What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[Dynasty] 2020 NFL Draft Class (7 Viewers)

Faust said:
Was listening to Kirwan/Miller show in Sirius yesterday. They've had a guest with them this week I'm not familiar with, a guy named Paul Alexander who served as Bengals OL coach from 2003-2017.

This Paul Alexander guy wanted to say something on the show and he wanted it to be a big deal when he said it. It was actually kind of a weird spot because he was trying to highlight how big what he was saying was, expecting to get like a major "WOW" type reaction but Kirwan/Miller sort of blew him off.  It's like Alexander had this big juicy story to share and no one wanted to hear it. Again I know nothing about this Alexander guy and if  he is just prone to bouts of BS, but if he is to be taken remotely seriously he did drop a newsy nugget IMO.

What Paul Alexander was trying to say was that he had contacts from all his years with the Bengals and he had heard that Herbert was the QB they wanted in this draft.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Giants met with Dayton TE Adam Trautman, Texas A&M WR Quartney Davis and Texas WR Devin Duvernay at the Senior Bowl.

We'll focus on Trautman, who is winning some fans at Mobile now that he's hopped off the small stage and gotten in front of Big Draft Media at their favorite annual event. "I am a HUGE Adam Trautman fan," tweeted NFL.com's Daniel Jeremiah. "He has a really good feel as a route runner and he’ll more than hold up in the run game." Trautman is attempting to make his case to get drafted on Day 2.

SOURCE: USA Today

Jan 23, 2020, 3:51 PM ET

Dayton TE Adam Trautman said that the Bears have shown interest in him at the Senior Bowl.

Trautman has been one of Mobile's hottest interview requests this week. "Literally, I had a guy reach around and grab me by the stomach and was like 'Hey, I need to talk to you,' " Trautman said anecdotally. He nodded at the Bears as one team in particular that appears smitten. "They tell me they like what they see," said Trautman. Trautman posted a 70-916-14 receiving line last fall in the FCS.

SOURCE: NFL.com

Jan 23, 2020, 3:59 PM ET

Small-school tight end who never caught a pass before 2016 is now an NFL draft prospect

I don’t like Van Jefferson. He’s a classic example of scouts just making #### up. They say he doesn’t have great speed but he’s hit >20 mph this week. If they can’t tell what’s fast or slow how can they decipher what is or is not good route running?

Vanderbilt RB Ke'Shawn Vaughn (undisclosed) will not take part in the remainder of the Reese's Senior Bowl practice week.

This according to event executive director Jim Nagy. Just what Vaughn might be dealing with, here, is currently an unknown. NFL.com's Chase Goodbread passes along that while the Vanderbilt back has nixed for further game/practice action, the 5-foot-10, 218-pounder is expected to stick around in Mobile in order to talk with interested NFL squads. Vaughn profiles as a mid-round selection for April's draft.

SOURCE: NFL.com

Jan 23, 2020, 4:59 PM ET

Utah State QB Jordan Love's marijuana possession citation has been dismissed.

Love (6'4/225) was one of three Utah State players arrested and charged with marijuana possession in mid-December following a complaint at an off-campus housing complex. The strong-armed quarterback is currently taking part in Senior Bowl activities down in Mobile. He could still face some questions from NFL teams regarding this incident, but it's almost certainly not going to have an impact on his draft stock at this point, now that the citation has been dismissed.

SOURCE: Salt Lake Tribune

Jan 23, 2020, 5:25 PM ET

The Athletic's Dane Brugler writes that Florida WR Van Jefferson's positive momentum from Tuesday carried over to Wednesday’s practice" at the Reese's Senior Bowl.

"Jefferson facing off against UCLA’s Darnay Holmes was a fun battle with both competitors barking at each other after each rep," Brugler writes. "Holmes won a few battles, but Jefferson won the war, and that ability to create his own space translates very well to the next level." The analyst is keen on Van the Man's "pace, tempo and purpose," which are key to his ability to separate given that he is not an out-and-out burner. Brugler is not the only one who has been impressed by Jefferson this week, as ESPN's Todd McShay has likewise seen nice things out of the Florida wideout.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Jan 23, 2020, 6:04 PM ET

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports that USC WR Michael Pittman did not take part in Thursday's practice at the Reese's Senior Bowl due to a strained ligament in his foot.

Bummer, as it looks like Pittman will not be taking part in Saturday's contest. Per Pelissero, while the 6-foot-4, 220-pound wideout may be nixed for further physical activities, he is still in Mobile talking with interested NFL parties. We have seen a few unfortunate injuries crop up in Mobile this week, with Auburn DL Marlon Davidson (ankle) and Vanderbilt RB Ke'Shawn Vaughn (undisclosed) also down for the count. Pittman is one of our favorite Day 2-type receiver prospects in the 2020 class.

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter

Jan 23, 2020, 6:16 PM ET

The Athletic's Dane Brugler writes that Michigan LB Josh Uche's speed is "consistently stressing out blockers during Senior Bowl drills."

"[Uche] wins with immediate explosion that blockers simply cannot account for in space, introducing his long arms to stay on path to the quarterback," Brugler writes of the 6-foot-2, 250-pound Michigan standout. The analyst additionally notes that Uche has "also done a nice job when asked to drop and cover" while in Mobile this week. With a strong process -- off to a nice start, here -- Uche could have a shot at a Day 2 selection come April.

Jan 23, 2020, 6:57 PM ET

Lunchbreak: Zierlein Highlights Day 2 Standouts from Senior Bowl Practices

Excerpt:

Zierlein began his list with Oregon quarterback Justin Herbert.

I came into this week thinking Herbert was the best quarterback here in Mobile, and he's only solidified that belief with his performance through his first couple Senior Bowl practices. He looks confident out there, and he's not making many mistakes with his decisions. And this is a crucial week for him. Where he ends up going in the draft will be determined more by how he fares this week than his showing at the NFL Scouting Combine.

Everyone knows he has the talent of a first-round, franchise QB, but the big question for him at this event is how does he lead his teammates? How does he step up and perform consistently? The Senior Bowl gives him a better stage to display his abilities in those areas than the combine, and he's been up to the challenge to this point. I've been very impressed with his intermediate tosses across the field. Those are throws not everyone can make, but he made it look kind of easy.

Zierlein also came away impressed by Florida wide receiver Van Jefferson.

On tape, right off the bat, you can see Jefferson's a coach's son based on how he competes (his father, Shawn, is a former NFL receiver who currently serves as the New York Jets' WRs coach). Van's production with the Gators wasn't great, but when you ask around about that issue, the fact that UF's QB play has been inconsistent pops up quite a bit. I know this much: His routes are impeccable.

His ability to get open underneath and disguise his breaks is really fun to watch. He made tight-window catches against some pretty good corners on Wednesday. If he's able to break a 4.5-second 40-yard dash at the combine, he's going to get pushed up the draft board. Wherever he goes, he has a chance to outperform his draft position.

The Athletic's Dane Brugler writes that North Carolina DL Jason Strowbridge has been "consistently pushing the pocket and destroying opponents during one-on-ones" at Reese's Senior Bowl practices.

"He uses his powerful bear claws and 33-inch arms to extend into blocks, creating immediate knock-back and a path to the pocket," Brugler writes of the 6-foot-5, 285-pounder, adding that "Strowbridge also shows the agile feet to quickly get around roadblocks and finish." At this juncture, the UNC product ranks as Brugler's No. 77 overall prospect for the spring draft. The analyst likes Strowbridge for upward mobility off that ranking given what he has seen down in Mobile this week.

Jan 23, 2020, 8:58 PM ET

“you can see Jefferson's a coach's son based on how he competes (his father, Shawn, is a former NFL receiver who currently serves as the New York Jets' WRs coach)”

And now we see how the unnecessary rise of a 23 year old redshirt senior who was unproductive with 4 different QB’s came to be.

Jim Nagy @JimNagy_SB

2020 @seniorbowl North Squad Offensive Practice Players of the Week (voted on by the position group they competed against in practice)

QB: Jordan Love, Utah St.

RB: Joshua Kelley, UCLA

WR: K.J. Hill, Ohio St.

TE: Brycen Hopkins, Purdue

OL: Josh Jones, Houston

Jim Nagy @JimNagy_SB

2020 @seniorbowl North Squad Defensive Practice Players of the Week (voted on by the position group they competed against in practice)

DL: Davon Hamilton, Ohio State

LB: Francis Bernard, Utah

DB: Jalen Elliott, Notre Dane

ST: Tyler Bass, Georgia State

I don’t like Van Jefferson. He’s a classic example of scouts just making #### up. They say he doesn’t have great speed but he’s hit >20 mph this week. If they can’t tell what’s fast or slow how can they decipher what is or is not good route running?

“you can see Jefferson's a coach's son based on how he competes (his father, Shawn, is a former NFL receiver who currently serves as the New York Jets' WRs coach)”

And now we see how the unnecessary rise of a 23 year old redshirt senior who was unproductive with 4 different QB’s came to be.

Obviously you don't like him and feel like he's a scout creation which is fine  but this kind of insistence that he's a made up prospect just reminds me of the two people last offseason who felt it was their duty to preach in thread after thread that Josh Jacobs was a scout/media creation.

Don't you think the QB situation, the one you brought up which is a very valid point,  is actually making the case as to why he was not overly productive? Especially when he was actually the most productive WR on the team each of his two seasons with them would it not seem QB was a major issue for anyone in Florida to be overly productive?

He got on my radar back in December when I heard LSU's Kristian Fulton in an interview respond that Jefferson was the best WR he faced all year.  Which I bring up to point I would not be so quick to assume this little bit of buzz we hearing about is simply a creation.

Obviously you don't like him and feel like he's a scout creation which is fine  but this kind of insistence that he's a made up prospect just reminds me of the two people last offseason who felt it was their duty to preach in thread after thread that Josh Jacobs was a scout/media creation.

Don't you think the QB situation, the one you brought up which is a very valid point,  is actually making the case as to why he was not overly productive? Especially when he was actually the most productive WR on the team each of his two seasons with them would it not seem QB was a major issue for anyone in Florida to be overly productive?

He got on my radar back in December when I heard LSU's Kristian Fulton in an interview respond that Jefferson was the best WR he faced all year.  Which I bring up to point I would not be so quick to assume this little bit of buzz we hearing about is simply a creation.
No. Zach Mettenberger was Jarvis Landry and Odell Beckham’s QB, they produced meeting all metrics and breakout age. Ken Dorsey was Santana Moss, Andre Johnson and Reggie Wayne’s QB... same deal. He’s not good and he’s old as dirt for a prospect. He’s a fictional prospect who has generated buzz by a backdoor probably because his dad is a coach and former player. 

ETA: Kyle Traisk threw for almost 3000 yards this year. The collective of Florida threw for almost 4000 yards. Despite this, as a 22 year old redshirt senior, he failed to reach a 20% recieving market share. On top of Trask he played with Chad Kelly, Shae Patterson and Jordan Ta’amu... despite all that he never posted a 20% market share meaning he never broke out. Unproductive WR’s are 99 times out of 100 unproductive because they are bad and not for what had happened surrounding them.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are two ironies about Van Jefferson.

1) He’s going to go to the combine and should run sub 4.5 if he can run 21mph in pads

2) If he goes in the top 3 rounds he has to go on my board for probability sake alone. 

Jim Nagy @JimNagy_SB

2020 @seniorbowl South Squad Offensive Practice Players of the Week (voted on by the position group they competed against in practice)

QB: Jalen Hurts, Oklahoma

RB: La’Mical Perine, Florida

WR: Van Jefferson, Florida

TE: Jared Pinkney, Vanderbilt

OL: Lloyd Cushenberry, LSU

Jim Nagy @JimNagy_SB

2020 @seniorbowl South Squad Defensive Practice Players of the Week (voted on by position group they competed against in practice)

DL: Javon Kinlaw, South Carolina

LB: Akeem Davis-Gaither, App. State

DB: Dane Jackson, Pittsburgh

ST: Blake Ferguson, LSU

#TheDraftStartsInMOBILE

In his latest mock draft, ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr. pegged Utah State QB Jordan Love to the New Orleans Saints with the No. 24 overall pick.

"At 6-foot-4, 225 pounds, Love can make every throw, and NFL teams are high on his talent. He could be a first-round pick with a strong pre-draft process, which started at the Senior Bowl (this week)," Kiper writes of the Utah State gunslinger. Round 1 is probably a bit rich for our tastes when it comes to Love, but his physical ability is going to engender fans this spring. It's just a matter of how bullish those teams end up being. All told, Kiper has four quarterbacks (Joe Burrow, Tua Tagovailoa, Justin Herbert, Love) landing on Day 1 in this most recent mock exercise.

SOURCE: ESPN Insider

Jan 24, 2020, 9:00 PM ET

Oregon QB Justin Herbert completed 9-of-12 passes for 83 yards with a touchdown for the South All-Stars in the Reese's Senior Bowl on Saturday.

Herbert also picked up 22 yards rushing, although 19 of those yards came after Michigan EDGE Josh Uche decided not to sack him. The touchdown pass was a screen pass to Lamical Perine from 16-yards out. Herbert (6'6/237) got mostly positive reviews for his week in Mobile, and while he isn't likely a candidate for the first-overall pick, but he has a chance to be a Top 10 selection come April because of his athleticism.

Jan 25, 2020, 3:23 PM ET

Oklahoma QB Jalen Hurts completed 2-of-7 passes for 25 yards with an interception for the South All-Stars on Saturday in the Reese's Senior Bowl.

Hurts (6'2/218) was constantly under pressure, as the South offensive line had absolutely no answer for Utah's Bradlee Anae and Michigan's Josh Uche. The interception was a silly throw that was put up for grabs after he was hit hard by Annae. Hurts had a very strong week of practices, but this was not the former Alabama and Oklahoma signal-caller's best day. We'll see just how much this poor outing hurts his stock; we're guessing the practices mean more.

Jan 25, 2020, 4:22 PM ET

Michigan QB Shea Patterson completed 6-of-10 passes for 131 yards with a touchdown and interception for the North All-Stars on Saturday in the Reese's Senior Bowl.

Patterson (6'2/202) flat-out missed a receiver for the pick, and the pass would have been intercepted by two defenders if the first hadn't have made the play. The touchdown was a blown assignment on a wheel route to Darius Anderson, but did show some nice touch from the former Wolverine and Ole Miss quarterback. Patterson was once thought of as a potential first-round pick, but he's now likely a Day 3 prospect -- at best -- at this point.

Jan 25, 2020, 4:22 PM ET

Perine, Kelley and Gibson really look the part of an NFL RB. Maybe not a full fledged stud but someone who can be the lead back in a committee. All have the size, quickness and receiving acumen if they land in a good offense. 

UCLA RB Joshua Kelley rushed for 105 yards on 15 carries in Saturday's Reese's Senior Bowl.

Kelley (5'11/219) was not able to find the end zone in the contest, but he turned in a workmanlike effort on Saturday, averaging 7.0 YPC with a long run of 29 yards. While the UCLA product lacks elite athleticism, he knows how to bust it up for tough yards inside and profiles as a likely later selection for Day 3 of April's draft. Nice start to his draft process, here.

Jan 25, 2020, 5:52 PM ET

Florida RB Lamical Perine rushed for 42 yards on seven carries while catching two passes for 17 yards and a touchdown in Saturday's Reese's Senior Bowl.

Perine (5'11/218) was earlier named a South Squad Practice Player of the Week for his work in Mobile over the past few days. He then came out in the game itself and showed off his versatility, catching a 16-yard touchdown pass from Justin Herbert in the first quarter to open the contest's scoring. As for his pro upside, Perine isn't a burner and has his limitations athletically, but plays fantastic in how he chips in on the fringes, as both a receiver and blocker. A Day 3 selection will very much be in play come April.

Jan 25, 2020, 6:30 PM ET

Memphis WR/RB Antonio Gibson rushed for 68 yards on 11 carries in Saturday's Reese's Senior Bowl.

Gibson (6'2/221) was a multifaceted weapon at Memphis, seeing time both at running back and receiver. He did not log a catch during the Senior Bowl on Saturday, but did show out quite well as a traditional runner, averaging 6.2 YPC with a long run of 10 yards. He'll need to continue to hit positively as the evaluation process rolls on if he is to crack the draft proper.

Jan 25, 2020, 6:39 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread