What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Joe Was Right (1 Viewer)

jwb

Footballguy
I know over the years the FBG boards have gone directly against what's become "normal" online. It's a board of adults that's PG-rated, and the mods generally come down fast and hard on any real unpleasantness and general online snark.  You see that exactly nowhere else. Joe has  a definite vision for this place, and he's not shy about saying "this is how I want it, right or wrong".

I've complained once or twice myself, but you know, he was/is right. Even without the yoga pants thread, this is a place I like coming to everyday, because it's the one place online without the general unpleasantness you find almost everywhere else. I got to thinking about this after he posted about his mother dying. This is a great place with some great people, and I'm happy to be a part of it. Rock on, Joe. 

The problem is that the moderating style doesn’t seem to fit the demographic of the forum users. You can see proof of this with several prominent posters no longer here because of the heavy handed moderating and also with the dwindling active user counts. 

I really didn't mean for this to turn into a good/bad moderation thread. I like it here, and the vibe that Joe has shaped is part of the reason why. No more than that (although maybe that is fuel for good/bad moderation).

That said, if you guys complaining don't like the rules, why do you stay?

I dunno man. I've seen tons of online bullying in these forums no different than anywhere else. Banning bad words or talking about women's looks hasn't really changed that imo. Not singling anybody out. 99% of the members are amazing people. Most of the riff raff is at least in the Political forum now which I don't go in. 

It's a board of adults that's PG-rated, and the mods generally come down fast and hard on any real unpleasantness and general online snark.  You see that exactly nowhere else.
The Early Retirement boards rigidly enforce adult behavior much moreso than even this place.  FBG and ER are the only two sites I can use the word "adult" to describe.

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem is that the moderating style doesn’t seem to fit the demographic of the forum users. You can see proof of this with several prominent posters no longer here because of the heavy handed moderating and also with the dwindling active user counts. 
The active user count method changed with the board upgrade and again with some other tweaks.  It used to count basically anyone that showed up within prior several hours.  Now it wipes you inside of like 30 minutes.  

The last thread on the front page had its last post 8 hours ago.  A year ago nothing on the front page ever got past an hour old.

The traffic on this site is dying.  Whether or not you personally think that Joe was right doesn't change the fact that the majority of posters that used to post here disagree.  Now, it's his site and he can do what he wants, but this place used to feel like the 19th hole or the local dive bar.  It's what brought us all here 18 years ago and kept us here over the years.  Now it feels like a bible study or a book club.  There's a reason people are leaving and it's because it's just not the same community feel that it used to have.

The last thread on the front page had its last post 8 hours ago.  A year ago nothing on the front page ever got past an hour old.

The traffic on this site is dying.  Whether or not you personally think that Joe was right doesn't change the fact that the majority of posters that used to post here disagree.  Now, it's his site and he can do what he wants, but this place used to feel like the 19th hole or the local dive bar.  It's what brought us all here 18 years ago and kept us here over the years.  Now it feels like a bible study or a book club.  There's a reason people are leaving and it's because it's just not the same community feel that it used to have.
front page was 25 topics a year ago. Now 50

I am sure you are correct, to a degree, but it a,so has a lot to do with product life cycle (for lack of better wording).  This place ascended and thrived during a period when the Net was coming up white hot and in the last decade and a half this base of forum users have aged.  

I mean, think about it: we have people here taking about how long time, prom ent posters aren't as active now.  Well, a lot of that could be that these people have aged 15 years and they have went from fervent ff college-aged kid to "guy with a wife and kids and mortgage and pushing down the back half of a career". It's a lot more going on than the notion that regulation of the boards changed everyone at once.  

I,myself, am a prime example.  Seven or eight years ago,I lived on these boards, played multiple ff leagues, knew lots of people here. But I've lived a lot of life in the last decade and although I absolutely love checking in, especially,,y during NFL p,ayoffs, it's just not on the top of the list a y ore.  But it has nothing to do with the fact that my opinions or. Luth might be offensive to anyone.  

I know over the years the FBG boards have gone directly against what's become "normal" online. It's a board of adults that's PG-rated, and the mods generally come down fast and hard on any real unpleasantness and general online snark.  You see that exactly nowhere else. Joe has  a definite vision for this place, and he's not shy about saying "this is how I want it, right or wrong".

I've complained once or twice myself, but you know, he was/is right. Even without the yoga pants thread, this is a place I like coming to everyday, because it's the one place online without the general unpleasantness you find almost everywhere else. I got to thinking about this after he posted about his mother dying. This is a great place with some great people, and I'm happy to be a part of it. Rock on, Joe. 
You are correct about everything but the yoga pants thread. 

I never understood this fascination with the yoga pants thread. I mean, if you want to look at pictures of attractive women in yoga pants, you have plenty of options.

My secondary board is much more stringently moderated than this one. They herd all the personal attacks into one forum, which is specifically designated for it. Get personal in any other forum and you're gone. Big difference, however, is that they don't care about the language. Adults should be able to launch f-bombs in conversations and debates.

I dunno man. I've seen tons of online bullying in these forums no different than anywhere else. Banning bad words or talking about women's looks hasn't really changed that imo. Not singling anybody out. 99% of the members are amazing people. Most of the riff raff is at least in the Political forum now which I don't go in. 
And the moderation is highly biased here, particularly in the PSF.  It would be a good place for putting out thoughts, but is now an echo chamber due to moderation issues creating said echo chamber.

And the moderation is highly biased here, particularly in the PSF.  It would be a good place for putting out thoughts, but is now an echo chamber due to moderation issues creating said echo chamber.
I honestly think they have recently surrendered policing the PSF. The personal attacks, name calling and generalized inflammatory comments about a group of people are worse then ever.  

I honestly think they have recently surrendered policing the PSF. The personal attacks, name calling and generalized inflammatory comments about a people are worse then ever.  
I just got popped the other day for a post in there calling a person’s opinion stupid. not the person himself, just the opinion. So they’re still doing a ####ty job at moderating it. 

I am sure you are correct, to a degree, but it a,so has a lot to do with product life cycle (for lack of better wording).  This place ascended and thrived during a period when the Net was coming up white hot and in the last decade and a half this base of forum users have aged.  

I mean, think about it: we have people here taking about how long time, prom ent posters aren't as active now.  Well, a lot of that could be that these people have aged 15 years and they have went from fervent ff college-aged kid to "guy with a wife and kids and mortgage and pushing down the back half of a career". It's a lot more going on than the notion that regulation of the boards changed everyone at once.  

I,myself, am a prime example.  Seven or eight years ago,I lived on these boards, played multiple ff leagues, knew lots of people here. But I've lived a lot of life in the last decade and although I absolutely love checking in, especially,,y during NFL p,ayoffs, it's just not on the top of the list a y ore.  But it has nothing to do with the fact that my opinions or. Luth might be offensive to anyone.  
Well we’ve had several who have pretty much said “Goodbye I’ve had enough”. 

Some people like quality over quantity. Joe has decided that he's okay with less people. As long as they are the people he wants.

Not a visitor of the politics forum, eh?

I honestly think they have recently surrendered policing the PSF. The personal attacks, name calling and generalized inflammatory comments about a group of people are worse then ever.  
cool.   so we can now read just how tolerant everyone is about discerning opinions?  love it.

agreed...

so where did they all go??

I don’t know one way or the other if Joe was ‘right’...but as Founder & CEO, he does have the prerogative.  For us, this is a message board...a community.  For him, I suspect FBG is at least one of the ways he puts food on the table.  At the same time, I’m sure he wants his business ventures to espouse an environment and community that he wants to be a reflection of what’s important to him value wise.  The stakes for him I suspect are higher.  I’d imagine he’s weighed the pros/cons of the calls he’s made with regard to board policy.  And I suspect there were lots of each.

If he’s lost customers, then he’s lost customers.  But the boards (all MB’s) are a dying medium.  The influx of twenty-something’s is likely non-existent.  I remember the ‘Television Without Pity’ boards.  Once upon a time, they were thriving.  They cease to exist today.

So if you sense that the community you’ve fostered for two plus decades has an end date...then he’s earned the right to make the call as to how he wants it to wind down.  Maybe it winds down in two years...maybe (less likely) twenty.  Who knows.  But I won’t Monday Morning QB his call.

No, they're still around, and they're still going strong. The "Television Without Pity" brand was sold to BravoTV. They turned a profitable website into a wasteland. I don't know how much the boards had to do with that... I think focusing too much on their own brands in the reviews and commentary hurt them. The boards were an important part of that site. So important, in fact, that when BravoTV had to shutter the website, they archived the entire site, both the articles on television commentary, and the forums where the viewers gathered, to preserve a crucial part of television history and the work of some notable television critics.

The original TWoP owners took the BravoTV money and opened Previously.TV, which has both reviews and forums. The forums are so large they're undergoing a massive reconstruction right now, just to handle the bandwidth. I don't see a way to view the total number of posters, but, I wouldn't be surprised if it was in the tens of thousands of active participants.

Edit: I count about 39,900 new registered members since August 2013, five and a half years. They've had 6200 new signups in the last 12 months. (The FBG boards have added 1500 in that same time span)
How about that...I didn’t know.  I remember one day some years ago, I went to that site and it had been shuttered.

I don’t know one way or the other if Joe was ‘right’...but as Founder & CEO, he does have the prerogative.  For us, this is a message board...a community.  For him, I suspect FBG is at least one of the ways he puts food on the table.  At the same time, I’m sure he wants his business ventures to espouse an environment and community that he wants to be a reflection of what’s important to him value wise.  The stakes for him I suspect are higher.  I’d imagine he’s weighed the pros/cons of the calls he’s made with regard to board policy.  And I suspect there were lots of each.

If he’s lost customers, then he’s lost customers.  But the boards (all MB’s) are a dying medium.  The influx of twenty-something’s is likely non-existent.  I remember the ‘Television Without Pity’ boards.  Once upon a time, they were thriving.  They cease to exist today.

So if you sense that the community you’ve fostered for two plus decades has an end date...then he’s earned the right to make the call as to how he wants it to wind down.  Maybe it winds down in two years...maybe (less likely) twenty.  Who knows.  But I won’t Monday Morning QB his call.
I dunno. The sports video game forums Operation Sports are still going strong. I bet there are a bunch of younger people in those forums.

I dunno. The sports video game forums Operation Sports are still going strong. I bet there are a bunch of younger people in those forums.
I quit using that site years ago. You think here is bad on the censorship, yikes...go over there. They shut down and delete any conversation/posts that are critical in any way of sports games, Madden is especially protected. They don't even give you a warning, they just ban your account on first offense. You go into old threads there, like years old, and you'll see banned accounts of less than 10 posts all over the place. The point of that site is just to stroke sports game developer egos. These were my experiences at least, probably 10ish years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread