What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

** Dallas Cowboys** 2019, you sucked (4 Viewers)

Cowboysfan8

Footballguy
Linehan must go in my opinion. I just can't watch this stale , predictable nonsense anymore.

Please keep Richard. He seems to be the only member of the coaching staff that has any fire, and that isn't afraid to get in players faces when necessary.

Get well soon Fredbeard. We missed ya big fella 

What's on your wish list for 2019 'Boys fans?

Last edited by a moderator:
Morning!

Before the day is out number 1 & 2 should be checked off as “complete”.

1) Fire Linahan

2)Demote Kellen Moore to asst QB Coach

3)Hire innovative OC who insists that Dak run, Zeke run, lots of PA and crossing routs.

4)Hire QB Guru/Coach to move in with Dak

Morning!

Before the day is out number 1 & 2 should be checked off as “complete”.

1) Fire Linahan

2)Demote Kellen Moore to asst QB Coach

3)Hire innovative OC who insists that Dak run, Zeke run, lots of PA and crossing routs.

4)Hire QB Guru/Coach to move in with Dak
Totally agree that this is a good plan for the Cowboys. Unfortunately, I could see Jones standing pat with the current coaching staff because of how the Cowboys played down the stretch. Time for GM Jones to make a smart move and fix the offensive coaching.

Totally agree that this is a good plan for the Cowboys. Unfortunately, I could see Jones standing pat with the current coaching staff because of how the Cowboys played down the stretch. Time for GM Jones to make a smart move and fix the offensive coaching.
I read somewhere yesterday that there's talk of promoting the TE coach Nussmeier to OC

Idk anything about him

Quick positional rundown? 

Offense first:

QB 

Need QB coach and veteran backup in Daks ear. 

RB

Need more speed, CoP back

WR/TE

Resign Beasley cheap 

Add more talent via draft/FA

OL

If Frederick comes back we will have just a treasure trove of talent in and out of the starting lineup. With how well he played all year I’m not sure how you keep Looney away from Conner Williams’ spot next season. We’ve got so many guys coming back from IR that we haven’t even been able to use. 

I read somewhere yesterday that there's talk of promoting the TE coach Nussmeier to OC

Idk anything about him
Decent AA college quarterback, backup for a few years in the NFL, coached under Steve Sarkisian and Nick Saban. Worked with  AJ McCarron(sp?)

Saw that. I'm not a huge fan if Garrett, but the way the league recycles coaches it wouldn't surprise me if he got a HC job quickly.

Adam Gase etc. get picked right up ...
Based on his press conference, didn't he change the spelling to Adam Gaze? (rimshot)

STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:
OL

If Frederick comes back we will have just a treasure trove of talent in and out of the starting lineup. With how well he played all year I’m not sure how you keep Looney away from Conner Williams’ spot next season. We’ve got so many guys coming back from IR that we haven’t even been able to use. 
Conner Williams barely played his final season in college due to injury, and played OT. Between getting healthy, adjusting to a new position, and being a rookie, he had a lot to overcome to be even decent. I think its very reasonable to expect a massive jump in year 2.

Conner Williams barely played his final season in college due to injury, and played OT. Between getting healthy, adjusting to a new position, and being a rookie, he had a lot to overcome to be even decent. I think its very reasonable to expect a massive jump in year 2.
I agree. Anither year of strength training and an off-season to bulk up will do wonders for him. 

Long…apologies.

QB: Dak Prescott, Cooper Rush, Mike White

I won’t draw this out too long – most of you know I where I stand with Dak.  I don’t think it’s wise to back the brinks truck up for him. I have no time for Cooper Rush and am interested more in Mike White.  This IS a position need and needs to be addressed.

RB: Ezekiel Elliott, Rod Smith, Darius Jackson

Zeke is great, Rod is solid.  I would love to see a COP back with speed to burn and who can catch the ball.

FB: Jamize Olawale

As far as full backs go – he is fine. I would much prefer a scheme that does not require a roster spot taken up by a FB.  Please get a new OC.

WR: Amari Cooper, Michael Gallup, Cole Beasley, Allen Hurns, Tavon Austin (PR), Noah Brown, Lance Lenoir, Terrance Williams (IR), Cedrick Wilson (IR)

I was not a huge fan of the trade and am still not – because the price not the player.  I think Cooper is better than expected and he balled – no doubt and I admit I was incorrect on his talent.  However, I still am not thrilled with the 1rst round pick traded.  I think a 2nd round with additional pick could have gotten the job done. Loved the Gallup draft pick last year and he did NOT disappoint in his rookie campaign.  He played great in the playoffs and during the year, he handled his business. Gallup could have had at 2-4 more TD’s where he was missed while wide open. Grrr….Dak. LOL.

I believe that Hurns injury likely means he played his last down for Dallas – sorry but business is business.  I am completely OK with Dallas walking away from Beasley, Williams and Austin.  Brown is an OK depth player. WR is another need in FA/draft.

TE: Blake Jarwin, Dalton Schultz, Rico Gathers, Geoff Swaim (IR)

They came on late – but this may be the worst position group of our team.  The Rico experiment can end anytime now.  This group is a MUST upgrade.

Oline:

LT: Tyron Smith, Cameron Fleming

LG: Xavier SuaFilo

😄 Joe Looney, Adam Redmond, Travis Frederick (NFI)

RG: Connor Williams, Zack Martin (INJ), Parker Ehinger (IR), Marcus Martin (IR)

RT: Lael Collins

Some general thoughts: We have elite talent and depth here. Yet it still doesn’t seem to come all together. Coaching?  I think Tyron is not the same guy we saw 2 years ago. Looney was impressive in replacing Fred. I really hope he can return at full health, despite Looney’s good play Fred’s leadership was missed.

Collins is Average and slightly over-rated imo.  Williams the rookie was bull rushed a lot and had an up and down year – not surprising for a rookie.  He needs a good offseason in the weight room.  Overall this on paper is still our best position group (Maybe LB).  Not a need for FA/draft imo.

Front 7:

DT: Tyrone Crawford, Antwaun Woods, Maliek Collins, David Irving, Caraun Reid, Richard Ash (IR)

DE: DeMarcus Lawrence, Taco Charlton, Randy Gregory, Dorance Armstrong, Daniel Ross, Datone Jones (IR)

MLB: Jaylon Smith

OLB: Leighton Vander Esch (W/M), Damien Wilson (S), Sean Lee (W), Justin March-Lillard (S), Joe Thomas (W), Chris Covington (S)

I really like the growth and depth of our front 7.  The play of Smith and LVE is VERY encouraging.  I love the speed and scheme flexibility they provide.  It’s probably time to trade Lee or offer him the LB Coach job.

We flashed some pass rush early in the year, but that pressure was NOT consistent toward the end of the year.  Lawrence should be kept.  If Gregory can keep his affairs straight he looks good.  Taco hopefully grows up.  The thing that is missing for me, is a 1T.  We really need someone to push the pocket and draw some double teams to let our fast LB’s mop up the run game.  If Richard is given the DC job this will be the single biggest item I will be watching. 

CB: Chidobe Awuzie, Byron Jones, Anthony Brown, Jourdan Lewis (KR)

S: Jeff Heath (SS), Xavier Woods (FS), Kavon Frazier (FS), Darian Thompson, Jameill Showers (IR)

Us fans who were YELLING to play Jones at CB were proven right.  He was a Top 8 CB in the league. He needs to be signed.  I thoughts the entire CB group showed big improvement, but would still like to see more INT’s.  The safety group is serviceable and Heath has heart, but I think can all agree that another Safety would be welcomed.  Are we making an Earl Thomas run still after the injury?

K: Brett Maher

P: Jones

For a rookie Maher was decent – impressive range.  Missing extra points and short FG’s will get you cut quickly. Happy to give him another year.  Jones is great – one of the best.

Coaches:

Head Coach: Jason Garrett, Off Coord: Scott Linehan, QB Coach: Kellen Moore, RB Coach: Gary Brown, WR Coach: Sanjay Lal, TE Coach: Doug Nussmeier, OL Coach: Marc Colombo, OL Coach: Paul Alexander, Def Coord: Rod Marinelli, DL Coach: Leon Lett, LB Coach: Ben Bloom, DB Coach: Kris Richard, DB Coach: Greg Jackson

I won’t go on anther epic rant about why Garrett is not a good HC, it’s a waste of my time and keystrokes.  Jerry likes him and he’s coming back.  Now, I can live it ONLY if the following happens.  Linehan – GONE, Kellen Moore -really?  BYE.  This whole offense needs a reboot and fresh set of eyes.  I want someone young from college, not some old school dinosaur still running air coryell.  I want to maximize the pressure we put on defenses, with motion, picks, speed and the fact our Oline can punch you in the mouth and have Zeke gash 7 in the box.  I’m not being over dramatic when I say – this decision to fire Linehan will have a 5-7 year negative impact on the team.  It will burn the Zeke and Oline years and keep Dak stagnant on his progression curve. 

It’s time to let Richard take the DC ob. If Rod wants to be DLine coach-fine by me. They rest of the group aside from Columbo and Lal – can all disappear too.  Although, I hear internally our management is high on Nussmeier.  Anyone know why?

Next year:

I see another battle with Philly for the division.  The Giants are improving, but too many holes still. The Redskins are going to be a dumpster fire imo.

I think he played decently this year - I would not be opposed to trying him at RT either.  I really think he needs a BIG off-season in the weight room. 

Long…apologies.

QB: Dak Prescott, Cooper Rush, Mike White

I won’t draw this out too long – most of you know I where I stand with Dak.  I don’t think it’s wise to back the brinks truck up for him. I have no time for Cooper Rush and am interested more in Mike White.  This IS a position need and needs to be addressed.

RB: Ezekiel Elliott, Rod Smith, Darius Jackson

Zeke is great, Rod is solid.  I would love to see a COP back with speed to burn and who can catch the ball.

FB: Jamize Olawale

As far as full backs go – he is fine. I would much prefer a scheme that does not require a roster spot taken up by a FB.  Please get a new OC.

WR: Amari Cooper, Michael Gallup, Cole Beasley, Allen Hurns, Tavon Austin (PR), Noah Brown, Lance Lenoir, Terrance Williams (IR), Cedrick Wilson (IR)

I was not a huge fan of the trade and am still not – because the price not the player.  I think Cooper is better than expected and he balled – no doubt and I admit I was incorrect on his talent.  However, I still am not thrilled with the 1rst round pick traded.  I think a 2nd round with additional pick could have gotten the job done. Loved the Gallup draft pick last year and he did NOT disappoint in his rookie campaign.  He played great in the playoffs and during the year, he handled his business. Gallup could have had at 2-4 more TD’s where he was missed while wide open. Grrr….Dak. LOL.

I believe that Hurns injury likely means he played his last down for Dallas – sorry but business is business.  I am completely OK with Dallas walking away from Beasley, Williams and Austin.  Brown is an OK depth player. WR is another need in FA/draft.

TE: Blake Jarwin, Dalton Schultz, Rico Gathers, Geoff Swaim (IR)

They came on late – but this may be the worst position group of our team.  The Rico experiment can end anytime now.  This group is a MUST upgrade.

Oline:

LT: Tyron Smith, Cameron Fleming

LG: Xavier SuaFilo

😄 Joe Looney, Adam Redmond, Travis Frederick (NFI)

RG: Connor Williams, Zack Martin (INJ), Parker Ehinger (IR), Marcus Martin (IR)

RT: Lael Collins

Some general thoughts: We have elite talent and depth here. Yet it still doesn’t seem to come all together. Coaching?  I think Tyron is not the same guy we saw 2 years ago. Looney was impressive in replacing Fred. I really hope he can return at full health, despite Looney’s good play Fred’s leadership was missed.

Collins is Average and slightly over-rated imo.  Williams the rookie was bull rushed a lot and had an up and down year – not surprising for a rookie.  He needs a good offseason in the weight room.  Overall this on paper is still our best position group (Maybe LB).  Not a need for FA/draft imo.

Front 7:

DT: Tyrone Crawford, Antwaun Woods, Maliek Collins, David Irving, Caraun Reid, Richard Ash (IR)

DE: DeMarcus Lawrence, Taco Charlton, Randy Gregory, Dorance Armstrong, Daniel Ross, Datone Jones (IR)

MLB: Jaylon Smith

OLB: Leighton Vander Esch (W/M), Damien Wilson (S), Sean Lee (W), Justin March-Lillard (S), Joe Thomas (W), Chris Covington (S)

I really like the growth and depth of our front 7.  The play of Smith and LVE is VERY encouraging.  I love the speed and scheme flexibility they provide.  It’s probably time to trade Lee or offer him the LB Coach job.

We flashed some pass rush early in the year, but that pressure was NOT consistent toward the end of the year.  Lawrence should be kept.  If Gregory can keep his affairs straight he looks good.  Taco hopefully grows up.  The thing that is missing for me, is a 1T.  We really need someone to push the pocket and draw some double teams to let our fast LB’s mop up the run game.  If Richard is given the DC job this will be the single biggest item I will be watching. 

CB: Chidobe Awuzie, Byron Jones, Anthony Brown, Jourdan Lewis (KR)

S: Jeff Heath (SS), Xavier Woods (FS), Kavon Frazier (FS), Darian Thompson, Jameill Showers (IR)

Us fans who were YELLING to play Jones at CB were proven right.  He was a Top 8 CB in the league. He needs to be signed.  I thoughts the entire CB group showed big improvement, but would still like to see more INT’s.  The safety group is serviceable and Heath has heart, but I think can all agree that another Safety would be welcomed.  Are we making an Earl Thomas run still after the injury?

K: Brett Maher

P: Jones

For a rookie Maher was decent – impressive range.  Missing extra points and short FG’s will get you cut quickly. Happy to give him another year.  Jones is great – one of the best.

Coaches:

Head Coach: Jason Garrett, Off Coord: Scott Linehan, QB Coach: Kellen Moore, RB Coach: Gary Brown, WR Coach: Sanjay Lal, TE Coach: Doug Nussmeier, OL Coach: Marc Colombo, OL Coach: Paul Alexander, Def Coord: Rod Marinelli, DL Coach: Leon Lett, LB Coach: Ben Bloom, DB Coach: Kris Richard, DB Coach: Greg Jackson

I won’t go on anther epic rant about why Garrett is not a good HC, it’s a waste of my time and keystrokes.  Jerry likes him and he’s coming back.  Now, I can live it ONLY if the following happens.  Linehan – GONE, Kellen Moore -really?  BYE.  This whole offense needs a reboot and fresh set of eyes.  I want someone young from college, not some old school dinosaur still running air coryell.  I want to maximize the pressure we put on defenses, with motion, picks, speed and the fact our Oline can punch you in the mouth and have Zeke gash 7 in the box.  I’m not being over dramatic when I say – this decision to fire Linehan will have a 5-7 year negative impact on the team.  It will burn the Zeke and Oline years and keep Dak stagnant on his progression curve. 

It’s time to let Richard take the DC ob. If Rod wants to be DLine coach-fine by me. They rest of the group aside from Columbo and Lal – can all disappear too.  Although, I hear internally our management is high on Nussmeier.  Anyone know why?

Next year:

I see another battle with Philly for the division.  The Giants are improving, but too many holes still. The Redskins are going to be a dumpster fire imo.
Are you saying if we fire Linahan it sets everything back or if we keep him it sets everything back? 

Also, our Oline is our strength but they are more technical/athletic than they are maulers. I’m not sure they can punch anybody in the mouth. 

I love your (correct) idea to move Conner Williams to RT. He has great feet and would be a natural. That would allow you to move Collins back to guard and he can be the mauler he truly is and maybe we can have at least one guy who will punch folks in the mouth again. 

I fear we gave Collins an understanding that he will get every chance to make tackle money when we signed him post draft. 

Saw that. I'm not a huge fan if Garrett, but the way the league recycles coaches it wouldn't surprise me if he got a HC job quickly.

Adam Gase etc. get picked right up ...
yeah, those photos from the Gase press conferences were fantastic. Hard starting out that way, but good for the rest of us.

And AFC East is really funny with that. They are very inbred with coaching choices and just passing them back and forth between each other.

The Redskins are going to be a dumpster fire imo.
procrastinating like a mother F'er at work today, but I think I disagree with the above here. While not sexy, before the absurd amount of injuries the Redskins were a competitive team each week. They should have an ok schedule again ending the year in 3rd, and are getting Guice back for a legit RB threat. If Alex Smith was my team's QB I would honestly not watch, but if not for the injuries on their OL and with Smith I think they win the division this year. Maybe they were a 1 year fluke, but I can't anticipate an easy game against them next year.

And Giants are interesting. I keep hearing rumors about the Giants being very interested in Foles, and seeing him with NYG would be interesting.

procrastinating like a mother F'er at work today, but I think I disagree with the above here. While not sexy, before the absurd amount of injuries the Redskins were a competitive team each week. They should have an ok schedule again ending the year in 3rd, and are getting Guice back for a legit RB threat. If Alex Smith was my team's QB I would honestly not watch, but if not for the injuries on their OL and with Smith I think they win the division this year. Maybe they were a 1 year fluke, but I can't anticipate an easy game against them next year.

And Giants are interesting. I keep hearing rumors about the Giants being very interested in Foles, and seeing him with NYG would be interesting.
Alex Smith may not even play again. If he does he won’t be emery mobile as he was, certainly not his first year of ever. On top of that they have to pay him. 

The Skins second half schedule was brutal and they weren’t gonna win most of those games with or without Smith. 

Giants will benefit from a softer schedule but they’re built all wrong. All skill guys with weak OL/DLs. 

yeah, those photos from the Gase press conferences were fantastic. Hard starting out that way, but good for the rest of us.

And AFC East is really funny with that. They are very inbred with coaching choices and just passing them back and forth between each other.
I know everyone thinks Garrett sucks but he seems to have learned from his past mistakes, goes for it when he should and his guys play hard for him. They also all sound like him now. I’d like a little more militaristic approach but that doesn’t fly with players today. 

Besides, he’s good enough to sweep the Eagles. 

I know everyone thinks Garrett sucks but he seems to have learned from his past mistakes, goes for it when he should and his guys play hard for him. They also all sound like him now. I’d like a little more militaristic approach but that doesn’t fly with players today. 

Besides, he’s good enough to sweep the Eagles. 
I am just glad Pederson doesn't have something like all the shots of Eli with his dopey face, or Garrett standing on the sideline clapping. For the next few months, that is good enough for me :P

I am just glad Pederson doesn't have something like all the shots of Eli with his dopey face, or Garrett standing on the sideline clapping. For the next few months, that is good enough for me :P
Garrett was obviously sat down by his family members as I havent seen him clap in weeks. 

Not sure what Peterson’s “thing” is. I dont pay much attention to the Eagles.

Are you saying if we fire Linahan it sets everything back or if we keep him it sets everything back? 

Also, our Oline is our strength but they are more technical/athletic than they are maulers. I’m not sure they can punch anybody in the mouth. 

I love your (correct) idea to move Conner Williams to RT. He has great feet and would be a natural. That would allow you to move Collins back to guard and he can be the mauler he truly is and maybe we can have at least one guy who will punch folks in the mouth again. 

I fear we gave Collins an understanding that he will get every chance to make tackle money when we signed him post draft. 
If we keep Linehan - we will waste the entire window of Zeke and the Oline and the young defense.  

It's hard to just project Guice to be amazing right away - despite a good Oline in Washington.  I think we all saw that with Dalvin Cook this year.  With no Alex Smith - they will need to find a replacement and I am not up on their cap situation, but would be surprised if was really good especially facing the A Smith issues.  I still see it as a 2 team division.

Garrett was obviously sat down by his family members as I havent seen him clap in weeks. 

Not sure what Peterson’s “thing” is. I dont pay much attention to the Eagles.
Yeah, I'm thinking he got word of the nickname "Clapper".

Way less clapping now. If he could only wipe that smile from his face when something goes wrong.

Yeah, I'm thinking he got word of the nickname "Clapper".

Way less clapping now. If he could only wipe that smile from his face when something goes wrong.
So you basically just want him to stand there. Effective use of a head coach.

I am just joking with you, FJ. I know you would have the Cowboys move on from Garrett if you could.

I can reluctantly put up with Garrett since he's possibly made baby steps in his aggressiveness. He still has a ways to go to becoming a good head coach and I would have preferred him gone. BUT, Linehan HAD to get his stale, tired, predictable playbook down the road. He was horrible. Hopefully, it makes JG a bit better too.

Congrats Cowboy fans! I was hoping the Cowboys would stand pat, but they made the right move. I hear Jeff Fisher has put his hat in the ring to be OC.

I'd have to defer to a Cowboys fan for this after they make a hire.  You have Garret come out and say everyone is staying and then (cant remember if it was him or Jerry) come back out later on and say they haven't made a decision.  Moves like that are how you lose a locker room.  They're offense seemed to get better with Cooper and with an off-season it could have got better.  Starting over with someone new could be a step back if this one isn't that good

https://www.cover1.net/dallas-cowboys-pass-plays-2018-most-common/

"The Dallas Cowboys have changed little since 2016. The pass tendencies of this year’s iteration were nearly identical to the team’s tendencies in 2017 and 2016"
Linehan sucked. There's some proof ^

There's also a story I read somewhere that the players were tired of the same old also.

On Cooper's long td against Philly Dak called a play in the huddle. Cooper reportedly said "C'mon ..AGAIN?".  Dak said "just run it".

Then audibled at the line to the Cooper td play 

I highly doubt any of the players are sad to see him go

Congrats Cowboy fans! I was hoping the Cowboys would stand pat, but they made the right move. I hear Jeff Fisher has put his hat in the ring to be OC.
The only ring he should put his hat in is the bull fighting ring.... Or maybe Barnum & Bailey's Three Ring Circus. Dudes a clown.

Linehan sucked. There's some proof ^

There's also a story I read somewhere that the players were tired of the same old also.

On Cooper's long td against Philly Dak called a play in the huddle. Cooper reportedly said "C'mon ..AGAIN?".  Dak said "just run it".

Then audibled at the line to the Cooper td play 

I highly doubt any of the players are sad to see him go
Yes, players in private are happy he's gone. Definitely not the kind of thing that "lose a locker room", but brings them together.

Bankerguy said:
Christmas has arrived. 
Good luck with the next OC hire and hope for your sakes that Halloween or even Ground Hog Day does not follow close behind your Christmas gift!

Users who are viewing this thread