What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Michigan State University President resigns "Sexual Assault girls enjoyed their moment in spotlight" (1 Viewer)

As a lifelong UM fan, I'm used to feeling Schadenfreude when their rivals get caught up in scandal, a la OSU and Tattoogate. But this one just leaves me feeling simultaneously enraged and sad.

Different day and age Bobby..
His point, perhaps, is that he wasn’t the best choice in the first place. Someone very close to me was a gymnast that was treated by Nassar, and she is not in any spotlight at all. She isn’t trying to get money or anything, just trying to deal with  it.  I will say this- there are some who are in the spotlight that are using it as a platform to stay relevant imo, but most of these survivors are simply going about their lives. The worst victims didn’t even come forward. You’ll have to simply take my word on that, I know more about this than probably any of you but don’t really want to get into details, but before he was ever at USA gymnastics he had his favorites that were getting treatments multiple times.  If it leaves you angry/sad multiply it by 5 because what you hear in the news is probably 20% of the story. I’m shaking now so I’ll end there.

Engler should have resigned months ago for his words and actions. 

One thing he did in his short one year tenure was to close down a special account created for the victims that help out with mental counseling. Also, he wrote an 11-page resignation letter talkin about all that he accomplished while he was on the job. Not one mention of his insensitive, heartless words or the reason he was being forced to resign. Just a vile, disgusting human being. 

His point, perhaps, is that he wasn’t the best choice in the first place. Someone very close to me was a gymnast that was treated by Nassar, and she is not in any spotlight at all. She isn’t trying to get money or anything, just trying to deal with  it.  I will say this- there are some who are in the spotlight that are using it as a platform to stay relevant imo, but most of these survivors are simply going about their lives. The worst victims didn’t even come forward. You’ll have to simply take my word on that, I know more about this than probably any of you but don’t really want to get into details, but before he was ever at USA gymnastics he had his favorites that were getting treatments multiple times.  If it leaves you angry/sad multiply it by 5 because what you hear in the news is probably 20% of the story. I’m shaking now so I’ll end there.

Engler should have resigned months ago for his words and actions. 
I don't doubt anything you say, and I'm so sorry that person close to you had to go through what she did.

Is it weird that in cases like Nassar or the Catholic Church scandal, I end up feeling angrier toward the people who ignored/covered up the abuse than toward the abusers themselves? It's not a totally rational thing, but I think if I had to explain it, it would be this: Pedophiles like Nassar, Sandusky and the priests are just straight up evil. I don't know why they are that way, and I don't care. Evil gonna evil. But the people who covered up for them aren't evil. They are presumably well-meaning people in positions of power who should be as horrified as anyone else by sexual abuse. As best as I can tell, their biggest fault is their narrow-mindedness. They're so focused on other concerns (like protecting their institutions) that they completely ignore the humanity of the victims.

The MSU case angers me the most of all because they can't use the excuse of "This was a different time" or "We had heard things but we didn't know for sure." This is all happening now, in real time. Not only have all of Nassar's horrific abuses come to light, but there are a million other examples of institutions -- even other universities -- that handled these cases poorly and suffered as a result. Even if his only concern were MSU's reputation, you'd think Engler would know to at least pretend to care about the victims and not keep saying (and doing) dumb s##t.

Maybe that's what it comes down to. Evil doesn't bother me as much as flawed human beings who should -- but are continually unable to -- do the right thing.

I don't doubt anything you say, and I'm so sorry that person close to you had to go through what she did.

Is it weird that in cases like Nassar or the Catholic Church scandal, I end up feeling angrier toward the people who ignored/covered up the abuse than toward the abusers themselves? It's not a totally rational thing, but I think if I had to explain it, it would be this: Pedophiles like Nassar, Sandusky and the priests are just straight up evil. I don't know why they are that way, and I don't care. Evil gonna evil. But the people who covered up for them aren't evil. They are presumably well-meaning people in positions of power who should be as horrified as anyone else by sexual abuse. As best as I can tell, their biggest fault is their narrow-mindedness. They're so focused on other concerns (like protecting their institutions) that they completely ignore the humanity of the victims.

The MSU case angers me the most of all because they can't use the excuse of "This was a different time" or "We had heard things but we didn't know for sure." This is all happening now, in real time. Not only have all of Nassar's horrific abuses come to light, but there are a million other examples of institutions -- even other universities -- that handled these cases poorly and suffered as a result. Even if his only concern were MSU's reputation, you'd think Engler would know to at least pretend to care about the victims and not keep saying (and doing) dumb s##t.

Maybe that's what it comes down to. Evil doesn't bother me as much as flawed human beings who should -- but are continually unable to -- do the right thing.
You underestimate the level of trust this man had. You’re competing, flip and land on your backside, you can go to the hospital or have this renowned dr check you out and you can go finish your competition. Come back and say to your friend “this is what he did...” and they say “oh that’s normal, he did that to me when I fell too.”

simple as that.

One thing he did in his short one year tenure was to close down a special account created for the victims that help out with mental counseling. Also, he wrote an 11-page resignation letter talkin about all that he accomplished while he was on the job. Not one mention of his insensitive, heartless words or the reason he was being forced to resign. Just a vile, disgusting human being. 
sounds like a future cabinet member

You underestimate the level of trust this man had. You’re competing, flip and land on your backside, you can go to the hospital or have this renowned dr check you out and you can go finish your competition. Come back and say to your friend “this is what he did...” and they say “oh that’s normal, he did that to me when I fell too.”

simple as that.
Yeah, I read a great piece in NYMag explaining how he got away with it for so long. That to me is far more understandable (if totally heartbreaking). The way I see it, if Larry Nassar had been a garden-variety pedophile, he would have been arrested years ago the first time he made a pass at a 12-year-old. He got away with it for years because he was uniquely skilled at manipulating people. That's why I feel so bad for the parents -- who have to deal with both the pain of what happened to their children as well as (undeserved) guilt for not realizing it sooner -- and have at least some sympathy for the other folks who didn't realize what was going on. 

The people I don't have sympathy for are folks like Engler or the MSU gymastics coach who, even after everything came out, still managed to completely botch the response and prioritize other things ahead of the victims.

The one disappointment from my childhood cartoon watching days is that you never hear of an anvil dropping on somebody's head in real life.

A lot of people didn’t believe the allegations until his computer was searched. If it weren’t for that I think he would have had a lot of people in his corner. 

I don't know enough about it, but it seems like some of the regents (see e.g., Ferguson, Joel) need to be voted out ASAP also.

whoknew said:
I don't know enough about it, but it seems like some of the regents (see e.g., Ferguson, Joel) need to be voted out ASAP also.
They should have been gone years ago.  The trustees have been a huge part of the problem at MSU.

Joel Ferguson is an idiot and should have been forced out after his comment about the Nasser case. 

"MSU trustee Joel Ferguson said the university has more things going on than "just this Nassar thing" and laughed at the thought of NCAA investigating MSU"

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly, it sort of seems like the University either needs to be forced to completely clean house of leadership from top to bottom by the US government, or simply deny them all federal funding and let them die.

And with everything that has become known about the crimes in their athletic programs, it's a joke that the NCAA hasn't shut down their entire sports program.

Sounds like the feds are at least poised to hit hard, but my bet is that they end up giving them a slap on the wrist and require some joke extra training.

OTL Scoop

agree burn it all down no athletics no fed funding until athletics are gone focus on education and cleaning house and beg forgiveness 

agree burn it all down no athletics no fed funding until athletics are gone focus on education and cleaning house and beg forgiveness 
I share the same opinion but there are some fans who get really upset with it.  Gotta support the team.

I honestly don't know what the answer is. The NCAA's draconian punishments against Penn State ended up hurting a lot of people who had nothing to do with Sandusky's crimes or Paterno's mismanagement. To cite one (relatively minor) example, why should alumni of the PSU football program be told that none of their victories counted because of a scandal that took place entirely off the field? In the case of MSU, shutting down the athletic program would deprive a lot of innocent people of their scholarships (and possibly any chance of obtaining a college degree).

At the same time, I agree that something needs to be done to demonstrate that the way MSU has operated has been completely unacceptable. Maybe the focus should be more on cleaning house at the top -- administrators, board of regents, etc. Anyone who was a part of this fundamentally broken system.

Think of it this way: If I were interviewing someone for a job and they told me they had been a varsity athlete at MSU, I wouldn't hold it against them. But if they said they had been assistant AD or vice provost or something like that, I would be far more circumspect toward their candidacy..

In the case of MSU, shutting down the athletic program would deprive a lot of innocent people of their scholarships (and possibly any chance of obtaining a college degree).
Thats an easy fix - require MSU to maintain the scholarships.

• Thanks
Reactions: SWC
I honestly don't know what the answer is. The NCAA's draconian punishments against Penn State ended up hurting a lot of people who had nothing to do with Sandusky's crimes or Paterno's mismanagement. To cite one (relatively minor) example, why should alumni of the PSU football program be told that none of their victories counted because of a scandal that took place entirely off the field? In the case of MSU, shutting down the athletic program would deprive a lot of innocent people of their scholarships (and possibly any chance of obtaining a college degree).

At the same time, I agree that something needs to be done to demonstrate that the way MSU has operated has been completely unacceptable. Maybe the focus should be more on cleaning house at the top -- administrators, board of regents, etc. Anyone who was a part of this fundamentally broken system.

Think of it this way: If I were interviewing someone for a job and they told me they had been a varsity athlete at MSU, I wouldn't hold it against them. But if they said they had been assistant AD or vice provost or something like that, I would be far more circumspect toward their candidacy..
I never really understood why taking away victories would matter all that much.  I think it's a weak punishment.  All you're doing is taking something away on paper.  The wins happened no matter what is said and that's how they will be remembered.  Taking them away should not have much, if any, affect on someone.

As for students being affected by it, I agree that it's not fair for them.  I think the NCAA should make it so they can transfer without any issues to another school.  They can make something work out for them.

Thats an easy fix - require MSU to maintain the scholarships.
So you mean they still get an education even if they're unable to play varsity sports? You would also have to give them the option to transfer without being forced to sit out a year.

I'll confess I don't know the logistics of giving a school a "death penalty". I'm sure there is other collateral damage. I guess I was more speaking up for the general principle that any punishment should focus on those who screwed up and minimize the impact on others.

I never really understood why taking away victories would matter all that much.  I think it's a weak punishment.  All you're doing is taking something away on paper.  The wins happened no matter what is said and that's how they will be remembered.  Taking them away should not have much, if any, affect on someone.
You're right, it is a weak punishment of the school. And in terms of injustices committed against innocent bystanders, it's way down on the list. It just always stuck out to me because of how non-sensical it was: "Your assistant coach was raping young boys after practice, so that winning TD you scored against Indiana never happened."

You're right, it is a weak punishment of the school. And in terms of injustices committed against innocent bystanders, it's way down on the list. It just always stuck out to me because of how non-sensical it was: "Your assistant coach was raping young boys after practice, so that winning TD you scored against Indiana never happened."
Exactly.  You can say it as much as you want and take it out of the stat book but the person still did it.  It's still on TV.  The crowd still saw it.  They still had that experience and it can never be taken away.

Yes a player having his wins removed from the record book is an unfortunate side effect of having a coach that covered up CHILD RAPE for decades.

• Thanks
Reactions: SWC
Yes a player having his wins removed from the record book is an unfortunate side effect of having a coach that covered up CHILD RAPE for decades.
I think I've been pretty clear throughout this thread that I'm not minimizing the offenses committed by Sandusky, Nasser, et al. Nor do I think the players suffered any grand injustice by having their wins vacated. My point is that there was no logical connection between the two. It would be like if they responded to the scandal by closing down the local pizza joint in State College. And as @Hawkeye21 pointed out, it's not even really much of a punishment of the school.

I wasn't much of a fan of PSU before the scandal, and I certainly wasn't inclined to cut the school any slack afterward. So it's not out of sympathy/affinity for PSU l that I say the NCAA badly botched their punishment and ended up hurting a lot of innocent people (and I'm not talking about the vacated wins.)

i give a flying crap about wins in a book this was a systematic rape cover up scheme burn it down 

My point is that there was no logical connection between the two. It would be like if they responded to the scandal by closing down the local pizza joint in State College.
You don't think there is a logical connection between a head coach covering up rapes and the wins that he compiled while covering up the rapes?  He would literally win games and then hold football camps that helped his assistant coach groom boys for rape.  Pizza joint is a bad comparison.

I agree that there isn't much of a connection between a doctor for the gymnastics team and the MSU basketball/football programs though.

You don't think there is a logical connection between a head coach covering up rapes and the wins that he compiled while covering up the rapes?  He would literally win games and then hold football camps that helped his assistant coach groom boys for rape.  Pizza joint is a bad comparison.

I agree that there isn't much of a connection between a doctor for the gymnastics team and the MSU basketball/football programs though.
Point is, wins are usually vacated because without the violation, the team wouldn't have been in position to win the game in the first place. If the payments Reggie Bush received had been known about earlier, he would have been declared ineligible and USC might not have won the national championship. I don't see how you can argue that Paterno wouldn't have won games if Sandusky hadn't been raping children.

Anyway, I didn't mean to get sidetracked onto a discussion of the sanctity of historical wins. My original point was that I want the NCAA to throw the book at MSU, but I want them to do it in a way that focuses on holding accountable those who did wrong, and imposing fundamental changes on the way the university operates that will ensure nothing like this ever happens again. Any punishments that accomplish those goals are fine with me.

see my big thing is that when i see a program that systematcially covers up the rape of athletes and young girls in their care i say burn it down while others try to find some way to make the survival of an athletic program more important than burning down an institution that covers up the rape of athletes and young girls in its care but hey i am just funny like that i guess take that to the bank brohans 

Wasnt precedent set with penn state? Athletic program money amd "lical culrure" are more important than justice.

Former MSU prez who was forced to step down because criminal negligence in the Larry Nasser case bails out with a tax payer funded Golden Parachute.

Nineteen months after stepping down as president of Michigan State University, Lou Anna K. Simon is officially retiring effective Aug. 31.

She will receive a $2.45 million severance. Simon, who will hold the titles of president emeritus and faculty emeritus, also will receive a full pension and other retirement investments.

After leaving the presidency at age 70, Simon’s contract allowed her to become a tenured faculty member at 100% of her presidential salary the first year and 75% of that salary in subsequent years. She also was allowed a 12-month paid research leave.

Simon made $860,198 in total compensation in 2015, according to the Chronicle of Higher Education, and was offered a $150,000 raise by the MSU Board of Trustees in 2017.

Simon has been on leave since November 2018, when she was charged with four counts of lying to a peace office in connection to the state’s investigation of the Larry Nassar controversy. The criminal case is still pending.

Former MSU prez who was forced to step down because criminal negligence in the Larry Nasser case bails out with a tax payer funded Golden Parachute.

Nineteen months after stepping down as president of Michigan State University, Lou Anna K. Simon is officially retiring effective Aug. 31.

She will receive a $2.45 million severance. Simon, who will hold the titles of president emeritus and faculty emeritus, also will receive a full pension and other retirement investments.

After leaving the presidency at age 70, Simon’s contract allowed her to become a tenured faculty member at 100% of her presidential salary the first year and 75% of that salary in subsequent years. She also was allowed a 12-month paid research leave.

Simon made $860,198 in total compensation in 2015, according to the Chronicle of Higher Education, and was offered a $150,000 raise by the MSU Board of Trustees in 2017.

Simon has been on leave since November 2018, when she was charged with four counts of lying to a peace office in connection to the state’s investigation of the Larry Nassar controversy. The criminal case is still pending.
I think the halls of power are the ones truly infested. 

The problem is the contract.  It sounds like they were legally obligated to do most of this. Perhaps when they hire someone they shouldn’t promise them the world if things don’t work out.

Users who are viewing this thread