Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Doug B

Potential NFL competitive integrity issue brought to light in Rams @ Saints game

14 hours ago, DJackson10 said:

Nah we would've just moved on and not act like a bunch of babies. 

BS :lol:   

:blows out: 

Not picking on you, DJ, but just in general, after reading 2 weeks' worth of comments, posts, etc. all over the place... if this whole ordeal has taught me one thing, it's that people are terrible at making analogies. :lmao:  OF COURSE missed calls are part of the game. Haven't heard one Saints fan arguing about any other missed calls in this game or previous ones (there were some, for both teams). OF COURSE there were plays that could've been called and executed differently. No different from any other game. IMO, what those arguments are doing, though, is willfully ignoring the fact that the Saints scored enough points against a TOUGH defense and held one of the top offenses to 20 points and were in a position to ice the game in the waning moments, which was completely part of the game plan (OK not the dropped screen pass on first down that cost them ~20 seconds of wind down, but still...). It's all you can ask of your team, especially against what most would agree was a top-4 team all year long. 

I think anyone saying "let it go" is either a) a troll, b) specifically anti-Saints for whatever personal/rivalry reasons, or c) just a casual fan with not enough interest to understand that other fans might be more emotionally invested than they are for their own team. As a rather passionate fan of my team, I honestly can't understand people saying they wouldn't be upset if this happened to their team. I am not one that gets upset at games, because as I've always said, "I've got to get up and go to work the next day, win or lose," But this one gutted me. Last year broke my heart, but this one absolutely pissed me off, because it was taken out of our hands. Instead of no-call, if Brees threw a pick there or got sacked and fumbled, or if we attemped a FG and missed it, then we wouldn't be having this conversation. It would be another year of  heartbreak. This wasn't that. This was a feeling of having our OPPORTUNITY yanked away. And sure, we got the ball in OT. I can't speak for everyone, but I honestly didn't feel like we were going to win once the no-call took place. I was on tilt. I cannot imagine how it affected the players, but I can't doubt that it took some wind out of their sails too. For me, that's the crux of the whole argument. Yeah, I know, you're supposed to rise above difficult situations like that. But it's easy to say that from the outside looking in when it wasn't your team that it happened to. That argument loses with me, because you're arguing something that wasn't supposed to happen in the first place. (insert terrible analogy here)

Take the Falcons, our most bitter rival. We have flung poo back and forth at each other for years. Lord knows we have given them so much grief over the 28-3 SB comeback, even still to this day; However, if this had happened to them, while I would probably rejoice a bit from a rivalry standpoint ("if it can't be us, PLEASE don't let it be them!"), I would also hope for a change that would keep this from happening to US in the future. 

The reasons this is still dominating the headlines even now, 2 weeks later, are a) because it riled up a passionate fanbase who already has a somewhat jaded history with the current NFL administration, b) every sports and even non-sports media outlet has and continues to talk about it since it happened, which only fuels the fire, and c) the league (Roger) was silent on this for so long. I think if Roger had yesterday's press conference the Monday after the game, this would have died down already. Handling difficult issues is clearly not his strong suit. But it doesn't matter. He panders to the owners and the money, and that's all that really matters. It will die down eventually. A rule may get changed, or it may not, who knows. But I can assure you the fans of the Saints won't ever "just let this go." IMO, the only thing that will ever somewhat make up for this is making it to another SB, and I honestly don't know if that will ever happen again in my lifetime. We know we are on the back end of our "window" with Brees aging. This was the best team we've ever had. We got lucky breaks along the way. All that has to be in place to make it to the SB, for ANY team. This was our year. We all knew it. THAT is why the fanbase is pissed off and will remain that way. 

Edited by Nathan R. Jessep
grammar duh
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, DJackson10 said:

Nah we would've just moved on and not act like a bunch of babies. 

This city would have moved on?  We are talking about Philadelphia (one of the most passionate fanbases)?  You’re kidding yourself if you believe that.  This would be the dominant topic in the city for the next year.  I honestly don’t know how people can fault Saints fans because nobody is in their shoes. 

ETA - disagreeing is one thing but calling them babies seems out of line given that we are less than 2 weeks removed from the biggest blown call in recent memory.

Edited by fred_1_15301
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 12:12 PM, Doug B said:

To your point bolded in red above, here's the OP of a thread to titled "Best analogy I've heard yet..." on Saintsreport.com:

Is the suggestion that MLB would change the outcome of the game the next day and award the "home run"? Has that ever happened before?

18 minutes ago, Dr. Octopus said:

Is the suggestion that MLB would change the outcome of the game the next day and award the "home run"? Has that ever happened before?

Don't know if the OP had a specific remedy in mind. IMHO, if something like that really happened in an MLB playoff game (esp a series clincher), MLB brass calls in from up on high and overrules the inexplicable call of the on-field umpire.

There is precedent in MLB, though, in going back and replaying a portion of a game. Baseball's a very different animal from football, obviously. I don't think hardly anyone expected the NFC Championship game to actually be replayed. The point of the OP is simply to illustrate the magnitude of the missed call.

6 hours ago, fred_1_15301 said:

This city would have moved on?  We are talking about Philadelphia (one of the most passionate fanbases)?  You’re kidding yourself if you believe that.  This would be the dominant topic in the city for the next year.  I honestly don’t know how people can fault Saints fans because nobody is in their shoes. 

ETA - disagreeing is one thing but calling them babies seems out of line given that we are less than 2 weeks removed from the biggest blown call in recent memory.

Simple saying there was blown calls on both sides. I linked to at least 3 missed calls the refs had on the Saints. Was the call bad? Yeah it was but lets not pretend the Saints and their fans are innocent in all of this mocking others teams and all. I really don't feel sorry they got a raw deal here. Only sorry the league has such inept officiating. 

Also I think they'd be more tamed since we just won the SB last year. You'd have the air heads on radio making fuss about it for sure but I think the majority after a week would've moved on. 

Edited by DJackson10

12 hours ago, NE_REVIVAL said:

Ya, because THAT is what Brady is known for. I don't understand some of u guys, u got the SB win and yet u hear this classless crap like "we have FUN on our team" blah blah (have fun wathing the sb on tv Lane (u dick). Speaking of constant complaining let it go man, did Mahomes find Brady after the afccc, no, does anyone care no. U won the sb stop looking for reason to trash brady and enjoy the moment at the top u had. Above all make sure you have fun:)  

It's called being classy and showing sportsmanship but we all know NE lacks it including their sports teams. Has Marchant assaulted anymore hockey players lately licking them? Maybe we could talk about the racist chants at Sawks Games? 

11 hours ago, Dizzy said:

And THAT would get my vote for worst/blown (borderline "fixed") call in NFL history.

No question about it. Clear fumble. point is there's teams who get screwed all the time. Also no one is gonna feel sorry for a team being screwed over who's been pretty cocky lately and not many people like the coach in NO. You think if NE got screwed on that call many fans would feel bad for them? Probably not. 

6 hours ago, Nathan R. Jessep said:

BS :lol:   

:blows out: 

Not picking on you, DJ, but just in general, after reading 2 weeks' worth of comments, posts, etc. all over the place... if this whole ordeal has taught me one thing, it's that people are terrible at making analogies. :lmao:  OF COURSE missed calls are part of the game. Haven't heard one Saints fan arguing about any other missed calls in this game or previous ones (there were some, for both teams). OF COURSE there were plays that could've been called and executed differently. No different from any other game. IMO, what those arguments are doing, though, is willfully ignoring the fact that the Saints scored enough points against a TOUGH defense and held one of the top offenses to 20 points and were in a position to ice the game in the waning moments, which was completely part of the game plan (OK not the dropped screen pass on first down that cost them ~20 seconds of wind down, but still...). It's all you can ask of your team, especially against what most would agree was a top-4 team all year long. 

I think anyone saying "let it go" is either a) a troll, b) specifically anti-Saints for whatever personal/rivalry reasons, or c) just a casual fan with not enough interest to understand that other fans might be more emotionally invested than they are for their own team. As a rather passionate fan of my team, I honestly can't understand people saying they wouldn't be upset if this happened to their team. I am not one that gets upset at games, because as I've always said, "I've got to get up and go to work the next day, win or lose," But this one gutted me. Last year broke my heart, but this one absolutely pissed me off, because it was taken out of our hands. Instead of no-call, if Brees threw a pick there or got sacked and fumbled, or if we attemped a FG and missed it, then we wouldn't be having this conversation. It would be another year of  heartbreak. This wasn't that. This was a feeling of having our OPPORTUNITY yanked away. And sure, we got the ball in OT. I can't speak for everyone, but I honestly didn't feel like we were going to win once the no-call took place. I was on tilt. I cannot imagine how it affected the players, but I can't doubt that it took some wind out of their sails too. For me, that's the crux of the whole argument. Yeah, I know, you're supposed to rise above difficult situations like that. But it's easy to say that from the outside looking in when it wasn't your team that it happened to. That argument loses with me, because you're arguing something that wasn't supposed to happen in the first place. (insert terrible analogy here)

Take the Falcons, our most bitter rival. We have flung poo back and forth at each other for years. Lord knows we have given them so much grief over the 28-3 SB comeback, even still to this day; However, if this had happened to them, while I would probably rejoice a bit from a rivalry standpoint ("if it can't be us, PLEASE don't let it be them!"), I would also hope for a change that would keep this from happening to US in the future. 

The reasons this is still dominating the headlines even now, 2 weeks later, are a) because it riled up a passionate fanbase who already has a somewhat jaded history with the current NFL administration, b) every sports and even non-sports media outlet has and continues to talk about it since it happened, which only fuels the fire, and c) the league (Roger) was silent on this for so long. I think if Roger had yesterday's press conference the Monday after the game, this would have died down already. Handling difficult issues is clearly not his strong suit. But it doesn't matter. He panders to the owners and the money, and that's all that really matters. It will die down eventually. A rule may get changed, or it may not, who knows. But I can assure you the fans of the Saints won't ever "just let this go." IMO, the only thing that will ever somewhat make up for this is making it to another SB, and I honestly don't know if that will ever happen again in my lifetime. We know we are on the back end of our "window" with Brees aging. This was the best team we've ever had. We got lucky breaks along the way. All that has to be in place to make it to the SB, for ANY team. This was our year. We all knew it. THAT is why the fanbase is pissed off and will remain that way. 

If you are talking about bounty Gate are you seriously gonna defend the league going after you? That was one thing Goodell got right with teams doing stuff they shouldn't do. I hope you seriously aren't defending that and I may have missed a completely different issue thats happened recently you are talking about. I agree Goodell handles these things poorly. People have also accused Kraft of going lightly on the Patriots do to his friendship with Kraft. My point is almost every team was shafted of a win this year because of some inept officials call.

Yeah it sucks but NO also missed opportunities that game too. Instead of passing on the first two plays of that drive before the blown call maybe Payton could've gee I don't know done the smart thing and Ran the ball? Your coach trying to show he's the smartest man in the league again out did himself and put his team in a spot for that event. Maybe if Payton calls the 2 runs there's no reason to pass the ball on 3rd down? There was a lot of situations that happened before that call that the Saints didn't execute on. The reason these things are brought up is because the coach put them in that situation for the missed call. Also people aren't feeling sorry for you guys after the way some of the players and Payton have acted most of the this season. We kind of see it more as karma. Think of it this way. If this was the patriots who got the blown call and screwed you think fans are gonna feel bad for a team that's shown such a lack of sportsmanship, has gotten a ton of calls go their way and look down on the league you think anyone is gonna fell sorry for them? No. Blame your coach and your players for how they acted if you think people aren't caring enough about the blown call. Us Eagles fans aren't. Your players mocked our fun and then your coach was very disrespectful to one of our female reporters with the amount of hypocrisy there was in what the question was asked and his response. So honestly there's gonna be no sympathy from Eagles fans here. 

1 hour ago, DJackson10 said:

If you are talking about bounty Gate are you seriously gonna defend the league going after you? That was one thing Goodell got right with teams doing stuff they shouldn't do. I hope you seriously aren't defending that and I may have missed a completely different issue thats happened recently you are talking about. I agree Goodell handles these things poorly. People have also accused Kraft of going lightly on the Patriots do to his friendship with Kraft. My point is almost every team was shafted of a win this year because of some inept officials call.

Yeah it sucks but NO also missed opportunities that game too. Instead of passing on the first two plays of that drive before the blown call maybe Payton could've gee I don't know done the smart thing and Ran the ball? Your coach trying to show he's the smartest man in the league again out did himself and put his team in a spot for that event. Maybe if Payton calls the 2 runs there's no reason to pass the ball on 3rd down? There was a lot of situations that happened before that call that the Saints didn't execute on. The reason these things are brought up is because the coach put them in that situation for the missed call. Also people aren't feeling sorry for you guys after the way some of the players and Payton have acted most of the this season. We kind of see it more as karma. Think of it this way. If this was the patriots who got the blown call and screwed you think fans are gonna feel bad for a team that's shown such a lack of sportsmanship, has gotten a ton of calls go their way and look down on the league you think anyone is gonna fell sorry for them? No. Blame your coach and your players for how they acted if you think people aren't caring enough about the blown call. Us Eagles fans aren't. Your players mocked our fun and then your coach was very disrespectful to one of our female reporters with the amount of hypocrisy there was in what the question was asked and his response. So honestly there's gonna be no sympathy from Eagles fans here. 

Dude. Seriously? I don't want  or need your sympathy. You completely missed or are just purposely ignoring my points to repeat the very same points I was talking about. I am not sure you even read all of my post. So I won't waste any more time going back over the points I made which you completely ignored. :lol:  I said I wasn't even talking to you specifically, just addressing some of the points you made which happen to be the same exact points I have seen repeated over and over again all over the internet, which are completely irrelevant to the argument the fanbase is making. and I stated exactly why. There seems to be a disconnect there and I'm not sure why, but I stated my best guesses at why.  

But to answer the bounty gate thing, no I wasn't defending the fact that we got in trouble for it, only mentioning that where was a jaded history there between our administration and league administration. Yes, I've seen other people say this was karma for Bountygate. Seriously? That's your argument for this being ok to happen in the very same league YOUR team plays in? OK then. All I can say is that, if no rule is changed/added and you have a trip to the SuperBowl on the line, I sure hope it doesn't happen to your team.

Also the "cocky players and coaches" argument doesn't hold water with me either. Name one NFL team who doesn't have cocky players and coaches. You can't. It's just that you hear more from the ones who are, well, good, because they are in the spotlight more. Aside from the occasional lone loudmouth on teams that aren't as good, of course.

• Like 1

Since bounty gate came up, let me remind posters of the total number of games that Saints players were suspended, 0.  This was a horrible call, it happens.  Bounty gate was sabotaging the Saints for PR purposes.  I will forever be infinitely more bitter about bounty gate than this. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Shawnky said:

DJackson solidifying himself as one of the most ill-informed posters on these boards.

Your first mistake was reading it.

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1

23 hours ago, Nathan R. Jessep said:

Also the "cocky players and coaches" argument doesn't hold water with me either. Name one NFL team who doesn't have cocky players and coaches. You can't. It's just that you hear more from the ones who are, well, good, because they are in the spotlight more. Aside from the occasional lone loudmouth on teams that aren't as good, of course.

Using the Meek Mill Dreams song the Eagles used all year after beating the Eagles, Kamara and others making fun of the ski masks, Sean Payton running up the score and then when asked if he was concerned about it motivation made some comment about motivation shouldn't be needed in the playoffs yet brings in the Lombardi Trophy and the winners prize $$$ for winning the SB to his team the very week for motivation? Yeah thats not being cocky at all :rolleyes:. No we said it was karma for disrespecting another team. The football gods don't like when you pull that ####. Want to bet the Patriots using the Meek Mill thing and taking shots at the Eagles in their pump up Video today is gonna end well for them Sunday. Watch if they get destroyed on Sunday or get shafted by a blown call. That's gonna be karma. I've also never had people talk about a more overrated coach in Sean Payton. 1 SB appearance in how many years? In most other cities this guy would've been gone years ago. Always acting like he's the smartest guy in the room killing drives for the saints with his Taysom Hill Bull####. 

4 minutes ago, DJackson10 said:

Using the Meek Mill Dreams song the Eagles used all year after beating the Eagles, Kamara and others making fun of the ski masks, Sean Payton running up the score and then when asked if he was concerned about it motivation made some comment about motivation shouldn't be needed in the playoffs yet brings in the Lombardi Trophy and the winners prize $$$ for winning the SB to his team the very week for motivation? Yeah thats not being cocky at all :rolleyes:. No we said it was karma for disrespecting another team. The football gods don't like when you pull that ####. Want to bet the Patriots using the Meek Mill thing and taking shots at the Eagles in their pump up Video today is gonna end well for them Sunday. Watch if they get destroyed on Sunday or get shafted by a blown call. That's gonna be karma. I've also never had people talk about a more overrated coach in Sean Payton. 1 SB appearance in how many years? In most other cities this guy would've been gone years ago. Always acting like he's the smartest guy in the room killing drives for the saints with his Taysom Hill Bull####. 

Let I go dude.  Crying won't change anything.

23 hours ago, Nathan R. Jessep said:

Dude. Seriously? I don't want  or need your sympathy. You completely missed or are just purposely ignoring my points to repeat the very same points I was talking about. I am not sure you even read all of my post. So I won't waste any more time going back over the points I made which you completely ignored. :lol:  I said I wasn't even talking to you specifically, just addressing some of the points you made which happen to be the same exact points I have seen repeated over and over again all over the internet, which are completely irrelevant to the argument the fanbase is making. and I stated exactly why. There seems to be a disconnect there and I'm not sure why, but I stated my best guesses at why.  

But to answer the bounty gate thing, no I wasn't defending the fact that we got in trouble for it, only mentioning that where was a jaded history there between our administration and league administration. Yes, I've seen other people say this was karma for Bountygate. Seriously? That's your argument for this being ok to happen in the very same league YOUR team plays in? OK then. All I can say is that, if no rule is changed/added and you have a trip to the SuperBowl on the line, I sure hope it doesn't happen to your team.

Yet you keep crying how it's not fair and coming off like you need it. I read your post I agree with some stuff completely disagree with other stuff. You are trying to act like other teams didn't get screwed as well. I pointed out a blatant missed Facemask on the drive LAR tied it at the goalie 2nd and goal at the 5 Goff runs for 2 yards Okafor grabs the facemask no call. Rams don't punch it in and have to settle for a FG. Gee lets completely forget about the Rams possible chance of having more chances for a score. Yes your team got screwed but it wasn't the only missed call of the game. It's only a game don't sweat over it. How has this effected your life since then? Seriously 

I never said you defended the bounty thing I was asking if there was another incident I may have missed. And no it wasn't karma for that but for disrespecting another team and your coach being overly cocky. Like I said the Saints got calls the week before against my team that may have cost the Eagles the game but you didn't see us using the bad calls as our excuse for losing because we simple shot ourselves in the foot and had that game if Foles doesn't miss some of his throws and we had better execution. You got a phantom Penalty on us backed up into your Endzone when you had one lineman holding Cox and another grabbing a facemask in the EZ which should've resulted in a Penalty and a safety Eagles ball and it was pretty blatantly clear in the EZ. But you didn't see using that as an excuse that we lost. Yeah the call or non call in your game was terrible. Fine lets all move on now. 

BTW Congratulations Minnesota Viking Fans but you now can give your reward for biggest crybabies in the NFL to the Saints fans. You only got to keep it for one year but I never thought I'd see a fanbase act more sad and embarrassing then I have witnessed Saints fans the past 2 weeks. You're off the hook. I'll give your city credit for not having a fake SB parade and not even showing the game on TV and being kind host to both SB teams though. 

• Laughing 1

23 minutes ago, DJackson10 said:

BTW Congratulations Minnesota Viking Fans but you now can give your reward for biggest crybabies in the NFL to the Saints fans. You only got to keep it for one year but I never thought I'd see a fanbase act more sad and embarrassing then I have witnessed Saints fans the past 2 weeks. You're off the hook. I'll give your city credit for not having a fake SB parade and not even showing the game on TV and being kind host to both SB teams though. 

New around here I see.  Maybe that explains your lack of insight, but I doubt it. 

On 1/31/2019 at 7:28 PM, DJackson10 said:

It's called being classy and showing sportsmanship but we all know NE lacks it including their sports teams. Has Marchant assaulted anymore hockey players lately licking them? Maybe we could talk about the racist chants at Sawks Games? 

A Philly fan calling another teams fans not classy and full of bad sportsmanship? Good Lord, that's hysterical

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/22/2019 at 3:02 PM, Joe Bryant said:

That's a fair point. 

The difference in this one was the timing.

If the ref makes the obvious call, the Saints run the clock to a few seconds and all it takes is making the chip shot field goal and go to the Super Bowl. 

This happens in the 2nd quarter and there are tons more things that must happen for the Saints to win. 

That's the difference I believe. 

That is why there is more outrage now but my premise is that maybe the whole season would be different if officials were accountable or could get a review right. Go back to the last Eagles - Cowboys game and the Cowboys fumbled the opening kick off an Eagles recovered, no Cowboys were even near the ball. Refs gave the ball to the Cowboys who won by less than a touchdown. If you watch the NFL closely you will find horrible calls all season long even with the replay. So it is not logical to me to get all bent out of shape about 1 game changing call in the playoffs, but I understand why people do. If the NFL ran a nearly flawless ship I may care more but it usually seems some team is favored by the refs and allowed to get away with stuff. The last year the Seahawks won the Super Bowl, their DB's held likely crazy to get there and it was usually ignored. Its not hard to lock a guy up when you never let go of his jersey.

Cosmic sports justice. From Saintsreport:

There was a point in the game where it was 10-3.

Goff threw the ball to cooks and the defender grabbed his arm to keep him from catching the ball and there was no flag.if they threw the flag it would have been first and goal with the ball probably on the one. 

Couldn't have happened to a better team. If they get that call the most likely tie the game. The icing on the cake is that on the very next play goff threw a interception.

Edited by Doug B
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Elevencents said:

Truly wonder what would have happened if it were Cowboys vs Pats.

Assuming the Refs had call the games correctly during the regular season and not inflated the Saints record.

39 minutes ago, BassNBrew said:

Assuming the Refs had call the games correctly during the regular season and not inflated the Saints record.

I don’t care if the Saints record was 2-14 I’m going off of how they looked when I watched them (Kamara and Thomas owner so I saw a good bit). I believe the game would have been completely different. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Elevencents said:

Truly wonder what would have happened if it were Saints vs Pats.

And the push for 20 pages begins.

On 1/31/2019 at 8:22 PM, Doug B said:
On 1/31/2019 at 8:53 PM, Doug B said:

Plus a minimum of 14 more upheld-protest game resumptions in MLB history, the most recent being in 2014. Means nothing to the Saints-Rams outcome, really just interesting trivia.

How many of those involved overturning judgement calls?

9 hours ago, Elevencents said:

The Patriots would have scored way more than 13 points.

10 hours ago, Doug B said:

Cosmic sports justice. From Saintsreport:

Why is their any blame being directed at the Rams ("Couldn't have happened to a better team.")? They did not blow the call and what were they supposed to do bow out of the Super Bowl because the Saints "deserved" the win?

I know I would be very pissed off if that happened to my team - but the Saints' fans are coming off very poorly here.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dr. Octopus said:

I know I would be very pissed off if that happened to my team - but the Saints' fans are coming off very poorly here.

Oh, that's because the Saints are the only team in football history to get screwed by the refs. Once others (eventually) suffer the same fate they won't feel so targeted.

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1

10 hours ago, Elevencents said:

It could not have been any worse than the game we got treated to yesterday.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Dr. Octopus said:

Why is their any blame being directed at the Rams ("Couldn't have happened to a better team.")?

Intentional helmet-to-helmet on Josh Hill and Tommy Lee-Lewis (the No-Call was two fouls ignored, not merely PI). Also, Robey-Coleman rubbed it in on social media.

... what were they supposed to do bow out of the Super Bowl because the Saints "deserved" the win?

Kinda what the Rams ended up doing. Many here will scoff, but a lot of Saints fans believe that the two weeks of "they don't belong here" and "they lucked into the SB" talk got into the Rams' player heads and was a factor in their lackluster performance.

3 minutes ago, Doug B said:

Intentional helmet-to-helmet on Josh Hill and Tommy Lee-Lewis (the No-Call was two fouls ignored, not merely PI). Also, Robey-Coleman rubbed it in on social media.

Kinda what the Rams ended up doing. Many here will scoff, but a lot of Saints fans believe that the two weeks of "they don't belong here" and "they lucked into the SB" talk got into the Rams' player heads and was a factor in their lackluster performance.

I think that is crazy talk. The Rams defense played incredible, but the offense was awful, largely because Belichick and his staff did an incredible job (and Goff had not played well since the bye, except for a few stretches). 

Had it been Saints vs. Pats yesterday, I think it is a given that the Saints would have scored more than 3 points, but I doubt the Saints D would have done to the Patriots offense what the rams D did. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Doug B said:

Cosmic sports justice:

Goff threw the ball to cooks and the defender grabbed his arm to keep him from catching the ball and there was no flag.

This is an odd comment for someone is so worried about the integrity of the NFL.

8 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

I think that is crazy talk. The Rams defense played incredible, but the offense was awful, largely because Belichick and his staff did an incredible job (and Goff had not played well since the bye, except for a few stretches). 

That's even worse, then. It means that Sean McVay was decisively outclassed last night. If there's nothing back at all to fall on except "I couldn't read Belichick's defense from the sideline well enough to give my offense any kind of a chance " ... no lingering doubts, no distraction from the same doubting questions asked over and over. So it was just a lost game in a vacuum?

1 minute ago, Steeler said:

This is an odd comment for someone is so worried about the integrity of the NFL.

Still am. Schadenfreude on one hand, concern on the other. Simultaneously.

I did see replay of last night's call that bostonfred linked for me. IMHO, while it should have been called, it was much more "missable" than the  No-Call. The officials had nowhere near as clear of a look at it, and the Patriots DB did a good job keeping the grab brief, yet impactcful. That said, I support Jayrok's idea about PI and other fouls in the defensive backfield being policed from booth officials rather than on-field officials.

Also, the reality is still that a fixed NFL game (e.g. bought-off ref, etc.) and a "bad call" NFL game are indistinguishable from each other. How would anyone ever know? Potential outside interests who would be interested in buying off a ref have to be a little more emboldened now -- they know for sure the general public will be very willing to explain away whatever takes place.

26 minutes ago, Doug B said:

Also, the reality is still that a fixed NFL game (e.g. bought-off ref, etc.) and a "bad call" NFL game are indistinguishable from each other. How would anyone ever know? Potential outside interests who would be interested in buying off a ref have to be a little more emboldened now -- they know for sure the general public will be very willing to explain away whatever takes place.

Would the ref still have gotten paid off if the Saints stopped the Rams from driving for the FG, scored in OT or stopped the Rams from scoring in OT?

This is just getting silly now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Doc, you're talking "outcome" -- I'm talking "process". The "human element" allows too much wiggle room to explain away any potential game outcome. That can be exploited.

1 hour ago, Dr. Octopus said:

the Saints' fans are coming off very poorly here

:goodposting: :goodposting: :goodposting: 

In fairness, it is probably unfair to lump all Saints fans together on this. It is mostly @Doug B.

Edited by Just Win Baby

2 minutes ago, Just Win Baby said:

In fairness, it is probably unfair to lump all Saints fans together on this. It is mostly @Doug B.

I'll own it.

Meanwhile, shots from Drew Brees' Instagram of the Boycott Bowl celebration in downtown New Orleans yesterday.

Meanwhile, part 2: this guy has been performing on various street corners downtown every work day since the NFC title game. Dude's got a host of new songs about that game ... and he hasn't been shy about sharing them with nearby office building staff. No one tells him to get moving or to shut up about it -- rather, he's viewed as performing for all of us.

I will say, though, that at least on Saintsreport -- and also among fans that have called into to local drivetime radio this morning -- the Rams' Super Bowl loss has been welcomed as catharsis. The vibe is that people here are less salty than they were 24 hours ago. 

1 hour ago, Doug B said:
1 hour ago, Steeler said:

Still am. Schadenfreude on one hand, concern on the other. Simultaneously.

Welcome to the club.

44 minutes ago, need2know said:

biggest crybabys in the league

Epic proportions now.

Although, as I’m ever the opportunist in fantasy, I hope they go on a giant FU world tour next season. I’ll be targeting the saints heavily 🤣

2 minutes ago, BusterTBronco said:

This Patriots superbowl should have an asterisk. They would not have beaten the Saints and everyone knows it.

I’ve been defending the Saints and Saints fans throughout this thread but this post is ludicrous.  You have no idea what would have happened if the Pats played the Saints.  I suspect any offense would have been overwhelmed by that Pats defense that showed up last night.