What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL SUPER BOWL LIII Thread - PATRIOTS vs. RAMS *** (1 Viewer)

Early ratings:

Lowest rated SB in the last 10 years (despite having the teams from major East and West coast markets).

LA ratings lower than the narional average - yeah, LA deserved yet another shot at not one but two teams.

Helllllooooooo!!! NFL!  Are you paying attention?  You’re being sent a clear message.  (yes, I did not watch any of the game or halftime but did enjoy with relish the responses in this thread)
Maybe it was because of bitter Saints fans boycotting the game.

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/national/boycotting-saints-fans-may-have-contributed-to-low-super-bowl-ratings

100+ million watching still Aints bad.  Aints bad, get it?  😋

https://deadline.com/2019/02/super-bowl-ratings-patriots-rams-marron-5-worlds-best-cbs-1202548893/

The Chiefs weren't in the SB because a dude lined up offsides, PERIOD. Saints weren't  in because of an all-time bad call. PERIOD. 

Eat it guy who makes no difference to the conversation . :bye:
Great teams don't do stupid #### when it matters most, like lineup offsides on a critical play. An all time bad call didn't make Drew Brees throw an interception in OT either. You're an idiot, PERIOD. :lol: :lol:

The Chiefs and Rams were the two highest scoring teams in the highest scoring season in NFL history.

Time it took them each to score a point vs the Patriots in the postseason:

Chiefs: 32:04 minutes

Rams: 42:49 minutes

The Chiefs and Rams were the two highest scoring teams in the highest scoring season in NFL history.

Time it took them each to score a point vs the Patriots in the postseason:

Chiefs: 32:04 minutes

Rams: 42:49 minutes
Offense by DVOA: 

1) Chiefs 

2) Rams 

3) Chargers 

Total Postseason 1st Half points by 3 top offenses (in a record setting season): 7 

Belichick/Flores put together what might be the best post season defensive game plans ever. There may have been better overall defensive performances... but not by what was a mid-pack defensive unit in the regular season. 

Masterful coaching coupled with defensive players taking it to the next level in the postseason. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Offense by DVOA: 

1) Chiefs 

2) Rams 

3) Chargers 

Total Postseason 1st Half points by 3 top offenses (in a record setting season): 7 

Belichick/Flores put together what might be the best post season defensive game plans ever. There may have been better overall defensive performances... but not by what was a mid-pack defensive unit in the regular season. 

Masterful coaching coupled with defensive players taking it to the next level in the postseason. 
The Pats defense should've been the MVP(s)

There's a lot of people who have been turned off by the NFL in recent times......imo, its mainly the wishy washy handling of player punishment, their poor handling of CTE over the years, the Kapernick thing, and changing of rules to favor offensive scoring......they've become a bloated bully.

To clarify, I'm not stating my stance on the above, just pointing out a reason or perception as to why people are turning away from the NFL.

CletiusMaximus said:
It was a great display of OL/DL play and alot of fun for fans who enjoy line play (there aren't many). Pats DL interior pressure was the MVP, and its great to see a team close out a big game by running the ball. 
Agree.

Like them or hate them...you have to be impressed with their results.  Could've, would've, etc., they should actually have 2 more SBs in their coffers.  That's debatable, I get it, because they should have lost vs. SEA and ATL but those Giants games were in the bag.

Offense by DVOA: 

1) Chiefs 

2) Rams 

3) Chargers 

My distain for the patriots makes me want to argue this but truth is I can’t. Caps tipped to Belichick and crew for what they pulled off all throughout the playoffs. 

Not to take anything away from the Patriots D in the Super Bowl, and not adding a "but" because I'm really not taking away the credit they deserve. I just want to add that they also took advantage of Goff by making him hesitate an extra beat or two. Some of that was mixing up schemes, but he had Cook wide open for a score and he was too late. That wasn't great defense. That was rattling a young guy with great defense for so long, that when an opportunity presented itself he couldn't take advantage. NE got away with getting beat because they had rattled the young guy. 

That hesitation also made him take a sack that could have taken away their only points. Zeuerlein bailed him out, but it could have been a shutout. 

If Goff makes that throw, we could be talking about Brady being 5-4 in Super Bowls. The defense got in his head, so even when they didn't have a good defensive play...it ended up being a good defensive play. 

Serious question. The whole game I saw BB standing on the sidelines watching while Flores was the guy calling in the defensive plays. Yet every time someone mentions the NE defense, its all about the Guru. I'm not saying that BB isn't great. But doesn't actually implementing the greatest game plan take as much skill as designing it? 
Not totally answering your question.  But Flores is listed as defensive play caller or something along those lines.  He is actually the defensive coordinator.  The Patriots protect the new guys (I think they did same with Patricia for a year or two) because Pats D stinks and there's no D Coordinator no one's going to blame Flores.  And he obviously gets enough of the  credit without being official D Coordinator since he's a head coach now.

Not to take anything away from the Patriots D in the Super Bowl, and not adding a "but" because I'm really not taking away the credit they deserve. I just want to add that they also took advantage of Goff by making him hesitate an extra beat or two. Some of that was mixing up schemes, but he had Cook wide open for a score and he was too late. That wasn't great defense. That was rattling a young guy with great defense for so long, that when an opportunity presented itself he couldn't take advantage. NE got away with getting beat because they had rattled the young guy. 

That hesitation also made him take a sack that could have taken away their only points. Zeuerlein bailed him out, but it could have been a shutout. 

If Goff makes that throw, we could be talking about Brady being 5-4 in Super Bowls. The defense got in his head, so even when they didn't have a good defensive play...it ended up being a good defensive play. 
If the game plan was to confuse and rattle Goff and get him out of rhythm, and he missed an open receiver for all those reasons, wouldn’t that be an example of a good defensive play?

Similarly, in the Chiefs game, Mahomes was blitzed and hit and missed someone wide open for a TD. Isn’t that part of the reason teams blitz? To force an errant throw? But the narrative usually is the defense got lucky. 

If ever a game went exactly like I thought it would there it was. I had NE winning by 11 as mentioned somewhere up there, they won by 10.  Belichick/Brady on a whole other level than the younguns.

What a bummer the Saints weren't here, they would have been a far better challenge.

There was one thing that had me..hmmm?  They didn't use James White enought, why?

They have a ton of draft picks, something like 12, so ..........

Oh yeah,  so tired of hearing.....they have no deep threat...Philip Dorsett who blow Josh Gordon away in any 40. 60, whatever,

Goff wasn't making throws in this game, very uneven season for him. 

If the game plan was to confuse and rattle Goff and get him out of rhythm, and he missed an open receiver for all those reasons, wouldn’t that be an example of a good defensive play?

Similarly, in the Chiefs game, Mahomes was blitzed and hit and missed someone wide open for a TD. Isn’t that part of the reason teams blitz? To force an errant throw? But the narrative usually is the defense got lucky. 
Well, yeah. My last sentence said even when it's not a good defensive play it becomes a good defensive play. I meant that there were opportunities, and they rattled a young quarterback so he missed them when they came up. Those plays weren't good looks for the defense, but they earned a cushion by throwing him off mentally. I don't think Brees would miss a play like that. And while he threw a pick in NFC championship OT, I don't think he'd have thrown up that duck in NE territory. I think Lutz gets to kick a FG there. 

You can stop Brees but he'll still take advantage of a good play if you give it to him. But maybe they'd play him differently knowing that. Bottom line is I think they used Goff against the Rams, so even when the Rams had a shot to win, their young QB couldn't take advantage. 

7-0 against playoff teams this season. Beat the #1, #2, and #3 ranked teams in DVOA in the postseason. Facing Philip Rivers, Patrick Mahomes and then Jared Goff, the Patriots defense allowed them to complete just 50 percent of their passes combined (60-of-120).

Not much anyone can say about that.

We'd have seen a very different SB if the refs threw a flag in the Rams saints NFCCG. Can't imagine NOS being held to less than 13 points.

We'd have seen a very different SB if the refs threw a flag in the Rams saints NFCCG. Can't imagine NOS being held to less than 13 points.
Maybe, hard to believe Bree's would have been as rattled as a 3rd year 24 year old QB so there is an argument to be made.  I will say though 99% of people prior to the SB would have had a hard time believing the 2nd highest scoring team this year and highest scoring team the past 2 years combined would have been held to less than 13 points (100% to 3pts).  

Your guess is as good as anyone else's, but even if the Saints were able to score 13 points, it's probable that they would not have held NE to only 13 points. I've watched the game several times in several recap shows. The NE defense came to play. They were mean, they were nasty, they hit like trucks, and they were quicker than usual. Who knows if that effort would have translated against the Saints. But if Brees had as little time, got hit on every other play, and the secondary was on the receivers like they were against the Rams, I'm not sure the Saints would have scored much either.

Your guess is as good as anyone else's, but even if the Saints were able to score 13 points, it's probable that they would not have held NE to only 13 points. I've watched the game several times in several recap shows. The NE defense came to play. They were mean, they were nasty, they hit like trucks, and they were quicker than usual. Who knows if that effort would have translated against the Saints. But if Brees had as little time, got hit on every other play, and the secondary was on the receivers like they were against the Rams, I'm not sure the Saints would have scored much either.
Coming from an Eagles fan here, you can only play who’s in front of you. I’ll always acknowledge that the Eagles were extremely fortunate not to face the Saints and Brees last year, instead drawing the inept Keenum led Vikings in the NFCC. It is what it is. Congrats to the Pats, they dominated the children from LA. 

Kinda ridiculous stat:
Brady has a better win percentage facing #1 & #2 seeds in the playoffs (.714) than: 

1) Montana Reg Season (.713) 
2) Manning Reg Season (.702)
3) Bradshaw Reg Season (.677) 
4) Young Reg Season (.657)

So, Brady now has a better win rate against elite postseason completion than the other best QBs did in their entire careers. 

Kinda ridiculous stat:
Brady has a better win percentage facing #1 & #2 seeds in the playoffs (.714) than: 

So, Brady now has a better win rate against elite postseason completion than the other best QBs did in their entire careers. 
Or is it Belichick?   😉 

Kinda ridiculous stat:

What would their completion percentages be if they played today and never had to worry about getting absolutely creamed well after they threw the ball? Several times a game.

Its not even the same game. 

Agree.

Like them or hate them...you have to be impressed with their results.  Could've, would've, etc., they should actually have 2 more SBs in their coffers.  That's debatable, I get it, because they should have lost vs. SEA and ATL but those Giants games were in the bag.
Giants drove down and they covered Burress with Ellis Hobbs single coverage. They had almost lost to the Giants in Wk 16 that year. So what about Tyree? 

Than Bradshaw and Montana, absolutly. 

Brady is and has always been better than Manning. No surprise there. It also isn’t like its a significant gap. 
I think you should re-read the post... 

1) Pertainkng to precious “completion percentages” comment.. those are win percentages. 

2) Pertaining to “not a significant gap” comment... I would hope not. That’s comparing Brady’s win rate vs #1 & #2 seeds in the playoffs, vs the regular season win rate of the other best QBs in NFL history..... 

Hell, there shouldn’t even be a gap at all... 

Quite possibly the worst Super Bowl I have ever seen. Gotta respect Brady, but this one made it clear that it really is the genius of Bill B that is behind the majority of the Pats' success. Well that and the fact that they went 3-1 without Brady in 2016 and then 11-5 with Matt Cassel of all people.

It also sucks that the Rams had major injuries to both Gurley and Kupp, but that's the way it goes sometimes. Goff was too dependent on Kupp last season, and when he went down, the Rams really started to struggle. Gurley's injury started to play a bigger role because Kupp was out too. Thankfully they got CJ to help rescue them, but losing Kupp was huge. I hope he can stay healthy this year and that Goff learns to lean on other players. Well that and the Rams really need to teach other players how to play in the slot. Versatility is so key now in the NFL.

Quite possibly the worst Super Bowl I have ever seen. Gotta respect Brady, but this one made it clear that it really is the genius of Bill B that is behind the majority of the Pats' success. Well that and the fact that they went 3-1 without Brady in 2016 and then 11-5 with Matt Cassel of all people.

It also sucks that the Rams had major injuries to both Gurley and Kupp, but that's the way it goes sometimes. Goff was too dependent on Kupp last season, and when he went down, the Rams really started to struggle. Gurley's injury started to play a bigger role because Kupp was out too. Thankfully they got CJ to help rescue them, but losing Kupp was huge. I hope he can stay healthy this year and that Goff learns to lean on other players. Well that and the Rams really need to teach other players how to play in the slot. Versatility is so key now in the NFL.
Agreed completely.  These 2 things along with giving Belichick 2 weeks to prepare for an opponent is huge. 

the lone star said:

I've seen numerous Super Bowl blow-outs that were a snooze fest by the 2nd quarter.   I can appreciate a defensive battle and the respective game plans of Belichick and Wade Phillips were exceptional.  Overall, the game could have hinged on a play or two, so IMO the drama was there.  I get that people would have liked to see a 54-51 Rams/Chiefs style shoot-out but even a rematch of those two might have become more conservative under the bigger stage.

I have a huge level of respect for BB.  But I wouldn't use one game to judge the contribution of Brady.  You only have to look at the previous game for Brady's heroics in the AFC Championship.  It is unlikely that a Matt Cassell caliber guy wins that game.

Gurley and Kupp are great players and, of course, one would like their best players available.   But, overall, the Rams do have good depth on offense.  I think a major factor in that game was actually Goff's level of experience.   And Belichick made it very hard on the young QB.

This Pats fan is more of a Belichick guy than a Brady guy, but let's not forget what Brady did in the losing effort against the Eagles.

Let alone the 28-3 game.

The Rams were built to stop the pass and run play action, so the Pats ran the ball and stopped the run.  Pretty basic stuff imo.

Users who are viewing this thread