What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

MTV's The Challenge (and other reality shows) (2 Viewers)

So I know it's not technically a "reality tv show", but has anyone watched that show Knight Fight on History?  The preview talked about people doing battle in full armor with real weapons, like swords and pikes.  I thought it would be some cheesy weird battle with plastic weapons or something.  I watched it and, dear God, someone is going to die on this show.  It's like 6 dudes in a ring at the same time beating the hell out of each other with swords and axes.  I can't tell if I like the show or if I'm simply watching it to see when someone actually suffers a serious injury from an axe strike to the head.  :shock:

So I know it's not technically a "reality tv show", but has anyone watched that show Knight Fight on History?  The preview talked about people doing battle in full armor with real weapons, like swords and pikes.  I thought it would be some cheesy weird battle with plastic weapons or something.  I watched it and, dear God, someone is going to die on this show.  It's like 6 dudes in a ring at the same time beating the hell out of each other with swords and axes.  I can't tell if I like the show or if I'm simply watching it to see when someone actually suffers a serious injury from an axe strike to the head.  :shock:
I thought it would be the same thing, fake weapons made from pool noodles.

I watched all of last nights episode and in the rules they did mention that the weapons are blunt, and no stabbing attacks.   That said, I am not going to put on a metal helmet and let someone take a full swing at it with a metal sword.  Since they are wearing actual armor that was made to withstand pointed/sharpened weapons I can see why this is "safe", but someone is getting at least a concussion from a full force punch to the head.

I thought it would be the same thing, fake weapons made from pool noodles.

I watched all of last nights episode and in the rules they did mention that the weapons are blunt, and no stabbing attacks.   That said, I am not going to put on a metal helmet and let someone take a full swing at it with a metal sword.  Since they are wearing actual armor that was made to withstand pointed/sharpened weapons I can see why this is "safe", but someone is getting at least a concussion from a full force punch to the head.
Right?  I didn't watch last night's episode yet, but in the first episode, dude took an axe to the front of his face with a full swing.  I mean, football is trying to get people to stop hitting helmet to helmet and this "sport" is having people take baseball swings to the metal noggin with a battle axe!  Crazy.

Finally got to watch the first episode this weekend.  Looks like it's going to be a fun season.  I wish they would've done more in the first episode, though.  It was fairly uneventful.  

Also, the fact they showed Cara Marie in a commercial promoting their new dating show, I'm guessing her and Paulie don't make it through the season.  Especially with how he was looking at his new teammate.

Finally got to watch the first episode this weekend.  Looks like it's going to be a fun season.  I wish they would've done more in the first episode, though.  It was fairly uneventful.  

Also, the fact they showed Cara Marie in a commercial promoting their new dating show, I'm guessing her and Paulie don't make it through the season.  Especially with how he was looking at his new teammate.
Did you almost throw up (like I did) when they were walking around the house saying "we can have sex there...and there...and there...and there...."?

What in the hell happened in that girl's life to make her that way?  I used to think she got a bad rap, but holy hell is she annoying since the whole Kyle thing.  You know you are bat#### crazy when I start wondering if Abe was the sane one in their relationship.  Btw, I miss Abe on these shows.

I wish they'd have been able to put together a TRUE all-champions season before they started bringing in these people from other shows.  I know they probably tried, but it would've been awesome to see a show with only champions.  And I'm talking champions that dominated.  Not those that rode coattails.  Darrell, Bananas, CT, Landon, Wes, Jordan, Alton, Emily, Laurel, Evelyn, Camila, Cara Maria.

ETA: I'm definitely excited to see CT up against some guys that match up to him physically this season.  Just wish we could've seen it in his prime.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you almost throw up (like I did) when they were walking around the house saying "we can have sex there...and there...and there...and there...."?

What in the hell happened in that girl's life to make her that way?  I used to think she got a bad rap, but holy hell is she annoying since the whole Kyle thing.  You know you are bat#### crazy when I start wondering if Abe was the sane one in their relationship.  Btw, I miss Abe on these shows.

I wish they'd have been able to put together a TRUE all-champions season before they started bringing in these people from other shows.  I know they probably tried, but it would've been awesome to see a show with only champions.  And I'm talking champions that dominated.  Not those that rode coattails.  Darrell, Bananas, CT, Landon, Wes, Jordan, Alton, Emily, Laurel, Evelyn, Camila, Cara Maria.

ETA: I'm definitely excited to see CT up against some guys that match up to him physically this season.  Just wish we could've seen it in his prime.
I was thinking the exact thing.  She's trying too hard to pretend she's not bothered by the British guy.  Kyle?  And like you, I used to think the same thing about her getting a bad rap.  But you nailed the hammer on the head.  

I'm not sure I get the bringing in people from other country's shows.  I'm cool with them adding people from other reality shows, but I have no idea who these foreigners are.  With so many crappy (and I mean that in a good way) reality shows going on, I'd think they could get more well known reality people on this show.  But, with that said, I'm not really complaining.  This show is so awesome.  Manufactured drama at its best.

I used to hate Bananas and Wes.  But I realized that they make the show fun to watch.  Their inflated egos are humorous to watch.  And that's why I'm sad that Bananas is gone already.  Sure, we still have Wes.  But it's like having Lex Luthor beat Superman in the first 3 minutes of the movie.   :(

Looks like this Challenge is a little cleaner so far format-wise.  Kind of a throwback with the Challenge/Deliberation/Elimination all in one episode like it used to be.  No Redemption Houses, Grenades, "To Be Continued" drama etc .  And TJ Lavin is a national treasure.  He must be protected at all costs.

Looks like this Challenge is a little cleaner so far format-wise.  Kind of a throwback with the Challenge/Deliberation/Elimination all in one episode like it used to be.  No Redemption Houses, Grenades, "To Be Continued" drama etc .  And TJ Lavin is a national treasure.  He must be protected at all costs.
I didn't  mind the Redemption Houses, but I hated when they started ending the episodes mid elimination challenge.  Dumb.  No grenades, but they do have the idol mask, or whatever.  They need to just stick to coming up with games that are guaranteed to get people seriously injured.  

Sad to see Bananas get the boot that early, he always makes for good TV.   I think that is going to be the case with his game going forward though, no friends left and all the newbies are scared of him or want to be the one to get him out.

The problem with Bananas has always been that he’s just good, not great, at the actual competition parts of Challenges. His success has always come from his ability to manipulate others around him into doing the work for him. He surrounds himself with “friends” that he thinks he can beat and promises them a shot at winning if they all work together to get to the final. He then uses this group to help him eliminate the players he knows he can’t beat so at the end he just has to compete against weaker players. It was a good strategy, but fewer people are falling for it as time goes on, and it’s painted a big target on his back. Everyone who knows how he operates (wisely) wants to get rid of him before he can target them.

The thing that makes me not like watching Bananas is that he constantly vilifies anyone who uses his tactics against him before he can do it to them. He throws huge hissy fits over it and swears to hold a grudge against them forever and claims they are the worst people ever despite the fact that they have only done the same things he does. I would much rather he just admit that he is was outplayed and move on.

The problem with Bananas has always been that he’s just good, not great, at the actual competition parts of Challenges. His success has always come from his ability to manipulate others around him into doing the work for him. He surrounds himself with “friends” that he thinks he can beat and promises them a shot at winning if they all work together to get to the final. He then uses this group to help him eliminate the players he knows he can’t beat so at the end he just has to compete against weaker players. It was a good strategy, but fewer people are falling for it as time goes on, and it’s painted a big target on his back. Everyone who knows how he operates (wisely) wants to get rid of him before he can target them.

The thing that makes me not like watching Bananas is that he constantly vilifies anyone who uses his tactics against him before he can do it to them. He throws huge hissy fits over it and swears to hold a grudge against them forever and claims they are the worst people ever despite the fact that they have only done the same things he does. I would much rather he just admit that he is was outplayed and move on.
Totally agree with the last part.  It's part of my bigger theory that people hate people who have their similar traits.  Like when my boss tells me he hates micromanagers, yet emails me 40 times a day asking for updates on a project.  But I digress.  

The part I disagree with you about is that I find that trait fun to watch.  I'm not a fan of Bananas by any means.  But I seem to enjoy the show more when he's on.  Seeing him self destruct and pick Zach to go against was hilarious.  Dude is already low on friends and calls out one of the last people who likes him.  

I used to hate Bananas and Wes.  But I realized that they make the show fun to watch.  Their inflated egos are humorous to watch.  And that's why I'm sad that Bananas is gone already.  Sure, we still have Wes.  But it's like having Lex Luthor beat Superman in the first 3 minutes of the movie.   :(
Bananas is like the Patriots or Warriors.  You tune into hate on the champ.  Wes is hilarious considering he speaks so highly of himself, but has never won anything.

Unrelated, do you ever think the show is scripted?  I've always wondered how they made all of the elaborate challenges work when players leave unexpectedly all the time.  Some of those have to take weeks to set up.

Bananas is like the Patriots or Warriors.  You tune into hate on the champ.  Wes is hilarious considering he speaks so highly of himself, but has never won anything.

Unrelated, do you ever think the show is scripted?  I've always wondered how they made all of the elaborate challenges work when players leave unexpectedly all the time.  Some of those have to take weeks to set up.
For reality competition shows like this, or shows where they film the people for most of the day, I don't think they have to script it.  Just my opinion, but I think you take 30 Type A personalities, add booze and raging hormones and the drama writes itself.  I could be totally wrong, but I think the Challenge is legit.  

I used to watch Fear and laugh
Are you talking about the one where they sent kids into a haunted place alone to perform tasks?  If so, I loved that show.  I'm sure it was completely faked (in the sense of the paranormal), but the kids weren't in on the ruse.  And their reactions were awesome.  

If you're not talking about that show, my bad.  :mellow:

I could be wrong, but I think Wes is a two-time champ.

Bananas was cursed when he stole the money from Sara.  He hasn't won anything since.

Hopefully the same happens with Ashley.  That chick is a terrible human being.  Almost as much as Amanda.

Bananas was cursed when he stole the money from Sara.  He hasn't won anything since.

Hopefully the same happens with Ashley.  That chick is a terrible human being.  Almost as much as Amanda.
I remember the first season Amanda was on and everyone picked on her viciously.  I actually remember feeling bad for her.  But she has turned into a horrible person.  

My wife and I were saying that the old school players were jerks because they were trying to get under the skin of each other and throw them off their games.  But now, the younger players come in and feel like they have to go over the top and just be bungholes to outdo the vets.  

been watching the challenge since the very first season, and it might legitimately be my favorite show on TV. if they made one season into a 4 hour movie and released it in theaters, I would go watch it in IMAX.

for the current season, I'm not sure who I'm rooting for yet, but there are some interesting personalities. I love me some Mattie (Party Down South), but I don't think she'll have the social/smarts to make it to the end. I'm looking forward to her ragdolling some poor girls though.

random CT memory: in an old season when CT was still beastly, in shape with the big poofy hair. he was in an elimination challenge against another guy where they both had to push a pole against each other and grab a flag on a carabiner. CT was already heated about something before the challenge even started and already wanted to fight someone. so when the challenge started, he started pushing and yelling like a madman "GIMME DAT! GIMME DAT!" and just annihilated the other guy. seriously, it was Aaron Donald-esque. but then he got eliminated anyway, because instead of actually unhooking the carabiner, he just ripped off the flag. dude was a serious beast back in the day.

been watching the challenge since the very first season, and it might legitimately be my favorite show on TV. if they made one season into a 4 hour movie and released it in theaters, I would go watch it in IMAX.

for the current season, I'm not sure who I'm rooting for yet, but there are some interesting personalities. I love me some Mattie (Party Down South), but I don't think she'll have the social/smarts to make it to the end. I'm looking forward to her ragdolling some poor girls though.

random CT memory: in an old season when CT was still beastly, in shape with the big poofy hair. he was in an elimination challenge against another guy where they both had to push a pole against each other and grab a flag on a carabiner. CT was already heated about something before the challenge even started and already wanted to fight someone. so when the challenge started, he started pushing and yelling like a madman "GIMME DAT! GIMME DAT!" and just annihilated the other guy. seriously, it was Aaron Donald-esque. but then he got eliminated anyway, because instead of actually unhooking the carabiner, he just ripped off the flag. dude was a serious beast back in the day.
I remember watching that episode where that little black kid was talking smack to him.  I assume he was thinking that CT wouldn't throw a punch and risk getting kicked off the show.  He assumed wrong.  He hit that kid so hard I was worried for everyone in the same country as CT.  There were like 10 security guards trying to hold him back and he just was dragging them.  No joke, I thought he was going to kill that kid.  Poor, poor kid.  It's funny how CT went from scariest guy on the show to lovable guy everyone wants to be around.  

That was against Brad (pre-steroids Brad).  CT and Wes exchanged words after with Wes yelling at CT "You're a scumbag!"  Haha.

I remember watching that episode where that little black kid was talking smack to him.  I assume he was thinking that CT wouldn't throw a punch and risk getting kicked off the show.  He assumed wrong.  He hit that kid so hard I was worried for everyone in the same country as CT.  There were like 10 security guards trying to hold him back and he just was dragging them.  No joke, I thought he was going to kill that kid.  Poor, poor kid.  It's funny how CT went from scariest guy on the show to lovable guy everyone wants to be around.  
Adam...lol.  

"I will smash his head and eat it"

One of the best lines ever.

Youtube aside, the only actual TV show I watch anymore :hide: Gonna watch the last 2 weeks now. Nany's back. :wub:  TBH I don't know probably 1/2 of the cast as they seem to be implementing other shows. F That. Get Mark Longout of his wheelchair to compete. 

]

TheIronSheik said:
Yeah, I thought he was going to kill Adam. That was right after CT’s brother was killed in or right after a bar fight. 

TheIronSheik said:
Totally agree with the last part.  It's part of my bigger theory that people hate people who have their similar traits.  Like when my boss tells me he hates micromanagers, yet emails me 40 times a day asking for updates on a project.  But I digress.  

The part I disagree with you about is that I find that trait fun to watch.  I'm not a fan of Bananas by any means.  But I seem to enjoy the show more when he's on.  Seeing him self destruct and pick Zach to go against was hilarious.  Dude is already low on friends and calls out one of the last people who likes him.  
Following Instagram sounds like Zach and Wes really had a deal and that’s why bananas was so pissed and picked him.   They didn’t show any of that, probably to make bananas look like an idiot.  

Banana's gone already :lmao:  Love it. Been quite apparent for awhile now the guy has zero gas tank and obviously not as strong as the majority of the cast.

Guy is done with all the new people in this game. He can't con them because they've got the numbers. Also looks like Wes to be back on the roids :lol:  To be honest, these guys have to be to complete with the younger juiced up UK folks.

Are you talking about the one where they sent kids into a haunted place alone to perform tasks?  If so, I loved that show.  I'm sure it was completely faked (in the sense of the paranormal), but the kids weren't in on the ruse.  And their reactions were awesome.  

If you're not talking about that show, my bad.  :mellow:
That’s the one!

Take it for what you will.  But I have a friend who has a brother that works in a promotion company that Johnny uses.  He said that Johnny wanted out and choose zach to throw him a bone for a win.  He hated the locale, he knew he had at least 2 separate alliances gunning for him and he saw the level of competition and knew he would never make it and he could make more money hosting bar gigs then spending 2 months there not doing crap.

I thought Wes was pretty stupid to go after him that hard

I know its like 3rd hand info but thought I post it anyway.

There was a show once called Full Metal Jousting, I think on the History Channel? Some jousting nut drafted a bunch of horse riders, mostly cowboys and Medieval Times performers, and taught them historical jousting methods. Each episode two would face off and the loser went home. Pretty interesting, kept me watching. 
I remember that show.  And I liked it.  But I remember being a little let down because I was expecting carnage and mayhem.  But they would run like 5 passes and the majority of the time, the guys would miss each other.  In fact, I'm guessing why I went into this show thinking it too would be lamer than I had imagined.  I was wrong.

Take it for what you will.  But I have a friend who has a brother that works in a promotion company that Johnny uses.  He said that Johnny wanted out and choose zach to throw him a bone for a win.  He hated the locale, he knew he had at least 2 separate alliances gunning for him and he saw the level of competition and knew he would never make it and he could make more money hosting bar gigs then spending 2 months there not doing crap.

I thought Wes was pretty stupid to go after him that hard

I know its like 3rd hand info but thought I post it anyway.
I don't doubt what you're saying or even what your friend heard.  But that sounds more like a bitter Banana making excuses for his early exit.  

:kicksrock:   The vets are dropping like flies
Nany's an idiot. She must have not been watching if she thinks CT skates through to finals. He carried her TV BF Johnny Bananas on his back when he was brought in as mercenary on a previous challenge. And absolutely decimated Brad before he got DQ in that flag challenge in what was the absolutely dumbest rule in Challenge history. If nothing else, people don't pick because they're scared to go against him. If the guy wasn't such a hothead in his younger days, he'd have won a lot more than he already has.

The show is most definitely far worse with these Challenge vets gone. CT would have destroyed either of those guys 1on1 in that ring challenge. It was 2 on 1 so outcome really wasnt surprisiing. I don't care about any of these UK/new kids. Did MTV finally drop the Real World?

I'm rooting for Wes at this point. I'm sure he'll be going in soon enough. 

yea this show is gonna suck when its all the UK people left.  They have such a big majority now why wouldn't they just pick off the vets.

Users who are viewing this thread