Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Just Win Baby

*** Official 2019 Chargers Thread ****

18 hours ago, bicycle_seat_sniffer said:

The Athletic's Vincent Bonsignore reports the Chargers "would listen" if the NFL approached them about relocating to London.

According to Bonsignore, the possibility "has been broached among league personnel" and owners are "concerned enough about the Chargers’ situation in L.A. that they would provide the necessary support for a relocation to London if the Chargers pursue it." Tottenham Hotspur Stadium opened earlier this year with the NFL in mind and hosted two of the four London games this season after the across-the-pond series concluded this past Sunday. It seats over 62,000, and the Chargers are currently playing in a tiny soccer stadium is Carson, Cali. that seats a mere 27,000 where the Chargers are essentially the road team every week as it gets flooded with opposing fans. The Chargers are slated to join the Rams in their new $4.5 billion venue, but L.A. has not embraced the Bolts as it has the Rams. Moving to London would make a whole heck of a lot of sense, as the fans over there have totally embraced the NFL. It would likely require the Chargers switching divisions.

This would require Dean growing Man sized balls. Not happening in his lifetime. Those who have met him would know he is no risk taker. I mean look - he is a squatter in another mans billion dollar playground. No risk all reward. They would have to pay him a LOT of money and pay for everything and even then the answer is: "ummmmmmmmm ....no."

I've said this before, and I'll say it again: the Chargers would be better of in Albuquerque than they would anywhere else, and that includes London!

They had 60 seconds to get 50 yards. I don't think he completed a pass in like 8 attempts. He wasn't even really close to doing so either.

I'm ready to see what comes next, even if it's Craign Whelihans for a while.

Time for a rebuild. Well, can you call it a rebuild for a team that's never won anything?

Tonight is last chance to put season on track.....just don't know if it will be good Phil or bad Phil who shows up......

8 hours ago, DanFouts said:

Tonight is last chance to put season on track.....just don't know if it will be good Phil or bad Phil who shows up......

I'm preparing myself for an epic beatdown.

2 minutes ago, bicycle_seat_sniffer said:

be very charger esque to win this game

True

I still prefer to anticipate the worst.

16 hours ago, Gr00vus said:

I'm preparing myself for an epic beatdown.

It was bad Phil....very bad Phil that showed up.....

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bicycle_seat_sniffer said:

freaking phil...he has lost it.....

Let's look at three Phils: 2019 Phil, average Phil, and all-time worst Phil...

Completion percentage
2019: 64.4
Average: 64.5
Worst: 60.4 (2016)

TD %
2019: 3.6
Average: 5.2
Worst: 3.6 (2019)

INT %
2019: 3.4
Average: 2.6
Worst: 3.4 (2011/2019)

Adj. yds/att.
2019: 6.8
Average: 7.7
Worst: 6.3 (2007)

Passer Rating
2019: 85.5
Average: 95.0
Worst: 82.4 (2007)

Not to suggest that these numbers tell the whole story, but other than completion percentage this year's Phil looks a lot closer to the all-time worst version than the average one.

12 hours ago, DanFouts said:

It was bad Phil....very bad Phil that showed up.....

He wasn't alone in disappointing play last night, but he was the leader in the clubhouse.

How much longer for Lynn - rest of season?

4 hours ago, Gr00vus said:

He wasn't alone in disappointing play last night, but he was the leader in the clubhouse.

How much longer for Lynn - rest of season?

I think it's Phil's last year...:(

And Lynn will get his hand with new QB next year in make/break season for him....

They have lots of other young talent on both sides, but either need more Oline, or mobile QB that can cover up for lack of O line....

8 hours ago, DanFouts said:

And Lynn will get his hand with new QB next year in make/break season for him....

They have lots of other young talent on both sides, but either need more Oline, or mobile QB that can cover up for lack of O line....

this franchise is about to enter a dark phase, I don't trust em to get the next QB right, I suspect if Phil is gone, they play Tyrod next year while drafting someone. 

Also I expect a nasty hold out with Joey Bosa soon.

And with the whole no home field thing, its just depressing to be a bolt fan, we are a long way from the playoff pistol whipping of Lamar Jackson.....

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, DanFouts said:

I feel more comfortable betting Rivers will be there in 2020 than Lynn. Typically when a coordinator gets fired, its a sign the HC is on his last legs. I'm I were putting odds on it, I'd say:

70-30 Rivers is the QB next year, though that decreases with every 4 turnover game.

40-60 Lynn is the HC, which decreases with every loss.

48 minutes ago, bicycle_seat_sniffer said:

Fire Lynn? I don't see that happening, 

He's signed through next season. Ugh.

50 minutes ago, bicycle_seat_sniffer said:

I think he should be fired but agree he probably won't be. Ownership generally does not like to fire coaches when they still owe them money.

8 hours ago, bicycle_seat_sniffer said:

this franchise is about to enter a dark phase

The last ten years have produced:
* One season of double-digit victories
* Two playoff berths
* Zero postseason victories
* Zero division titles

... And NOW it's about to enter a dark phase? Well, this ought to be fun.

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1

5 hours ago, bicycle_seat_sniffer said:

I don't either. Heading into this season, he was considered one of the bright, young minds - the guy who took a team that had won a total of nine games in its two previous seasons and guided them to twenty-one wins in his first two seasons. 

Now, I'm not arguing that he SHOULD keep his job, I just doubt he'll be shown the door.

At the start of the season I had a notion that this team might make some sort of playoff run. Turns out, they're the worst team in the division, probably with the most bleak future too. :kicksrock:

After this many close losses, don't we need to start pointing the finger at leadership? Getting rid of Whisenhunt doesn't seem to have been the cure all.

On 12/2/2019 at 7:03 PM, Gr00vus said:

After this many close losses, don't we need to start pointing the finger at leadership? Getting rid of Whisenhunt doesn't seem to have been the cure all.

Here's each season's W/L record in one-possession games over the past twenty years:
2019: 2-7 (Lynn)
2018: 6-1 (Lynn)
2017: 3-5 (Lynn)
2016: 4-9 (McCoy)
2015: 2-10 (McCoy)
2014: 5-2 (McCoy)
2013: 4-6 (McCoy)
2012: 2-5 (Turner)
2011: 3-5 (Turner)
2010: 2-5 (Turner)
2009: 8-1 (Turner)
2008: 2-8 (Turner)
2007: 2-2 (Turner)
2006: 4-3 (Schottenheimer)
2005: 4-5 (Schottenheimer)
2004: 6-3 (Schottenheimer)
2003: 3-5 (Schottenheimer)
2002: 5-4 (Schottenheimer)
2001: 1-8 (Riley)
2000: 1-7 (Riley)

I don't mean to come off as the Anthony Lynn apologist, but losing close games is simply this franchise's signature move.

Edited by Despyzer
Went back 10 more seasons to include some "glory years."
  • Thinking 1

On 12/2/2019 at 7:03 PM, Gr00vus said:

point the finger at phil and his lack of mobility and awful decision making....not sure what happened to him after that great season he had last year

23 minutes ago, Maurile Tremblay said:

the marlon mcree blunder was awful....that was their best chance to win it all.....hiring norv was just awful 

• Like 2

Cool, let's ruin our draft pick position now that the season's dead. ;)

Of course you can't really assume too much from a win against the Jaguars, but it's just like the Chargers to remember how to play football after being mathematically eliminated.

• Like 1

I'd like to put off drafting a QB for another year. The Chargers need to draft about five offensive linemen first. Next year can be some combination of Rivers, Taylor, and Stick at QB. If that works out, great. If it doesn't work out, they should have a good pick in 2021 to use on a QB.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Maurile Tremblay said:

I'd like to put off drafting a QB for another year. The Chargers need to draft about five offensive linemen first. Next year can be some combination of Rivers, Taylor, and Stick at QB. If that works out, great. If it doesn't work out, they should have a good pick in 2021 to use on a QB.

What you say makes sense if you have any faith in Telesco and his staff evaluating offensive linemen. They really haven't invested much draft capital at that position at all, but they've screwed the pooch with virtually every selection.

2013 - Fluker looked like he was at least a quality starter at the beginning of his career, and I credit Telesco for getting rid of him when they did, but it would be hard to argue he was worth the 11th overall pick.

2014 - 3rd-rounder Chris Watt could only muster eight starts in two years and is out of the league.

2016 - 3rd-rounder Max Turk only played in one game in his entire career and is out of the league.

2017 - 2nd-rounder Forrest Lamp has been too injured to start any more than two games in three years.
            3rd-rounder Dan Feeney has managed to start 38 games, so that's something.

2019 - It's too early to evaluate 3rd-rounder Trey Pipkins, but so far he has only started one game, and it's not like the competition is fierce.

Former Chargers OC Joe Gibbs once said that the quarterback position is so important that a team ought to draft one every year.

5 hours ago, ShamrockPride said:

@Just Win Baby when you get a chance would be interested in your opinion on the (for now) purely hypothetical of Cam leading LAC.

I can't imagine JWB liking that plan in any way.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ShamrockPride said:

@Just Win Baby when you get a chance would be interested in your opinion on the (for now) purely hypothetical of Cam leading LAC.

I think it is a terrible idea, but, in fairness, I have never been a fan of Newton's QB play.

Throughout his career, Newton's value has been tied more to his running ability than to his passing ability. But he is coming off a Lisfranc injury and a shoulder injury before that. It is questionable how much he can be counted on to stay healthy going forward, much less deliver great running value.

Newton is not an accurate passer. I would expect using him at QB would diminish the effectiveness of the Chargers' best WR, Allen. Maybe Ekeler, too.

Newton is under contract for $20M next year, not exactly the same level bargain as a draft pick QB. Plus, Carolina wants to trade him, meaning the team that acquires him has to give up something valuable. IMO the Chargers have too many issues to give up valuable draft capital. 

So I don't really see much to like, other than that he is a QB more in the mold of what Lynn apparently prefers.

I think the Chargers should sign Rivers for 2 more seasons. But, even if he decides to retire or the team decides to move on, I think trading for Newton is one of the worst possible alternatives.

Heck, all things considered (quality of play, health, contract value, trade capital), the Chargers would be better off starting Tyrod if RIvers isn’t back.

:2cents: 

Edited by Just Win Baby
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Maurile Tremblay said:

I think that's o.k. as long as you stay flexible enough to take a Lamar Jackson or Aaron Rogers if they fall into your lap. Not saying it's likely, but if an opportunity like that comes along you need to take it. That also is dependent on having a scouting staff who can accurately identify opportunities like that.

Edited by Gr00vus