What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

My Mom Died Wednesday (1 Viewer)

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
Sorry for sad news but part of the beauty of this forum is it's a community and we can share real stuff. 

My Mom died last night. 

She had been in poor health for a good while. She'd had two heart attacks over the past ten years.

She went to the hospital Friday with chest pains and had a heart attack Saturday at the hospital.

It had been an up and down thing in the hospital for the past few days. She was better then worse then better then died Wednesday night. 

Monday, she was better, she was off the breathing tube and pretty much all there mentally. We talked and laughed and got to have the "You're a good mom - You're a good son" talk. I started it and I'm not sure why I did but it felt natural and right. 

She felt it too I think as she clearly told me goodbye as I was leaving. She said, "I'll see you on the other side". I said, "How about I see you tomorrow". She was mostly right. 

I'm ok here. Don't worry about me. I don't share this looking for sympathy or anything like that. My Mom had a very strong faith and I don't see this as a tragedy at all.

76 years with a family she saw grow up that she loved dearly and loved her the same way is about as good as it gets. It's the natural progression of life.

My world feels a little different today as you guys who have lost a parent can attest, but it's not unnatural. 

Rock on, Mom. Much love.

Been through it with mom and dad...one with a chance to really say good bye, and the other I didn't get to.

Definitely good you had that time with her this week.

Sorry for your loss...

So sorry to hear this.

I have been told my dad may have less than a year due to heart conditions...that is very hard to deal with, but there is at least hope it can be longer.  I personally don't know how to cope with the passing of a parent, but we are all here for you.

I’m sorry for your loss, Joe. I lost my dad a few years back but we weren’t close so I didn’t feel the pain as much as most. I can’t imagine how you’re feeling but I wish you and your family an easy transition. Death sucks. 

Condolences, Joe.

I'm really happy for you both that you had a lucid time to say "so long". We don't always get that.

My father died 4.5 years ago from dementia. He had been slipping for a few years and I'm guessing he had no idea the last 2 years of his life who the hell I was (other than a rival - he tried to fight me over "that woman who lives here"; my mother).

I never told him I loved him, nor did he ever say that to me. We had a ..... complicated ......relationship (too much alike). But, oh how I wish I had a sit-down with him now to say what we should have said long ago.

Very sorry Joe. Sounds like you had great relationship with her. I can relate. My mom and I were very close.  When she dies I was sad but also happy as there was both left unsaid. 

My father is 81 and I know the time is coming but I try hard not to think about it.  I'm with the others in at least you had what sounds like a good talk with her before she passed.  My condolences.

Been through it with mom and dad...one with a chance to really say good bye, and the other I didn't get to.

Definitely good you had that time with her this week.

Sorry for your loss...
Same here--my mom just a few months ago. Also 76.

I was mentally prepared for her death and knew it was coming sooner rather than later, but it still rocked me pretty hard. Still is....

So sorry for your loss JB.  Use the strength of your family and friends around you to get through this time.

It's funny in I didn't start this post because of this tweet and video from SVP, but it's right in line. A friend pointed me to it just a few minutes ago.

I love:

“I tell them when the grief comes, not to run, not to bury it…because it grows and it gets a whole lot heavier to carry around. I encourage my friends to articulate it, to share it, to say it out loud.”

https://twitter.com/TaylorTwellman/status/1085593934510911488

The Dreaded Marco said:
Same here--my mom just a few months ago. Also 76.

I was mentally prepared for her death and knew it was coming sooner rather than later, but it still rocked me pretty hard. Still is....

So sorry for your loss JB.  Use the strength of your family and friends around you to get through this time.
Oh, Marco, you know you have people here. I remember. So sorry for your loss, too. 

Things are difficult at times. It's those times when we turn to others that we find faith in. 

Sorry for both of your losses and I love you guys. 

-Todd 

I’m sorry for your loss. As others have said already, it’s wonderful that you got to spend some time with her and say good bye. Celebrate her life with your family and other loved ones and lean on each other when needed.

Sorry to hear this and condolences to your family.  It is great to hear that you were able to spend some quality time visiting and talking with her.  

Sorry JB I know it hurts.

Lost my dad at 19 but was young and resilient and even though it hurt I was in college and living my life.

When my mom passed 10 years ago it was a very different feeling as I was a father myself at that time.   The pain still hurts today for me.

Take care of your old man as he will need you more than ever now.

Sorry for your loss, Joe.  Your final moments with her contained laughter and love, and that is a blessing.  Condolences to your family. 

Joe Bryant said:
Sorry for sad news but part of the beauty of this forum is it's a community and we can share real stuff. 

My Mom died last night. 

She had been in poor health for a good while. She'd had two heart attacks over the past ten years.

She went to the hospital Friday with chest pains and had a heart attack Saturday at the hospital.

It had been an up and down thing in the hospital for the past few days. She was better then worse then better then died Wednesday night. 

Monday, she was better, she was off the breathing tube and pretty much all there mentally. We talked and laughed and got to have the "You're a good mom - You're a good son" talk. I started it and I'm not sure why I did but it felt natural and right. 

She felt it too I think as she clearly told me goodbye as I was leaving. She said, "I'll see you on the other side". I said, "How about I see you tomorrow". She was mostly right. 

I'm ok here. Don't worry about me. I don't share this looking for sympathy or anything like that. My Mom had a very strong faith and I don't see this as a tragedy at all.

76 years with a family she saw grow up that she loved dearly and loved her the same way is about as good as it gets. It's the natural progression of life.

My world feels a little different today as you guys who have lost a parent can attest, but it's not unnatural. 

Rock on, Mom. Much love.
Much love x2

Hey buddy. Sorry to hear. That's the part about all of us getting older is people we know and love start to go away. My mom is all I have left, my dad died 8 yrs ago suddenly and unexpectedly at age 65. I know how it feels. Just be glad for her and what she gave to you. I'm sure she's proud of the man you grew up to be

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry for your loss, and condolences to your family.  I'm glad you got to have that last time with her.  My dad passed away with a sudden heart attack when he was 49.  Did not get the chance for those last goodbye's.

Always difficult to lose a parent.  Sorry for your loss...

Glad you got those final days with her.  I had a final day with my Mother and even though she was mostly gone, I cherish that final time I got spend with her.

Joe,  loss of a family member is never easy, but I have felt it is always better to remember the positive memories as this is what carries them on to me.  How you are remembered and the lives you touch is what leaves your mark in this world.  

My father passed away on Christmas day 2013.  At his service, there were over 400 people lined up to pay their respects.  It was so touching to know how many lives he impacted... not just ours.  I am sure your mother had a similar impact on the lives the touched.  

Be strong and move forward.  

Sorry to hear Joe.  Sounds like the two of you had a good relationship and it's good you got to be there with her in the final days, even having what sounds like a positive moment together.

Users who are viewing this thread