What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Top 10 QB's of All Time (1 Viewer)

ZenoRazon

Footballguy
Key words....All Time.  So it's more about dominance of era than just stats, numbers.

I will pass on Slingin' Sammy Baugh and those prior to the 40's, things were just too different way back then.

I like to start with Otto Graham, imagine ten title games in ten seasons, nobody ever dominated the QB position like he did.

But it does get weird with any All Time list, the obvious reason is we know Otto, Johnny U, Frantic Fran would stand no chance vs these defenders today, none! Imagine these guys today in 1966.

So we have to forget that and go with that dominace of era. There are only two players I think could play in every era and 20 years from now...Jim Brown and Bob Hayes (he'd blow Tyreek Hill totally away)

So in my opinion, based on having seen them all other than Graham (seen videos)

1.Tom Brady  without question THE GOAT

2.Joe Montana  the poster boy for cool,  placing the ball so receivers never slowed.

3.Drew Brees  there is a reason he owns all the records.

4.Peyton Manning  it's his records Brees is breaking

5.Otto Graham  when he retired he was the greatest QB in the history of the game.

6.Dan Marino  the best preview of what was to come.

7.Johnny Unitas  the total package

8.Aaron Rodgers  will move up this list before he retires,

9.Brett Favre  freakish arm and is still among the stat leaders

10.Fran Tarkenton  after all these years he is still in the All Time top 15 stat wise,  A novelty in his day.

Trying to come up with the next 10 would be harder, now it's Big Ben, Steve Young, Warren Moon, Eli Manning, Philip Rivers, John Elway, Roger Staubach, Troy Aikman, Jim Kelly, Dan Fouts, Ken Stabler, Terry Bradshaw, Kurt Warner.

I do expect to see Russell Wilson***,  and if Patrick Mahomes keeps doing what he;'s doing, to be among those listed above someday.

*** nobody mentioned above had more wins at the same stage of the career or owned more records/firsts.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't put Brees in the top 10, he's the NFL's version of a baseball stat compiler pitcher. You're starting a franchise today you'd really take Brees over Elway?! please. Manning took 2 different teams to the SB - and won.that HAS to be worth something.

I'd go 

1. montana

Brady

Manning

Elway

Rodgers

Staubach

Aikman

Kelly

Marino

Big Ben

then the others...Unitas , Graham really can't be compared to these other guys. Youd have to add Starr to the list if you did so, he won what 3 titles and 2 SBs in a row? something like that..Favre was great but threw a TON of picks to be considered a top 10 of all time. Tarkenton was awesome but he wasnt near the top 10 of all time.You'd NEVER take him over Steve Young , ever. Big Ben is as clutch as you'll ever see out of a QB! 

it's like Jim Brown couldn't touch Marshall Faulk and Dickerson and some of these modern day RBs with recs AND rush yards. Brown played in an 8 team league right? were defenses as developed as they are today? heck no.that's why Faulk was THAT much more special. Brown doesn't even get in the same ballpark as some of these guys..oh, and he carried the ball so carelessly he'd leadd the modern day NFL in fumbles and be  benched after 2 games.LOL

I wouldn't put Brees in the top 10, he's the NFL's version of a baseball stat compiler pitcher. You're starting a franchise today you'd really take Brees over Elway?! please. Manning took 2 different teams to the SB - and won.that HAS to be worth something.

I'd go 

1. montana

Brady

Manning

Elway

Rodgers

Staubach

Aikman

Kelly

Marino

Big Ben

then the others...Unitas , Graham really can't be compared to these other guys. Youd have to add Starr to the list if you did so, he won what 3 titles and 2 SBs in a row? something like that..Favre was great but threw a TON of picks to be considered a top 10 of all time. Tarkenton was awesome but he wasnt near the top 10 of all time.You'd NEVER take him over Steve Young , ever. Big Ben is as clutch as you'll ever see out of a QB! 

it's like Jim Brown couldn't touch Marshall Faulk and Dickerson and some of these modern day RBs with recs AND rush yards. Brown played in an 8 team league right? were defenses as developed as they are today? heck no.that's why Faulk was THAT much more special. Brown doesn't even get in the same ballpark as some of these guys..oh, and he carried the ball so carelessly he'd leadd the modern day NFL in fumbles and be  benched after 2 games.LOL
If starting a team I'll take Brees over Aikman. Troy was perfect for the cowboys but isn't all that close to the top 10 all time.

Just of the QBs I've seen play: 

A Brady

B Montana, Manning, Marino

C Elway, Brees, favre, young, Rodgers, Moon

Honorable mention for shining brightly but not lasting: Kurt Warner

It is impossible for me to discuss quarterbacks I never saw (like Unitas, who is the top 10 for most), so going with quarterbacks I have seen since I started watching football (listed in order of when they came in to the league)...

Montana
Elway
Marino
Young
Favre
P. Manning
Brady
Brees
Rodgers

I'd have to think about who the 10th is. 

I'd go 

1. montana

Brady

Manning

Elway

Rodgers

Staubach

Aikman

Kelly

Marino

Big Ben

Aikman at #7 Alltime?! Jim Brown benched in today's NFL?! :no:

I'd go 

1. montana

Brady

Manning

Elway

Rodgers

Staubach

Aikman

Kelly

Marino

Big Ben

Start at the bottom work up.

There was never an 8 team NFL.

Jim Brown was 6-2 230 with 4.5 jets, hell...returned kickoffs early on, he could without question play right now. He was a better all around athlete than most the NFLers today, an amazing athlete.

Keep in mind...ALL TIME...which means we must look at...dominance of era.  Nobody ever dominating his era like Otto Graham.

Bart Starr was the classic "game Manager"  who was surrounded by a team of HOFers, he was not a great QB.

While not all about numbers, if you compare what Elway did vs Brees it;s not remotely close. All Brees.

I'd go 

1. montana

Brady

Manning

Elway

Rodgers

Staubach

Aikman

Kelly

Marino

Big Ben

Top to bottom one of the worst posts I've ever read.  This is a prime example of being extremely over-opinionated with zero logic and reason.

If starting a team I'll take Brees over Aikman. Troy was perfect for the cowboys but isn't all that close to the top 10 all time.

Just of the QBs I've seen play: 

A Brady

B Montana, Manning, Marino

C Elway, Brees, favre, young, Rodgers, Moon

Honorable mention for shining brightly but not lasting: Kurt Warner
Aikman can be argued top 20, but as you said not top 10.

ALL TIME........tells us a guy like Jesse Owens who couldn't hang with HS kids today deserves mention. You must talk Rocky Marciano if talking the great heavyweights, the Lombardi Packers when great football teams (Clemson would have killed them),

It's never about what the legends could do today, never.

I see a couple people making the case for Montana as the greatest ever, and i wanted to help make it easier for you. 

1. Montana

40,551 passing yards

273 touchdowns

117-47 record as starter

16-7 playoff record (16 playoff wins is most of any quarterback in history) 

4 superbowl appearances

4 superbowl wins

3 time superbowl mvp

2 time nfl mvp

2. Brady 2001 to 2010

34738 passing yards

261 touchdowns

111-32 record as starter

14-5 playoff record (14 playoff wins is tied for second most in history) 

4 superbowl appearances

3 superbowl wins

2 time superbowl mvp

2 time nfl mvp

3. Brady 2011 to present

35776 passing yards

256 touchdowns

14-5 playoff record (14 playoff wins is tied for second most in history) 

4 superbowl appearances

2 superbowl wins

2 time superbowl mvp

1 time nfl mvp

Montana is as good or even slightly better than either Tom Brady in every category.

2001 to 2010 Brady's numbers are slightly better than 2011 to 2018, and he retired as the league mvp with the record for most passing touchdowns in a season and second most passing yards in a season. 

2011 to 2018 Brady has been to the afc championship game every single year of his career.  

You could probably even put Peyton manning ahead of either of them - with a 14-13 playoff record he had as many wins as either of the 14-5 Bradys, he retired with 1,426 more yards and 22 more touchdowns than the two Bradys combined.  One of the bradys already bested Manning's two rings and 4 superbowl appearances, while the other has matched it and is playing this weekend for a chance to surpass it.  

That makes it easier because the actual tom brady is lapping the field now.  

I'm gonna count guys who played in the 40's, because its unfair not to. The NFL back then, is every bit as meaningful as it is now, even if the style has changed.

1. Peyton Manning, I don't know when it happened, but he became so underrated all of a sudden. Was it that final Denver year? Everybody talks about how Mike McCarthy wasted Aaron Rodgers prime, and was a bad coach because he only won 1 Super Bowl with him. If that is the case(and it shouldn't be) then that should apply even more to Tony Dungy with Manning. Manning is the smartest player in NFL history, he knew what defenses were going to do, often before they even did. 

2. Otto Graham, one half of the most successful coach/QB combo in history. Graham was decades ahead of his time, while still being a high end defensive back early in his career. 7 championships, only 13 career losses, a 9.0 yards per attempt, and 39 more TD's than INT's, in an era where almost everybody had many more INT's than TD's.

3. Johnny Unitas, held every major passing record when he retired, won 3 titles, and was arguably the most well known player when the NFL was introduced to television. When I visited the NFL HOF, 2 players had sections dedicated entirely about learning about him, Unitas was one of them...

4. Sid Luckman, and Luckman was the other. Luckman won 4 titles in a 7 year span, and had a season in 1943 that was incredible, and when compared to his peers, is the best single season any QB has ever had in my opinion. Only Sammy Baugh was even in his league at all. Only 2 QB's had more than 9 TD's that year, Luckman had 28. Only 2 QB's had more than 875 yards, Luckman had over 2,000. Luckman averaged a video game like 11 YPA, next best was Baugh at 7.3. A 107 passer rating, when nobody else topped 80. In the Championship game, he threw for 286 yards, 5 TD's and 0 INT's, with 11 YPA, still to this day the best championship performance by any QB ever.

5. Sammy Baugh, he and Luckman were the Manning/Brady of their era, with Graham coming in as a rich man's Rodgers. Anyway, Baugh was simply put, an amazing football player. he was a good RB, a great DB, and an elite punter, in addition to also being an elite QB. Baugh won 2 titles, and had an amazing 1945 season, where he completed 70% of his passes, a record that stood for over 60 years, and had a 109 passer rating, which stood for almost 50.

6. Tom Brady

7. Brett Favre

8. Dan Marino

9. Joe Montana

10. Y.A. Tittle

I'm gonna count guys who played in the 40's, because its unfair not to. The NFL back then, is every bit as meaningful as it is now, even if the style has changed.

1. Peyton Manning, I don't know when it happened, but he became so underrated all of a sudden. Was it that final Denver year? Everybody talks about how Mike McCarthy wasted Aaron Rodgers prime, and was a bad coach because he only won 1 Super Bowl with him. If that is the case(and it shouldn't be) then that should apply even more to Tony Dungy with Manning. Manning is the smartest player in NFL history, he knew what defenses were going to do, often before they even did. 

2. Otto Graham, one half of the most successful coach/QB combo in history. Graham was decades ahead of his time, while still being a high end defensive back early in his career. 7 championships, only 13 career losses, a 9.0 yards per attempt, and 39 more TD's than INT's, in an era where almost everybody had many more INT's than TD's.

3. Johnny Unitas, held every major passing record when he retired, won 3 titles, and was arguably the most well known player when the NFL was introduced to television. When I visited the NFL HOF, 2 players had sections dedicated entirely about learning about him, Unitas was one of them...

4. Sid Luckman, and Luckman was the other. Luckman won 4 titles in a 7 year span, and had a season in 1943 that was incredible, and when compared to his peers, is the best single season any QB has ever had in my opinion. Only Sammy Baugh was even in his league at all. Only 2 QB's had more than 9 TD's that year, Luckman had 28. Only 2 QB's had more than 875 yards, Luckman had over 2,000. Luckman averaged a video game like 11 YPA, next best was Baugh at 7.3. A 107 passer rating, when nobody else topped 80. In the Championship game, he threw for 286 yards, 5 TD's and 0 INT's, with 11 YPA, still to this day the best championship performance by any QB ever.

5. Sammy Baugh, he and Luckman were the Manning/Brady of their era, with Graham coming in as a rich man's Rodgers. Anyway, Baugh was simply put, an amazing football player. he was a good RB, a great DB, and an elite punter, in addition to also being an elite QB. Baugh won 2 titles, and had an amazing 1945 season, where he completed 70% of his passes, a record that stood for over 60 years, and had a 109 passer rating, which stood for almost 50.

6. Tom Brady

7. Brett Favre

8. Dan Marino

9. Joe Montana

10. Y.A. Tittle
That was pretty good, and it does get funky, trying to compare back in the day vs today.

I will be back later to cut into that a bit.

Try to imagine how Tom Brady would fare in the 70s and 80s and even 90s? He would be on IR. Not because he wouldn't get protection but because someone would get tired of him and take him out, complete with penalty. See Turkey Jones on Bradshaw. His body would not hold up in the NFL circa 70's & 80s. He would not have any of the records he currently has. Neither would Manning or Brees. Only Favre might have.

Now imagine Joe Montana et al. in today game where you are not allowed to be touched. Imagine Marino's numbers.

Guys I have seen play:

1. Dan Marino

2. Joe Montana

3. Drew Brees

4. Peyton Manning

5. Brett Favre

6. Aaron Rodgers

7. Steve Young

8. Roger Staubach

9. John Elway

10. Tom Brady

Try to imagine how Tom Brady would fare in the 70s and 80s and even 90s? He would be on IR. Not because he wouldn't get protection but because someone would get tired of him and take him out, complete with penalty. See Turkey Jones on Bradshaw. His body would not hold up in the NFL circa 70's & 80s. He would not have any of the records he currently has. Neither would Manning or Brees. Only Favre might have.

Now imagine Joe Montana et al. in today game where you are not allowed to be touched. Imagine Marino's numbers.
Toughest SOB I ever saw play the QB position. Just a man's man at the QB position. 

100% agree with Montana and Marino as well. It would be ridiculous.  And we can go into WR's numbers as well. Guys today cry so much it is disgusting.

Brady is about to play his 39th playoff game. He's 28-10 so far, with 5 superbowl victories. 

Think about what that means. 

First, it means he's led his team to the playoffs 16 times - ten ending in losses, 5 ending in titles, and the 16th this year.  

That means that brady led his team to the playoffs 16 times in 19 years.  That's an nfl record, formerly held by peyton manning with 15. 

Two of those years (2000 and 2008), brady wasn't playing.  And in 2002 they finished with a 9-7 record and led the division when their final game ended. 

During that time they didn't earn any early picks.  They picked in the 20s or 30s every year.

They didn't get to start a Russell Wilson style rookie qb contract, either. In 2001, the Patriots were playing Bledsoe,  and in 2002 brady signed a contract extension. 

That means that they had to cut guys like lawyer milloy, trade Richard Seymour, move on from vince wilfork, let wes welker go to the Broncos... year after year the "patriot way" meant letting top veterans go a year too early instead of a year too late. 

I still own a roosevelt colvin jersey and a Lawrence maroney but i only wear the tom brady. The Patriots haven't been infallible in the front office and they've picked late if at all but they still field a playoff team. 

Not just a playoff team.  They aren't going one and done every year.

They've won at least one playoff game in 14 years under tom brady, including years that they had terrible defenses, or started benjarvus green Ellis and sammy morris or reche Caldwell. 

Not only have they dealt with turnover under brady, they've thrived. 

In 2007 when they set all those records, they had a seemingly washed up randy moss who had 2325 yards and 24 touchdowns in his last 3 seasons while passing 13. 16 and 13 games. They had wes Welker, coming off a career high 67 catches for 687 yards.  They had sammy morris, Lawrence maroney and Kevin Faulk at running back. Donte stallworth and jabar Gaffney who never had a 1000 yard season.  Of those guys only gaffney maroney and Faulk had played with the Patriots before, and they set the all time records for scoring and passing touchdowns and moss for receiving touchdowns in their first year together and were the first team ever to go 16-0 in the regular season.  

But it's not just his best year, it's every year.  The Patriots are going to their 13th AFC Championship game. Only 3 teams have been to their conference championship game that many times - the steelers (16), 49ers (15), and cowboys (14). Manning is second all time to brady with 15 seasons of just making the playoffs. 

He's already won 5 superbowls - tied for most all time - and been to 8, which is not only the most by any quarterback, it's as many as any other team. 

I know, it's hard to compare across eras, and yeah,  this is a quarterback friendly era, and of course it's a team sport, but nobody has dominated any era like he has - consistently winning im the regular season, consistently winning in the post season, and doing it whether he was a young skinny 4th quarterback thrust into action when Bledsoe got hurt and beating the greatest show on turf on an injured ankle, or leading the comeback from 28-3 fifteen years later.  He went from winning a superbowl mvp at age 24 to winning an nfl mvp at age 40 and multiple of each in between.  

And it's not like he did this in an era with no other good quarterbacks.  He's played in a conference with peyton manning, ben Roethlisberger and Philip rivers, all hall of famers, and beaten them all.  He's beaten current hall of famer kurt Warner, donovan McNabb, matt ryan and Russell Wilson in the superbowl.  He's won 5 superbowls, lost to the eventual superbowl winner 6 times and lost to the superbowl runner up once, meaning he's not only won consistently but faced the stiffest competition this era had to offer. 

I don't see how you can adjust any player for their era and come up with something more impressive than that. 

I'd go 

1. montana

Brady

Manning

Elway

Rodgers

Staubach

Aikman

Kelly

Marino

Big Ben

You take Brees off but add Big Ben?  Odd.

Rankings are too difficult IMO. I think tiers make more sense. IMO tiers 1-2 are pretty easy:

• Tier 1 - Brady - he stands alone in his own tier, for reasons that @bostonfred has summarized in this thread
  • Tier 2 - Montana, Unitas
After that it becomes very difficult due to attempting to compare eras with different league sizes, rules (for pass defense, salary cap, draft, etc.), and demographics. If pressed:

• Tier 3 - Peyton, Marino, Young, Favre, Brees, Graham, Luckman
I copped out and excluded Rodgers since he still has years left to play, kicking that can down the road. Elway was the next guy out.

Regarding a guy like Graham, he absolutely excelled, but he should have:

• There was no salary cap and no real means of even talent distribution, and the Browns were completely loaded. Arguably the most talented roster relative to the rest of the league of all time.
  • It was a much smaller league, making it much easier to win championships. His Browns teams won 3 of 6 championships once the Browns entered the NFL, by winning a total of 4 postseason games to do so.
  • He played for arguably the most innovative offensive coach of all time.
Graham dominated, which is all you want from a player. But the circumstances make it seem less impressive in some respects. I debated putting him and Luckman into Tier 3.

Rankings are too difficult IMO. I think tiers make more sense. IMO tiers 1-2 are pretty easy:

• Tier 1 - Brady - he stands alone in his own tier, for reasons that @bostonfred has summarized in this thread
  • Tier 2 - Montana, Unitas
After that it becomes very difficult due to attempting to compare eras with different league sizes, rules (for pass defense, salary cap, draft, etc.), and demographics. If pressed:

• Tier 3 - Peyton, Marino, Young, Favre, Brees, Graham, Luckman
I copped out and excluded Rodgers since he still has years left to play, kicking that can down the road. Elway was the next guy out.

Regarding a guy like Graham, he absolutely excelled, but he should have:

• There was no salary cap and no real means of even talent distribution, and the Browns were completely loaded. Arguably the most talented roster relative to the rest of the league of all time.
  • It was a much smaller league, making it much easier to win championships. His Browns teams won 3 of 6 championships once the Browns entered the NFL, by winning a total of 4 games to do so.
  • He played for arguably the most innovative offensive coach of all time.
Graham still dominated, which is all you want from a player. But the circumstances make it seem less impressive in some respects. I debated putting him and Luckman into Tier 3.
Took me a good five minutes, nothing hard about it at all.

11-20  that would be hard.

I'd go 

1. montana

Brady

Manning

Elway

Rodgers

Staubach

Aikman

Kelly

Marino

Big Ben

Stafford may be a compiler, Rivers may be a compiler, guys that are just under the top tiers of guys at their position but who put up good numbers over a long time.  Brees has led the league in passing 7 times, Elway did it once.  He led in TD's 4 times, Elway never did it.  Elway peaked at 4030 yards in a season while Brees spent 12 straight seasons over 4,000 and passed for over 5,000 5 times, the only person to do it more than once.  That is not a compiler, that is someone that is at the top of the league during their years.  You may favor Elway because he finished with the two SB wins but he should thank his lucky stars for Terrell Davis because before they got him his name was destined to be with Jim Kelly and Marino in the couldn't get a ring club. 

Hard to blame coaching when you are the supergenius who is calling his own plays.  Apparently the smartest player in NFL history always knew what the defense was going to do EXCEPT for in the playoffs where they threw him for a loop every single year.  Even the two years he won titles his playoff play was atrocious and the win was due to defenses dominant enough that they could win DESPITE his play.  In his first one with Indy he through 3 TD's to 7 INT's in the postseason, that's just awful.  The Denver one he completed only 55% of his passes, got sacked 9 times in the three games, and threw 2 TD's to 1 INT.  He was certainly one of the best regular season QB's of all time but not even in the top 20 when it came to playoff QB's.  He was one and done in the playoffs 9 out of 15 seasons in the playoffs.  That is not the best QB of all time, that is a guy who falls far behind Brady and Montana and probably some of those old timers you listed that I never saw play. 

Joe Montana was less healthy than the average QB of his era.  He'd likely have a longer career nowadays but I doubt he'd have a Brady/Manning/Rivers level of health.

Tom Brady has been more healthy than the average QB of his era.  He probably would have a shorter career in the 80s/90s than today but I don't see why he wouldn't have a long healthy career back then.

How is Brady significantly different than Dan Marino from a toughness standpoint Marino almost never missed games and played until a pretty old age?

You might not like that Brady complains to refs etc... (most QBs do now it's part of the game) but over and over he takes a hit and gets right back up.

Joe Montana was less healthy than the average QB of his era.  He'd likely have a longer career nowadays but I doubt he'd have a Brady/Manning/Rivers level of health.

Tom Brady has been more healthy than the average QB of his era.  He probably would have a shorter career in the 80s/90s than today but I don't see why he wouldn't have a long healthy career back then.

How is Brady significantly different than Dan Marino from a toughness standpoint Marino almost never missed games and played until a pretty old age?

You might not like that Brady complains to refs etc... (most QBs do now it's part of the game) but over and over he takes a hit and gets right back up.
Brady has not been someone that has taken a lot of sacks over the years and these rules where you can't sneeze on the QB have only been on the tail end of his career.  If you put him on that Niners team in the 80's he would have thrived having years with the GOAT at WR, one of the best pass catching RB's of his era in Craig, and a dominant defense.  The west coast offense wasn't one that held onto the ball a long time and Montana made a career of quick passes to guys like Rice or Taylor who'd end up taking it to the house.

Football player rankings make for tricky lists as football is truly the most team oriented sport. Some guys had better surrounding casts, others better coaches, some had more pass oriented offensive systems....etc. Nearly impossible to come up with the perfect equation to truly measure but certainly fun to read the lists and explanations.

Elway

Montana

Manning

Brady

Marino

Young

Favre

Kelly

Brees 

Rodgers

Of the players I've watched play

Well, maybe you should have taken some more time, given you have Unitas at #7. 
Maybe you need to bone up on just who he was, you obviously are clueless.

This off one of the many lists talking about this,  no cherry picking, you find Unitas in all of these top QB's lists.

While this s a bit outdated it shows what most think of Unitas.

The Top 10 Quarterbacks of All Time

1 / 10

10. Roger Staubach

Staubach became a legend while wearing the Cowboys uniform, leading the team to a huge run of success. After missing four seasons of his career to the Navy, he led Dallas to nine straight winning seasons and two Super Bowl championships. He became the first player to win the Heisman Trophy and a Super Bowl MVP—plus, he’s the man who coined the phrase “Hail Mary” with one legendary bomb in a 1975 playoff game against the Vikings. The Hall of Fame thrower made it to the Pro Bowl six times and was named to the NFL 1970s All-Decade Team.

2 / 10

9. Brett Favre

This gunslinging quarterback was one of the toughest to ever play the position, lasting in the NFL until his 40s with the Minnesota Vikings after putting up a Hall of Fame career with the Green Bay Packers. The three-time MVP and 11-time Pro Bowler was beloved by teammates and obsessed over by the media. Thanks in part to starting an NFL-record 321 straight games, Favre became the only QB in history to top 70,000 passing yards and 500 touchdowns. Favre won Super Bowl Super Bowl XXXI with the Packers and finished his career with 186 victories, tied with Peyton Manning for the most all-time.

3 / 10

8. Dan Marino

Even though Marino never won the Super Bowl and had a mediocre 8-10 career record in the postseason, as a quarterback he put up some very impressive numbers that were simply unheard of in the 1980s. The Pittsburgh native threw for 61,361 yards and 420 touchdowns in his NFL career, including a then-incredible statline in just his second year in the league, when he threw for 5,084 yards and 48 touchdowns. Marino led the league in passing yards five times, was named MVP in 1984, and was a Pro Bowl player nine times in his career. And, of course, we all remember the great job he did while playing a kidnapping victim in Ace Ventura: Pet Detective.

4 / 10

7. Terry Bradshaw

Younger football fans probably think of Terry Bradshaw only as the loudest talking head on Fox NFL Sunday, but he was also a damn fine quarterback in his day. With an arm that was always powerful and occasionally erratic, Bradshaw stepped it up when it counted: He bumped up his 70.9 regular season QB rating to 83.0 in the playoffs, and he did even better in the Super Bowl, pushing it up to 111.2 in title games. Bradshaw led the Pittsburgh Steelers to four Super Bowl titles—becoming the first QB to win three (and then four) in his career—and was named MVP of the game twice. Definitely more than just a talking head.

5 / 10

6. Steve Young

Steve Young had a winding road to NFL success, but when he got there, he sure made the most of it. This southpaw dealt with two seasons on the USFL’s Los Angeles Express—something that continues to be a plus for Young; his contract, paid in an annuity, runs until 2027—then suffered a 3-16 record with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers before being traded to the San Francisco 49ers.

Once he got there he sat behind Joe Montana and learned a few things about the NFL. Young took over for the veteran and went on to make the Pro Bowl in all seven years he was a starter, taking home two MVP awards and winning three Super Bowls. Young formed a highly productive partnership with wideout Jerry Rice, connecting for 85 touchdowns and over 10,000 yards during the time they played together. Young’s performance in Super Bowl XXIX was one of the best ever: The BYU alum completed 24 of 36 passes for 325 yards and six touchdowns before being named MVP of the game.

6 / 10

5. Peyton Manning

Manning finished his career on top by winning Super Bowl 50 with the Denver Broncos, but before that he already was one of the best quarterbacks of all time. During his time with the Indianapolis Colts, Manning brought home four MVP awards, forming one of the most prolific duos in history with wideout Marvin Harrison. The two connected for 112 touchdowns in a decade of work together and won Super Bowl XLI.

Manning continued to break records after coming back from an almost career-ending neck injury to play for the Broncos, setting the single-season passing touchdown record with 51 and winning his fifth MVP award. The former Tennessee Volunteers star now holds the all-time records for passing yards (71,940) and passing touchdowns in NFL history. He also is the only player in NFL history to have 200 combined postseason and regular season wins. Not a bad career.

7 / 10

4. John Elway

Even though things got off to a bumpy start for Elway in the NFL—he threatened to play baseball for the Yankees unless the Colts traded him—he proved to be worth the headache. The Denver Broncos stepped up and grabbed Elway, who showed off dynamic agility, pinpoint accuracy, and a cannon of a throwing arm during his career.

Elway threw for 51,475 yards and 300 touchdowns, adding 3,407 rushing yards for good measure. After bouncing back from his “can’t win the big game” label following three Super Bowl losses, he won his final two appearances, finishing his career on top. Elway has since taken over as the Broncos top executive, leading the team to victory in Super Bowl 50 behind veteran quarterback Peyton Manning.

8 / 10

3. Johnny Unitas

Unitas was way ahead of his time when he was under center for the Baltimore Colts. In fact, he might be the one quarterback from the pre-modern NFL era who could thrive in the game today. Unitas put up numbers that no one else did while he was playing, including throwing 34 touchdowns in 1959, which is more than some QBs put up now. Unitas won the MVP award four times in his career and led his team to three championships, including back-to-back NFL titles in 1958-59.

Unitas wasn’t all about the numbers, either—he basically helped create the modern style of playing quarterback. He introduced the two-minute offense, and became the first player to have a 30-touchdown season and surpass 40,000 passing yards in his career. “The Golden Arm” put the NFL on the map with his performance in the 1958 championship game, “The Greatest Game Ever Played,” so it’s amazing to think that he was cut by his hometown Steelers in his rookie season and was playing on a semipro team for $6 a game before Weeb Ewbank plucked him from obscurity. Now he’s known as a legend.

Montana at 2, Brady THE GOAT

No. 1: Johnny Unitas

Known as "Mr. Clutch," Johnny Unitas holds the record for consecutive games with a touchdown pass at 47. To understand how incredible this is, you have to go and watch coaches tape prior to the league's liberalization of the passing rules. Receivers were routinely mugged all over the field. Yet Unitas was still able to find the end-zone 47 games in a row. That in and of itself is a marvel, but records and passing stats are not what define Unitas. 

Unitas was tough, and not in the shopworn mythology-type way that Brett Favre was made out to be tough by the modern media. No, Unitas was as down and dirty as any lineman, as any linebacker looking to take his head off.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It is impossible to talk the greatest (if you know the game) QB's ever and not talk Johnny Unitas.  As we saw above one list has him at number 3 another number 1, and he's all over any top 10 list, but listed.

It did help having the first great receiving RB in Lenny Moore, the great Ray Berry and the first great TE in John Mackey, all in the HOF.

Brad Oremland posted his rankings of the top QBs by total statistical production last summer. His top 10:

1. Peyton Manning
2. Dan Marino
3. Tom Brady
4. Drew Brees
5. Johnny Unitas
6. Fran Tarkenton
7. Joe Montana
8. Otto Graham
9. Brett Favre
10. Steve Young

A few years earlier he posted rankings based on his personal opinion; it's almost all the same names but in a different order (though Brees-through-2014 misses the list and Staubach is #10). Both writeups have lots of thoughtful explanations.

Brad Oremland posted his rankings of the top QBs by total statistical production last summer. His top 10:

1. Peyton Manning
2. Dan Marino
3. Tom Brady
4. Drew Brees
5. Johnny Unitas
6. Fran Tarkenton
7. Joe Montana
8. Otto Graham
9. Brett Favre
10. Steve Young

A few years earlier he posted rankings based on his personal opinion; it's almost all the same names but in a different order (though Brees-through-2014 misses the list and Staubach is #10). Both writeups have lots of thoughtful explanations.
Those not into the real history of the game never get Unitas/Graham/Tarkenton.  The impact they made on the game was massive, they must be there.

So it;s obviously  Brady, Montana, Manning, Brees, those three.....the other three the????

This might be fun to do as a bracketed poll.  Seed 32 of them & then have a play-off.

Maybe you need to bone up on just who he was, you obviously are clueless.

This off one of the many lists talking about this,  no cherry picking, you find Unitas in all of these top QB's lists.

While this s a bit outdated it shows what most think of Unitas.

The Top 10 Quarterbacks of All Time

1 / 10

10. Roger Staubach

Staubach became a legend while wearing the Cowboys uniform, leading the team to a huge run of success. After missing four seasons of his career to the Navy, he led Dallas to nine straight winning seasons and two Super Bowl championships. He became the first player to win the Heisman Trophy and a Super Bowl MVP—plus, he’s the man who coined the phrase “Hail Mary” with one legendary bomb in a 1975 playoff game against the Vikings. The Hall of Fame thrower made it to the Pro Bowl six times and was named to the NFL 1970s All-Decade Team.

7. Terry Bradshaw

Younger football fans probably think of Terry Bradshaw only as the loudest talking head on Fox NFL Sunday, but he was also a damn fine quarterback in his day. With an arm that was always powerful and occasionally erratic, Bradshaw stepped it up when it counted: He bumped up his 70.9 regular season QB rating to 83.0 in the playoffs, and he did even better in the Super Bowl, pushing it up to 111.2 in title games. Bradshaw led the Pittsburgh Steelers to four Super Bowl titles—becoming the first QB to win three (and then four) in his career—and was named MVP of the game twice. Definitely more than just a talking head.

4. John Elway

Even though things got off to a bumpy start for Elway in the NFL—he threatened to play baseball for the Yankees unless the Colts traded him—he proved to be worth the headache. The Denver Broncos stepped up and grabbed Elway, who showed off dynamic agility, pinpoint accuracy, and a cannon of a throwing arm during his career.

Elway threw for 51,475 yards and 300 touchdowns, adding 3,407 rushing yards for good measure. After bouncing back from his “can’t win the big game” label following three Super Bowl losses, he won his final two appearances, finishing his career on top. Elway has since taken over as the Broncos top executive, leading the team to victory in Super Bowl 50 behind veteran quarterback Peyton Manning.
Pretty sure JWB was saying that Unitas at #7 was far too low, not that he had no business in the top-10. He knows his stuff historically, even though I will always disagree with him on Issac Bruce.

I highlighted 3 guys I think shouldn't be in any top-10. 

Staubach is basically Aikman 20 years earlier. A good QB, on a team that was loaded. I'd take him over Aikman, but they are similar talents. Staubach never won an MVP, or was ever a 1st team all-pro. He was very consistent, but was closer to a game manager than a game breaker. 

Bradshaw was somewhat similar, but was a bigger playmaker, with less consistency. He was Matt Ryan on a juggernaut team. The 70's Steelers are arguably the most talented team in NFL history.

Elway was one of my favorites as a kid, but as I've gotten older, I have realized he was very overhyped. He was popular and well marketed as the golden boy, but his play was incredibly uneven. If Mike Shanahan hadn't shown up, with an offense nobody could figure out for years, we might be looking at Elway as an Eli Manning type. 

I'll have to keep my list to those I saw play...so starting in the mid 80's...

1. Brady - he's really put a lot of distance between himself and the field
2. Montana - so clutch...the pre-cursor to Brady in so many ways
3. Peyton - at his best, noone was more dominant
4. Brees - just so relentless.  Always coming at you.
5. Rodgers - makes plays no one else has ever been able to
6. Elway -  unreal physical talent that put teams on his back like no other.
7. Young - deft touch and mobility...his combo hasn't come close to being replicated in the 20 years since he's been gone
8. Marino - Crazy to think he put up 5000/48 in 1984.
9. Favre - Great QB, but legacy feels inflated
10. Roethlisberger - Even here, might be underrated...

I'll have to keep my list to those I saw play...so starting in the mid 80's...

1. Brady - he's really put a lot of distance between himself and the field
2. Montana - so clutch...the pre-cursor to Brady in so many ways
3. Peyton - at his best, noone was more dominant
4. Brees - just so relentless.  Always coming at you.
5. Rodgers - makes plays no one else has ever been able to
6. Elway -  unreal physical talent that put teams on his back like no other.
7. Young - deft touch and mobility...his combo hasn't come close to being replicated in the 20 years since he's been gone
8. Marino - Crazy to think he put up 5000/48 in 1984.
9. Favre - Great QB, but legacy feels inflated
10. Roethlisberger - Even here, might be underrated...

Great list but I am not sure about Ben and Elway. Those are the 2 I question the most. I know the game has changed a lot but he still played in the Marino, Montana, Young, Moon era and he had 9 years of pretty mediocre numbers. He was never an All Pro. Ben has never been All Pro either. On a statistical basis, Ben has only been a top 10 fantasy QB 3 times. However, we would need QBs to take their place. Moon? Fouts? Tarkenton? I'm not sure. 

Not so sure about Roethlisberger. Prior to this year, he has never received a single MVP vote. Maybe that changes this year, but then again, that may not. Similarly, he has never been named to any of the AP All Pro teams (first or second team). In the annual NFL Top 100 list voted on by the players, the highest he's finished has been 18th. Given that he played most of his career with Brady / Manning / Brees / Rodgers, have half of the Top 10 All Time QBs all been playing at the same time (assuming people have the others in their Top 10 QB's)?

Not so sure about Roethlisberger. Prior to this year, he has never received a single MVP vote. Maybe that changes this year, but then again, that may not. Similarly, he has never been named to any of the AP All Pro teams (first or second team). In the annual NFL Top 100 list voted on by the players, the highest he's finished has been 18th. Given that he played most of his career with Brady / Manning / Brees / Rodgers, have half of the Top 10 All Time QBs all been playing at the same time (assuming people have the others in their Top 10 QB's)?
It'd be crazy if it did. Roethlisberger arguably had his worst year this decade. Sure he had 5,000 yards, but he constantly came up short when it mattered, and led all QB's in INT's, while being 2nd in overall turnovers behind only Josh Rosen. Big Ben was very much a mediocre starter this past season, and has really never been truly great over an entire season. He makes some very big throws though, so his highlights always look nice.

Starr

Staubach

Dawson

Griese 

Roethlisberger

Aikman

Kelly

Stabler

Van Brocklin

Jurgensen

11-20

As a side note, Bill Belichick has said several times that the best QB he ever saw play was Bert Jones. He never even gets an Honorable Mention in these types of discussions. Jones led the league in passing from 1975-1977 with better than a 2:1 TD to INT rate (when most QBs were 1:1 or worse). He went 31-11in the regular season over that stretch for the Colts. Unfortunately for Colts fans, that success didn't carry over into the post season, as Baltimore went one and done each season. Jones got hurt in both 1978 and 1979 and could never recapture his earlier success that won him an MVP award. Carry on with the never ending (and nearly impossible) debate trying to compare players from different eras of football.

Great list but I am not sure about Ben and Elway. Those are the 2 I question the most. I know the game has changed a lot but he still played in the Marino, Montana, Young, Moon era and he had 9 years of pretty mediocre numbers. He was never an All Pro. Ben has never been All Pro either. On a statistical basis, Ben has only been a top 10 fantasy QB 3 times. However, we would need QBs to take their place. Moon? Fouts? Tarkenton? I'm not sure. 
For Elway...I almost think the 3 SB's he lost were a more impressive feat than the 2 he won.  Those roster had no business sniffing glory.

As for BB...it would be tough to make All-Pro when Peyton/Brady/Favre/Rodgers are your contemporaries...Matt Ryan has made All-Pro, would I put him above BB?  I think he's kind of a #####...but I think as a QB...he may be underappreciated.

For Elway...I almost think the 3 SB's he lost were a more impressive feat than the 2 he won.  Those roster had no business sniffing glory.

As for BB...it would be tough to make All-Pro when Peyton/Brady/Favre/Rodgers are your contemporaries...Matt Ryan has made All-Pro, would I put him above BB?  I think he's kind of a #####...but I think as a QB...he may be underappreciated.
I think Moon has a good case. He just never had the playoff success that the others did. 8 consecutive Pro Bowls, 9 total all while getting a late start on his career. He was a 28 year old rookie.

No All Pros and no SB is a big knock though.

1. Peyton Manning
2. Dan Marino
3. Tom Brady
4. Drew Brees
5. Johnny Unitas
6. Fran Tarkenton
7. Joe Montana
8. Otto Graham
9. Brett Favre
10. Steve Young

Great list. And hard to argue it.

As a side note, Bill Belichick has said several times that the best QB he ever saw play was Bert Jones. He never even gets an Honorable Mention in these types of discussions. Jones led the league in passing from 1975-1977 with better than a 2:1 TD to INT rate (when most QBs were 1:1 or worse). He went 31-11in the regular season over that stretch for the Colts. Unfortunately for Colts fans, that success didn't carry over into the post season, as Baltimore went one and done each season. Jones got hurt in both 1978 and 1979 and could never recapture his earlier success that won him an MVP award. Carry on with the never ending (and nearly impossible) debate trying to compare players from different eras of football.
Damn I remember watching Bert Jones. He was a baller. 

Key words....All Time.  So it's more about dominance of era than just stats, numbers.

I will pass on Slingin' Sammy Baugh and those prior to the 40's, things were just too different way back then.

I like to start with Otto Graham, imagine ten title games in ten seasons, nobody ever dominated the QB position like he did.

But it does get weird with any All Time list, the obvious reason is we know Otto, Johnny U, Frantic Fran would stand no chance vs these defenders today, none! Imagine these guys today in 1966.

So we have to forget that and go with that dominace of era. There are only two players I think could play in every era and 20 years from now...Jim Brown and Bob Hayes (he'd blow Tyreek Hill totally away)

So in my opinion, based on having seen them all other than Graham (seen videos)

1.Tom Brady  without question THE GOAT

2.Joe Montana  the poster boy for cool,  placing the ball so receivers never slowed.

3.Drew Brees  there is a reason he owns all the records.

4.Peyton Manning  it's his records Brees is breaking

5.Otto Graham  when he retired he was the greatest QB in the history of the game.

6.Dan Marino  the best preview of what was to come.

7.Johnny Unitas  the total package

8.Aaron Rodgers  will move up this list before he retires,

9.Brett Favre  freakish arm and is still among the stat leaders

10.Fran Tarkenton  after all these years he is still in the All Time top 15 stat wise,  A novelty in his day.

Trying to come up with the next 10 would be harder, now it's Big Ben, Steve Young, Warren Moon, Eli Manning, Philip Rivers, John Elway, Roger Staubach, Troy Aikman, Jim Kelly, Dan Fouts, Ken Stabler, Terry Bradshaw, Kurt Warner.

I do expect to see Russell Wilson***,  and if Patrick Mahomes keeps doing what he;'s doing, to be among those listed above someday.

*** nobody mentioned above had more wins at the same stage of the career or owned more records/firsts.
Points deducted for including Eli Manning's name in this discussion. He will get into the Hall of Fame based on being on 2 Super Bowl winning teams and because his last name is Manning and because he stayed healthy throughout his career and therefore compiled a lot of numbers. But he was never a top 5 QB in any of his 15 seasons so there is no way I would put him in the top 20 QB's of all time.

But good overall topic. Good job.

Users who are viewing this thread