What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Gillette Commercial (1 Viewer)

Meh, whatever...   IMO ads should sell your product- spare me the lecture/ politics  :shrug:
I agree but I don't think that's why there is any outrage. 

My first thought was what the hell does this have to do with the 23-blade razor but the message is good and fair, IMO.  It's not just #METOO and touches on other important issues like bullying which is a huge problem. I prefer commercials like Walmarts new one but this is an important statement. Won't make me buy more, or fewer Gilette products though.

My first thought was what the hell does this have to do with the 23-blade razor but the message is good and fair, IMO.  It's not just #METOO and touches on other important issues like bullying which is a huge problem. I prefer commercials like Walmarts new one but this is an important statement. Won't make me buy more, or fewer Gilette products though.
I don't think this is meant to directly make you want to buy more, but the ad gets people talking about Gillette in the same way Nike has done in the past with their commercials.  :shrug:

While I agree with the point the ad is trying to make, I think it is poorly executed, although it is getting the attention that they want so what do I know. But painting any group with such a broad brush is bound to get criticized. I'm not outraged and will continue to buy Gillette products.

:shrug:

I think there is too much PC. Comedies are going to suck soon.   But I very rarely get "outraged"

While I agree with the point the ad is trying to make, I think it is poorly executed, although it is getting the attention that they want so what do I know. But painting any group with such a broad brush is bound to get criticized. I'm not outraged and will continue to buy Gillette products.
Yup.  I'll continue to buy Gillette products too.

I don't have a problem with the message and I'm definitely not outraged....but I do think it's odd coming from a shaving company. 

Meh, whatever...   IMO ads should sell your product- spare me the lecture/ politics  :shrug:
I guess maybe they feel responsible for helping create the image of what a "true man" is and want to atone a bit. But yes of course they should only really care about selling products.

Honestly I do find it weird that people that get outraged by this though. If it doesn't apply to you it shouldn't bother you (I'm using "you" in the general sense). 

I would assume that they were aware of a potential backlash, and they decided that it would be worth it. Also, negative publicity is FREE publicity, and they are getting a ton of FREE publicity out of this. And women buy razors too.

I would assume that they were aware of a potential backlash, and they decided that it would be worth it. Also, negative publicity is FREE publicity, and they are getting a ton of FREE publicity out of this. And women buy razors too.
Pink razors! Sexist bastards.

Today on the radio it was stated that women have the most buying power with razors.  Women buy their own razors, and their spouses as well.  It was also stated that Gillette knew exactly what demographic this was going to target...Women.    

It’s basically asking men to act like it. Respect women, reject bullying, no more boys will be boys attitude.

Apparently some take offense to being asked to stop being a ####.

Why is a razor company telling me this?

Because they paid a ton of money to tell you and want men to buy their blades. Then the women watching will think Gillette cares and will also buy their blades.

Last edited by a moderator:
Today on the radio it was stated that women have the most buying power with razors.  Women buy their own razors, and their spouses as well.  It was also stated that Gillette knew exactly what demographic this was going to target...Women.    
 I think i have a Gillette razor, but I honestly couldn't tell you with 100% certainty. 

The message was delivered.  By my parents.
Then what's the problem? 

I don't really have one.  Except Gillette isn't doing this out of some sense of altruism or greater good of humankind, they are doing it for the publicity and money.  And #### like this stirs up more #### and divides us even more.  I'm tired of people/companies doing things just to stir up outrage on one side or the other and then in turn the other side gets outraged and no one's minds are really changed - in fact each side is even further entrenched.  Oh, and Gillette will receive a bump from all this publicity.  Rinse and repeat.

Regardless of your opinion of Gillette specifically doing this, it cannot be denied that this is a VERY positive message. Most of us on this board likely already practice these things, but many people out there do not.
Do you think that this sort of thing makes those that do not sit back and say, "I need to change the person I am"?

I get that people don't want to be preached at in advertisements.

At the same time, the people who are losing their minds over this whole thing ... BOYCOTT GILLETTE #NOTALLMEN #CUCKSTATE. -- there's a good chance those people are probably who the commercial was talking about.   So it's like a lot of other things in this arena -- I appreciate the opportunities given to the looney fringe so self-ID, so I can pay less attention to them next time they're mad about something.  

I don't really have one.  Except Gillette isn't doing this out of some sense of altruism or greater good of humankind, they are doing it for the publicity and money.  And #### like this stirs up more #### and divides us even more.  I'm tired of people/companies doing things just to stir up outrage on one side or the other and then in turn the other side gets outraged and no one's minds are really changed - in fact each side is even further entrenched.  Oh, and Gillette will receive a bump from all this publicity.  Rinse and repeat.
Divides us into groups that support womanizers and bullies and those that don't?

I get that people don't want to be preached at in advertisements.

At the same time, the people who are losing their minds over this whole thing ... BOYCOTT GILLETTE #NOTALLMEN #CUCKSTATE. -- there's a good chance those people are probably who the commercial was talking about.   So it's like a lot of other things in this arena -- I appreciate the opportunities given to the looney fringe so self-ID, so I can pay less attention to them next time they're mad about something.  
99.9% of people have zero issue with the commercial.   It's the .01% who for some reason have a hobby of being outraged at everything.  A small but vocal group of sheep.

https://www.npr.org/2019/01/17/685976624/backlash-erupts-after-gillette-launches-a-new-metoo-inspired-ad-campaign

Ok so I live in a pretty conservative state and the daily talk shows are having a meltdown over the Gillette commercial.  I don't get it?  The commercial seems on point.  What am I missing?  Again I live in a conservative bubble and I still don't understand the outrage. 
I suspect the closer it hits home, the more "outrage" is on display.  If you have sufficient self awareness, this probably isn't an issue and you understand the times you're living in :thumbup:  

Is bullying really a huge problem? 

Because they are taking an educated guess that it will help them sell more razors.  Also, I assume they agree with the message.  I've worked with marketing types - if they really thought this would reduce sales there's about a 0% chance it would have been made.

I think it's a pretty big problem. Maybe not huge but every year we seem to have more suicides due to this. Whether it be physical or cyber. Maybe we just hear about it more now. Huge may be an overstatement but it's certainly something that exists and concerns me.

Users who are viewing this thread