What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What’s wrong with Todd Gurley (1 Viewer)

I don't know my ear from my elbow, so take that into account, but there was a play in the game vs. the Chiefs where Gurley went out of bounds awkwardly and looked like he took a helmet to the knee. He wasn't involved for a while in that game after that play, and his stats seemed to suffer after that. He had a good game a few weeks later, and looked ok last week though so who knows. I think he's dealing with some type of injury though.

Mark Football said:
He's injured. We'll hear about it after the season. 
Next Gen Stats‏Verified account @NextGenStats

Follow Follow @NextGenStats

More

Todd Gurley didn't seem bothered by his knee injury today. @TG3II averaged 12.08 MPH at the line of scrimmage on his rushes, his fastest in a game this season. He had 6 carries reaching 15+ MPH, a season high. #RamsHouse #DALvsLAR

When the Rams knew where the Cowboys would move on defense and opened up massive holes for him to run through, he's healthy and fine.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/cowboys-tipped-90-percent-of-their-defensive-plays-to-rams-with-obvious-tips-and-tells/

When Gurley struggles and is outperformed by an out of shape RB, there must be an excuse.  

In total, Anderson has outperformed Gurley in their four common matchups.  How about people start realizing Gurley is simply an average back blessed with an amazing offensive scheme and OL?  

Your Gurley obsession is odd, not sure what he cost or did to you but for the love of god give it a rest already.
:lmao: why are people so obsessed with making excuses for this guy?  Talk about odd obsession.  He started the game with two carries for negative two yards and had two very costly dropped passes.  How about people use some common sense and consider the idea he was benched for choking in a must win game?   

Last edited by a moderator:
:lmao: why are people so obsessed with making excuses for this guy?  Talk about odd obsession.  He started the game with two carries for negative two yards and had two very costly dropped passes.  How about people use some common sense and consider the idea he was benched for choking in a must win game?   
I gotta blame it all on the OL and play calling. I mean, they were able to block for this low end ham & egger all year and now they can't get the job done.

Let's theorize he's injured despite the organization saying otherwise.  Excuses, excuses, excuses.

Sean McVay says Todd Gurley’s lack of use a game flow issue

During the game, Fox said the Rams told the network there was “nothing physically wrong” with Gurley. Fox asked because everyone was stunned that Gurley was sitting. Gurley had two big drops early, one that led to a Saints interception, but he’s still one of the Rams’ best players.

McVay continued to say after the game that Anderson’s usage, and Gurley’s lack of snaps, was simply a coaching decision.

“It was a flow for the game,” McVay said.

I gotta blame it all on the OL and play calling. I mean, they were able to block for this low end ham & egger all year and now they can't get the job done.
That's all it is.  It's so hard for people to accept it's the OL and system, not the RB.  If the OL dominates, the RB dominates too.  If the OL struggles, the RBs struggle too.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/01/19/rams-may-have-the-best-run-blocking-offensive-line-ever/

If that sounds like hyperbole, consider the Football Outsiders stat Adjusted Line Yards, which takes all running back carries and assigns responsibility to the offensive line. The stat magnifies plays when the running back gets tackled for a loss, as that’s usually the result of a blocking breakdown. And the stat treats any gain longer than 10 yards as if it were only a 10-yard gain, as anything beyond 10 yards usually isn’t the result of an offensive lineman’s block. By Adjusted Line Yards, the 2018 Rams set a new NFL record, with 5.49 adjusted line yards per carry.

Whether it’s Anderson stepping in from off the street and averaging 7.0 yards per carry, Gurley averaging 4.9 yards per carry, or Gurley’s backup Malcolm Brown averaging 4.9 yards per carry before he was injured late in the season, the Rams can run effectively with anyone carrying the ball. Enjoy watching Andrew Whitworth, Rob Havenstein, Rodger Saffold, Austin Blythe and John Sullivan block on Sunday. You may never see a better run-blocking offensive line

Here are excerpts from an article wrote last week from The Athletic. Those of you who are not personally damaged by Gurley in some way and have a working mind can determine for yourselves if you think the playing time is solely a coaching decision or might just have had something to do with Gurley not feeling able to carry a large load.

“Whatever Todd wanted to do, we were gonna ride with anyway,” Anderson said. “If Todd wanted to play 90 percent of the snaps, we were gonna let the man be the man. That’s why he’s one of the best running backs in the league.”

The respect between the two running backs is obvious. At various times during the course of Saturday’s game, Gurley stepped off the sideline and onto the field to replace Anderson only for Anderson to wave him off saying he wanted to remain in the game. Conversely, Gurley would signal to Anderson to indicate he felt he was rolling and wanted to stay on the field as a result.

Each player respected the other’s wishes. The result was a fresh running back tandem that kept the Cowboys defense off-balance all night.

The meniscus tear makes sense to me.  As some one who has had 3 knee surgeries due to meniscus tears you can be normal at times but the general weakness in the knee destroys your confidence in it.  I snowboard a 100 days, a full season, on a badly torn right right knee. I could ride normal for a while but would often have to cut my day short as it would get weak.  I’m not saying he has one for sure but it makes sense to me.   

Here are excerpts from an article wrote last week from The Athletic. Those of you who are not personally damaged by Gurley in some way and have a working mind can determine for yourselves if you think the playing time is solely a coaching decision or might just have had something to do with Gurley not feeling able to carry a large load.

“Whatever Todd wanted to do, we were gonna ride with anyway,” Anderson said. “If Todd wanted to play 90 percent of the snaps, we were gonna let the man be the man. That’s why he’s one of the best running backs in the league.”

The respect between the two running backs is obvious. At various times during the course of Saturday’s game, Gurley stepped off the sideline and onto the field to replace Anderson only for Anderson to wave him off saying he wanted to remain in the game. Conversely, Gurley would signal to Anderson to indicate he felt he was rolling and wanted to stay on the field as a result.

Each player respected the other’s wishes. The result was a fresh running back tandem that kept the Cowboys defense off-balance all night.
I'm glad you agree that an out of shape RB cut by two terrible teams this year is as good as Gurley in the same system.  👍

I'm glad you agree that an out of shape RB cut by two terrible teams this year is as good as Gurley in the same system.  👍
Anderson is playing for his life. Once he gets the $ he will go back to being the slug that he is. He's fooling some team right now who thinks wow this guy is great. When you can't make the Raiders, you suck. btw, I was making a joke on that earlier post. Anderson is a bum. Gurley is way better and most obviously injured. It will only come out after the season. They are denying it for some reason but it's plainly obvious that he's hurt or he would be doing the same thing he's done all year up until the game vs the Eagles where he got hurt.

Gurley injured his left knee in the Rams' loss to the Philadelphia Eagles on Dec. 16. Rams coach Sean McVay told reporters on Thursday that Gurley felt similar discomfort in his knee after the Rams' win over the Raiders in Week 1. 

The superstar running back told the media in Los Angeles on Thursday he got over that injury after a couple of days, but his current knee injury has lingered. He said he could not identify one particular play as its cause.

"Came back on the sidelines [against the Eagles] and just you can tell when something doesn't feel right, you know your body," Gurley said (via ESPN). "Obviously, kind of went back in the game and played. Did what I could do and then just kind of dealt with the consequences the next day."

The meniscus tear makes sense to me.  As some one who has had 3 knee surgeries due to meniscus tears you can be normal at times but the general weakness in the knee destroys your confidence in it.  I snowboard a 100 days, a full season, on a badly torn right right knee. I could ride normal for a while but would often have to cut my day short as it would get weak.  I’m not saying he has one for sure but it makes sense to me.   
Knowing a player's body better than he does is definitely a new one.  

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/389969/gurley-says-hes-healthy-just-played-sorry?ls=roto:NFL:topheadlines

Todd Gurley said he is healthy despite playing just 32-of-69 snaps in the Rams' NFC Championship win over the Saints.

Gurley missed the final two games of the regular season with a left knee injury, but he did not blame that issue for his limited playing time. "I was sorry as hell today," Gurley said. "I was sorry. So, C.J. [Anderson] did his thing and the whole team did its thing." To his point, Gurley dropped two passes including one which resulted in an interception, missed a blitz pickup, and did little on the ground outside of a six-yard touchdown. 

Anderson is playing for his life. Once he gets the $ he will go back to being the slug that he is. He's fooling some team right now who thinks wow this guy is great. When you can't make the Raiders, you suck. btw, I was making a joke on that earlier post. Anderson is a bum. Gurley is way better and most obviously injured. It will only come out after the season. They are denying it for some reason but it's plainly obvious that he's hurt or he would be doing the same thing he's done all year up until the game vs the Eagles where he got hurt.
Anderson has a higher ypc than the games people say Gurley was healthy.  The injury excuse doesn't work. 

Anderson has a higher ypc than the games people say Gurley was healthy.  The injury excuse doesn't work. 
I wont deny the guy is busting his ### but he's doing it for a contract next year. He's not a better player. He's running hard now. He wont after he pockets that $.

I find it hard to believe you guys are having this discussion.  I have no bias for or against Gurley.  I have no bias for or against Anderson.  Gurley is an elite back with fantastic vision, speed and strength.  He's also an exceptional receiver out of the backfield, notwithstanding what we saw yesterday.  When healthy, he makes everyone on offense better because of what he does.  Anderson is a nice back.  I liked him in Denver and was always surprised he was never able to fully take over the lead rb spot there.  He is an able receiver and IMO, a pretty solid back when healthy and in shape. 

I just don't see any reasonable comparison between the two.  Watching the game yesterday, it was clear he is hurt, or at least, not right.  His dropped passes were crazy and whatever is bothering him physically, to me, clearly is effecting him as a whole. 

There is no conversation here.  Gurley is an elite talent and clearly hurt.  Anderson is a good back but would never be in a championship game if Gurley was healthy, no matter how many balls he dropped in the first half.  Just my two cents

Gurley is an elite back with fantastic vision, speed and strength.  He's also an exceptional receiver out of the backfield, notwithstanding what we saw yesterday.  When healthy, he makes everyone on offense better because of what he does.  
What happened to Gurley in 2016?

It's not a you guys discussion, it's just one guy.
CJ Anderson outside of McVay's system:  4.4ypc

Todd Gurley outside of McVay's system: 3.93 ypc

CJ Anderson in McVay's system: 5.68ypc

Todd Gurley in McVay's system: 4.78ypc

What excuse can you come up for that one?

Notice how my argument is based on numbers, facts, quotes from experts, quotes from McVay and Gurley himself and the support of Gurley is based on wild speculation and eye tests.  That's hilarious someone would even admit that.

Lindsey Thiry‏Verified account @LindseyThiry

Follow Follow @LindseyThiry

More

Todd Gurley to @JosinaAnderson: "I didn't play good. I didn't deserve to be in there. CJ was in there. He did his thing. Everybody held me down. We all held each other, and we just got it done. We just got it done. Thank you Lord. Thank you."

5:20 PM - 20 Jan 2019

🤔

my guess would be some kind of meniscus tear or he's going to need a clean-up procedure
I love the "clean up procedure" 

Those 2 surgeries are essentially the same thing. maybe chondroplasty.

I sometimes wonder what the average Joe thinks they are actually "cleaning up" when they say "clean up procedure." it's a joke they even call it that

What happened to Gurley in 2016?
The 2016 rams were a mess.  4-12.  Goff looked like a deer in the headlights in his rookie campaign.  When an entire team is in the crapper on offense, it's hard to judge any one player by his stats for that year.  Team was a dumpster fire.  They got rid of Fischer, brought in McVay and got a fresh start. 

It's clear to me that you have an agenda and are just arguing for the sake of arguing.  If you seriously believe Anderson is as good a back or a better back than Hurley, then let's just say we agree to disagree and move along.  It's an argument not worth having. 

I find it hard to believe you guys are having this discussion.  I have no bias for or against Gurley.  I have no bias for or against Anderson.  Gurley is an elite back with fantastic vision, speed and strength.  He's also an exceptional receiver out of the backfield, notwithstanding what we saw yesterday.  When healthy, he makes everyone on offense better because of what he does.  Anderson is a nice back.  I liked him in Denver and was always surprised he was never able to fully take over the lead rb spot there.  He is an able receiver and IMO, a pretty solid back when healthy and in shape. 

I just don't see any reasonable comparison between the two.  Watching the game yesterday, it was clear he is hurt, or at least, not right.  His dropped passes were crazy and whatever is bothering him physically, to me, clearly is effecting him as a whole. 

There is no conversation here.  Gurley is an elite talent and clearly hurt.  Anderson is a good back but would never be in a championship game if Gurley was healthy, no matter how many balls he dropped in the first half.  Just my two cents
/thread

I sometimes wonder what the average Joe thinks they are actually "cleaning up" when they say "clean up procedure." it's a joke they even call it that
Too many instances of “rub dirt on it and get back out there” in season, and the dirt works into the joint and has to be surgically extracted, right?

😛

The 2016 rams were a mess.  4-12.  Goff looked like a deer in the headlights in his rookie campaign.  When an entire team is in the crapper on offense, it's hard to judge any one player by his stats for that year.  Team was a dumpster fire.  They got rid of Fischer, brought in McVay and got a fresh start. 

It's clear to me that you have an agenda and are just arguing for the sake of arguing.  If you seriously believe Anderson is as good a back or a better back than Hurley, then let's just say we agree to disagree and move along.  It's an argument not worth having. 
In other words, a RBs success has a lot more to do with the coaching staff, offense (increased scoring opportunities), and OL than the RB himself?  When they couldn't block and designed terrible plays, Gurley struggled.  Wouldn't you think someone you described as being so incredible be able to overcome those other team deficiencies?  Oh right, he wasn't and was literally one of the WORST RBs in the league. 

When McVay is a genius and the OL is one of the best ever at run blocking, ALL RBs including Brown and Anderson in the system have great success.

Same situation with James Conner - Pro Bowler in his first year.  Damien Williams replaced Kareem Hunt quite well.  RBs are practically worthless and their success is largely dependent on factors outside their control.  Put Gurley on the Bills for example and he is a nobody (like he was in 2016).  

The shtick of Gurley struggled in 2016 because the team sucked but was amazing in 2017 and 2018 ignoring everything but Gurley is some of the funniest stuff I will read today. 

Too many instances of “rub dirt on it and get back out there” in season, and the dirt works into the joint and has to be surgically extracted, right?

😛
pretty much. I wonder if people really think it's just a lavage procedure. 

When they do this kind of surgery they are typically shaving cartilage down, shaving meniscus down, cutting out scar tissue, etc. the difference between this and, let's say, a meniscectomy is probably the size of the tear being cut away. I can assure everyone there is no billing code for "clean up." Yet people shrug these surgeries off. that's a mistake in the long term

If David Johnson played on the Rams and Todd Gurley played on the Cardinals, who would be perceived as the best RB in the league?  Both are completely healthy for 2017 and 2018. 

One runs behind a terrible OL, with a rookie QB, they fired their OC midseason (who was also fired in 2017 midseason) and had a Vegas o/u of around 5 (few game scripts where they win/RB runs in the 4th quarter).  Fired more coaching staff after 2018.

One runs behind one of the best run blocking OL ever, with a good QB (also improved because of offensive scheme), probably the best play calling coach in football, and a Vegas o/u around 11-12 (many game scripts where they win/RB runs in the 4th quarter)

There is only one correct answer and anyone who gets this wrong should seriously be put on ignore.

tjnc09 said:
If David Johnson played on the Rams and Todd Gurley played on the Cardinals, who would be perceived as the best RB in the league?  Both are completely healthy for 2017 and 2018. 

One runs behind a terrible OL, with a rookie QB, they fired their OC midseason (who was also fired in 2017 midseason) and had a Vegas o/u of around 5 (few game scripts where they win/RB runs in the 4th quarter).  Fired more coaching staff after 2018.

One runs behind one of the best run blocking OL ever, with a good QB (also improved because of offensive scheme), probably the best play calling coach in football, and a Vegas o/u around 11-12 (many game scripts where they win/RB runs in the 4th quarter)

There is only one correct answer and anyone who gets this wrong should seriously be put on ignore.
careful. people will accuse you of calling Gurley JAG for stating that the team makes the RB look better

tjnc09 said:

Please, I’m begging you, put me on ignore.  

careful. people will accuse you of calling Gurley JAG for stating that the team makes the RB look better
I already got reported in the other thread.  It's a good reason 99% of the really sharp posters have left this forum.  I guess the vision now is to have everyone agree with each other since no one is willing to do outside the box critical thinking.  

I already got reported in the other thread.  It's a good reason 99% of the really sharp posters have left this forum.  I guess the vision now is to have everyone agree with each other since no one is willing to do outside the box critical thinking.  
yeah it will take more than a few self important, unhappy people with ego problems who just want to argue to get me out of here!

Unfortunately that’s not what’s happening. He’s stating Gurley is a JAG because he thinks Gurley is a JAG.  No one, certainly not me anyways, has ever said a good line or good coach has no impact, of course it does.  Hence 2016 Gurley and 2018 DJ.  

Users who are viewing this thread