What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019 vs 2020 fantasy first round picks (1 Viewer)

Max Power

Footballguy
I think I've seen this discussed before, but couldn't find the thread. I was hoping to get some early insight from those who watch college football extensively. 

From my understanding 2019 is a "weaker" top end class for all positions. How does that line up to 2020? I've also heard 2020 might be a good year for QBs, but they never typically land high in fantasy drafts. 

I know futures is a hard thing to project, but what is the current feel on the market? Should a good 2019 team trade back or a top tier 2020 trade into 2019?

The greatest factor for comparing 2019 draft picks to 2020 draft picks is the perceived ability of your current team. If you need help at a certain position and it is likely that a prospect that you like will be available there, then the 2019 pick is valuable. As such, I much prefer to hold my draft picks until at or just before the league rookie draft to best gauge the importance of that pick, particularly first and second rounders. How most or even the majority view overall classes that far in advance is just not the critical factor for me.

The next class is always better  :P

But seriously, I always take value. If you can trade a late 2019 1st/early 2nd for a potential lottery pick in 2020, do it. The general consensus, which I agree with, is that *at the top* this is a strong WR class, weak RB class. There might be a Jordan Howard hidden in the 2nd round of fantasy rookie drafts, though, as it is a deep RB class. Just not top heavy like last year. So team need should take these things into account. 

Also, keep an eye out for a situation like Guice this year. I'm very jealous of teams that were able to snag Guice with a late 1st after his injury. That's a perfect move for a team that is strong in the current year.

The next class is always better  :P

But seriously, I always take value. If you can trade a late 2019 1st/early 2nd for a potential lottery pick in 2020, do it. The general consensus, which I agree with, is that *at the top* this is a strong WR class, weak RB class. There might be a Jordan Howard hidden in the 2nd round of fantasy rookie drafts, though, as it is a deep RB class. Just not top heavy like last year. So team need should take these things into account. 

Also, keep an eye out for a situation like Guice this year. I'm very jealous of teams that were able to snag Guice with a late 1st after his injury. That's a perfect move for a team that is strong in the current year.
Yeah lots of good RBs but they are all undersized. I really like the top of the WR class relative to the last few years. 

I can't remember who I read this from, but it was someone I respect,  I think around late November they wrote that their top 3 RB's and  top 3 WR's were not eligible until the 2020 draft.

I'd have to examine the WR's more to back up that claim but I know off top of my head I'd take at least 3  RB's eligible for 2020 draft over any RB in this draft and I know for sure I'd take Jeudy over any WR. 

QB's I don't care much about but way better next year.

This is another epic looking TE class this year so that helps the depth but RB's and WR's usually determine strength of a draft class.

While things can change right now if you lined up every RB and WR from this draft class to those eligible next year at best the top prospect this year comes in at player #5,  at best but likely lower.

To the "next years draft class is always better" group. Sometimes it really is but there are some solid prospects in this draft and a great draft if you need a TE. I think the biggest weakness of this years draft is the RB's vs the past few years and how I think the RB's will be viewed next year. The lack of RB's giving off a high trust vibe is the main thing dragging this class down IMO.

After some research it's looking like 2020 is going to be very good with RBs.  In the 2020 Draft thread Faust posted a link saying the WRs will be good, but I'm just not seeing it right now.  Nor do I see the QBs and TEs anything special in 2020.

Users who are viewing this thread