What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Smiley Face Killers (1 Viewer)

"Historically,  one  "Happy  Face"  killer  did  exist.  Starting  in  1992,  serial  killer  Keith Jesperson  of  Wyoming  sent  anonymous  letters  to  news  reporters  signed  with  a  handdrawn smiley.  However,  not  only  were  his  victims  female,  none  of  them  were  drowned  (Associated Press,  1997).  His  use  of  a  smiley  appears  eerily  similar  to  the  Watchmen  comic  book  series  from 19861987  that  included  smiley  faces  dripping  with  blood  to  symbolize  the  death  of  innocence. However,  again,  none  of  the  murders  were  drownings,  and  the  comic's  use  of  vaporization  as  a means  of  death  (Watchmen,  2010)  is  not  a  common  serial  killer  signature. "

🤣

I remember this vaguely from here.  A lot of copy cat "smiley faces" started being spray painted on guard rails around this part of the country during the last peak of this story.   

Don’t these always happen with drunk guys in freezing cold weather?

can easily see drunk guys trying to cross “frozen” rivers in winter and then falling in.

can easily see drunk guys trying to cross “frozen” rivers in winter and then falling in.
is there a smiley face component to these? 

I'll admit I didn't click the link or have any idea what's going on here- but I assumed something to do with smiley faces.

I'll admit I didn't click the link or have any idea what's going on here- but I assumed something to do with smiley faces.
from what i've heard there is smiley face graffiti basically everywhere graffiti is.  River banks usually have a lot of graffiti. 

pretty much the idea is that there's a guy/group of people going around the country murdering college-aged boys, then dumping them in rivers and marking their work by tagging a smiley face nearby

pretty much the idea is that there's a guy/group of people going around the country murdering college-aged boys, then dumping them in rivers and marking their work by tagging a smiley face nearby
that further explains iluvbeer's comment completely. 

Most of the times the rivers aren't frozen, just really cold, so it's not like a case where you'd try to take a short cut over some ice.  Like this first episode the guy would've had to cross a major road, navigate a bunch of concrete steps only to "fall" in afterwards because he went down to take a leak. Nevermind that he had clear ligature marks around his neck the ME ignored.

I don't believe necessarily there is a gang called going around and killing these guys and painting smiley faces around but many of these are suspicious.  Yeah some probably kids being drunk and stupid but many like this first episode it seems like they are all getting written off as such when in many instances there is something far more sinister going on.

It's also strange to me no one witnesses these kids walking into the water, or falling in or yelling for help until they go under.  The more you read about it online it's definitely creepy and seems like there is more to a lot of the stories.  I grew up in a town in western WI where a couple of these happened in the early 2000's.  I went to college in that town too and during my entire childhood plus my high school and college years of getting drunk and partying in the same area was there not one drowning and suddenly there is a handful in a 3 year period.  Somethings off to me. 

ILUVBEER99 said:

I don't recall the news stories I've seen to be associated with frozen water.  

A detail only the killer would know. I know you are just trying to throw everyone off your trail, the 48k posts is a nice touch. No one's going to think that you'd have the time to commit these crimes, even over the course of a decade plus.

Last edited by a moderator:
Should have said freezing water.  Taking a piss on edge of river and falling in doesn't really seem that unbelievable.  Especially one like the milwaukee river which is right around tons of bars with fairly high walls.  Once you're in GL climbing out when drunk and in sub 30 degree water.

There has 100% been people killed and thrown in rivers in the past.

But it's not some coordinated killers who paint smiley faces all over.

On these shows they take a case where the kid probably was killed and tossed in river.  Doesn't mean all the other drownings are connected.

There has 100% been people killed and thrown in rivers in the past.

But it's not some coordinated killers who paint smiley faces all over.

On these shows they take a case where the kid probably was killed and tossed in river.  Doesn't mean all the other drownings are connected.
*pan to un-staged scene of retired detective casually striking up a conversation with a bartender*

It's also strange to me no one witnesses these kids walking into the water, or falling in or yelling for help until they go under.  The more you read about it online it's definitely creepy and seems like there is more to a lot of the stories.  I grew up in a town in western WI where a couple of these happened in the early 2000's.  I went to college in that town too and during my entire childhood plus my high school and college years of getting drunk and partying in the same area was there not one drowning and suddenly there is a handful in a 3 year period.  Somethings off to me. 
UWL grad?

My wife knew one of the "victims" from La Crosse so of course we are recording this in case he's mentioned. It sounds like some of those will be explored in the series. Not sure either of us buy the grand nationwide conspiracy theory but I guess we're watching

UWL grad?

My wife knew one of the "victims" from La Crosse so of course we are recording this in case he's mentioned. It sounds like some of those will be explored in the series. Not sure either of us buy the grand nationwide conspiracy theory but I guess we're watching
Eau Claire

Eau Claire
i once passed out on a couch in Eau Claire. had to be 5 AM. woke up when i heard a marching band going down the street. homecoming weekend. it was before 9. turned out the previous night's party and had ####### obliterated the couch and i was laying on the shattered bones of the couch's remains. no recollection of how it happened but have been told i was at least partly responsible.

watched a guy stage dive off a garage roof......... straight to the ground. at 10 AM. i was already ####housed.

first and last time i've ever been there. not sure i could survive going back.

I went down this rabbit hole several years ago when a close friend of my brother died in similar circumstances. He left friends at a bar to walk home, had been drinking but people say was not super drunk, and was fished out of a river a couple of days later. Comments on an article about his death mentioned the SFK so I read up on it. Didn't seem to be much to it at the time.

Eau Claire

i once passed out on a couch in Eau Claire. had to be 5 AM. woke up when i heard a marching band going down the street. homecoming weekend. it was before 9. turned out the previous night's party and had ####### obliterated the couch and i was laying on the shattered bones of the couch's remains. no recollection of how it happened but have been told i was at least partly responsible.

watched a guy stage dive off a garage roof......... straight to the ground. at 10 AM. i was already ####housed.

first and last time i've ever been there. not sure i could survive going back.
:lmao:   :lmao:   Yeah I remember UWEC freshman year being warned about the river and the bridge specifically that separates campus from main st and not getting ####-faced and falling in.  EC Homecoming stood in direct opposition to that warning.  At least until they changed the stadium parking lot game day mayhem into some sort of cordoned off area that you needed a ticket to (I think.)  Ruined everything  :sadbanana:

Users who are viewing this thread