What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official*** 2019 State of the Union Thread (1 Viewer)

squistion

Footballguy
Last edited by a moderator:
Scheduled for Jan 29th, however House Speaker Nancy Pelosi has sent a letter to President Trump calling for rescheduling of State of the Union address amid the government shutdown.

Copy of letter at link: https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1085550115392241667
https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1085548840579723271

What Pelosi does in this letter is rescind Trump’s invitation to speak in the House chamber during the shutdown and then suggest some alternatives he could pursue. Framing it as “asking” for a postponement is misleading because it wrongly implies Trump has power to say yes or no.

bold predictions for the SOTUA, if/when POTUS delivers it:

1. someone will shout "liar!" or the equvialent

2. one or more people will stand up, mid-address, and walk out of the chamber

bold predictions for the SOTUA, if/when POTUS delivers it:

1. someone will shout "liar!" or the equvialent

2. one or more people will stand up, mid-address, and walk out of the chamber
The shouting of liar at Obama was a one time only occurrence and was roundly criticized at the time and didn't happen at Trump's previous SOTUAs. So I am not expecting that even from some Democratic newcomers.

It is not usual to have one or two members walk out (like Luis Gutiérrez last year or Steve Stockman with Obama) but generally those legislators who would be most likely to do so, just don't show up at all, particularly since they pretty much know what will be said ahead of time.

The shouting of liar at Obama was a one time only occurrence and was roundly criticized at the time and didn't happen at Trump's previous SOTUAs. So I am not expecting that even from some Democratic newcomers.

It is not usual to have one or two members walk out (like Luis Gutiérrez last year or Steve Stockman with Obama) but generally those legislators who would be most likely to do so, just don't show up at all, particularly since they pretty much know what will be said ahead of time.
While totally uncalled for.

The Obama statement that prompted the infamous shout out,  that Heath-care reform would not cover illegals., Did in fact turn out to be untrue

I'm fine doing away with SOTU altogether. So silly to see half an audience rising to give standing ovations every 3 minutes.
Especially in today’s media market where the news is 24/7 and the President has unlimited media access. SOTU is left over from a bygone era.

What a bunch of babies...... 

Did Nancy really think she could out Trump Trump. 
Well she did if she goes through with the SOTU address to Congress being postponed. I am sure she can live with her trip to visit troops in Afganistan being postponed in retaliation,.

Meanwhile...

Steny Hoyer called Trump's letter to Pelosi "petty," "'small" and "vindictive."

"It is unbecoming of the President of the United States."

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/business/article224677095.html#storylink=cpy

I'm fine doing away with SOTU altogether. So silly to see half an audience rising to give standing ovations every 3 minutes.
agreed. it's essentially a televised campaign speech for the sitting POUTS, or a victory lap for the outgoing one. and the attendees get to show what side they're on, as if their constituents had any doubts.

Senator Rand Paul✔@RandPaul

Senator McConnell is in charge of the Senate. If Mrs. Pelosi refuses to allow the president to deliver the State of the Union in the House, I propose we move it to the Senate and make it happen!

Works for me.  Very small and it isn't like the Democrats want to be there anyway.

Both madam and madame are used to describe women, but not as interchangeably as some may think. Madame is primarily used as the French equivalent of "Mrs.", denoting a woman's marital status. ... Madam, on the other hand, is the word that will be used more often.

Senator Rand Paul✔@RandPaul

Senator McConnell is in charge of the Senate. If Mrs. Pelosi refuses to allow the president to deliver the State of the Union in the House, I propose we move it to the Senate and make it happen!

Works for me.  Very small and it isn't like the Democrats want to be there anyway.
By the bolded, are you implying that the House would not be invited?

The petty vindictive behavior against Pelosi continues:

Kyle Griffin‏Verified account @kylegriffin1 2h2 hours ago

Nancy Pelosi's spokesman says that Pelosi was planning to fly commercial to Afghanistan but had to cancel this morning after "the Administration had leaked the commercial travel plans as well and the State Department said it was too dangerous due to Trump revealing her trip.

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1086277203887714304 (Pelosi spokesman statement at link)

Adam Schiff‏ @RepAdamSchiff 1h1 hour ago

Typically a president starts the State of the Union address by saying, “The state of our union is strong.”

Does Trump really want to start his off by saying, “The state of our union is...closed.”

Reopen the government, Mr. President. Citizens first. Ceremony later.

I like this.  :thumbup:

Chris Hayes @chrislhayes

NEWS: A reliable source tells me that Chuck Schumer called STACEY ABRAMS three weeks ago to ask her to deliver the Democratic response to the State of the Union.

12:46 PM · Jan 29, 2019

So, I understand some of the undocumented workers from Trump's properties will be in attendance.

If that is the case - and if I were Trump - I would make a big scene and have ICE agents rush in to detain them mid-speech...

So, I understand some of the undocumented workers from Trump's properties will be in attendance.

If that is the case - and if I were Trump - I would make a big scene and have ICE agents rush in to detain them mid-speech...
Yes, indeed:

Victorina Morales, an undocumented worker who was fired from Trump's Bedminster golf club after she publicly disclosed her immigration status, will attend Trump's State of the Union address next week as a guest of Rep. Bonnie Watson Coleman, a NJ Democrat.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/undocumented-worker-fired-from-trump-organization-to-attend-state-of-the-union/2019/01/30/635de4ae-24bf-11e9-ad53-824486280311_story.html

Nancy Pelosi‏ @SpeakerPelosi Jan 29

We are thrilled to have @StaceyAbrams deliver the Democratic Response to the State of the Union. Her electrifying message reinvigorated our nation & continues to inspire millions in every part of the country. #SOTU

https://goo.gl/oSKrz9

Sinn Fein said:

ICE wouldn't be permitted into the building, but they could wait outside and arrest them. I'm sure ICE will be able to show probable cause by saying "Well, the President said they were illegals so it must be true..."

Trump just hinted that he would declare a national emergency during his speech. Actually I suspect that he will announce his intention to do so if the Democrats don’t agree to the wall. 

Users who are viewing this thread