What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Talking Running Backs (1 Viewer)

ZenoRazon

Footballguy
What team has had the best four in their history?

Rams....Eric Dickerson...Steven Jackson...Marshall Faulk....Todd Gurley 

Cowboys...Emmitt Smith....Tony Dorsett...Ezekial Elliot...Herschel Walker

Bills...Thurman Thomas...O.J.Simpson....Shady McCoy..Cookie Gilchrist

Steelers...Jerome Bettis....Franco Harris...Le' Veon Bell....John Henry Johnson

Chiefs...Priest Holmes....Jamaal Charles....Christian Okoye....Abner Haynes

My Niners.....Frank Gore....Joe "Jet" Perry....Hugh "King" McElhenny...Roger Craig

So who belongs with those teams and the best of all of them?

Last edited by a moderator:
Cowboys or Rams, IMHO. I'd actually probably go Rams.  

Don't have next level stats to back it up, but those seem to be the front runners in this whole deal.

eta* I think that Marshall Faulk's and Gurley's receiving talents put them over the top.   

Cowboys or Rams, IMHO. I'd actually probably go Rams.  

Don't have next level stats to back it up, but those seem to be the front runners in this whole deal.

eta* I think that Marshall Faulk's and Gurley's receiving talents put them over the top.   
Well actually I should have had Steven Jackson there instead of Gurley.

I messed that all up by leading off with the Rams....DUH~~~~~~~~

Riggins, Portis, AP, Timmy Smith (if we are allowed to pick 1 game for Smith and take credit for APs entire body of work 😁

Neal Anderson- he had a great 3 year run: 88-91 he played in 47/48 possible games, averaged 4.4 ypc, had 3400 rushing, 131 receptions, 1300 receiving and 40 TDS. That’s impressive. 

Rams are the answer for sure. What about the worst? Who is it hard to even come up with a lineup? Obviously the newer franchises get some slack.

Rams are the answer for sure. What about the worst? Who is it hard to even come up with a lineup? Obviously the newer franchises get some slack.
Good one.

Yep, hmmmmmmmmmmm?

Giants?

Hell, Barkley already their best ever.

Tiki Barber

Rodney Hampton

Ron Johnson

Frank Gifford

Branch was WR.

Clem Daneils their first 1000 yarder, a stud.

Marcus Allen

Bo Jacksom

Napolean Kaufman

Mark VanEeghan
Whoops. I was just thinking of Raider greats. Branch's number threw me in from the old reels, I think.  :bag:

Oops. I remember VanEeghan being a runner, though. 

Whoops. I was just thinking of Raider greats. Branch's number threw me in from the old reels, I think.  :bag:

Oops. I remember VanEeghan being a runner, though. 
Funny thing...

Van Eeghan was a power runner out of Colgate

Then there was fellow Raider...Brad Hubbard a power runner out of Colgate.

Ok see these teams.

What team has had the best four in their history?

Rams....Eric Dickerson...Jerome Bettis...Marshall Faulk....Todd Gurley

Cowboys...Emmitt Smith....Tony Dorsett...Ezekial Elliot...Herschel Walker

Bills...Thurman Thomas...O.J.Simpson....Shady McCoy..Cookie Gilchrist

Steelers...Jerome Bettis....Franco Harris...Le' Veon Bell....John Henry Johnson

Chiefs...Priest Holmes....Jamaal Charles....Christian Okoye....Abner Haynes

My Niners.....Frank Gore....Joe "Jet" Perry....Hugh "King" McElhenny...Roger Craig

There are at least 10 1000 rushers among those teams not mentioned.....who?

It's the Patriot League, which are good, if slightly lesser schools. 

Neither league offers scholarships for sports, only financial aid. 

Also, the Ivys -- I think -- are pure DI, or FBS, the Patriot League was 1-A, or FCS.  

Chiefs - Larry Johnson immediately comes to mind
Let's do the Chiefs.

Abner Haynes  first 1000 yard rusher

Curtis McClinton............first AFL player to score vs the NFL.

Mike Garrett

Warren McVea

Ed Podolak

Woody Green

Tony Reed

Christian "Nigerian Nightmare" Okoye

Barry Word

Priest Holmes

Larry Johnson

Jamaal Charles

Kareem Hunt

It's the Patriot League, which are good, if slightly lesser schools. 

Neither league offers scholarships for sports, only financial aid. 

Also, the Ivys -- I think -- are pure DI, or FBS, the Patriot League was 1-A, or FCS.  
As you know we have seen a few studs out of those schools.

First speedy Raider, an Olympic long jumper out of Cornell.....Bo Roberson...won the silver in 1960.

First Cowboy to have a 1000 yard season....Calvin Hill Yale.

As you know we have seen a few studs out of those schools.

First speedy Raider, an Olympic long jumper out of Cornell.....Bo Roberson...won the silver in 1960.

First Cowboy to have a 1000 yard season....Calvin Hill Yale.
You love your track guys, huh? I know absolutely nothing about it.  

Sure, Calvin Hill. Grant made sure he became a sensation again in the media, which was very, very cool for some reason. 

Harvard beats Yale 29-29!  

You love your track guys, huh? I know absolutely nothing about it.  

Sure, Calvin Hill. Grant made sure he became a sensation again in the media, which was very, very cool for some reason. 

Harvard beats Yale 33-33!  
Sprinter/running back/kick returner in HS, in the blood.

1968.  I think Hill played for Yale at the time and they were undefeated going into the annual Yale/Harvard match-up. I freaking lived in New Haven and never went to that game. I'm kicking myself. 

Maybe fun fact: My serious girlfriend's uncle coached the Bulldogs for years in the late nineties/early aughts.  "Oh, that's Uncle Jack." What?? 

1968.  I think Hill played for Yale at the time and they were undefeated going into the annual Yale/Harvard match-up. I freaking lived in New Haven and never went to that game. I'm kicking myself. 

Maybe fun fact: My serious girlfriend's uncle coached the Bulldogs for years in the late nineties/early aughts.  "Oh, that's Uncle Jack." What?? 
Serious girlfriend and Yale vs Harvard, ha~~~

Cool on uncle there.

Well actually I should have had Steven Jackson there instead of Gurley.

I messed that all up by leading off with the Rams....DUH~~~~~~~~
I'd say instead of Bettis, he only played his first 3 years with the Rams, one less than Gurley already has.  Most of his years, and arguably his best ones, were with the Steelers.

Men-in-Cleats said:
I'd say instead of Bettis, he only played his first 3 years with the Rams, one less than Gurley already has.  Most of his years, and arguably his best ones, were with the Steelers.
I;d say you are right, yep, that is what I should have done and will fix it now.

The 10 best RB's that never had a 1000 yard season, well?

A few tidbits.

Bob Hayes the great Olympic sprinter/Cowboys HOF receiver was a RB in college.  I did see one clip of him, he took off around end and just smoked it. Out ran the angles.

Houston McTear averaged over 14 yards a carry at Baker HS,  he was also a sprinter. As a junior he ran a 9.0 100yards to tie the WR. Think about that.

But, he couldn't make the grades at any school,  so there went football. Muhammad Ali heard about his situation so he took care the kid so he could run world  class track.

Remember Duane Thomas with the Cowboys?  While at WTS he was just a blocking back for Mercury Morris.

Users who are viewing this thread