What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[Dynasty] 2020 NFL Draft Class (3 Viewers)

I traded the 1.7, 1.10 and 2.1 for 1sts next year (while also getting 3rds next year as well) and some of my league mates thought I was crazy to pass on some of the players that were available. 

I’d MUCH rather take my chances on next years class than take a shot on Metcalf or some of the other guys that were available. 
Wait..you got a 2020 1st for EACH of those picks?  plus 3rds?  That's robbery. Those are good trades even without a potential stacked upcoming class.

Wait..you got a 2020 1st for EACH of those picks?  plus 3rds?  That's robbery. Those are good trades even without a potential stacked upcoming class.
Yeah.  I got a 1st and 3rd for the 1.7 and 1.10.  Was only able to get a 1st and a 5th for the 2.1.  But I didn’t care.  I knew all along I was going to wait until the draft to make those trades.  A lot of teams get so excited at the time of the draft that they don’t think ahead.  

Yeah.  I got a 1st and 3rd for the 1.7 and 1.10.  Was only able to get a 1st and a 5th for the 2.1.  But I didn’t care.  I knew all along I was going to wait until the draft to make those trades.  A lot of teams get so excited at the time of the draft that they don’t think ahead.  
This! I’m sure I can get one or two more 2020 1st rounders with the five 2019 2nds I have. I will wait until our draft in August to make my next move. 

Tex

Pro Football Focus College gave LSU junior RB Clyde Edwards-Helaire an overall grade of 84.5 for the 2018 season.

Edwards-Helaire (5'9/212) rushed for 658 yards and seven touchdowns in 2018, averaging 4.5 yards per carry to rank second on the team behind Nick Brossette. With Brossette now in the NFL, Edwards-Helaire is in a position where he could break out nationally this fall. Per Pro Football Focus the junior running back forced 33 missed tackles, and 476 of his yards were gained after contact. Edwards-Helaire isn't the biggest running back, but he has the talent needed to make an even greater impact as a junior than he did as a sophomore.

SOURCE: PFF College on Twitter

May 19, 2019, 6:21 PM ET

ESPN lists Georgia junior RB D'Andre Swift as a Heisman candidate for 2019.

ESPN's Edward Aschoff added, "After a dazzling freshman season, Swift overcame nagging injuries and a crowded backfield to pass the 1,000-yard rushing mark last season." With Swift fully healthy and Elijah Holyfield out of the picture, Swift should see more work. He may not see enough work to rack up the counting stats needed to win the Heisman though as both James Cook and Zamir White are talented runners who also figure to see plenty of touches.

SOURCE: ESPN.com

May 19, 2019, 2:47 PM ET

Per Pro Football Focus, Georgia junior QB Jake Fromm recorded the 2nd best adjusted completion percentage among returning SEC quarterbacks.

Fromm posted a 75.7 adjusted completion mark, marginally trailing Alabama QB Tua Tagovailoa's mark of 76.6. Fromm was impressive as a sophomore and figures to declare for the 2020 NFL Draft after this upcoming season. Too-early mock draft have him anywhere from the No. 1 overall pick to the end of the first round. This upcoming season will likely be the difference-maker between Fromm, Tagovailoa, and Oregon QB Justin Herbert for the top QB in this class.

SOURCE: Pro Football Focus on Twitter

May 19, 2019, 1:15 PM ET

NFL Analyst Gil Brand ranked Minnesota senior WR Tyler Johnson as his No. 3 senior WR in the 2020 draft class.

Johnson (6'2/200) is slotted behind Texas WR Collin Johnson and Ohio State WR K.J. Hill on Brandt's list. Johnson's rank of No. 3 speaks less to his own ability and more about the 2020 class of wide receivers. There's a legitimate chance that Johnson would have been a top-3 wide receiver had he declared for the NFL Draft in 2019. He's coming off a monster 78/1169/12 season as a junior and figures to play a big role in the Gophers offense again in 2019.

SOURCE: Gil Brandt on Twitter

May 19, 2019, 1:06 PM ET

ESPN lists Oklahoma senior QB Jalen Hurts as an "early Heisman contender."

Hurts has been getting a lot of hype in the media after transferring to Oklahoma from Alabama. He's always been a strong runner and ran for 954, and 855 yards in his two seasons as a starter for the Crimson Tide. The issue he could run into is his passing ability. Both Baker Mayfield and Kyler Murray flashed elite accuracy during their time at Oklahoma while Hurts has been a bit scatter-armed. He has a career 62.9 percent completion rate while averaging eight yards per attempt. Alabama's system may not be the most advantageous to quarterback efficiency but they have elite skill players and Tua Tagovailoa was significantly better in the same system. Hurts' tenure at Oklahoma will be an interesting one.

May 19, 2019, 12:54 PM ET

Alabama junior WR Jerry Jeudy was seen working out with Oakland Raiders WR Antonio Brown.

Despite some of Brown's questionable off-field antics, he's undoubtedly great on the field. Jeudy's draft stock was already sky-high heading into his junior season and refining his skills with one of the best route-runners in the NFL only adds to that. Jeudy is Mel Kiper's No. 1 overall draft-eligible prospect and has been routinely mocked inside the top-5 picks in too-early 2020 Mock Drafts.

SOURCE: Charlie Potter on Twitter

May 19, 2019, 12:33 PM ET

Rutgers junior RB Raheem Blackshear has the second-most receptions per game among returning FBS running backs.

Blackshear (5'9/188) caught 44 passes across 12 games as a sophomore with Rutgers playing from behind for most of the season. With that very likely to remain the case, Blackshear is a threat for 40-50 receptions in 2019. As a rusher, Blackshear has averaged a modest 4.5 yards on his 182 career carries, but his total production makes him one of Rutgers' top skill players.

May 18, 2019, 7:32 PM ET

Rice redshirt senior RB Austin Walter had the second-most receiving yards per game among returning FBS running backs.

Walter (5'9/202) averaged 40.4 receiving yards per game last year with Rice trailing big often, and he'll likely be a receiving threat once again after gaining an extra year of eligibility. In addition to his receiving chops, Walter led the Owls in rushing, so he'll be the premier option for Rice in 2019 once again.

May 18, 2019, 6:56 PM ET

New Mexico State senior RB Jason Huntley has the most receiving yards per game among returning FBS running backs.

Huntley (5'9/185) has posted two straight seasons with at least 39 receptions, but his 2018 campaign was his best yet. Last year, Huntley grabbed 43 passes for 529 yards (11.3 YPR) and three touchdowns across 12 games (44.1 YPG). With New Mexico State trailing often, Huntley figures to remain a weapon as a receiving while the Aggies play catch-up.

May 18, 2019, 6:41 PM ET

UCLA redshirt senior RB Joshua Kelley has the third-most total yards per game among returning FBS running backs.

Kelley (5'11/204) was sensational for the Bruins, averaging 5.5 yards on his 225 carries while snagging 27 receptions. With few options, UCLA will once again give Kelley a huge workload as they look for a capable starting quarterback, so another 1,000-yard season is expected if he can remain healthy. Depending on how well Kelley tests at the NFL Scouting Combine, Kelley will be given Day 2 or Day 3 grades.

May 18, 2019, 6:28 PM ET

Arizona redshirt junior RB J.J. Taylor averaged the second-most total yards per game among returning FBS running backs.

Taylor's 130.6-yard per game average only trails Wisconsin's Jonathan Taylor who tops the list with 173.4 yards per game. Despite being 5-foot-6 and 184 pounds, Taylor showed physicality as a redshirt sophomore after seeing 271 touches. If Khalil Tate can rebound after an injury-plagued 2018 season, Taylor should see more than the six touchdowns he scored last year, even if he's not the Wildcats' goalline option.

May 18, 2019, 6:23 PM ET

Illinois redshirt senior RB Reggie Corbin averaged the second-most yards per touch among returning FBS running backs.

Corbin (5'10/200) was limited to just 128 carries in 2018, but he still managed to turn that into a 1,085-yard season after averaging 8.5 yards per carry. In addition to his rushing work, Corbin averaged 11 yards on his 16 receptions. With his high-end efficiency, the Fighting Illini need to give Corbin more looks in 2019 as he looks to improve his draft stock. Gil Brandt ranked Corbin No. 4 on his early 2020 running back list.

SOURCE: Gil Brandt on Twitter

May 18, 2019, 5:59 PM ET

UCF junior RB Greg McCrae leads returning FBS running backs in yards per touch.

McCrae (5'10/175) averaged 9.2 yards on his 141 touches last year, only trailing third-round RB Darrell Henderson for the FBS lead. Only 5-foot-10 and 175 pounds, McCrae doesn't have the build to shoulder a big load, but he will remain one of the better complementary pieces in college football. A gifted runner with an 8.9 yards per carry average, McCrae is a threat for a long touchdown every time he has the ball in his hands. Hopefully the Knights give McCrae more opportunities as a receiver in 2019, as that's his best chance of making it in the NFL.

May 18, 2019, 5:54 PM ET

Last edited by a moderator:
Texas junior QB Sam Ehlinger is the leading returning Big 12 quarterback in Pro Football Focus' "Big-Time Throws" metric.

Ehlinger (6'3/235) had 22 of them last year, narrowly beating Iowa State's Brock Purdy and Baylor's Charlie Brewer for the Big 12 lead. The Texas quarterback had a wonderful 25/5 TD:INT ratio as a sophomore, giving him very high expectations in 2019. In fact, when Heisman odds were released two months ago, Ehlinger was given 20-to-1 odds, making him a tier two quarterback behind Trevor Lawrence and Tua Tagovailoa. If Ehlinger is able to make a few more big-time throws in 2019, the Longhorns could find themselves in the College Football Playoff.

May 18, 2019, 3:37 PM ET

Per Pro Football Focus, Appalachian State redshirt junior QB Zac Thomas posted the best passer rating in a clean pocket among returning Sun Belt quarterbacks.

Thomas recorded a 16/3 TD/INT ratio, 74.2 percent adjusted completion rate and 113.1 passer rating in a clean pocket last season. He handily outperformed the competition with UL Monroe QB Caleb Evans recording a 100.6 passer rating as the next closest. Thomas' full-season stats weren't as exciting with a 62.6 percent completion rate while averaging eight yards per attempt. He'll look to continue building on an encouraging 2018 season.

May 18, 2019, 1:40 PM ET

Alabama junior WR Jerry Jeudy was seen working out with Oakland Raiders WR Antonio Brown.

Despite some of Brown's questionable off-field antics, he's undoubtedly great on the field. Jeudy's draft stock was already sky-high heading into his junior season and refining his skills with one of the best route-runners in the NFL only adds to that. Jeudy is Mel Kiper's No. 1 overall draft-eligible prospect and has been routinely mocked inside the top-5 picks in too-early 2020 Mock Drafts.

SOURCE: Charlie Potter on Twitter

May 19, 2019, 12:33 PM ET
Smart kid! I wondered why more top prospects didn’t do this.

Tex

This! I’m sure I can get one or two more 2020 1st rounders with the five 2019 2nds I have. I will wait until our draft in August to make my next move. 

Tex
No one in any of my leagues (all w/IDP) entertained moving #1's and #2's in 2020 - don't blame them.  So I have multiple #3's, which I'll try to package over the next few months to move up to the second - and then the first.

Breakout age: Using PFF grades to identify potential breakout rookie fantasy receivers

Excerpt:

Jerry Jeudy, Ceedee Lamb, Laviska Shenault, Tyler Johnson, Tee Higgins, and Tylan Wallace all made at least one of our three charts, and all six are eligible to come out in 2020. Justyn Ross (who just set the PFF College record in yards per route run) and Rondale Moore, given their grades respective to age, might be truly generational prospects in 2021.

While it’s true that every year dynasty players say that the next year’s class is going to be a lot better than the current year’s class, this is the first year I’m saying it. The 2020 class, as well as Ross and Moore, have the chance to be very special. I’d start trying to acquire and hoard first-round rookie picks from those classes now.

I know this is a meaningless mock draft but I'm curious if the same people who called 2019 a poor draft class because only 1 rb went round 1, and late at that... how many would say the same about 2020 if 1 rb went round one late
Well, there's a lot more talent at RB coming out next year than this, and this mock has maybe 4 WRs going in the 1st. I can see 1 RB taken in the 1st, maybe 2 tops. The 2nd round should see quite a few come off the board. So, to answer your question, I still think people will be high on the 2020 class based on how many good prospects there are and should realize that with so much talent available, RBs are bound to drop.

Well, there's a lot more talent at RB coming out next year than this, and this mock has maybe 4 WRs going in the 1st. I can see 1 RB taken in the 1st, maybe 2 tops. The 2nd round should see quite a few come off the board. So, to answer your question, I still think people will be high on the 2020 class based on how many good prospects there are and should realize that with so much talent available, RBs are bound to drop.
I was specifically referencing a comment in the 2019 thread where a particular poster's main reason for saying the class was terrible was that there was only 1 rb late round 1

Dr. Dan said:
I was specifically referencing a comment in the 2019 thread where a particular poster's main reason for saying the class was terrible was that there was only 1 rb late round 1
Gotcha. I agree that only 1 RB in the 1st does not condemn a class.

The Athletic's Doug Hall writes that some within the Arizona State program believe that senior WR Brandon Aiyuk has "NFL potential."

Aiyuk showed flashes of playmaking ability in 2018, and caught nine passes for 61 yards in the bowl loss to Fresno State in December. The Sun Devils lost star playmaker N'Keal Harry to the NFL, and while Kyle Williams is certainly going to compete for that go-to option, it sounds like Aiyuk is the one who has the best chance of succeeding at the next level. No matter who win the quarterback job, the 6-foot-1, 195-pound wideout should be among the leaders in targets for the Sun Devils, and he just might be their breakout star.

SOURCE: The Athletic

May 24, 2019, 9:16 PM ET

Per Pro Football Focus, Alabama junior WR Jerry Jeudy contributed a 125.1 passer rating when targeted last season.

Jeudy (6'1/192) and QB Tua Tagovailoa clicked on all cylinders last season with 1,315 receiving yards and 14 touchdowns on 68 receptions. The Biletnikoff winner flashed speed, route-running prowess, and great hands as a sophomore. As long as Tagovailoa stays healthy Jeudy is a great bet for another 1,000 yards and 10 touchdowns. The hype may have gotten a bit out of control with Jeudy being mocked inside the top-5 of multiple 2020 mock drafts but he's a great player nonetheless.

May 26, 2019, 1:47 PM ET

Per Pro Football Focus, Clemson junior RB Travis Etienne recorded 44 runs of 10-or-more yards in 2018.

Etienne had an outstanding 2018 season with 1,658 rushing yards and 24 touchdowns on 204 attempts. He also forced 52 missed tackles and racked up 884 yards after contact. Etienne is one of the top-rated running backs heading into next season and will likely have another strong season as Clemson's offense returned most of their key players.

May 26, 2019, 1:17 PM ET

South Carolina senior QB Jake Bentley finished fourth in "big-time" throws according to Pro Football Focus.

Bentley had one more than top-prospect Georgia QB Jake Fromm, but 10 less than the leader in this category, Alabama QB Tua Tagovailoa. Bentley posted a 27/14 TD/INT ratio last season and will be playing to boost his 2020 NFL Draft stock. He improved dramatically last season and will need to take another step forward if whe wants to be viewed as a potential Day 2 selection come next spring.

May 26, 2019, 11:50 AM ET

Per Pro Football Focus, Colorado junior WR Laviska Shenault led the PAC-12 in yards per route run.

Shenault (6'2/220) recorded 3.44 yards per route run, the most in the PAC-12 by a wide margin. The next closest qualifying wideouts were USC WR Amon-Ra St. Brown with 2.65 yards per route run followed by USC WR Michael Pittman Jr. who averaged 2.28. Shenault proved to be a special talent last season after racking up 1,011 receiving yards on 86 receptions as a sophomore. Another productive season should keep him in the conversation of the top wideout selected in the 2020 NFL Draft.

May 26, 2019, 11:09 AM ET

Liberty senior WR Antonio Gandy-Golden had the second-most 20+ yard plays in 2018 among returning FBS receivers.

Gandy-Golden (6'4/220) was fantastic when healthy last year -- he only played 11 games -- and he will remain one of the better non-Power 5 receivers in 2019. Only trailing potential first-round WR Tylan Wallace, Gandy-Golden made 23 20+ yard plays in 2018. That explosiveness will get him plenty of NFL looks after he aims for his third straight 1,000-yard season.

SOURCE: CFB Stats

May 25, 2019, 8:52 PM ET

Pro Football Focus gave Nebraska redshirt junior WR J.D. Spielman an 83.4 overall grade last year.

Spielman (5'9/185) was 34th among FBS pass-catchers in yards per game (81.8) last year, and he's a candidate to improve on that average in 2019 as Heisman candidate Adrian Martinez's top target. As the No. 1 a season ago, Stanley Morgan posted a 70-1,004-7 receiving line, but the Cornhuskers are expected to improve their offense with Martinez heading into his sophomore season. Expect Spielman to be one of the more productive receivers in college.

May 25, 2019, 7:19 PM ET

Georgia junior QB Jake Fromm had the best passer rating against FBS winning teams in 2018 among returning FBS quarterbacks.

Fromm doesn't have the total production of other first-round quarterbacks, but he is an efficient passer playing in a conference loaded with defensive talent. Against FBS winning teams last year, Fromm tossed 24 touchdowns to just six interceptions while averaging 8.4 yards per attempt. With another season filled with strong opponents, Fromm will have to play like a first-round talent for Georgia to reach the College Football Playoff, especially without Riley Ridley, Mecole Hardman, and other offensive weapons leaving for the NFL.

SOURCE: CFB Stats

May 25, 2019, 7:13 PM ET

Louisiana Tech redshirt senior RB Jaqwis Dancy had the best Pro Football Focus grade in 2018 among returning Conference USA running backs.

Dancy (5'11/194) made the most out of last year's 124 carries when he totaled 667 yards and nine touchdowns. In addition to the rushing production, Dancy caught 16 passes, making him a potential three-down back for Louisiana Tech if he continues to out-gain Israel Tucker. If Dancy earns more carries, he has an outside chance of reaching 900-1,000 yards in 2019.

May 25, 2019, 6:29 PM ET

ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr. ranks UCLA redshirt senior RB Joshua Kelley as his No. 5 senior running back for the 2020 NFL Draft.

Kelley (5'11/204) opted to return for his final season despite rushing for 1,243 yards and 12 touchdowns in UCLA's sub-par offense last year. The 2018 breakout running back will be spoon fed carries once again, so it will be a challenge for Kelley to remain in good condition for the entire season as a somewhat smaller back. If Kelley handles another big workload and tests well at the Combine, he should be in the mix as a Day 2 or Day 3 pick.

May 27, 2019, 8:53 PM ET

ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr. ranks Memphis senior RB Patrick Taylor as his No. 4 senior running back for the 2020 NFL Draft.

Taylor (6'3/233) was a contributor to one of the nation's best rushing attacks last year, and he'll get to be the face of it this year with Darrell Henderson in Los Angeles with the Rams. As a junior, Taylor averaged 5.4 yards per carry while scoring 16 touchdowns, and at his size, NFL teams should view him as a potential goalline back. If Taylor can show athleticism during the pre-draft process, he'll be on the Day 3 radar.

May 27, 2019, 8:39 PM ET

ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr. ranks Utah senior RB Zack Moss as his No. 2 senior running back for the 2020 NFL Draft.

Moss (5'10/215) only trails Ke'Shawn Vaughn for the top spot, but they'll both have their hands full competing with a stacked junior class of runners. Before he gets to the pre-draft process, Moss will need to show he's healthy after ending his junior season with a knee injury. When healthy, Moss is one of the more elusive backs in the class and he should ultimately be on the Day 2 or Day 3 radar.

May 27, 2019, 8:30 PM ET

ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr. ranks Ole Miss senior RB Scottie Phillips as his No. 3 senior running back for the 2020 NFL Draft.

This is a somewhat bold stance considering Phillips is 5-foot-8 and only has one season of production, but he was really strong for Ole Miss in 2018. His junior season included 12 touchdowns and 928 rushing yards on just 153 carries (6.1 YPC), and he should take on a larger role as a senior with the entire Rebels' passing offense now in the NFL. If Phillips takes a small step forward and tests well at the Combine, he should be on the Day 3 radar.

May 27, 2019, 8:26 PM ET

ESPN's Mel Kiper considers Stanford redshirt senior QB K.J. Costello as a top 2020 NFL Draft prospect.

As a redshirt junior last year, Costello (6'4/216) quietly finished sixth in Total QBR, sixth in YPA against FBS winning teams and eighth in Passing EPA. However, he'll be without JJ Arcega-Whiteside, Kaden Smith, and Bryce Love this time around, but Costello should be up for the challenge. For now, consider Costello on the Day 2/3 borderline with a relatively deep quarterback class joining Costello.

May 27, 2019, 8:10 PM ET
ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr. ranks South Carolina senior QB Jake Bentley as his No. 5 senior quarterback prospect for the 2020 NFL Draft.

Bentley (6'4/244) had a nice junior campaign where he finished fourth in PFF's "big-time throws" metric, but he'll be without second-round receiver Deebo Samuel in 2019. Bentley needs to clean up his interceptions as a senior to be a Day 2 selection in the 2020 NFL Draft, especially given the quarterback talent that he'll be competing against.

May 27, 2019, 7:52 PM ET

ESPN's Mel Kiper ranked Utah State redshirt junior QB Jordan Love as his No. 5 underclassman quarterback for the 2020 NFL Draft.

Love (6'4/220) is one of the more underrated NFL quarterback prospects since he doesn't play in a Power 5 conference, but he'll likely be gunning for a Day 3 draft pick this season. As a redshirt sophomore last year, Love tossed 36 touchdowns to just six interceptions while adding seven scores on the ground. But Love has inherited a new coaching staff in 2019 and will have to overcome drastic home/road splits -- he averaged 10.6 yards per attempt at home and 6.9 YPA on the road in 2018.

May 27, 2019, 7:46 PM ET

ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr. ranks Colorado redshirt senior Steven Montez as his No. 3 senior quarterback prospect for the 2020 NFL Draft.

Montez (6'5/235) trails Oregon's Justin Herbart and Iowa's Nathan Stanley, but he probably trails a large handful of underclassmen with Tua Tagovailoa, Jake Fromm, Jacob Eason, K.J. Costello, Jordan Love, and others expected to declare early. At Colorado, Montez has shown pretty consistent play but arguably not a lot of upside. Unless he elevates his play, Montez will either be a Day 3 pick or an undrafted free agent.

May 27, 2019, 7:22 PM ET

Kent State senior RB Jo-El Shaw had the second-best PFF grade in 2018 among returning MAC running backs.

Shaw (6'1/230) only trails Toledo's Bryant Koback for top honors in the conference, but Shaw should be even more productive in 2019 with Justin Rankin transferring out. As a junior last year, Shaw averaged 4.8 yards on his 138 carries across nine games (657 yards) and he threw in nine receptions as well. A powerful runner, Shaw should convert goal line carries into touchdowns in his final collegiate season.

Jun 1, 2019, 8:48 PM ET

Per Pro Football Focus, Ohio senior QB Nathan Rourke recorded a 98.9 passer rating when given a clean pocket in 2018.

Rourke posted a 70 percent adjusted completion rate but was also a threat on the ground with 39 runs of 10+ yards and an 87.2 rushing grade. Despite a 70 percent completion rate when adjusting for drops and throwaways, Rourke aspires to be more accurate as his actual completion percentage was just 59.9 percent last season. He'll likely continue to be one of the most productive dual-threat quarterbacks in all of college football next season.

Jun 2, 2019, 11:59 AM ET

Per Pro Football Focus, SMU redshirt senior WR James Proche had a drop rate of just 3.1% in 2018.

Proche (5'11/190) posted a sharp overall PFF grade of 86.1 during the past campaign. He averaged 6.0 yards after the catch on his 93 receptions. For the season as a whole, the redshirt senior racked up 1,199 receiving yards and 12 touchdowns. He closed matters out in strong fashion, putting up 418 yards over his last three games, including a scorching 183-yard performance against Tulsa in the Mustangs' final contest of the fall. Expect plenty more offensive fireworks this coming season so long as Proche can maintain his health. He'll be catching balls from Texas transfer Shane Buechele in a few months' time.

Jun 5, 2019, 8:22 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread