What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020 Political Strategy: Should Trump be impeached/removed? (1 Viewer)

Senate Republicans should...

• Remove him

Votes: 49 84.5%
  • Don't remove him

Votes: 9 15.5%

• Total voters

Captain Cranks

Footballguy
Assume for a second that Mueller's report is pretty damning and that Trump's guilty of a substantial impeachable offense (more than the campaign finance violations).  Is it in the Democrats' best interest for the 2020 election to impeach and potentially allow the Senate to remove him from office?  Conversely, aren't the Republicans better served to wipe him away, move Pence into the presidency, and run him or someone else in 2020?  

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think it is in their best interests (which is why they haven't pushed it too strongly), but, particularly if Mueller's report is pretty damning, this is not a question about the politics and strategy.  It's about the rule of law and the Constitution.  If any Democrat puts 2020 electoral chances above that, they should be thrown to the curb with the lot of them.

Assume for a second that Mueller's report is pretty damning and that Trump's guilty of a substantial impeachable offense (more than the campaign finance violations).  Is it in the Democrats' best interest for the 2020 election to impeach and potentially allow the Senate to remove him from office?  Conversely, aren't the Republicans better served to wipe him away, move Pence into the presidency, and run him or someone else in 2020?  
Simply put, yes it is in the democrats best interest to remove a corrupt politician from office, because it is best for America.  

This decision should be based on what's in the best interest of the country.  (Hint: it's impeachment).
I don't think this can be overstated.

No matter where you stand on Trump's policies - Trump himself is bad for the country.

He has been a 1-man wrecking crew on American ideals since he took over.  He has trashed relationships that have been built over decades - with allies who have stood by our side when we needed them.  He has lowered the political discourse in this country to 5th-grade school yard level.

I'm kind of skeptical of the notion that it would be all that politically risky for Dems in terms of their 2020 chances.  If/when the Senate falls short of what's needed for removal, you still get the benefit of putting discussion and analysis of all these impeachable offenses front and center in the news in a way that even Trump could not displace unless he launched a war or something. And this would be happening during the run-up to an election, which would be bad for both Trump and for any Republicans in swing states/districts who would be put on the spot. For all the talk of Clinton's impeachment backfiring on the GOP, they still won the 2000 presidential election with a fairly mediocre candidate running against a two-term VP and maintained control of both houses of Congress for another 6 years.

The bigger political risk is that you really only get one shot at it if you do it during the runup to an election. If you do it and he survives, and then also wins in 2020, we're basically living in a dictatorship for the next four years.

Also the GOP is stuck with Trump for 2020 unless he resigns in time to allow them to nominate someone not affiliated with the administration AND Trump agrees to endorse and support them. Pence would get killed- he's got a good bit of the downside of Trump by virtue of his affiliation and his own bigotry issues, and none of the upside.

Not gonna bother engaging any of the trolls individually, but for those laughing off the chances of impeachment you can currently buy "No" shares on the question of whether Trump will be impeached before January 2021 at the bargain-basement price of 44 cents on a dollar, meaning you're getting better than even money on something you think is a sure thing. Trump completing his first term- something that can only be stopped by impeachment AND removal, 25th Amendment removal, resignation or death- is a mere 64 cents.

Please think of me when you're all millionaires!

Weebs210 said:
Lol still thinking there's a chance for impeachment. 😂

lod001 said:
Ya got nothin' on Trump. Never had anything, never will.
If these reports about Trump telling Cohen to lie to Congress are true, is that impeachable?

Don't bother with saying "fake news", I'm asking if they are true.

If he did something bounce him, if not he stays and gets voted out in 2020.

If I’m a typical conservative I’d want him out ASAP. Guy is making you look really bad.

The 2020 election would be really weird if Trump were removed from office.  I'm assuming that process would take many months.  Would Republican candidates even have time to establish campaigns and get on the primary ballots?  Would the party just back Pence?

Don Quixote said:
I don't think it is in their best interests (which is why they haven't pushed it too strongly), but, particularly if Mueller's report is pretty damning, this is not a question about the politics and strategy.  It's about the rule of law and the Constitution.  If any Democrat puts 2020 electoral chances above that, they should be thrown to the curb with the lot of them.
Came in to post this almost verbatim.

Especially at this particular dark moment in our country's history, I think that doing the right thing needs to come before anything else. One party has clearly abdicated this duty. If the Dems follow suit, what do we have left?

The 2020 election would be really weird if Trump were removed from office.  I'm assuming that process would take many months.  Would Republican candidates even have time to establish campaigns and get on the primary ballots?  Would the party just back Pence?
At this point I highly doubt Pence comes out of this unscathed. He put Manafort on the campaign.

I haven't always been her biggest fan, but President Pelosi does have a nice ring to it.

Not saying this would happen, but if Trump resigned quickly, and then Pence immediately ended the shutdown and presided over a stable economy and quiet government, he might win. 

If these reports about Trump telling Cohen to lie to Congress are true, is that impeachable?

Yeah I'm not going to play what if games that are based on nonsense. Sorry.

I don't now. Is it? If it is proven and is an impeachable offense, go for it. I don't bother much with this impeachment BS because it's now the SOP for the party out of the WH. The R's did their impeachment **** dance with Obama. The D's did theirs with Bush, The R's did theirs with Clinton.

I don't now. Is it? If it is proven and is an impeachable offense, go for it. I don't bother much with this impeachment BS because it's now the SOP for the party out of the WH. The R's did their impeachment **** dance with Obama. The D's did theirs with Bush, The R's did theirs with Clinton.
What was Obama’s and Bush’s. I have forgotten.

Not saying this would happen, but if Trump resigned quickly, and then Pence immediately ended the shutdown and presided over a stable economy and quiet government, he might win. 
I don’t see Pence appealing to many moderates. The guy has zero charisma, is pretty extreme. 

Wasn't Obama 'lied on birth certificate'  and Bush, lied about WMDs or something?
No one really believed he lied on his birth certificate, well except crazy people. There were no impeachment talks about that IIRC.

Bush was reviled after the 2000 election, his you are with us or against us stuff, and the botched war but I don’t remember serious impeachment talks.

Was a long time ago as well. Maybe I am not remembering.

At this point the opposite party wants to go the impeachment route on the president any chance they get. It will be the same when the next D gets in office. That's one of the reasons I can't understand how anyone can be a member of any political party. They all suck the big one.

No one really believed he lied on his birth certificate, well except crazy people. There were no impeachment talks about that IIRC.

Bush was reviled after the 2000 election, his you are with us or against us stuff, and the botched war but I don’t remember serious impeachment talks.

Was a long time ago as well. Maybe I am not remembering.
This was the Obama one: During Barack Obama's tenure as President of the United States from 2009 to 2017, certain Republican members of Congress, as well as Democratic congressman Dennis Kucinich,[1] stated that Obama had engaged in impeachable activity and that he might face attempts to remove him from office.[2] Rationales offered for possible impeachment included false claims[3] that Obama was born outside the United States, that he allegedly allowed people to use bathrooms based on their gender identity:lmao:  an alleged White House cover-up after the 2012 Benghazi attack, and failure to enforce immigration laws. No list of articles of impeachment was ever drawn up and proposed to the Judiciary Committee.

Bush: Invasion  

lod001 said:
Ya got nothin' on Trump. Never had anything, never will.
Buzzfeed claims to have 2 government sources and emails documenting that Trump suborned perjury and obstructed justice by directing Cohen to lie to Congress. Once that is confirmed by other sources, it is proof that Trump committed a felony or felonies and that is certainly something substantial on him

Buzzfeed claims to have 2 government sources and emails documenting that Trump suborned perjury and obstructed justice by directing Cohen to lie to Congress. Once that is confirmed by other sources, it is proof that Trump committed a felony or felonies and that is certainly something substantial on him
I'm sure they do. 😂

This was the Obama one: During Barack Obama's tenure as President of the United States from 2009 to 2017, certain Republican members of Congress, as well as Democratic congressman Dennis Kucinich,[1] stated that Obama had engaged in impeachable activity and that he might face attempts to remove him from office.[2] Rationales offered for possible impeachment included false claims[3] that Obama was born outside the United States, that he allegedly allowed people to use bathrooms based on their gender identity:lmao:  an alleged White House cover-up after the 2012 Benghazi attack, and failure to enforce immigration laws. No list of articles of impeachment was ever drawn up and proposed to the Judiciary Committee.
Kucinich said that the military strike against Libya was an impeachable offense, since it was done without approval of Congress. He's a stickler for the whole "Congress shall have the power to declare War" thingy.

At this point the opposite party wants to go the impeachment route on the president any chance they get.
If this theory had any basis in reality, the House would have moved to impeach on January 3rd.

Your posts would be much more relevant and readable if they contained less hyperbole and wishcasting.

If this theory had any basis in reality, the House would have moved to impeach on January 3rd.

Your posts would be much more relevant and readable if they contained less hyperbole and wishcasting.
Not at all a theory. More reading comprehension problems I see. Let me spell it out for you. ' the opposite party WANTS TO go the impeachment route'. Does not mean they have anything impeachable. They don't. But they want to badly. Got it? Thanks for playing. Might be a good idea for you to go back to school and take some classes in English.

“I’m gonna get him,” Ms. Waters said, according to a video published by progressive activist and attendee Edward Garren. “I’m in this fight and I’m not gonna move.

“And, as you know, there’s a difference in how some of our leadership talk about how we should handle all of this,” she continued. “They say, ‘Maxine, please don’t say impeachment anymore. ‘And when they say that, I say, ‘Impeachment, impeachment, impeachment, impeachment, impeachment, impeachment, impeachment, impeachment.’”

Not at all a theory. More reading comprehension problems I see. Let me spell it out for you. ' the opposite party WANTS TO go the impeachment route'.
Again, you are working from a reality that does not exist.

You claimed that the "party" wanted to impeach. There is no basis for that. None.

If you see someone with a D next to their name who says the word "impeach", and you think that this means that the "party wants" to impeach, then you are suffering from a cognitive disconnect.

To repeat: the "party" has a chance to impeach right now. This is the condition that you spelled out in your original post.

The party has not impeached.

Therefore, your original post is based on a non-reality.

On the other hand, he told Alisyn Camerota that he has "not personally" seen the evidence he cited in the report. But, he said, “the folks we have talked to — two officials we have spoken to are fully, 100 percent read into that aspect of the Special Counsel’s investigation.”

😂🤣

On the other hand, he told Alisyn Camerota that he has "not personally" seen the evidence he cited in the report. But, he said, “the folks we have talked to — two officials we have spoken to are fully, 100 percent read into that aspect of the Special Counsel’s investigation.”

Yeah I'm not going to play what if games that are based on nonsense. Sorry.

At this point the opposite party wants to go the impeachment route on the president any chance they get. It will be the same when the next D gets in office. That's one of the reasons I can't understand how anyone can be a member of any political party. They all suck the big one.
Except it hasn’t really been true and there are specific reasons for it being discussed with Trump.

Bush: Invasion  
Yes those were not serious and stupid for things that weren’t even impeachable offenses...compared to what is being discussed here.

Yeah I'm the one bringing up BuzzFeed articles written by a guy who hasn't seen the evidence his report is based on as proof why Trump should be impeached... What.
I deleted my posts as I realized it’s worthless trying to reach you.

But my post was about laughing at the notion of someone having sources as well as you other drive by posts offering up zero substance.

Have a nice day.

Users who are viewing this thread