What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[Dynasty] 2020 NFL Draft Class (6 Viewers)

I like the list.

Do you have concerns about Shenaults injury history? 
To an extent, yes. I try not to hold injury history against a player unless it's an ongoing or chronic issue but the guys after 1.4 are kind of bunched up for me, so I could see using his durability as a tie-breaker depending on landing spots and draft capital.

South Carolina TE Kyle Markway entering NFL draft

Rotoworld:

South Carolina redshirt senior TE Kyle Markway has decided to forego his final year of eligibility and will enter the 2020 NFL Draft.

Markway (6'4/250) was awarded a sixth year of eligibility late in the season because he lost two years to injury, however he ultimately decided it was time to move on from the Gamecock program. Markway caught 31 passes for 349 yards and two touchdowns while serving as USC's primary TE thanks to an injury to co-starter Kiel Pollard and the transfer of veteran reserve Evan Hinson. Nick Muse stepped up in their absence, but then tore his ACL as well. Markway is in the Day-3 or UDFA discussion depending on how he tests in the lead up to the draft.

SOURCE: Charlotte Observer

Dec 10, 2019, 6:29 PM ET

Last edited by a moderator:
USC senior WR Michael Pittman will play in the team's Holiday Bowl matchup with Iowa on Dec. 27.

Pittman (6'4/220) was kind enough to announce this outright on Twitter, saving the universe from speculation. The Biletnikoff finalist is coming off a regular season in which he posted a 95-1222-11 receiving line. He will be starting into the draft evaluation process in earnest once the Trojans are past the Holiday Bowl. Pittman could potentially emerge as one of the more interesting mid-round wide receiver prospects in this class. He is all kinds of reliable.

SOURCE: Michael Pittman on Twitter

Dec 10, 2019, 6:00 PM ET

Travis Etienne massively insulted. If he is anything like Lamar Miller, he's on my do not draft list.
He is almost on my do not draft list as it is. I don't understand the appeal. Maybe that changes but right now I'm not sure I want to take the gamble 

Tennessee senior WR Jauan Jennings has accepted his invitation to play in the 2020 Reese's Senior Bowl.

Jennings (6'3/208) was the top wide receiver for the Volunteers this year, catching 57 passes for 942 yards and nine touchdowns. He has been suspended for the first-half of the TaxSlayer Gator Bowl due to an incident where Jennings stepped on Vanderbilt's Justice Shelton-Mosley head after his helmet fell off. Jennings was previously dismissed from the team in 2017 but was reinstated last season by HC Jeremy Pruitt. Jennings has prototype NFL size and has produced quality numbers in the talent-laden SEC. He is likely in the Day 2 or Day 3 mix for the 2020 NFL Draft.

SOURCE: Reese's Senior Bowl on Twitter

Dec 10, 2019, 6:52 PM ET

Utah State redshirt junior QB Jordan Love has decided to forego his final year of eligibility and will enter the 2020 NFL Draft.

Love (6'4/225) had an incredible sophomore season under the tutelage of 2018 HC Matt Wells and OC David Yost. He completed 64% of his passes and threw for 3,567 yards with a 32/6 ratio, while also rushing for seven TD's on the ground. However Wells and Yost departed for Texas Tech this offseason and former HC Gary Andersen was brought back to run the team for a second stint. The drop-off was steep for Love, as he only managed to throw for 3,085 yards and an unsightly 17/16 ratio with no rushing touchdowns this year. Even so, Love has NFL size and thrives in situations where he needs to improvise. He is being floated as a possible first-round pick whose value will ultimately depend on how he handles the draft evaluation process.

SOURCE: Jordan Love on Twitter

Dec 10, 2019, 9:04 PM ET

2020 NFL Draft: Utah State quarterback Jordan Love, a possible first-round pick, will leave school early

NFL draft: Utah State QB Jordan Love declares early after poor statistical season

Georgia senior TE Eli Wolf has accepted his invitation to play in the East/West Shrine Bowl.

Wolf (6'4/236) grad-transferred from Tennessee to Georgia this past February and earned consistent reps behind starting TE Charlie Woerner. In 2018 he played in 7 games for the Vols, catching five passes for 30 yards and a touchdown as a reserve. The transfer paid off for Wolf, as he improved greatly on his 2018 usage by catching 13 passes for 194 yards and a touchdown in eight games. The Shrine Bowl invite is a great chance for Wolf to make an impression on NFL scouts.

SOURCE: Shrine Bowl on Twitter

Dec 10, 2019, 8:24 PM ET

Florida State junior WR Keith Gavin has accepted his invitation to the East/West Shrine Bowl.

Gavin (6'3/220) is a former four-star recruit who played in eight games catching 16 passes for 157 yards and zero touchdowns this year for the Seminoles. His best season for FSU came in 2018 when he snagged 26 passes for 415 yards and a touchdown in nine games. Gavin has recorded 66 receptions for 810 yards and a 12.3 YPC over his four seasons in Tallahassee. Gavin will need a big showing in Shrine Bowl practices top put himself on the NFL radar.

Dec 10, 2019, 10:23 PM ET

Travis Etienne massively insulted. If he is anything like Lamar Miller, he's on my do not draft list.
I understand where you are going with this comment, but you do realize that Lamar Miller is in the top 100 NFL career rushing yards right?

Most teams would sign up right now for a guaranteed 6k rushing yards in 7 years.  The draft is not an exact science.

I know it's just a mock, but could you imagine the cluster at the top if Houston took Dobbins, KC Harris, Miami Taylor, and Baltimore Swift? 

In that case would it be possible that the defacto 1.1 in December could slip to 1.6 when you factor in Jeudy and Lamb?!
In my ppr league where guys are obsessed with WRs and I think RBs will drop. I could win it all because of this.

We start 2-4 wr/rb. I sucked at this league but I turned it around by finding a QB and TE and only drafting RBs early. I have 3 first round picks to continue this RB formation.

Drafted Jackson, McCaffery, Hunt and picked up Waller, Carson, Lindsay(thank you) off the ww.

Arizona State RB Eno Benjamin declared for the 2020 NFL Draft.

Benjamin (5'10/216) announced his draft decision on his Instagram page. The ASU standout exploded into the national consciousness with a 1,642-yard, 16-touchdown showing in 2018. He dropped off (relatively speaking) to 1,083 rushing yards and 10 touchdowns for the just completed regular-season. As a prospect, Benjamin is a marvelous receiver -- 83 catches for his career at ASU -- and a true workhorse of a back, taking over 250 carries in each of the last two seasons. Benjamin has Day 2 potential with a strong evaluating process.

SOURCE: Eno Benjamin on Twitter

Dec 11, 2019, 1:20 PM ET

FAU senior TE Harrison Bryant was named winner of the John Mackey Award.

The Mackey is awarded annually to the top tight end in the country. Bryant (6'5/225) scoops up the honor thanks to a beautiful 2019 campaign in which he logged a 65-1004-7 receiving line in 13 games (those stats include his work in the C-USA title game). Next stop for Bryant will be the Boca Raton Bowl, with the Owls set to take on SMU on Dec. 21. That's assuming he decides to play in the bowl. Bryant will be taking part in the Reese's Senior Bowl come January as he starts into his NFL Draft prep. We could potentially see Bryant selected late on Day 2 with a strong evaluating process, though an early Day 3 slot should probably be viewed as his more comfortable range.

SOURCE: John Mackey Award on Twitter

Dec 11, 2019, 12:30 PM ET

The most underrated college football players of 2019

Excerpt:

TE HARRISON BRYANT, FAU

The tight end group across the college football landscape has completely underwhelmed in 2018. While most are performing far below expectation, there is one who has maintained his excellence: Florida Atlantic’s Harrison Bryant. In 2017 and 2018, Bryant flew under-the-radar, with the Owls posting elite receiving grades. He followed up those campaigns with a career- and FBS-high PFF grade of 92.8 in 2019.

In the passing attack, the FAU offense was filtered through Bryant more than any other receiver on the roster, and the return was massive — his 3.04 yards per route run are the third most at his position, and his 25 explosive plays are the most by three. Not to mention, he has the most broken tackles after the catch, with 12.

Whether you throw him on the end of the line to have him chip block or put him in the slot, Bryant remains the best tight end in the country. More specifically, Bryant has stood out on seam routes. On those targets, he is, shockingly, first in PFF grade and has the most seam catches and most receiving yards. He might as well be called “Gronk 2.0” for the level he has been playing at.

Excellent list!

For some of us that play in big play scoring IDP leagues where QB sacks are 6 points apiece (defensive stars score the same as offensive stars) could Chase Young fit on your list?  If so where?
I haven’t seen any IDP setups where the top defenders crack the draft ahead of the top offensive talent, simply due to positional scarcity.  Finding a bellcow back or elite WR is simply harder than finding a LB that can get you a 6-8 tackle floor, or a DE that will get 6-8 sacks in a season.

Young should be the top idp off the board though, and I’ll be surprised if he doesn’t crack the lower first round in that scoring system even with (maybe in part because of) the wealth of offensive talent in this draft.  Sharks could well decide that Young early and a second round receiver is a better total gain than taking the 4th WR and getting a second round defender.  

I expect 6th to be Young’s draft ceiling in most leagues, with an adp probably around 8-9.

Arizona State RB Eno Benjamin has accepted his invitation to play in the Reese's Senior Bowl.

Benjamin (5'10/216) has already declared for the 2020 NFL Draft, so now he is eligible to play in the Reese's Senior Bowl even though he is a junior. Benjamin had a sensational sophomore season, rushing for 1,642 yards, a 5.5 YPC and 16 touchdowns in 2018. He took a slight step back statistically this year posting 1,083 yards, a 4.3 YPC and ten touchdowns. A talented receiver out of the backfield, Benjamin caught 42 passes for 347 yards and two touchdowns in the air. Benjamin should be in the Day 2 conversation if he tests well in the post-season evaluation process.

SOURCE: Reese's Senior Bowl on Twitter

Dec 12, 2019, 9:58 PM ET

Georgia redshirt senior K Rodrigo Blankenship was named the 2019 Lou Groza Award winner.

Blankenship (6'1/191) made 25-of-31 field goal attempts this season, hitting three-of-five kicks from beyond 50 yards, and eight-of-eleven from 40-49 yards. He also was a perfect 44-for-44 on extra points, for a total of 119 points on the season. Blankenship is Georgia's second-leading of all-time and was also named one of 12 finalists for the 2019 William Campbell Trophy that recognizes the best scholar-athletes in college football. Blankenship is considered the best kicker in the 2020 NFL Draft class and will be a priority for teams in need of an upgrade at the position.

SOURCE: Lou Groza Award on Twitter

Dec 12, 2019, 8:23 PM ET

Mississippi State running back Kylin Hill declares for NFL draft

Mississippi State RB Kylin Hill announced his declaration for the 2020 NFL Draft on Thursday.

Hill is regarded as one of the best mid-round options in this draft class. At 5-foot-11, 215-pounds, Hill is a thick back with a bruising style and a knack for hitting it up between the tackles. Though Hill is not the fastest runner in a sprint, he shows enough quickness and explosiveness in short areas to win at the second level. Hill said he still plans to play in the team's bowl game. Expect Hill to go somewhere in the 3rd to 5th round range.

SOURCE: Kylin Hill on Twitter

Dec 12, 2019, 2:24 PM ET

In his most recent position rankings, Bleacher Report's Matt Miller tagged Mississippi State junior RB Kylin Hill as the biggest potential "sleeper" at the position.

Miller current ranks Hill as the No. 12 back in the prospective spring pool, but sees a potential under-the-radar steal, here. For the fall campaign, the 5-foot-11, 215-pound junior rushed for 1,347 yards and 10 touchdowns -- the fourth-best yardage total in school history. Hill very much figures to be in play for a Day 2 selection assuming a clean evaluating process.

SOURCE: Bleacher Report

Dec 11, 2019, 2:49 PM ET

Texas senior WR Collin Johnson (hamstring) is expected to play in the team's Alamo Bowl matchup with Utah on Dec. 31.

Johnson (6'6/220) could easily have sat this one without anybody blinking an eye, as he not only will be heading into the draft upcoming, he has also been fighting a finicky hamstring over the past few months. The big wideout only managed to appear in six games during the regular season. The offshoot of this is that Johnson could probably actually use some work in the Alamo Bowl, if only to give scouts and evaluators some extra film to chew on. Testing results at the combine will be key for Johnson's ultimate draft slot. DraftWire's Luke Easterling had Johnson coming off the board in Round 3 in a recent mock draft.

SOURCE: Brian Davis on Twitter

Dec 12, 2019, 3:19 PM ET

Which RBs are the best in 2020?

We polled a few personnel people over the past few weeks, and there appears to be no clear-cut RB1 in this class.

The leading candidates for that mantle appear to be Wisconsin’s Jonathan Taylor, Georgia’s D’Andre Swift and perhaps Clemson’s Travis Etienne. But bounce-back seasons for Ohio State’s J.K. Dobbins and Utah’s Zack Moss and breakout seasons from Alabama’s Najee Harris, Oklahoma State’s Chuba Hubbard and LSU’s Clyde Edwards-Helaire make this a difficult class to stack, rank and project for landing spots.

In April, only one running back was selected before the 53rd overall pick — Josh Jacobs, who went 24th overall to the Oakland Raiders. Between picks No. 53 and 87, a run at the position unfolded with five more backs going off the board. Another mini-RB run arrived with five backs drafted between picks 102 and 128.

“That’ll start earlier this year, I suspect, but it’ll last longer,” the national scout said.

That’s because this class also should include Florida State’s Cam Akers, Mississippi State’s Kylin Hill and others who could end up top-100 picks. In the past decade, the average number of backs drafted in the first 100 picks (roughly Rounds 1 through 3) has been 6.8, with a high-water mark of eight selected four different years in that span.

“I could see that number hitting 10, depending on who comes out,” the national scout said. “That is, if there are enough teams needing one.”

For the fantasy folks out there, help is on the way. And for the draft fans of teams who need immediate help in the run game — such as the Miami Dolphins, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Atlanta Falcons and others — the talent is incredibly appealing, especially outside of Round 1.

“There are some teams that took running backs last year who might be regretting that a bit now,” the scout said. “This class is just flat-out better all around. You need the smaller, quicker back, he’s there; the bigger, more powerful ones [and] the pass-catching backs, some who can be returners, it’s just a fun class to evaluate.”

Added an NFC scouting director we spoke with: “You watch ... someone in what I call that top group [Swift, Taylor, Etienne, Dobbins and perhaps Moss] will go a lot later than you’d expect. There are more backs than teams really needing backs, I think.”

Don’t forget about the wide receivers

We posed a question to the two evaluators: Is this also the deepest, most talented receiver class they’ve seen?

“I wasn’t in the league yet for that 1996 group,” the scouting director said of the group that included Hall of Famers Marvin Harrison and Terrell Owens, along with Muhsin Muhammad, Keyshawn Johnson, Eric Moulds and others. “But most recently, I think you look at 2014 and stack it against that one. It might be right there.”

The 2014 WR class was indeed loaded: Odell Beckham Jr., Mike Evans, Davante Adams, Allen Robinson, Brandin Cooks, Jarvis Landry, Sammy Watkins and John Brown were among the headliners that year. Could 2020 surpass that impressive lot?

“I’m not sure yet,” the director said, “but it could be close.”

Said the national scout, “I love this group of receivers. Like we talked about with the running backs, you have all shapes and sizes. We still don’t know all the [underclassmen], but I think it has a chance.

Our most recent mock draft reflects this class’ depth: Only one running back made our top 32, but six receivers went off the board. We haven’t had that many in Round 1 since 2015, with only 11 first-round receivers the past four years combined.

Alabama alone has a chance to land at least two and possibly three wideouts in Round 1 — Jerry Jeudy, Henry Ruggs III and DeVonta Smith, who has been the breakout production-wise for the Crimson Tide this season.

Oklahoma’s CeeDee Lamb and Clemson’s Tee Higgins will be in the running for our personal WR1 rankings this season. Both could end up top-20 picks.

Colorado’s Laviska Shenault Jr. and TCU’s Jalen Reagor had disappointing seasons, production-wise, but are well-liked among scouts who have not forgotten how explosive they were in 2018.

Breakout stars such as Arizona State’s Brandon Aiyuk, Penn State’s KJ Hamler, LSU’s Justin Jefferson, USC’s Michael Pittman Jr., Boise State’s John Hightower, Minnesota’s Tyler Johnson and many more could add layers upon layers of depth, depending on who declares.

Like Bama, Michigan has three draftable receivers (Donovan Peoples-Jones, Tarik Blackand Nico Collins) as well. Texas, Florida and Ohio State also could have multiple wideouts picks in April. And on and on ...

“I think there will be teams that double dip,” the director said, “because you have so many different flavors: speed, size, shiftier guys. There might not be that Calvin Johnson type of physical freak ... but there’s just about everything else here.”

Call it a fantasy footballer’s dream if you want, but the 2020 class might end up the best collection of backs and receivers we’ve had in the same draft in some time.

I really love this class! L.O.V.E IT!

Theres ONE team who I’m convinced will draft a RB that we and the entire Fantasy Community are completely missing. One that may be just as appealing as KC and that team is Pittsburgh. I just don’t believe they will go next year with the current backs they have now. They at one point were attempting to trade for Bell but it fell through. They will draft a stud RB and he maybe 1.1b to KC who will be 1.1a or flip it however you wish but Pittsburgh is being overlooked in drafting a RB.

Tex

Good thing there are a lot of WRs because off the top of my head, PHI needs about 4 of them, CIN & MIA could use 2 each at least. ARI & IND could use an overhaul. The Texans and Saints only have 1 on the roster. There's a lot of openings.

According to CBS42 (WIAT, Birmingham, Alabama) sports director Chris Breece, Alabama junior WR Devonta Smith is leaning towards returning to school for his senior season.

A lot can change between now and the early entry deadline in mid-January, so while this report does appear to be good news for Alabama nothing is guaranteed. Smith (6'1/175) caught 65 passes for 1,300 yards and 13 touchdowns in 12 games, going over 200 yards in two of those appearances. He's been projected to be a late-first/early-second round pick, with ESPN's Todd McShay ranking Smith 30th on his most recent big board. Including teammates Jerry Jeudy and Henry Ruggs, the wide receiver position projects to be very deep in this spring's NFL Draft. Whether or not that impacts Smith's thinking remains to be seen, but according Breece's report there's at least a chance that he'll be back in Tuscaloosa next season.

SOURCE: Chris Breece on Twitter

Dec 13, 2019, 8:24 PM ET

Boise State senior WR John Hightower has accepted an invitation to play in the East-West Shrine Bowl.

Hightower (6'2/172) has been a much-improved player in his second season at Boise State, as he's caught 48 passes for 923 yards and eight touchdowns. The senior wide receiver was also productive as a kick returner, averaging 25.4 yards per kick return and running one back for a 98-yard touchdown. For his efforts Hightower was a second team all-Mountain West selection as both a wide receiver and kick returner. Due to the big play ability as both a pass-catcher and kick returner, he'll likely hear his name called at some point during Day 3 of this spring's draft.

Dec 13, 2019, 6:25 PM ET

The Athletic's Bruce Feldman recently spoke with a Pac-12 coach who believes that Oregon State redshirt senior QB Jake Luton will play in the NFL.

The coach told Feldman that Luton is "very underrated and talented." Talking our language, here, Mr. Feldman. We've had a secret little crush on Luton and the Beavers for several years, now. And it was actually warranted in 2019, with a finally-healthy Luton throwing for 2,714 yards (62% completions) with a majestic 28/3 TD/INT ratio in 11 games. The 6-foot-7, 229-pounder possesses a nice, big frame and the requisite arm strength. He is by no means a lock for a selection in the draft proper, but we'll be keeping an eye on Luton's progress over the coming months.

SOURCE: Bruce Feldman on Twitter

Dec 13, 2019, 2:03 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread