and the right will unite around a nationalist party at the next election. The French have set the precedent here for a party coming out of nowhere to win an election and that doesn't seem to have gone so great for them.
I don't think the French run a first past the poll per constituency election system for the legislative seats. This (British system) has stymied new parties cropping up in recent times, quite possibly will again.

You might even argue that the French system, by allowing a new part to crop up out of nothing have saved France from being run by a right-populistic xenophobic older party

I don't think the French run a first past the poll per constituency election system for the legislative seats. This (British system) has stymied new parties cropping up in recent times, quite possibly will again.

You might even argue that the French system, by allowing a new part to crop up out of nothing have saved France from being run by a right-populistic xenophobic older party
The presidency is a majority vote, eliminating contenders until someone gets > 50%. But it was followed immediately by a constituency election system where Macron's party, in a coalition, won a majority (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_French_legislative_election)

The main reason why no parties like UKIP have won seats in the house of commons, is because they can easily get 10% of the national vote, but they're always finishing second in individual constituencies. A new right wing party, in the event of remain, will take almost every seat in a leave constituency currently held by a conservative/labour remainer MP.

The presidency is a majority vote, eliminating contenders until someone gets > 50%. But it was followed immediately by a constituency election system where Macron's party, in a coalition, won a majority (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_French_legislative_election)

The main reason why no parties like UKIP have won seats in the house of commons, is because they can easily get 10% of the national vote, but they're always finishing second in individual constituencies. A new right wing party, in the event of remain, will take almost every seat in a leave constituency currently held by a conservative/labour remainer MP.
You should start organizing then

Users who are viewing this thread