Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Faust

*** OFFICIAL SUPER BOWL LIII Thread - PATRIOTS vs. RAMS ***

Recommended Posts

:lol: at Eagles fans somehow trying to twist their way back into relevance. The run is over guys, the King Is back on his throne :D 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, bicycle_seat_sniffer said:

Dude seems to be a troll no matter thd topic.....Edelman wss uncoverable....must have been the new roids he was on

lol I love how I'm the only person who ever does research around here and because of that I'm a troll.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ooh ... didn't see this live yesterday:

Nickell Robey-Coleman has fewer words after loss

Quote

 

He also gave a “Yes” when asked if his early unnecessary roughness penalty was a clean hit, and then when asked if he got an explanation from officials he said” “No.”

On whether it was a make-up call for the helmet-to-helmet which wasn’t called a week ago, he said a bit more.

“I don’t know,” he said. “I really don’t know to be honest with you.”

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Anarchy99 said:

So what's the message? Don't have big games with teams from LA in them? Don't let NE in the SB for the 12th time? Tell the teams they can't play defense because people liked a 54-51 game better?

NFL has been doing this for years.  Would not surprise me if these ratings lead to the owners going even further toward “don’t even look at the offensive player” territory.

Sad...felt like up to this point there was some fan momentum toward dialing things back toward the defense a bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Arodin said:

NFL has been doing this for years.  Would not surprise me if these ratings lead to the owners going even further toward “don’t even look at the offensive player” territory.

Sad...felt like up to this point there was some fan momentum toward dialing things back toward the defense a bit.

The NFL has to make up its mind. Pass interference, defensive holding, fouls against the QB in the pocket, etc. shouldn't be used like a tuning dial to tilt games towards one or the other of offense/defense. Pick a lane and stay in it.

And the helmet-to-helmet stuff? Same deal. If "player safety" and concussions are such a concern ... do it like the NCAA and legislate helmet-to-helmet from the booth all game long. On-field officials can't catch the "bang-bang" helmet hits? Do it from the booth.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, [icon] said:

:lol: at Eagles fans somehow trying to twist their way back into relevance. The run is over guys, the King Is back on his throne :D 

I was listening to sports talk in Philly today (my mistake) and there were quite a few fans and sportstalk hosts who were claiming that the Eagles are still the champs because apparently last nights game wasn’t worthy of a Super Bowl.  And I think they were being serious.   :oldunsure: 

  • Laughing 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, kyoun1e said:

Flores as well. Apparently, this was his defensive game plan.

Gonna miss him. And now really not liking the fact he's staying in the division.

Serious question. The whole game I saw BB standing on the sidelines watching while Flores was the guy calling in the defensive plays. Yet every time someone mentions the NE defense, its all about the Guru. I'm not saying that BB isn't great. But doesn't actually implementing the greatest game plan take as much skill as designing it? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, tjnc09 said:

lol I love how I'm the only person who ever does research around here and because of that I'm a troll.  

yeah, see here is the thing, its your I know more than everyone attitude that's the trolling, and your work in the jaguars thread speaks for itself.....that act has been done before and its tiresome.  and you are not the only one who does "research"

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, simsarge said:

Serious question. The whole game I saw BB standing on the sidelines watching while Flores was the guy calling in the defensive plays. Yet every time someone mentions the NE defense, its all about the Guru. I'm not saying that BB isn't great. But doesn't actually implementing the greatest game plan take as much skill as designing it? 

the thing with that is, you need to watch the behind the scenes and mic'd up kind of stuff, even when Matt Patricia was there, BB was always going over to him and going over things, just cuz the TV didn't show him going over stuff with Flores didn't mean it didn't happen.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got it. The things I miss while being spoon fed the game. 

Anyone have a good tell all about the behind the scenes stuff like that? Sort of like Hard Knocks not edited to play out like the Bachelor/Big Brother? 

I know this is off topic. Sorry. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, bicycle_seat_sniffer said:

yeah, see here is the thing, its your I know more than everyone attitude that's the trolling, and your work in the jaguars thread speaks for itself.....that act has been done before and its tiresome.  and you are not the only one who does "research"

 

Right, when I said the Jaguars were fake good and everyone called me a troll then too.  It was hilarious how they regressed this year to being terrible again just like I predicted.  Made some good $ fading that garbage team.

Did you want to provide us an update on the Seahawks comparison?  

Edited by tjnc09

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seahawks: historically great, Super Bowl winning team

Jaguars: mediocre team that played the easiest schedule in football last year

I guess those are the same according to some 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, tjnc09 said:

Right, when I said the Jaguars were fake good and everyone called me a troll then too.  It was hilarious how they regressed this year to being terrible again just like I predicted.  Made some good $ fading that garbage team.

Did you want to provide us an update on the Seahawks comparison?  

my comparison was you could see the seahawk defense building from good young players,  just like the jax def.....however jax is missing a very important piece, a competent QB, everyone knew this. don't break your arm trying to pat your own back......

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Grigs Allmoon said:

C'mon... Gilmore turned his head after he had no shot to do anything else - after he had already grabbed Cooks' arm... He was a spectator by the time he turned his head.

No way that is called PI; especially in a SB where they let them play a little.  Cooks should have caught the ball.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just saw this:

The Los Angeles Rams were the second-highest scoring offense during the 2018 NFL regular season, so there's no way anyone could have predicted such a poor offensive performance in Super Bowl LIII, right?

Apparently, one lucky fan was bold enough to do just that and bet $250 at 400/1 odds on the Rams scoring exactly three points. The bettor guessed correctly and ended up with a cool $100,000 to show for it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Elevencents said:

Just saw this:

The Los Angeles Rams were the second-highest scoring offense during the 2018 NFL regular season, so there's no way anyone could have predicted such a poor offensive performance in Super Bowl LIII, right?

Apparently, one lucky fan was bold enough to do just that and bet $250 at 400/1 odds on the Rams scoring exactly three points. The bettor guessed correctly and ended up with a cool $100,000 to show for it.

The ultimate sucker bet pays off!   Reminds me of the idiots on the blackjack table who constantly bet huge on the side bets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, fred_1_15301 said:

The ultimate sucker bet pays off!   Reminds me of the idiots on the blackjack table who constantly bet huge on the side bets.

Man I can’t imagine the feeling as the Rams are driving and Goff chucks up that duck. Dude must have lost his mind. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Elevencents said:

Man I can’t imagine the feeling as the Rams are driving and Goff chucks up that duck. Dude must have lost his mind. 

Or how about the feeling when Mr. clutch kicker lines up for a desperation FG in the final seconds of the game?

  • Like 1
  • Thinking 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Bronco Billy said:

Early ratings:

 

Lowest rated SB in the last 10 years (despite having the teams from major East and West coast markets).

LA ratings lower than the narional average - yeah, LA deserved yet another shot at not one but two teams.

Helllllooooooo!!! NFL!  Are you paying attention?  You’re being sent a clear message.  (yes, I did not watch any of the game or halftime but did enjoy with relish the responses in this thread)

Maybe it was because of bitter Saints fans boycotting the game.

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/national/boycotting-saints-fans-may-have-contributed-to-low-super-bowl-ratings

100+ million watching still Aints bad.  Aints bad, get it?  😋

https://deadline.com/2019/02/super-bowl-ratings-patriots-rams-marron-5-worlds-best-cbs-1202548893/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/4/2019 at 1:50 AM, Doctor Detroit said:

The Chiefs weren't in the SB because a dude lined up offsides, PERIOD. Saints weren't  in because of an all-time bad call. PERIOD. 

Eat it guy who makes no difference to the conversation . :bye:

Great teams don't do stupid #### when it matters most, like lineup offsides on a critical play. An all time bad call didn't make Drew Brees throw an interception in OT either. You're an idiot, PERIOD. :lol::lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Chiefs and Rams were the two highest scoring teams in the highest scoring season in NFL history.

Time it took them each to score a point vs the Patriots in the postseason:

Chiefs: 32:04 minutes

Rams: 42:49 minutes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, devouredbychaos said:

The Chiefs and Rams were the two highest scoring teams in the highest scoring season in NFL history.

Time it took them each to score a point vs the Patriots in the postseason:

Chiefs: 32:04 minutes

Rams: 42:49 minutes

Offense by DVOA: 

1) Chiefs 

2) Rams 

3) Chargers 

Total Postseason 1st Half points by 3 top offenses (in a record setting season): 7 

Belichick/Flores put together what might be the best post season defensive game plans ever. There may have been better overall defensive performances... but not by what was a mid-pack defensive unit in the regular season. 

Masterful coaching coupled with defensive players taking it to the next level in the postseason. 

Edited by [icon]
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, [icon] said:

Offense by DVOA: 

1) Chiefs 

2) Rams 

3) Chargers 

Total Postseason 1st Half points by 3 top offenses (in a record setting season): 7 

Belichick/Flores put together what might be the best post season defensive game plans ever. There may have been better overall defensive performances... but not by what was a mid-pack defensive unit in the regular season. 

Masterful coaching coupled with defensive players taking it to the next level in the postseason. 

The Pats defense should've been the MVP(s)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, espnespn said:

There's a lot of people who have been turned off by the NFL in recent times......imo, its mainly the wishy washy handling of player punishment, their poor handling of CTE over the years, the Kapernick thing, and changing of rules to favor offensive scoring......they've become a bloated bully.

 

To clarify, I'm not stating my stance on the above, just pointing out a reason or perception as to why people are turning away from the NFL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/4/2019 at 10:53 AM, CletiusMaximus said:

It was a great display of OL/DL play and alot of fun for fans who enjoy line play (there aren't many). Pats DL interior pressure was the MVP, and its great to see a team close out a big game by running the ball. 

Agree.

Like them or hate them...you have to be impressed with their results.  Could've, would've, etc., they should actually have 2 more SBs in their coffers.  That's debatable, I get it, because they should have lost vs. SEA and ATL but those Giants games were in the bag.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, [icon] said:

Offense by DVOA: 

1) Chiefs 

2) Rams 

3) Chargers 

Total Postseason 1st Half points by 3 top offenses (in a record setting season): 7 

Belichick/Flores put together what might be the best post season defensive game plans ever. There may have been better overall defensive performances... but not by what was a mid-pack defensive unit in the regular season. 

Masterful coaching coupled with defensive players taking it to the next level in the postseason. 

My distain for the patriots makes me want to argue this but truth is I can’t. Caps tipped to Belichick and crew for what they pulled off all throughout the playoffs. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not to take anything away from the Patriots D in the Super Bowl, and not adding a "but" because I'm really not taking away the credit they deserve. I just want to add that they also took advantage of Goff by making him hesitate an extra beat or two. Some of that was mixing up schemes, but he had Cook wide open for a score and he was too late. That wasn't great defense. That was rattling a young guy with great defense for so long, that when an opportunity presented itself he couldn't take advantage. NE got away with getting beat because they had rattled the young guy. 

That hesitation also made him take a sack that could have taken away their only points. Zeuerlein bailed him out, but it could have been a shutout. 

 

If Goff makes that throw, we could be talking about Brady being 5-4 in Super Bowls. The defense got in his head, so even when they didn't have a good defensive play...it ended up being a good defensive play. 

Edited by Neil Beaufort Zod

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/4/2019 at 6:02 PM, simsarge said:

Serious question. The whole game I saw BB standing on the sidelines watching while Flores was the guy calling in the defensive plays. Yet every time someone mentions the NE defense, its all about the Guru. I'm not saying that BB isn't great. But doesn't actually implementing the greatest game plan take as much skill as designing it? 

Not totally answering your question.  But Flores is listed as defensive play caller or something along those lines.  He is actually the defensive coordinator.  The Patriots protect the new guys (I think they did same with Patricia for a year or two) because Pats D stinks and there's no D Coordinator no one's going to blame Flores.  And he obviously gets enough of the  credit without being official D Coordinator since he's a head coach now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Neil Beaufort Zod said:

Not to take anything away from the Patriots D in the Super Bowl, and not adding a "but" because I'm really not taking away the credit they deserve. I just want to add that they also took advantage of Goff by making him hesitate an extra beat or two. Some of that was mixing up schemes, but he had Cook wide open for a score and he was too late. That wasn't great defense. That was rattling a young guy with great defense for so long, that when an opportunity presented itself he couldn't take advantage. NE got away with getting beat because they had rattled the young guy. 

That hesitation also made him take a sack that could have taken away their only points. Zeuerlein bailed him out, but it could have been a shutout. 

If Goff makes that throw, we could be talking about Brady being 5-4 in Super Bowls. The defense got in his head, so even when they didn't have a good defensive play...it ended up being a good defensive play. 

If the game plan was to confuse and rattle Goff and get him out of rhythm, and he missed an open receiver for all those reasons, wouldn’t that be an example of a good defensive play?

Similarly, in the Chiefs game, Mahomes was blitzed and hit and missed someone wide open for a TD. Isn’t that part of the reason teams blitz? To force an errant throw? But the narrative usually is the defense got lucky. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If ever a game went exactly like I thought it would there it was. I had NE winning by 11 as mentioned somewhere up there, they won by 10.  Belichick/Brady on a whole other level than the younguns.

What a bummer the Saints weren't here, they would have been a far better challenge.

There was one thing that had me..hmmm?  They didn't use James White enought, why?

They have a ton of draft picks, something like 12, so ..........

Oh yeah,  so tired of hearing.....they have no deep threat...Philip Dorsett who blow Josh Gordon away in any 40. 60, whatever,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Neil Beaufort Zod said:

Not to take anything away from the Patriots D in the Super Bowl, and not adding a "but" because I'm really not taking away the credit they deserve. I just want to add that they also took advantage of Goff by making him hesitate an extra beat or two. Some of that was mixing up schemes, but he had Cook wide open for a score and he was too late. That wasn't great defense. That was rattling a young guy with great defense for so long, that when an opportunity presented itself he couldn't take advantage. NE got away with getting beat because they had rattled the young guy. 

That hesitation also made him take a sack that could have taken away their only points. Zeuerlein bailed him out, but it could have been a shutout. 

 

If Goff makes that throw, we could be talking about Brady being 5-4 in Super Bowls. The defense got in his head, so even when they didn't have a good defensive play...it ended up being a good defensive play. 

Goff wasn't making throws in this game, very uneven season for him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Anarchy99 said:

If the game plan was to confuse and rattle Goff and get him out of rhythm, and he missed an open receiver for all those reasons, wouldn’t that be an example of a good defensive play?

Similarly, in the Chiefs game, Mahomes was blitzed and hit and missed someone wide open for a TD. Isn’t that part of the reason teams blitz? To force an errant throw? But the narrative usually is the defense got lucky. 

Well, yeah. My last sentence said even when it's not a good defensive play it becomes a good defensive play. I meant that there were opportunities, and they rattled a young quarterback so he missed them when they came up. Those plays weren't good looks for the defense, but they earned a cushion by throwing him off mentally. I don't think Brees would miss a play like that. And while he threw a pick in NFC championship OT, I don't think he'd have thrown up that duck in NE territory. I think Lutz gets to kick a FG there. 

You can stop Brees but he'll still take advantage of a good play if you give it to him. But maybe they'd play him differently knowing that. Bottom line is I think they used Goff against the Rams, so even when the Rams had a shot to win, their young QB couldn't take advantage. 

Edited by Neil Beaufort Zod

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/6/2019 at 1:10 AM, Neil Beaufort Zod said:

Not to take anything away from the Patriots D in the Super Bowl, and not adding a "but" because I'm really not taking away the credit they deserve. I just want to add that they also took advantage of Goff by making him hesitate an extra beat or two. Some of that was mixing up schemes, but he had Cook wide open for a score and he was too late. That wasn't great defense. That was rattling a young guy with great defense for so long, that when an opportunity presented itself he couldn't take advantage. NE got away with getting beat because they had rattled the young guy. 

That hesitation also made him take a sack that could have taken away their only points. Zeuerlein bailed him out, but it could have been a shutout. 

 

If Goff makes that throw, we could be talking about Brady being 5-4 in Super Bowls. The defense got in his head, so even when they didn't have a good defensive play...it ended up being a good defensive play. 

7-0 against playoff teams this season. Beat the #1, #2, and #3 ranked teams in DVOA in the postseason. Facing Philip Rivers, Patrick Mahomes and then Jared Goff, the Patriots defense allowed them to complete just 50 percent of their passes combined (60-of-120).

Not much anyone can say about that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We'd have seen a very different SB if the refs threw a flag in the Rams saints NFCCG. Can't imagine NOS being held to less than 13 points.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bossman said:

We'd have seen a very different SB if the refs threw a flag in the Rams saints NFCCG. Can't imagine NOS being held to less than 13 points.

Maybe, hard to believe Bree's would have been as rattled as a 3rd year 24 year old QB so there is an argument to be made.  I will say though 99% of people prior to the SB would have had a hard time believing the 2nd highest scoring team this year and highest scoring team the past 2 years combined would have been held to less than 13 points (100% to 3pts).  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bossman said:

We'd have seen a very different SB if the refs threw a flag in the Rams saints NFCCG. Can't imagine NOS being held to less than 13 points.

Your guess is as good as anyone else's, but even if the Saints were able to score 13 points, it's probable that they would not have held NE to only 13 points. I've watched the game several times in several recap shows. The NE defense came to play. They were mean, they were nasty, they hit like trucks, and they were quicker than usual. Who knows if that effort would have translated against the Saints. But if Brees had as little time, got hit on every other play, and the secondary was on the receivers like they were against the Rams, I'm not sure the Saints would have scored much either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Anarchy99 said:

Your guess is as good as anyone else's, but even if the Saints were able to score 13 points, it's probable that they would not have held NE to only 13 points. I've watched the game several times in several recap shows. The NE defense came to play. They were mean, they were nasty, they hit like trucks, and they were quicker than usual. Who knows if that effort would have translated against the Saints. But if Brees had as little time, got hit on every other play, and the secondary was on the receivers like they were against the Rams, I'm not sure the Saints would have scored much either.

Coming from an Eagles fan here, you can only play who’s in front of you. I’ll always acknowledge that the Eagles were extremely fortunate not to face the Saints and Brees last year, instead drawing the inept Keenum led Vikings in the NFCC. It is what it is. Congrats to the Pats, they dominated the children from LA. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kinda ridiculous stat:
Brady has a better win percentage facing #1 & #2 seeds in the playoffs (.714) than: 

1) Montana Reg Season (.713) 
2) Manning Reg Season (.702)
3) Bradshaw Reg Season (.677) 
4) Young Reg Season (.657)

So, Brady now has a better win rate against elite postseason completion than the other best QBs did in their entire careers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, [icon] said:

Kinda ridiculous stat:
Brady has a better win percentage facing #1 & #2 seeds in the playoffs (.714) than: 

1) Montana Reg Season (.713) 
2) Manning Reg Season (.702)
3) Bradshaw Reg Season (.677) 
4) Young Reg Season (.657)

So, Brady now has a better win rate against elite postseason completion than the other best QBs did in their entire careers. 

Or is it Belichick?   😉 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, [icon] said:

Kinda ridiculous stat:
Brady has a better win percentage facing #1 & #2 seeds in the playoffs (.714) than: 

1) Montana Reg Season (.713) 
2) Manning Reg Season (.702)
3) Bradshaw Reg Season (.677) 
4) Young Reg Season (.657)

So, Brady now has a better win rate against elite postseason completion than the other best QBs did in their entire careers. 

What would their completion percentages be if they played today and never had to worry about getting absolutely creamed well after they threw the ball? Several times a game.

Its not even the same game. 

Edited by STEADYMOBBIN 22
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/5/2019 at 1:03 PM, Bad_Mo said:

Agree.

Like them or hate them...you have to be impressed with their results.  Could've, would've, etc., they should actually have 2 more SBs in their coffers.  That's debatable, I get it, because they should have lost vs. SEA and ATL but those Giants games were in the bag.

Giants drove down and they covered Burress with Ellis Hobbs single coverage. They had almost lost to the Giants in Wk 16 that year. So what about Tyree? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:

What would their completion percentages be if they played today and never had to worry about getting absolutely creamed well after they threw the ball? Several times a game.

Its not even the same game. 

Manning played in a different era? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, [icon] said:

Manning played in a different era? 

Than Bradshaw and Montana, absolutly. 

Brady is and has always been better than Manning. No surprise there. It also isn’t like its a significant gap. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/8/2019 at 9:24 AM, STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:

Than Bradshaw and Montana, absolutly. 

Brady is and has always been better than Manning. No surprise there. It also isn’t like its a significant gap. 

I think you should re-read the post... 

1) Pertainkng to precious “completion percentages” comment.. those are win percentages. 

2) Pertaining to “not a significant gap” comment... I would hope not. That’s comparing Brady’s win rate vs #1 & #2 seeds in the playoffs, vs the regular season win rate of the other best QBs in NFL history..... 

 

Hell, there shouldn’t even be a gap at all... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.