Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Doug B

Potential NFL competitive integrity issue brought to light in Rams @ Saints game

5 minutes ago, Bucky86 said:

This crew was 0-8 calling Rams games.

Not quite. With Vinovich as a referee, the Rams were 0-8 (going back to 2009, I think?). The crew from the NFC title was not his regular-season crew -- it was a crew made up of those officials whose regular-season grade-outs qualified them to call the playoffs.

• Like 1

Peter King in today's Football Morning in America. No kvetching about who was robbed or anything like that -- he discusses the bigger issue with officiating. THIS is the issue that Joe Bryant and others are surprised to see so many here being blase about.

The bolding is in King's article, while the red text is my highlighting:

Where's Roger, Again?

Hard to know where to start when discussing the eight-day-old officiating decision heard-round-the-NFL that played a major role in the Rams winning the NFC title game. I think we should start at silence … silence from the NFL, and from commissioner Roger Goodell, and (mostly) from vice president for officiating Al Riveron.

It is disconcerting that Goodell, who entered the league as a PR intern three-and-a-half decades ago, has been so weak-kneed in hiding from the onslaught of this controversy. It started with an obvious pass interference infraction that went uncalled in the Superdome eight days ago, advanced to the chambers of the U.S. Senate on Friday, and will dog Goodell till he acknowledges the momentous error, presumably at his state-of-the-league press conference Wednesday.

Goodell has a new high-powered PR team around him, but he’s never been one to take much advice in how to respond to public crises. That frustrated some of his now departed PR appointees, who found that he listened to their advice but usually did what he wanted regardless. But what seems so tone-deaf and arrogant about ignoring the no-call in New Orleans is … well, let me enumerate:

• It flies in the face of what the NFL has done for years. Searching the internet Friday, I found 15 occasions (I bet it’s closer to 30) since 2003 that the NFL admitted an officiating error publicly—either in a statement, or on the league’s in-house NFL Network, or on Twitter. The NFL has not commented publicly since Nickell Robey-Coleman of the Rams slammed into Saints wideout Tommylee Lewis before the ball arrived with 1:43 left in a tied NFC title game at the L.A. 6-yard line. The Saints, had the obvious infraction been flagged, could have run the clock down to about 20 to 25 seconds, kicked the go-ahead chip-shot field goal, then kicked off to the Rams, who had no timeouts left. Suffice to say that it’s more likely than not that the Saints would have won the game. After the game, Saints coach Sean Payton said Riveron admitted the mistake to him over the phone. But that’s all we’ve heard about the most important officiating mistake in years.

It’s so different from recent history. The league’s three officiating czars in the last 16 years—Mike Pereira, Dean Blandino and Riveron—have publicly admitted errors large and small and often have apologized for them, including a huge missed defensive pass-interference error at the end of the 49ers’ 39-38 wild-card win over the Giants in January 2003. “The game [should] have been extended by one untimed down,” a league statement said. Take it all the way to last month, when Riveron admitted the officials blew a Bobby Wagner illegal leap to block a Vikings field goal in Seattle. “This is a foul,” Riveron said. But now, nothing. The sounds of silence, disgracefully, on the worst missed call in the league in years. The message: The NFL will admit mistake after mistake after mistake, significant ones, but when it comes to a colossal gaffe, league officials will hide in their Park Avenue fortress.

• What good would it do? Not much. But in a league that asks for the public trust and holds itself up as a sporting model of propriety, it’s called doing the right thing. It’s a simple public statement Goodell could issue; he should make it, because the buck stops with him. Or he could do it on camera with someone like Judy Battista or Ian Rapoport of NFL Network. He could deliver a simple message:

"We appreciate the passion of the Saints and their fans, who are some of the best fans in the league. We’re lucky to have them. There was a mistake made by our officials at the end of the NFC Championship Game at a crucial point of the game, and it’s a mistake we don‘t take lightly. We regret the error. We know that doesn’t fix the mistake. But we want fans of the Saints and fans of our league to know we’ll work hard to improve our officiating. This takes nothing away from the efforts of the Los Angeles Rams, who deserve the victory and will be worthy representatives of the NFC in the Super Bowl. We’re now going to re-double our efforts to make sure we close the loophole that allowed this to happen. All options are on the table for improving officiating, and our Competition Committee will work immediately to figure out the best way to help our officials be even better in 2019 and beyond.”

• It’s totally disrespectful to fans—in Louisiana and across the country—to ignore the story. Let’s now count how many places Goodell must need extra security—if he even shows his face in public there. New England. St. Louis. San Diego. Oakland. Louisiana. Anywhere the draft is held. As for the Saints: It’s hard to go to New Orleans and not be wowed by the passion of the fans. When a third of the metro area population went away following Hurricane Katrina in 2005, the fans of a bad Saints team responded by selling out the Superdome for 2006—and every year since. I go to all the cities and see all the teams. I can tell you there is no place more passionate than Louisiana about its team. They’re hurting. They’re angry. They’re despondent. What do they get from the NFL? The back of its hand.

I spoke to retiring Saints tight end Benjamin Watson the same day he issued his impassioned where-is-Roger statement. He echoed it to me, pretty much. “This an imperfect game, coached by imperfect people, played by imperfect people, reffed by imperfect people,” Watson said. “This is simply a case where one of those imperfect people made a huge mistake and impacted a team and a city and a lot of passionate fans. The commissioner should say something. This is an NFL franchise. These are some of your most passionate fans. This is not a franchise on the fringe, or an expansion franchise. For him to sit there and not say anything, for him to be silent, is disheartening for the fans. Not just for Saints fans but football fans. They want to know the game is not rigged. Plus, it is disrespectful to the men in both locker rooms, who deserve the truth. Instead, all we get is silence.”

• The league’s valuation of the vice president of officiating position is dumb, and should be re-thought, even if it means Riveron goes. Football Zebras, the NFL officiating watchdog site, estimates that the officiating VP post a salary of about $350,000 a year. From Labor Day to early February, a span of more than five months, the job is the second-most important in pro football administration, behind one person—Goodell. It is beyond ridiculous that the second-most important guy in the league office for the season, the face of the league in many weeks, makes 1 percent of Roger Goodell’s annual compensation.

Let’s say the NFL moves to strengthen the internal operations of officiating. Let’s say they begin to pay this job for what the headaches and brickbats and cover-the-NFL’s-rear part of the job are worth. My recommendation: Call Blandino and his employer, network partner FOX, and see if a signing bonus of $1 million and annual salary of $1 million could convince him to jump back to the league, where he is missed. Convince FOX it’s for the good of the game. (Blandino recently said he’ll stay in television, but I’d like to see what he’d do if offered $2 million for his services in 2019.) Keep Riveron, if he’ll stay, as Blandino’s number two, which he used to be.

One last thing: Put everything on the table for discussion at the league’s March meeting in Phoenix, but decide nothing. Give it the proper consideration. Then convene a week-long post-draft power meeting in New York with the Competition Committee and other influential league pillars, like Belichick. Put everything on the table. Bring in John Madden, Ozzie Newsome, Ed Hochuli and the respected idea people to figure out the best way to proceed on new officiating strictures.

With most every significant league figure in Atlanta for at least part of this week, this should be the start of an idea period. I’ll share one that I got from an active NFL coach last week, in a text. “Rules need to be changed for the playoffs,” the coach wrote. “Coaches need to have more challenge and be able to challenge more types of calls, like P.I. It’s too important to say, ‘Well, we’ve never done that before.’ It’s the playoffs. All that matters is we get it right!”

Well put.

• Like 1

On 1/25/2019 at 1:37 PM, Kwai Chang Caine said:

I could care less what some “computer model” says. That’s the same type of thing where a snow storm is predicted to bring 6 inches and you’re just as likely to get a dusting or 2 feet. Do you guys believe the “computer model” when using yahoo for fantasy? It’s a joke.

At some point you gotta accept it. No law suit is gonna save this and no computer geek can give you any real prediction. If that were true, those models would bankrupt Las Vegas. For the last time, the Saints still could have won and they didn’t. 

Let's maybe start with learning the difference between win probability and a "computer model".

4 minutes ago, RUSF18 said:

Let's maybe start with learning the difference between win probability and a "computer model".

Doesn't really matter since nobody is using the actual probabilities.  Just making up whatever number they think makes their argument look better.

2 hours ago, leave a whisper said:

Theft.

no NFL fan should be ok with that no call (which WOULD have ended the game/ gave the Saints the win -- any other talk is just spin)

You and Doug B treating this as a walk-off win that got over turned aren't doing much for your credibility.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Short Corner said:

You and Doug B treating this as a walk-off win that got over turned aren't doing much for your credibility.

As a Saints fan, I don't have necessarily have credibility on this issue, anyway. It's not my credibility at stake. Quoth Peter King regarding the commissioner's silence on the matter:

... in a league that asks for the public trust and holds itself up as a sporting model of propriety, [publicly addressing the No-Call is] called doing the right thing.

1 hour ago, RUSF18 said:

I do know the difference Ok? How about I could care less about “win probability.” You cannot be 100% certain of any “probable outcome” due to human element. Blown calls happen every game. This one was bad—maybe the worst ever but they still could have won and life goes on ya know?

2 minutes ago, Kwai Chang Caine said:

I do know the difference Ok? How about I could care less about “win probability.” You cannot be 100% certain of any “probable outcome” due to human element. Blown calls happen every game. This one was bad—maybe the worst ever but they still could have won and life goes on ya know?

Of course it does.

The question is how does the league fix it so there isn't a next time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, treat88 said:

This. 

6 minutes ago, treat88 said:

Of course it does.

Unless we have super computers referee the game, there will be a next time and a time after that. Human element which I believe Ben Watson eloquently and accurately stated it. But sure, I’m all for improving. I don’t want to ever see a play like that happen again. And as I’ve said before, I like the saints and feel really bad for their fans on this board but I can’t believe with the state of the country, that a game played and officiated by imperfect poeple  has become a pressing, national issue. That’s absurd.

ETA: wasn’t there once a discussion to just have a computer calls balls and strikes in baseball? But I believe it was shot down because no one really wants to go THAT far to remove human element. Have to take the good with the bad I guess....

Edited by Kwai Chang Caine

6 minutes ago, Kwai Chang Caine said:

Unless we have super computers referee the game, there will be a next time and a time after that. Human element which I believe Ben Watson eloquently and accurately stated it. But sure, I’m all for improving. I don’t want to ever see a play like that happen again. And as I’ve said before, I like the saints and feel really bad for their fans on this board but I can’t believe with the state of the country, that a game played and officiated by imperfect poeple  has become a pressing, national issue. That’s absurd.

ETA: wasn’t there once a discussion to just have a computer calls balls and strikes in baseball? But I believe it was shot down because no one really wants to go THAT far to remove human element. Have to take the good with the bad I guess....

The talk of the automated strike zone definitely continues and actually increases every season it becomes more feasible.

Color me in the camp of doing what it takes to get the calls right.  I dont enjoy the human element of reffing the game when it comes to black and white calls.  Certain rulings lend themselves to subjectivity and human refs will always be necessary.  Certain calls are yes/no and I hate it when they are missed and not corrected.  Especially when those calls happen in game/season changing moments.  Whatever it takes to get it right is what I am in favor of.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2019 at 11:10 AM, Kwai Chang Caine said:

Not a congressman, a SENATOR for crying out loud. The blow hard actually had the nerve to thank government workers for working for free before getting to his main argument of the poor Saints fan base getting screwed. Unbelievable.

Senators and Representatives are both congressmen....sorry, pet peeve that I really don't understand at all.  

Carry on

Maybe they can create software that camouflages the teams jerseys and have 5 refs watch the video on delay and make the calls. 

Edited by Bucky86

9 hours ago, treat88 said:

They can't. They won't. And there will be a "next time"... maybe even on Sunday.

Forget about it. Move on or stop watching... those are the options.

• Like 1

Tampa Bay Times columnist commiserates:

I’m not blaming the officiating crew for having their eyes painted on. I blame the system. And the system needs to be addressed before next season. There is too much money on the line. And then there is that trophy.

Baseball has replay. Even hockey has replay. Guys sit in command centers in New York and Toronto, respectively, and review reviewable plays and let officials on site know what went down. That’s what football needs. Not that it will do the Saints any good, but that’s what the NFL needs, otherwise it’s Jeffrey Maier times one hundred.

I mean, you bring in $9 billion you can’t have a guy watching a screen buzz the referee’s ear piece and let him know what his crew missed?

Yeah, those same guys watching the screens will probably also see holding on ever play, only because there is. Some kinks will need to be worked out, but you get the idea.

... this isn’t about people being people. It’s about a system that’s broken. And the NFL just rewarded it by ignoring it, nothing to see here, move along, enjoy the fan zone.

Atlanta Falcons owner Arthur Blank:

"The NFL takes the integrity of the game very seriously," Blank said.

"That's the backbone of what we do. Every year, the competition committee looks at everything that took place in the previous year, and obviously this year will include the call that was missed in the conference championship game.

"They will look at making refinements to the rules, and I'm sure they will do something, although what that will be I'm not sure."

A Week Later, a Blown Call Is Still Topic A (New York Times)

At N.F.L. media nights, the biggest stars speak at podiums, and this year was no different. When the Los Angeles Rams took the floor, quarterback Jared Goff, running back Todd Gurley II and Coach Sean McVay drew big crowds.

But cornerback Nickell Robey-Coleman drew equally large crowds. A week ago, Robey-Coleman was a former undrafted free agent finishing his sixth season. Now, he needed media minders to keep reporters from digging too deeply into a play that may have altered the Super Bowl.

NE should file a protest right now in the event (when) the refs screw them.

Think about it...Saints get jobbed out of a SB appearance.  Imagine if the Rams win it all?  However, my guess is that no one will care as much as they should because of a NE loss.  That's just weird.

On 1/28/2019 at 11:40 AM, Short Corner said:

pretending that no call wouldn't have been the game clincher/ win for the Saints is turning a blind eye to logic  

spin away ..... but  this SB comes with an asterisk 

Roger Goodell's 'State of the NFL' press conference coming up at noon CDT.

There's usually some non-sports press at SB Media Week -- journalists who can flout the NFL and not care if they never get future access again. Though I know Goodell will give non-answers, it will be interesting to see if he can be made to squirm a bit.

Can someone tell Sean Payton no one cares about his 30 min press conference week of Super Bowl he isn’t in. 

• Like 2

Sean Payton is having his end-of-season press conference live right now.

Mike Triplett
@MikeTriplett

Sean Payton said as much as he hated having the postgame phone call with the NFL’s head of officials, Al Riveron, he credited Riveron for being great about the no-call. Payton hopes it can spur a rules change, like “loopholes” discovered in games have done in the past.

Link

22 minutes ago, GoBirds said:

Can someone tell Sean Payton no one cares about his 30 min press conference week of Super Bowl he isn’t in. 

It's the regular end-of-season press conference that most coaches do every year. Besides, he's surrounded by local media -- it's understood that people in other markets are less interested.

EDIT: Someone on Saintsreport posted that ALL NFL coaches are required to have these end-of-season press conferences. I know I've seen other coaches do them ... Belichick's seem to get attention most years. Therefore, there's no legit beef about Payton talking to the media today. If ESPN or other outlets choose to keep the No-Call issue alive for their own reasons, that's on those outlets and not on Payton. 

If any of you guys have the Radio.com app on your phones, you should listen in to WWL 870 AM out of New Orleans. It's the station on which the Saints' games are broadcast, but it's not 24-hour sports. News talk with local hosts all day, sports in the evenings. The runaway #1 AM station locally. Anyway, even during the day, during the local talk and the political shows ... the station has been using a montage of audio about the No-Call as their bumper "music" coming out of commercial breaks. I listen to the station about an hour a day while driving around -- the No-Call is still either the #1 or #2 topic on all programming -- even the non-sports content. I expect to hear more this afternoon.

Edited by Doug B

GoBirds, how did Payton's press conference get on your radar, anyway? Is ESPN carrying it or something?

If a national outlet has picked it up ... it IS news for better or worse. Even if it's non-impactful, no-consequence news, the fact that the No-Call keeps getting dredged up again and again and again ... that's a black eye for the league.

Kevin Seifert‏
@SeifertESPN

“Limited coaches’ challenges for incorrect judgment calls" with a penalty if initial call stands. A possible @NFL compromise on reviewing pass interference, via @AdamSchefter

Link

NFL likely to consider judgment challenge with penalty disincentive

As a possible solution to avoid the type of missed call that occurred in the NFC Championship Game, the NFL is expected to consider a plan that would allow limited coaches' challenges for incorrect judgment calls that also could include a penalty or time run off if the coach is wrong, per a league source.

It is a proposal designed to get those against allowing coaches' challenges of officials' judgment calls more supportive of the potential rule change. By creating a disincentive or penalty to even question a judgment call, it would be used rarely and wouldn't be abused -- at least that's the hope.

One source predicted the competition committee will figure out a way to get a rule like this passed, especially considering that it has the attention of NFL commissioner Roger Goodell.

Just like "what is a catch?" became a hot-button item last offseason, what coaches can challenges will be a hot-button item this offseason.

There will be other proposals the competition committee considers, but this one seems to have some traction, per a source.

15 minutes ago, Doug B said:

GoBirds, how did Payton's press conference get on your radar, anyway? Is ESPN carrying it or something?

If a national outlet has picked it up ... it IS news for better or worse. Even if it's non-impactful, no-consequence news, the fact that the No-Call keeps getting dredged up again and again and again ... that's a black eye for the league.

Yep ESPN carried it. In Sean's Netflix and Ice Cream time which he mentioned he needs to watch the move Frozen my kids have......there's a song for him. 

Just now, GoBirds said:

Yep ESPN carried it. In Sean's Netflix and Ice Cream time which he mentioned he needs to watch the move Frozen my kids have......there's a song for him

Not likely, I don't think. I mean, Payton and everyone else who cares about the Saints will carry on and live life -- but no one in that category will ever forget.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bicycle_seat_sniffer said:

please, the saints choked it. 

the NFL choked it

any belief that the no call wouldn't have won the game for the Saints is Rams fandom, Saints hate, or foolishness 

On 1/20/2019 at 9:16 PM, Steeler said:

I understand you position better now , but I don't think you can say the play was allowed by the ref... I think it was just an egregiously bad call.  Either way, I don't care to argue so I'll bow out of the thread.

Horrible. In fact first thing that came to my mind was that the game was fixed. I'm sure I'm not alone there.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, leave a whisper said:

any belief that the no call wouldn't have won the game for the Saints is Rams fandom, Saints hate, or foolishness 

It probably would have won them the game.  

2 hours ago, Doug B said:

Not likely, I don't think. I mean, Payton and everyone else who cares about the Saints will carry on and live life -- but no one in that category will ever forget.

Let....it....______!!!!!!

Dear Saints Fans, NO Senators and Saints Players the NFL Has a message for your Courtesy of Frozen 

Let It Go Let It Go

8 hours ago, GoBirds said:

Yep ESPN carried it. In Sean's Netflix and Ice Cream time which he mentioned he needs to watch the move Frozen my kids have......there's a song for him. 

Gonna say I'm guilty of actually liking that Song thanks to my Friends kids.

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1

6 hours ago, Ignoratio Elenchi said:

It probably would have won them the game.  

The refs said it was Dallas ball and no clear recovery on a fumble to start the game that had 5 Eagles on the ball. There was a PI on Dallas Goedert that almost cost an Eagles TD but they scored anyway. Horrible calls happen. Saints got a bounty of calls go their way during the year they won the SB. On 2nd down the Drive before the bad call for the Saints they got away with a blatant Facemask between the 10 and EZ on Goff that should've reset the downs. LAR had to settle for a FG instead. But how quickly Saints fans forget about that. Maybe Saints players and coaches should've worried about being more prepared for the game rather then Dog Masks or what gets other teams motivated. The Saints got a lot of calls go their way that screwed the Eagles over but you don't hear them and their fans blaming the refs for losing. Yeah the call sucks but constant complaining about it makes you look like a dam sore loser. no better then Tom Brady not shaking the opposing QB's hands after he loses his SB to the NFC East. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, leave a whisper said:

pretending that no call wouldn't have been the game clincher/ win for the Saints is turning a blind eye to logic  

spin away ..... but  this SB comes with an asterisk 

Pretending that the Refs didn't miss a facemask call Also is NO doing bounties again? Defender stepped on a Rams players head

Refs missed several calls that would've helped the Rams too

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, DJackson10 said:

Gonna say I'm guilty of actually liking that Song thanks to my Friends kids.

I went two years of having to listen to it every day. It was my daughter’s favorite. It’s a great soundtrack. After 25000 times though it got old. Thankfully she got into Moana and then The Greatest Showman. But even better yet, she digs my heavy metal LOL!

• Love 1

1 hour ago, DJackson10 said:

Dear Saints Fans, NO Senators and Saints Players the NFL Has a message for your Courtesy of Frozen 

Let It Go Let It Go

If this had happened to the Eagles, it would probably lead to a separate forum.    

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Zigg said:

If this had happened to the Eagles, it would probably lead to a separate forum.    

Nah we would've just moved on and not act like a bunch of babies. 

• Thanks 1
  • Laughing 1

2 hours ago, DJackson10 said:

Let It Go Let It Go

Yet Vikings fans are still crying from 2009 and nothing.

1 minute ago, DJackson10 said:

Nah we would've just moved on and not act like a bunch of babies. 

Puhlease

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Shawnky said:

Yet Vikings fans are still crying from 2009 and nothing.

Raiders fans still have the tuck rule 

11 hours ago, DJackson10 said:

The refs said it was Dallas ball and no clear recovery on a fumble to start the game that had 5 Eagles on the ball. There was a PI on Dallas Goedert that almost cost an Eagles TD but they scored anyway. Horrible calls happen. Saints got a bounty of calls go their way during the year they won the SB. On 2nd down the Drive before the bad call for the Saints they got away with a blatant Facemask between the 10 and EZ on Goff that should've reset the downs. LAR had to settle for a FG instead. But how quickly Saints fans forget about that. Maybe Saints players and coaches should've worried about being more prepared for the game rather then Dog Masks or what gets other teams motivated. The Saints got a lot of calls go their way that screwed the Eagles over but you don't hear them and their fans blaming the refs for losing. Yeah the call sucks but constant complaining about it makes you look like a dam sore loser. no better then Tom Brady not shaking the opposing QB's hands after he loses his SB to the NFC East

Ya, because THAT is what Brady is known for. I don't understand some of u guys, u got the SB win and yet u hear this classless crap like "we have FUN on our team" blah blah (have fun wathing the sb on tv Lane (u dick). Speaking of constant complaining let it go man, did Mahomes find Brady after the afccc, no, does anyone care no. U won the sb stop looking for reason to trash brady and enjoy the moment at the top u had. Above all make sure you have fun:)  

9 hours ago, DJackson10 said:

Raiders fans still have the tuck rule 

And THAT would get my vote for worst/blown (borderline "fixed") call in NFL history.

• Like 1