What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Men's Undershirts (1 Viewer)

cubd8

Footballguy
So I buy Fruit of the Loom/Hanes, etc. but after wearing and washing, they look worn and lose their original white color. In other words, I don't like wearing them under a v-neck sweater.

Anyone buy any specific brands of white undershirts that keep their look, don't look like crap after 1-2 wearing?

Thanks!

A) don’t wear white 100% cotton crew neck undershirts for most occasions, 1996 called and wants its undershirt back

B) wear grey/ black/tan tanks if overshirt isn’t white or see through 

https://www.amazon.com/d/Mens-Undershirts/Gildan-Mens-Shirts-Black-Small/B077ZCT9SR/ref=sr_1_11?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1548120723&sr=1-11&nodeID=7141123011&psd=1&keywords=undershirts+men

C) if you are anti-tank, buy black/ grey blended material v necks (not 100% cotton) 

https://www.amazon.com/Gildan-V-Neck-T-Shirts-Multi-X-Large/dp/B077ZL67P1/ref=sr_1_38?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1548120723&sr=1-38&nodeID=7141123011&psd=1&keywords=undershirts+men

D) only buy crew necks to wear beneath shirts buttoned all the way up,(ie when wearing a tie ) and only wear white undershirts when wearing tie with white shirt

E) all undershirts should fit tightly; get slim fit unless you are overweight 

I don’t make the rules

Last edited by a moderator:
Following, same problem. It's time to buy new ones.

I want the collar to show a little when the top button is unbuttoned. Most days I don't wear a tie. 

I bought a few of these to wear when I want to keep the top two buttons of my shirt undone and I might be sweating a bit. The deep V keeps it invisible, and their “patented Hydro-Shield underarm barriers”, basically built in underarm versions of panty shields, keep sweat from showing. I don’t normally have that issue, but after seeing it with several colleagues at a trade show in Vegas, I decided to go with the extra insurance against it. They sound weird, and kind of are, but they’ve been great. 

They do work best with non-white shirts, as with those you can see through to the deep V. 

Gildan are great and cheap.

Goodfellow T-shirts from Target are really good and much thinner.

Uniqlo is a bit more expensive but very nice and light.

If you go with white, throw in a half cup of distilled white vinegar with your laundry to keep it nice and white. Actually throw a half cup of vinegar with all of your laundry to keep your colors from fading.

D) only buy crew necks to wear beneath shirts buttoned all the way up,(ie when wearing a tie ) and only wear white undershirts when wearing tie with white shirt
Agree with first part but why only white?  I wear grey if the shirt is somewhat see-through.  

Agree with first part but why only white?  I wear grey if the shirt is somewhat see-through.  
depends on the shirt I suppose, the goal is to not notice the undershirt so if the grey doesn't come through you're all good.

No you don't.  
I understand if you're going out and trying to look stylish, you leave the white undershirt at home, but seems a bit overkill to avoid it if you're going to work in dress clothes, especially in the middle of winter in colder climates.

But I used to wear turtlenecks in 1996, so what do I know... 

I bought a few of these to wear when I want to keep the top two buttons of my shirt undone and I might be sweating a bit. The deep V keeps it invisible, and their “patented Hydro-Shield underarm barriers”, basically built in underarm versions of panty shields, keep sweat from showing. I don’t normally have that issue, but after seeing it with several colleagues at a trade show in Vegas, I decided to go with the extra insurance against it. They sound weird, and kind of are, but they’ve been great. 

They do work best with non-white shirts, as with those you can see through to the deep V. 
I like them.  A bit pricey for an undershirt though.

I understand if you're going out and trying to look stylish, you leave the white undershirt at home, but seems a bit overkill to avoid it if you're going to work in dress clothes, especially in the middle of winter in colder climates.

I think he’s referring to the collar showing.  You don’t want that.

He wears an entire undersuit.
Well technically he is decompsed and gone, but it's just a reference to when Gable took his shirt off in It Happened One Night and he wasn't wearing an undeshirt. Legend has it undershirt sales plummeted after people saw the movie. 

I wear button down dress shirts without ties to work over 90% of the time (suits with tie and polos make up the other 10%).  I wear Hanes tagless white crew neck tshirts with everything except polos.  Polos get either no undershirt or a grey or black vneck.  If it isn't at work, I either don't wear an undershirt or wear gray or black vneck.  

I just don't like the look (on me) of a dress shirt w/ no undershirt.

I also believe the undershirt will help keep the more expensive dress shirt from pit stains a while longer and to me that is worth the cost and lack of fashion.    

Well technically he is decompsed and gone, but it's just a reference to when Gable took his shirt off in It Happened One Night and he wasn't wearing an undeshirt. Legend has it undershirt sales plummeted after people saw the movie. 
Huh. I remember the great undershirt debate in my twenties. There are actually office policies about men's clothing in relation to undershirts. Some places require them.  

By the way, if you're dressed as a gentleman (and I'm not saying you should or you do), any crew neck should suffice. Just buy Polo or Calvin Klein at Marshall's and you'll be set.  

Huh. I remember the great undershirt debate in my twenties. There are actually office policies about men's clothing in relation to undershirts. Some places require them.  
Should definitely be a requirement for guys with chia-pet chest hair, and even more so if it's crawling up the back of your neck.

I wear button down dress shirts without ties to work over 90% of the time (suits with tie and polos make up the other 10%).  I wear Hanes tagless white crew neck tshirts with everything except polos.  Polos get either no undershirt or a grey or black vneck.  If it isn't at work, I either don't wear an undershirt or wear gray or black vneck.  

I just don't like the look (on me) of a dress shirt w/ no undershirt.

I also believe the undershirt will help keep the more expensive dress shirt from pit stains a while longer and to me that is worth the cost and lack of fashion.    
Is it a hairy chest issue, or why don't you like the look on yourself?

To me, t-shirts are like underwear.  Even if everyone knows you're wearing it, you shouldn't be able to see it.

I wear a v-neck t-shirt for the same reasons you give to wearing an undershirt, but I just think it looks better at the neck to not see a t-shirt.

What is the purpose of an undershirt?
To be a first line of defense against pit stains and other visible traces of sweating through my shirt.

I've been rocking the white Hanes v-neck tagless numbers for a long time. Put me in the camp that with button-down dress shirts, you should not see a collar or any other hint of an undershirt.

I feel that way about polos, but really not religious about it, and if I'm going for a look where I want to show some tee under my button-down/polo, I'll wear a matching or complimentary-colored tshirt. 

I normally hold on to these far longer than I should, so they become dishevelled yellow dishrag-looking things after many years of use, but hey, no one sees them so as long as they don't smell, I'll wear them until they are threads. Should probably update that behavior.

I'll also say another purpose of an undershirt is insulation. This has never been my problem as I've been mostly overweight my entire post-college life, and have always run hot in terms of my body temp. This past year I lost a bunch of weight and now I'm freezing in climes where I've been sweating, so not only have I moved to long-sleeved thermal tees in cases where I don't care if a little undershirt collar shows, I've also taken to wearing long thermal underwear under jeans and even under dress pants on one or two occasions in colder weather (I don't suggest this as depending on the material of the dress pants, they may hang differently with long-johns).

I've moved to a whole layering system, often rocking what I call a "4-2-2" (4 layers on top -- thermal long sleeve, t-shirt, casual button down -- 2 on the legs -- thermal long johns and jeans -- and two on the feet -- cotton ankle socks with thermal socks over top).

Yes, I am a complete freak.

Is it a hairy chest issue, or why don't you like the look on yourself?

To me, t-shirts are like underwear.  Even if everyone knows you're wearing it, you shouldn't be able to see it.

I wear a v-neck t-shirt for the same reasons you give to wearing an undershirt, but I just think it looks better at the neck to not see a t-shirt.
I could probably go v-neck.  May consider that in the future.

I like the slight slimming effect of an undershirt on the moobs. Also hairy chest is a moderate concern.  

I've moved to a whole layering system, often rocking what I call a "4-2-2" (4 layers on top -- thermal long sleeve, t-shirt, casual button down -- 2 on the legs -- thermal long johns and jeans -- and two on the feet -- cotton ankle socks with thermal socks over top).
Sweater also on top? Not seeing layer 4. 

Look, it took me years to make the change.  But trust me, it’s a horrible, unprofessional look.   

Kirkland brand from Costco is the best I've found. Nice collar and quality material. I wear a white undershirt almost every day to work. I've had these shirts last me 1-2 years (50+ times worn/washed)

https://www.costco.com/Kirkland-Signature-Men's-Crew-Neck-Tee-6-pack%2C-White.product.100057726.html

I feel that way about polos, but really not religious about it, and if I'm going for a look where I want to show some tee under my button-down/polo, I'll wear a matching or complimentary-colored tshirt. 
For polos isn't the money move to be wearing a complimentary-colored second polo under the first then pop both collars?

Seldom wear undershirts as the main time of year I sweat a lot is in the summer and then it feels too hot to be wearing an undershirt under your shirt. 

For polos isn't the money move to be wearing a complimentary-colored second polo under the first then pop both collars?

Seldom wear undershirts as the main time of year I sweat a lot is in the summer and then it feels too hot to be wearing an undershirt under your shirt. 
Popping collars will always be a money move, bonus if you are wearing a white double-breasted blazer with sleeves rolled to the elbows. 

Sweaty sticky weather is precisely the reason to wear an undershirt in summer -- I'd rather be a degree hotter than showing visible moistness. I'm sweating either way, but this way I'm less gross looking.

People still wear undershirts?
Absolutely. It's a rule in some workplaces because of plunging necklines and nipples.  

It also shouldn't be too hard to conceal an undershirt under a properly fitted collared shirt. In fact, it should be encouraged.  

To be a first line of defense against pit stains and other visible traces of sweating through my shirt.

I've been rocking the white Hanes v-neck tagless numbers for a long time. Put me in the camp that with button-down dress shirts, you should not see a collar or any other hint of an undershirt.

I normally hold on to these far longer than I should, so they become dishevelled yellow dishrag-looking things after many years of use, but hey, no one sees them so as long as they don't smell, I'll wear them until they are threads. Should probably update that behavior.

I'll also say another purpose of an undershirt is insulation. This has never been my problem as I've been mostly overweight my entire post-college life, and have always run hot in terms of my body temp. This past year I lost a bunch of weight and now I'm freezing in climes where I've been sweating, so not only have I moved to long-sleeved thermal tees in cases where I don't care if a little undershirt collar shows, I've also taken to wearing long thermal underwear under jeans and even under dress pants on one or two occasions in colder weather (I don't suggest this as depending on the material of the dress pants, they may hang differently with long-johns).

Its the extra layer of unnecessary clothing that makes you sweat...enough to go through all layers, any then it's harder to get dry.

Holy hell.  Are you by any chance a dog sled driver??

Galileo said:
Its the extra layer of unnecessary clothing that makes you sweat...enough to go through all layers, any then it's harder to get dry.

Not with the right tech material undershirts.  I started going with the Airism from Uniqlo and haven't looked back.  I run cold, so I like having the extra layer, and I just feel weird not having a layer between myself and a button down shirt.  They provide the extra layer for comfort, but are breathable if it is not particularly cool.

Stompin' Tom Connors said:
...I've moved to a whole layering system, often rocking what I call a "4-2-2" (4 layers on top -- thermal long sleeve, t-shirt, casual button down -- 2 on the legs -- thermal long johns and jeans -- and two on the feet -- cotton ankle socks with thermal socks over top).

If you want to be comfortable while dressing so warm. You might consider avoiding cotton next to the skin,  especially the socks.

shuke said:
Look, it took me years to make the change.  But trust me, it’s a horrible, unprofessional look.   
I don't want to see your chest hair, squatch.

Galileo said:

With or without the extra layer, I was sweating. Adding a thin undershirt doesn't really exponentially raise my temps, and I'll take being unnoticeably slightly warmer over sweating through my clothes any day.

I used to be absolutely comfortable in below freezing temps. I'm Canadian, for god sakes, it was a point of ### ####ed pride. Never once even thought about complaining about the cold and preferred (actively sought out) rooms with the AC blasting, even when it was temperate/cool outside.

Then I went ahead and got thinner and older. Now I'm like a frail octogenarian with paper-thin skin complaining about phantom drafts while I'm huddled beneath quilts with my steaming mug of tea.

Sad, really.

I think he’s referring to the collar showing.  You don’t want that.

shuke said:

Just to clarify, it's ok to have undershirt/collar showing, so long as it's colored and somewhat matches your dress shirt?  

I have a few Hanes plain white t-shirts but I’ll generally just wear any random t-shirt under my button up / polo / sweater

certain overshirts that are thinner I’ll make sure I don’t have print on my undershirt

Don’t  really care how it looks, im not at work for a fashion show.  I’ve even give up on tucking my shirts in

Users who are viewing this thread