What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Do walls work? (1 Viewer)

Henry Ford

Footballguy
In here, I would like to cite examples of historic walls.  Some that work, some that didn’t, but real walls. 

I’ll start with the New Amsterdam Wall, since a reminder of it on social media is what brought this to mind.

In New Amsterdam, the Dutch built a wall approximately twelve feet high running across the island. 

Within 25 years, the British took the island by sea, renamed New Amsterdam as New York, and tore down the wall.  

That’s what used to be where Wall Street now is. 

The Maginot Line did NOT work as hoped and is basically the joke of the wall world.  Turns out you cna go around as well as through over or under a wall.  Who knew??

I think the proper question is does a see through steel slat fence with anti-climbing technology work? Or even better is it a huge waste of resources?

I assume those sound barrier walls they put between highways and neighborhoods work pretty well. They're ugly, but I assume they keep the highway sounds away from the homes.

I was hoping for a Henry Ford's Series on Walls™. Maybe Hadrian's Wall. GWOC of course. Pink Floyd's. Maybe Wahlburgers if you get enough patreon subs.

I would say the answer to the thread title is that it varies depending on the purpose of the wall(s) in question. 

Grateful Dead’s wall of sound was pretty sweet, but I’m not sure it always worked...seems like a nightmare to dial that sound in...

dutch said:
The Maginot Line did NOT work as hoped and is basically the joke of the wall world.  Turns out you cna go around as well as through over or under a wall.  Who knew??
The Maginot Line was not really a wall.  It was a series of concrete bunkers and weapon installations.  That said, it was a wildly expensive project that was 100% ineffective.

I assume those sound barrier walls they put between highways and neighborhoods work pretty well. They're ugly, but I assume they keep the highway sounds away from the homes.
They’re really only effective if you live right behind the wall in the sound shadow.

The Wall didn't keep the Wildlings out of the North in Westeros....and that was a hella lot bigger than Trumps Wall.  Plus....the White Walkers just knocked a hole in it....

I would 100% support a Great Wall of America.

25' tall, 16' wide with periodic slots for archers or snipers.

All brick and stone.

We are probably going to have to bring in a lot of immigrants to help build it.  I figure, maybe 40-50 years?

I would 100% support a Great Wall of America.

25' tall, 16' wide with periodic slots for archers or snipers.

All brick and stone.

We are probably going to have to bring in a lot of immigrants to help build it.  I figure, maybe 40-50 years?
Can we use it to separate the Trumpets from the sane people?

Users who are viewing this thread