What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[Dynasty] 2020 NFL Draft Class (5 Viewers)

Punter ranking that has Braden Mann at #3.

Some would think ranking Braden Mann as the #1 punter is a foregone conclusion, given he shattered the record for punting average as a junior, with an absurd 51.0 yards per kick. There is a significant problem though: He kicks line drives. Hang time is very low, giving plenty of time for big returns. Outpunting coverage in the NFL is a great way to turn the game around for the other team, and is a significant red flag. His leg power is undeniable and it’s possible that he’ll be able to improve his hangtime without sacrificing distance, but a 17.5% fair catch rate is horrible. Accuracy and directional punting are pretty good for Mann, and he handles kickoff duties.

Funny how Brandt sees Heyward-Bey in Ruggs and I had just posted yesterday about why they're so different. Ruggs isn't like Bey; he was likely a first-rounder before the combine. Bey leapt everybody in Al Davis's eyes -- a big mistake -- and was doomed by his lack of basic football qualities like field awareness. Ruggs III doesn't seem to have that problem at all. 
DHB also had stone hands 

Exactly. DHB had small stone hands and Ruggs has huge TE sized mitts and I think had one drop last year. I was disappointed the other day when I saw this comp from Brandt.
I'm with you but Brandt has bombed a lot over the last several years.

Tex

I didn't know if this was posted, around the time after the Combine but it's interesting.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/2020-nfl-scouting-combine-latest-news-rumors/

5:00 PM ET (via Tony Pauline): A new RB1 for some teams in the NFL Draft?
I know of at least three teams who presently grade Jonathan Taylor as the number one back in the draft. It’s partly because of the game-breaking speed he proved on Friday night, as well as the fact he fits best as a feature runner compared to the other top backs in this year’s draft.

2:45 PM ET (via Tony Pauline): A shift in wide receiver rankings?
There’s a shift in the wide receiver rankings as teams in Indianapolis all say Justin Jefferson, Denzel Mims, and Chase Claypool were the big winners from Thursday night’s workout. As a result, the trio will watch their draft stock rise.

Jefferson ran much faster than anyone thought as teams wondered if he was a true vertical threat and he’ll now get consideration in the late part of round one.

Mims capitalized on a great week of Senior Bowl practice with a sensational Combine workout. During my Senior Bowl postscript, I mentioned that teams were saying if Mims performed well at the Combine, he would move into the second round. That is assured at this point.

Finally, Claypool’s workout from Thursday night is reminiscent of former Notre Dame WR Miles Boykin from a year ago. Entering the draft, some wondered if Boykin would have to move to tight end.

Several teams were also very impressed with Michael Pittman Jr., who could now move into the draft’s top 60.

On the contrary, there were also several prospects who disappointed at the 2020 NFL Combine. Let’s begin with CeeDee Lamb. Teams leave the Combine with as many questions about his speed as they had when they arrived in Indianapolis.

Additionally, Laviska Shenault Jr. will now struggle to find a spot in the first round. He not only ran poorly but also got injured. This has been a prevalent issue for almost two years now.

And while some may think that Jalen Reagor slipped out of the first round, don’t throw dirt on those possibilities just yet. Reagor’s times on Thursday night were disappointing – no doubt – but he was also 14 pounds heavier than his playing weight.

Last season, Reagor played between 192-195 pounds. However, he weighed in a musclebound 206 pounds at the Combine. I’m told in the weeks leading up to the Combine, Reagor posted a laser time of 4.32 seconds at 195 pounds.

TCU’s pro day hits the calendar in late March, around the 27th of the month. While everyone will be watching Reagor’s testing times, be sure to also keep a close eye on his weight.

8:45 AM ET (via Ben Allbright): Eagles looking to trade up?
It is no secret that the Philadelphia Eagles are in need of wide receiver help. In fact, there are many rumblings that they will draft one in the first round. However, sources tell Ben Allbright that the Eagles are worried they may not be in line to get the wide receiver they covet. Because of that, they have started exploring opportunities to trade up and get ahead of the Denver Broncos.

11:45 AM ET (via Tony Pauline): Raiders eyeing receivers early in the draft
Word at the Combine is the Las Vegas Raiders will go receiver heavy in the draft with some people telling me the team could use both first-round picks on the position. As usual, the franchise will look for speed at the position. While most believe they will target Jerry Jeudy, what will Las Vegas do if the Alabama junior is not available to them?

Keep a close eye on TCU wide receiver Jalen Reagor, especially with that second selection in the first round. I’m told the team really likes Reagor and he is expected to test through the roof, running incredibly fast with a vertical jump that will be at least 39-inches.

7:00 PM ET (via Tony Pauline): Six receivers in the first round?
There’s been plenty of talk about the strength of the wide receiver class in the 2020 NFL Draft but what do general managers around the league think will happen as the Combine opens up?

I’m told the expectations right now are six receivers will end up in the first round and a total of 15 will be off the board by the end of round two. Obviously, that is subject to change over the next month and a half but that’s the present feeling as the position is set to work out on Thursday.

This explains the decline of CeeDee Lamb in mocks and rankings lately. He's a baller, anyone pass on him they'll be regretting it and I'm sure Lamb will wear it on his sleeve as motivation.

Tex

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry if posted before, but this was interesting. Best/Value picks and tendencies of GMs.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001108562/article/nfl-draft-guide-each-gms-best-pick-top-value-pick-tendencies
Interesting for sure. I don’t think GM’s should necessarily be judged on Pro Bowl players but it would neat to see some type of analytical grading on GM’s. Players that become starters, how many starts, how they perform compared to others at their position....etc.

Interesting for sure. I don’t think GM’s should necessarily be judged on Pro Bowl players but it would neat to see some type of analytical grading on GM’s. Players that become starters, how many starts, how they perform compared to others at their position....etc.
Building on this, it would also be interesting to see the number of draft picks that become starters on other teams. There are cases where the HC either doesn't like the player, or fails to get the potential out of a player (I am looking at you Adam Gase).

Sorry if posted before, but this was interesting. Best/Value picks and tendencies of GMs.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001108562/article/nfl-draft-guide-each-gms-best-pick-top-value-pick-tendencies
Read that the day it came out and stopped when I got to Denver and  realized they left off Von Miller. Maybe it's just one omission but one so glaring it just made me think I'd need to research every team for accuracy and just decided to quit reading.

Read that the day it came out and stopped when I got to Denver and  realized they left off Von Miller. Maybe it's just one omission but one so glaring it just made me think I'd need to research every team for accuracy and just decided to quit reading.
I would guess that they started considering his drafting history beginning in 2012. Which is probably correct since Brian Xanders left the team after the 2011 season, and Elway assumed the role of general manager then.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would guess that they started considering his drafting history beginning in 2012. Which is probably correct since Brian Xanders left the team after the 2011 season, and Elway assumed the role of general manager then.
Fair point. I had just recalled reading were Von Miller was considered Elway's first pick and that aligned with year he was hired but this is a good point.

"Lamb is the most advanced wide receiver prospect I’ve seen since we started grading college players six years ago. That’s not to say he’s the best, but he’s got the little things about the position down pat."

I just...I can't...I can't EVEN with this stuff anymore!  :loco:

Users who are viewing this thread