What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is it time for every penalty/call to be reviewed/reviewable? (1 Viewer)

OrtonToOlsen

Footballguy
We have the technology, we have the capability, we have the money...

Not to add more length to the game but why can’t there be an oversight committee at every game or “in New York”?

Not to add more length to the game but why can’t there be an oversight committee at every game or “in New York”?
I just mentioned that in another thread.  We need....Big Brother....overlooking everything.  If something like that happens and all the world sees it but the refs he can...HOLD IT. STOP. Then....that was a penalty now throw the flag and try and get out from being so damn blind....good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
You know what would be worse than the refs missing blatant calls like they did tonight? Having to waste 5 minutes watching 18 replays  and have them still get the calls wrong. I almost wish they’d get rid of replay altogether. 

I don't know how you are supposed to oversee all missed calls. Just the ones that everyone sees that come at the end of games?

It’s not even about pace for me anymore. I hate the fact that you can’t really react and celebrate right after a play anymore. You have to wait because on the twelfth replay, his toenail may have been out of bounds. Get off my lawn!
This, more than anything, is what has killed the love of football as anything other than a vehicle for fantasy games and sports betting.

At least for me, the loss of spontaneous joy in a good play was the end of a long-time love affair with the game on the field.

No on the "All to be reviewed" .. But there shouldn't be a limit on what can and what cannot be challenged. Judgement calls are judgement calls and if it is to close to call, much like catch/no catch, then the call stands..

But in the case of a blatant missed call(s), in this case TWO missed calls on one play. Then the coach should be able to challenge and risk his challenges and timeouts.

So, don't increase how many challenges a coach can call, just allow them to challenge calls on the field and let the coaches decide if it is worth losing a challenge/time out for..

Seems simple enough to me :shrug:

If the refs can miss the calls they messed yesterday (the play in new Orleans and the "roughing the passer" on Brady) I'm not sure there's any hope anyway.

Days like yesterday makes me happy that my team sucks too much to make the playoffs. I can't imagine how mad I'd be if my team lost on a call like that

Here’s your problem. 

Give each team one penalty challenge separate from other challenges. This will take the pressure off the horrible refs and put it on coach. 

Just give all non turnovers the ability to be challenged. More replay is not the answer. Wouldnt object to having more than 3 if the coach wins the first 3. 

I believe because of replay refs aren't as competent as they were before replay.  I think the league needs to start training refs better, or at least get back to the level they once were.  It seems refs just call anything now without really seeing it, because they know they can use replay as a crutch.

You know how you change things in the NFL?  I mean seriously change the travesty that the league has turned into?  Stop watching, stop going to games, and stop buying merchandise.  The only message the NFL is getting right now is that they can do anything they want to the game, and while fans may *****, those fans keep enriching the league.  There are plenty of other entertaiment venues.  Find one and give up the NFL until it changes in a positive way.

I believe because of replay refs aren't as competent as they were before replay.  I think the league needs to start training refs better, or at least get back to the level they once were.  It seems refs just call anything now without really seeing it, because they know they can use replay as a crutch.
Starting to believe that the game should largely be officiated from the booth anyway. Cameras give better and multiple angles, and can slow down the bang-bang plays when helpful to do so. On-field refs can take care of spotting the ball and a couple of other tasks (false starts, maybe holding?) ... otherwise, the booth refs would be both the first and the final word.

The game need not slow down at all. This could be done in very, very close to real time. Extend the play clock 5-10 seconds ... or have a 5-10 second 'freeze' on the game clock and play clock between every play. Or else give the booth refs the option to click a button and advance to the next play without a time freeze (plays where the outcome is obvious and there's really nothing to review).

I think the issue is that there are usually penalties on every play. Give up a long TD? Defense challenges that a pass rusher got held. Offense doesn’t get a first down on third down? One of the receivers got held at some point.

Look at the Pats game. On a KC TD, a Chiefs receiver had a pick that took out two defenders 8 yards down the field that sprung the RB for a TD. 

Maybe the solution is booth reviews on potential penalties only in the last two minutes and OT. Team challenges on penalties or non penalties could change the game even more than the occasional blatant bad call. 

the issue is that tv is too good so everyone at home can see exactly what happened almost right away.  i'm sure there were plenty of calls missed decades ago, but nobody knew because the video quality and camera angles weren't as good.

It works in soccer, but the stop and go nature of football doesn’t make it a good candidate, IMO.

In all seriousness, I don't necessarily think we need to review every call. However, there needs to be 2 zebras in a booth watching these things on the monitor and have a headset linked up to the ref to say "Hey there's no foul there" or "that was totally PI you need to throw the flag." Why they rely on just onfield reaction to call penalties is just as assinine as relying on a $20 metal chain and foam sticks to measure first downs.

I believe the rules make it harder to ref a game.  Just look at the 70's and 80's. You could punish the QB. Now the ref has to make judgments calls on simple hits to the QB. We also now have 'hitting a defenseless receiver' and other safety rules. All this makes it harder to make calls than it was decades ago. It's got to be hard to 'train' refs on judgment calls., especially when the game  moves so fast. Maybe they need to be able to admit when they get calls wrong more and pick up the flags. They all ref scared for their jobs and now that one actually got fired, it makes it worse. The refs simply did not want to make that call against the Rams at that point in the game.

It works in soccer, but the stop and go nature of football doesn’t make it a good candidate, IMO.
Football should be a better candidate for exactly that reason. Viewers would get accustomed to an extra 5-10 seconds between some plays, especially being that there won't be reviews between every play.

In all seriousness, I don't necessarily think we need to review every call. However, there needs to be 2 zebras in a booth watching these things on the monitor and have a headset linked up to the ref to say "Hey there's no foul there" or "that was totally PI you need to throw the flag." Why they rely on just onfield reaction to call penalties is just as assinine as relying on a $20 metal chain and foam sticks to measure first downs.
Yep. The league needs to get off this farce that they think is fooling everyone into thinking that their refs are great at the job. It's a tough job now. Admit it and make the changes necessary to over rule mistakes. Quit trying to act like the call is correct every time and start overturning bad calls.

Football should be a better candidate for exactly that reason. Viewers would get accustomed to an extra 5-10 seconds between some plays, especially being that there won't be reviews between every play.
True, but then a 3 hour game turns into 4 or worse. Plus the sheer volume of infractions that can take place on a play are ridiculous. For instance, on any single play, depending on the ref watching, there is at least one penalty, guaranteed.

I believe the rules make it harder to ref a game.  Just look at the 70's and 80's. You could punish the QB. Now the ref has to make judgments calls on simple hits to the QB. We also now have 'hitting a defenseless receiver' and other safety rules. All this makes it harder to make calls than it was decades ago.
Agree here.

It's got to be hard to 'train' refs on judgment calls., especially when the game moves so fast. Maybe they need to be able to admit when they get calls wrong more and pick up the flags. They all ref scared for their jobs and now that one actually got fired, it makes it worse. The refs simply did not want to make that call against the Rams at that point in the game.
Orton to Olsen nails it in the OP: "We have the technology, we have the capability, we have the money"

True, but then a 3 hour game turns into 4 or worse. Plus the sheer volume of infractions that can take place on a play are ridiculous. For instance, on any single play, depending on the ref watching, there is at least one penalty, guaranteed.
True, especially holding.

But you're not trying to catch the ticky-tack "goes on every play" stuff. You want to implement a mechanism to correct bad application of the rulebook in obvious situations.

But you're not trying to catch the ticky-tack "goes on every play" stuff. You want to implement a mechanism to correct bad application of the rulebook in obvious situations.
I tend to agree but then on non calls...it’s subjective as to whether it warrants a call.

True, but then a 3 hour game turns into 4 or worse. Plus the sheer volume of infractions that can take place on a play are ridiculous. For instance, on any single play, depending on the ref watching, there is at least one penalty, guaranteed.
Every play has penalties if you go by the rules. Defender cannot initiate contact after 5 yards? That rule is broken every pass play in every game every week.....except against NE where teams just let Edelman run wide open on 3rd & 10 over & over again. :lmao: :shrug:  Man, I want to punch these DCs right in the head.

I tend to agree but then on non calls...it’s subjective as to whether it warrants a call.
No doubt about it. The obvious stuff will be caught, though.

A lot of very similar arguments were made in the late 80s when instant replay began picking up steam. "Human element!" vs. "If you can get the call right, do it!". In 2019, the goal posts may be shifting, as it were. Booth refs wouldn't do a perfect job, and that's OK -- but they would do a markedly better job of getting calls right.

Yep. The league needs to get off this farce that they think is fooling everyone into thinking that their refs are great at the job. It's a tough job now. Admit it and make the changes necessary to over rule mistakes. Quit trying to act like the call is correct every time and start overturning bad calls.
They already huddle up to try to get the call right on  the field with the officials. Add an eye in the sky to the huddle at least. 

PI and Roughing the passer would be the most obvious situations to have an extra set of eyes since they are awarded the most yards.

Yeah, I hoped that replay would mean the refs would be more focused and impressive on getting judgment calls right but it really hasn't gone that way.

Yeah, I hoped that replay would mean the refs would be more focused and impressive on getting judgment calls right but it really hasn't gone that way.
I think lod001 and Orton to Olsen are on to something -- the refs, as human beings, just can't get the judgment calls right even when they are obvious.

I think lod001 and Orton to Olsen are on to something -- the refs, as human beings, just can't get the judgment calls right even when they are obvious.
It's more likely to push me away from caring about football than it is to make me want to have everything reviewed.

With all this talk of technology, is it possible to have a computer assess plays in real time and be programmed to officiated the game and leave human decision-making out of it? We have facial recognition software that can find someone 5,000 miles away in like 8 seconds. Is this possible yet? Would anyone want that instead? Would there be 1,000 penalties a game?

It's more likely to push me away from caring about football than it is to make me want to have everything reviewed.
[tangent]

Hearing a lot of that locally. It's a shame, but I don't think Saints fandom, in totality, can back up any "we're quitting the NFL" notions. 99% of us will be back :(

[/tangent]

I feel like much of what is being expressed here is frustration with the replay system itself and/or length of games as opposed to the feasibility of penalty reviews.  I hate when politicians call for "common sense" solutions, but I believe there are some common sense solutions!

- Keep replay reviews to 1:30 or 2:00.  I understand the games yesterday were of greater magnitude than a regular season game, but there's no reason a review should drag on for 5-7 minutes.  Two minutes of video, and that's it.

- The two minutes of video rule should make sense because the point of replay is not to determine what happened but to apply the "clear and convincing" standard.  If you can't see something clearly in two minutes, it's over.

- This part will never happen with spendthrift owners, but have another official on the sideline who is the "clock" official.  This eliminates the need for the NY review center to buzz in to have the clock reset because the officials were busy adjudicating too many other things.  Should save some time.

- Re-emphasize that replay is meant to overturn the call on the field only when there is clear and convincing evidence.  I feel like the NFL has really departed from this standard; maybe it's just me, but it feels like they are going into reviews looking to make the call, not review the call.

- The length of games issue shouldn't be too much of a problem because replays are already used for TV timeouts.  To further help, replays right before the two minute warning, when all of the TV breaks but one have been used, should use the two-minute warning TV break, and have there be only an announcement of the two minute warning.

- Replays after the two minute warning, just grin and bear it!

- As for reviewing penalties itself, I think we'd have to accept you can't review everything.  No holding reviews, for the love of whatever deity you worship.  It would have to be factual-based reviews.  Like in this case - did the defender initiate contact to the receiver while the pass was in the air without turning his head back to the ball?  Yes.  OK, we move on.

With all this talk of technology, is it possible to have a computer assess plays in real time and be programmed to officiated the game and leave human decision-making out of it? We have facial recognition software that can find someone 5,000 miles away in like 8 seconds. Is this possible yet?
I don't think we're there yet. Where we're at is being able to give live human refs much better views of the action than what can be seen on the field. That improves the game calls.

[tangent]

Hearing a lot of that locally. It's a shame, but I don't think Saints fandom, in totality, can back up any "we're quitting the NFL" notions. 99% of us will be back :(

[/tangent]
I'll still watch, but it's been a steady push away from caring.  And it could push me to just not watch. 

Remember this in the Cowboys game? First down for the Cowboys.

Same game, the hit on Kamara with no call.

Not like it's just against the Saints, it's just terrible this year.  If it doesn't get better, I have a hard time watching.

[tangent]

Remember both of those very well. The helmet-to-helmet stuff on Kamara is just incredible to me. The league talks a good game about legislating out head shots -- but the application of the rules are all over the place. Kamara is a special target for opponents, and I cannot recall an opposing player ever being flagged for going after Kamara's head.

[/tangent]

I'll still watch, but it's been a steady push away from caring.  And it could push me to just not watch. 

Not like it's just against the Saints, it's just terrible this year.  If it doesn't get better, I have a hard time watching.
That first one is brutal but the Kamara hit is simply a judgement call. They didn't exist decades ago. Maybe they need more refs per game because of it. There is more potential for penalties now than decades ago. I mean who watches the QB? You now need eyes on him because of the rules. Isa it the same guy that has to watch for holding calls? Nobody is gonna get that right all the time. Game moves too fast.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-nfls-penalty-problem-1536839971

Roughing the passer 2017 - 105, 1997 - 57.

Unnecessay roughness - 2017 - 200, 1997 - 104.

These are calls that are judgmental and based on new rules, called more often. Thus if it's called more often, it goes to reason it's going to be missed more often.

We can’t be far away from having computers monitor the game and calling the penalties replacing human error. 

While this is a little off topic I have a problem with the NFL OT rules. I think that both teams after playing 60 minutes to a tie deserve the right to have the ball on O in the OT period, especially in the playoffs. Totally unfair to have a game decided on a coin flip. They changed the rule on the FG now I think it's time to also make the change for the TD on 1st possession only.

So the solutions I’m hearing are that the game needs more penalties called with more reviews.

That’s going to make the game better?  Are you guys sure about that?

Users who are viewing this thread