What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[Dynasty] 2020 NFL Draft Class (4 Viewers)

Fair. 

That whole offense is in disarray. It seems like Henderson was drafted to be in an offense that has since changed a lot. I’m not sure his skill set fits. Neither Brown or Henderson seem like complete backs. So I think drafting Akers makes sense. It surprises me that they took Akers over Dobbins. I happen to be very high on Dobbins and I’m a little puzzled why he slipped so far, however I’m not paid to scout college athletes :)  
This is an interesting point and something I wish we all had discussed more than when did after the Rams selected Henderson.

The Rams in 2018 ran more outside zone runs than any other team in the NFL that year. They had a lot of success with the scheme up until meeting the Patriots in the Super Bowl.

What the Patriots did is they played a 6-1 defensive front with the 4 linemen all playing their gaps with inside shade to not allow creases to open up and the 2 outside LB would play the outside gaps. Doing this helps prevent the effectiveness of double teams as defensive linemen focus on holding position in their gap instead of penetrating up field.

Henderson came from primarily a gap blocking scheme in Memphis which is pretty different than outside zone the Rams like to run. I didn't give this enough thought at the time, just assuming that the Rams know what they are doing and would select players who fit their offensive scheme.

I think the biggest problem for the Rams offense was not the scheme so much as the talent that they lost on their offensive line with John Sullivan retiring and Roger Saffold leaving in free agency. I think they also had an injury to their starting right tackle as well.

Other teams the Rams faced in 2019 used the 6-1 defense against them as well, because it was effective. The Rams response to the defense in the SB and also last season was to use more 2 TE formations and they also started to use more gap blocking concepts such a duo.

The adjustment seems to fit the scheme that Henderson comes from in Memphis more than the outside zone does. Henderson is on record saying that he struggled to adjust to the ZBS.

Cam Akers had terrible blocking in college having to do more with less most of the time. The Rams havent really improved their offensive line that I can see, so I think that is where Akers fits in. He can gain a lot of yards after contact and he has good vision to find and take what is there, when there isn't much for a RB to work with.

To me it seems like poor decision making on the Rams part to trade up for Henderson when he came from a very different blocking scheme than what they use. I cannot explain why they would do that, but they did.

I have to apply that grain of salt when considering their decision to draft Akers where they did as well.

Context Matters @dwainmcfarland

Top 36 PPR hit rate for 2nd-round rookie RBs since 2007:

Total Hit Rate: 41% (11 of 27)

Best bets: landed in wide open backfields = 55% hit rate (think Akers/Swift)

Worst bets: landed behind solid starter or aging vet = 10% hit rate (think Dobbins/Taylor/Dillon)
https://twitter.com/dwainmcfarland/status/1291202337239900160?s=21

Context Matters @dwainmcfarland

To make sure everyone is clear, this is a re-draft tweet focused on rookie year performance in these scenarios.

Hayden Winks @HaydenWinks

Haven’t bought the narrative that this elite rookie WR class will struggle more than usual. A few rookies should see enough volume to be flex options.

Teams’ WR1/2 immediately: Ruggs, Reagor, Jefferson, Aiyuk, Jeudy.

WR3s: Lamb, Pittman, Higgins, Shenault, Hamler, Mims.
https://twitter.com/haydenwinks/status/1291387014852382721?s=21

Hayden Winks @HaydenWinks

My redraft rookie WRs:

1. Ruggs

2. Reagor

3. Lamb

4. Jefferson

5. Aiyuk

John Brown wowed by Bills rookies, excited about Brian Daboll's scheming

Excerpt:

Expectations for most NFL rookies are lower than usual this year because of a lack of spring practices and reduction in training camp work. Not so, according to Brown, for Bills draft picks Gabriel Davis and Isaiah Hodgins, taken in the fourth and sixth rounds, respectively.

“Those two rookies are the two best I’ve seen so far since I’ve been in the league,” Brown said. “Those guys know the playbook better than any of the veterans right now. Gabe Davis played different positions. He knows every spot. He knows every alert, hot read. He’s going to be a big help to the puzzle. With those guys, it’s amazing because they’re even out there to help me.”

The Bills have yet to hit the field for padded practices. Asked if the veteran receivers are spending extra time in virtual meetings with the two rookies, Brown replied:

“You didn’t hear me. Like they’re helping us. They’ve got this stuff down pat, like I’ve never seen before. They have it down pat. We’re asking them all the questions. They know everything. These kids are smart. They came in and the first week they got the playbook they knew everything. It amazed me how fast they’re moving.”

Saints listed seventh-round QB Tommy Stevens as a tight end.

He's wearing No. 85 at practice, so his quarterbacking days are over. An athletic dual-threat quarterback out of Mississippi State, Stevens will have to prove himself on special teams and on the practice field at his new position to make the final roster. Some compared Stevens to Taysom Hill during the pre-draft process.

SOURCE: Luke Johnson on Twitter

Aug 12, 2020, 5:04 PM ET

Seahawks coach Pete Carroll said fourth-round RB DeeJay Dallas "has made a really good first impression."

"He’s very versatile, he catches the ball well, he runs well, runs routes real well," Carroll continued,"has a background of running routes as a receiver, has a quarterback background going back to high school. He’s got a real versatility to him." Dallas (5'10/217) was recruited to Miami for his versatility as a running back, quarterback, and receiver but only totaled 293 collegiate touches as he was never entrusted as a three-down back. Fortunately, Dallas' excellent hands (one drop in his career) remains the one trait the rest of Seattle's backfield lacks. The rookie will garner immediate playing time in place of Rashaad Penny (PUP) if he can win the team's third-down role.

SOURCE: Liz Mathews on Twitter

Aug 14, 2020, 8:43 AM ET

Mike Kaye @mike_e_kaye

Running a 9-route in 1on1 drills against CBs who historically struggle against straight-line speed is fun ... it’s also a pretty one-sided drill.

That said, Quez Watkins’ speed tracks. Initially, I thought he’d be a project. Interested to see how he does vs. press. #Eagles
https://twitter.com/mike_e_kaye/status/1294614481297907714?s=21

Greg Malenchek @GMalenchekNFL

Quez Watkins absolutely blew by Douglas and then tops it off with a one handed snag 🔥
https://twitter.com/gmalencheknfl/status/1294429475443179526?s=21

DK Dominates & Other Observations From The Sixth Practice Of Seahawks Training Camp

Excerpt:

2. DeeJay Dallas' receiver background is evident. 

Rookie running back DeeJay Dallas played multiple positions in high school, and began his college career at Miami as a receiver and that versatility shows in his game, particularly when it comes to the pass-catching part of his job. Dallas doesn't just have good hands, his route-running is also more polished than you might expect out of a running back, particularly a rookie back. 

The competition at running back will be intense, so Dallas will still have his hands full beating out the likes of Carlos Hyde, Travis Homer, and when healthy, Rashaad Penny, when it comes to earning playing time behind starter Chris Carson, but the rookie's pass-catching skills could help him carve out a role for himself in a crowded position group.

Eagles beat writer Jeff McLane said rookie WR John Hightower could be a Week 1 starter after an impressive training camp. 

McLane said Jalen Reagor and Hightower "look at the very least like receivers who can play on Day 1." Hightower beat veteran CB Darius Slay at Thursday's practice. He's been "hard to handle" in one-on-one drills during Eagles camp. Hightower would have to beat out quarterback-turned-receiver Greg Ward to land a Week 1 starting job after being taken with the 168th pick in this year's draft. He would add more speed to a suddenly speedy Philadelphia offense. 

SOURCE: The Philadelphia Inquirer 

Aug 20, 2020, 5:55 PM ET

The Cardinals' official website expects seventh-round RB Eno Benjamin to make the 53-man roster as the No. 3 running back provided he shows well on special teams this summer. 

Described as a "free spirit" by coach Kliff Kingsbury, Benjamin has made a strong initial impression in camp. "He has a knack for finding the hole, there's no doubt," Kingsbury said. "He definitely has a feel for the run game, and that's exciting to see where he can take this thing. He has to find a role in and contribute on special teams, and he knows that, but we like what we've seen so far." Benjamin isn't a gobsmacking athlete, but he is versatile and has impressive wiggle to go along with a low center of gravity. He's definitely worth keeping around in Dynasty leagues this season. 

SOURCE: azcardinals.com 

Aug 20, 2020, 5:33 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread