What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR/TE JJ Arcega-Whiteside, SEA (1 Viewer)

Joe Douglas quote from above: “he's just a highly productive guy and really tough, really strong."

Not complicated. Tell me once where Parker is described as really tough and really strong. 

Parker is a hater’s comp, how about Anquan Boldin instead?
Maybe a faster and more skilled Boldin?

Well this thread has jumped the shark.  He isn't anywhere near Boldin.  Almost no one is.
he isn't near Parker either. This is quickly going down the road of an Alex Collins thread. Debate for the next 18 months until he gets a shot. If you dont like him, its noted, move on. If you think he is a future stud, noted, move on. 

I'm more interested in news and updates 

Last edited by a moderator:
Got him in one league. Not a huge fan of the guy, but not a huge fan Eagles receivers in general. If he's good enough, he will shine, if not, I'm not that worried. 

He ain't Boldin, he ain't Parker, both seem like a weird comparsons to me. Not sure, but he reminds me more of Jimmy Graham and dont think that is fair comparson either. Let's just give this kid a chance and see how it goes... 

Drafted with 2020 in mind. Now working on adding Alshon for 2019. Older, oft banged up WR that shouldn't be outrageously expensive and hedges your bet nicely. Could be a coup if Alshon does become a cap casualty and you end up Alshon as a potential WR1 elsewhere in 2020 and JJAW ready to step up in that Iggles offense. 

NJ.com's Mike Kaye notes JJ Arcega-Whiteside received reps in the slot at OTAs.

Alshon Jeffery was not at practice Tuesday, giving the Eagles an opportunity to get depth options more work. With Alshon Jeffery, DeSean Jackson, and Nelson Agholor ahead of him on the depth chart, Arcega-Whiteside is expected to be limited to crumbs as a rookie. However, if he's able to pick up the offense as an outside and slot receiver, he could be an injury or trade away from entering into the starting offense.

SOURCE: NJ.com

May 21, 2019, 6:20 PM ET

I'm just gonna go on record saying this dude is an absolute bum.  I'd bet right now he doesn't hit 2,000 yards on his rookie contract and if you give me some odds I'd make it 1,500.
Obligatory addendum: There have been 63 WRs drafted in the 2nd round in the past 15 years, and barely a third of them (24) put up 2,000 receiving yards in their first 4 years. A whopping 15 of them have averaged 10+ PPR fantasy points per game, pretty much what's needed to rise above the level of WW fodder.

By those standards, most draft picks outside the 1st round turn out to be "bums". But you've got to spend them on someone regardless.

Obligatory addendum: There have been 63 WRs drafted in the 2nd round in the past 15 years, and barely a third of them (24) put up 2,000 receiving yards in their first 4 years. A whopping 15 of them have averaged 10+ PPR fantasy points per game, pretty much what's needed to rise above the level of WW fodder.

By those standards, most draft picks outside the 1st round turn out to be "bums". But you've got to spend them on someone regardless.
Agreed, it takes a lot of things going right for guys to stick and become productive players in the league, much less fantasy relevant stars.  My comment would be right most of the time about any players lol.  Still, a lot of folks around here think he's something special, so more taking aim at that.

Still, thanks for the numbers.

10 observations from Eagles OTAs: JJ Arcega-Whiteside does it again; practice ends with big pick

Excerpt:

Rookie wideout JJ Arcega-Whiteside did it again today. Another great grab in the end zone. This time, it was a perfectly thrown ball from Nate Sudfeld and JJAW simply went up over cornerback Jeremiah McKinnon to make the grab in the back left corner of the end zone. He even got both feet inside the white line and the official at practice signaled touchdown. The kid just has great body control. 

JJ Arcega-Whiteside continuing to wow Eagles in OTAs

Eagles OTA observations: J.J. Arcega-Whiteside might be pretty good

Excerpt:

The play of the day was by J.J. Arcega-Whiteside, who smoked Jeremiah McKinnon in the red zone. Arcega-Whiteside juked the ever-living crap out of McKinnon on his route, which looked something like a stop-and-go. Sudfeld lofted an easy throw high to the back corner of the end zone for J.J. to go up and get it, which he did.

‘There’s no other way to put it’: Eagles rookie JJ Arcega-Whiteside flashes red zone prowess during OTAs

JJ Arcega-Whiteside excited to work with Alshon Jeffery

NJ.com reports second-round WR JJ Arcega-Whiteside "continues to impress in the red zone."

Per reporter Mike Kaye, Carson Wentz and Nate Sudfeld "clearly feel comfortable making tough throws" in Arcega-Whiteside's direction. Kaye reports that it’s been a "pretty strong offseason program for the rookie." The red zone usage might actulaly carry over to the regular season, as Arcega-Whiteside dominated in contested-catch situations in the PAC-12.

Jun 11, 2019, 4:17 PM ET

sitting at 14, planning on taking him.  most sources have him being there.
Somehow he fell to me all the way at 2.12. I was ecstatic to get him there.

It’s good to hear the good reports from camp -  lots of mouths to feed there but hoping him and Carson can grow together.

With Wentz getting his extension it now seems very unlikely Alshon stays on the roster next season. If I'm reading it right, overthecap.com shows 2020 as: Team Cap Space: $1,016,030 and Alshon has less than 3M in dead money and a cap savings of 13M. JJAW looks like the "plan-ahead" replacement that good football teams draft a year or two in advance so they can have a fairly seamless transition when needed.  

The good camp noise is exciting but I'm still expecting a crap-shoot, boom/bust style rookie year with TD dependency for his rookie year. 2020 looks really promising, though.

Over under on how many games Jeffery plays this year. Imma set it at 12.5.
That's the truth.  I think Jeffery is a legit WR2, maybe as high as low end WR1 if he and Wentz can both give you 16 games.  Unfortunately, in 7 years, he's played 16 games 3 times.  He's missed 20 games in 7 seasons, so just under 3 a year.  Projecting him to play 13 games is pretty fair.  

If he moves on in the off-season, sign me up for JJAW

I will temper my expectations for production from JJAW in his rookie season, and recognize that with the number of targets that will be distributed to Alshon Jeffery, DeSean Jackson, Zach Ertz, Dallas Goedert, etc. that there won’t be a lot of targets left over. 

I do think that with the news that he’s looked like an NFL player with his contested catch and red-zone skills that he’s a promising dynasty asset. I also liked that he showed some ability to juke Jeremiah McKinnon on his route running as that helps to alleviate some of my concerns about JJAW from his 3-cone and short shuttle times.

Edit: I just looked McKinnon up and he was an UDFA with poor overall athletic testing. He has bounced around a few NFL teams over the last few years including being released from the Browns last season so that they could promote running back Dontrell Hilliard to the 53-man roster. JJAW should be beating this type of player in practice.

I will temper my expectations for production from JJAW in his rookie season, and recognize that with the number of targets that will be distributed to Alshon Jeffery, DeSean Jackson, Zach Ertz, Dallas Goedert, etc. that there won’t be a lot of targets left over. 
Agreed. But I think JJAW could grow into a flex worthy role his rookie year in games that are missed by any of those guys. Especially Jeffery.

NJ.com's Zack Rosenblatt believes second-round WR JJ Arcega-Whiteside "should be able to contribute right away."

Arcega-Whiteside is now the unquestioned No. 4 receiver behind Alshon Jeffery, DeSean Jackson, and Nelson Agholor. The depth chart is crowded, but the coaching staff is trying to find ways to get him on the field at practice. The Eagles have given JJAW reps in the slot this offseason, even though he almost exclusively played outside at Stanford where he dominated downfield and in the red zone. Arcega-Whiteside is a name to remember if one of the Eagles' starters goes down, and he could usurp Agholor by the end of the season.

Jun 16, 2019, 2:38 PM ET

I noticed this week on podcasts that people are now pronouncing it like Castilian as Arthega-Whiteside.  He's from Spain, so that makes sense.  Just an adjustment when I read his name now...

I noticed this week on podcasts that people are now pronouncing it like Castilian as Arthega-Whiteside.  He's from Spain, so that makes sense.  Just an adjustment when I read his name now...
I think it is pronounced like Jay-Jaw but that's cool.

NJ Advance Media's Mike Kaye believes Eagles second-round WR JJ Arcega-Whiteside "made a major case for playing time during the offseason program."

"He bullied defensive backs, at times, with his leaping ability," Kaye continued. "He is a clear size-strength mismatch in practice." This matches up with every other report about Arcega-Whiteside's performance this spring and his scouting report heading into the draft. Assuming he is able to keep it going once the pads come on, Arcega-Whiteside could seriously push Nelson Agholor for snaps.

SOURCE: NJ Advance Media

Jul 11, 2019, 8:39 AM ET

Eagles training camp observations, Day 5: Back-to-back rookie touchdowns

Excerpt:

1. It wasn't how the Eagles drew it up, but the first-team offense got an 80-yard touchdown in the second live period of the day. Carson Wentz threw a quick pass to his right intended for Nelson Agholor, but the ball was tipped and went wider to JJ Arcega-Whiteside. The young rookie took off down the field and scored a touchdown after a diving Rasul Douglas couldn't bring him down in pursuit. 

"One and done, baby," one offensive player shouted. 

"Just how we drew it up," said another. 

2. The best part of the touchdown was the celebration. JJAW looked like he didn't know what to do so he threw up the ball in the air and then did his special handshake with Agholor that they just came up with Monday. When rookie left tackle Andre Dillardwas late getting to the party, head coach Doug Pederson yelled at him to get into the end zone and celebrate with his teammates. 

Practice Notes: Who sizzled at Training Camp?

Excerpt:

The final "live" session of the day was a "Move the Field" session, where the ball was placed on the 20-yard line, and it was a live-game simulation. If the defense can stop the offense in three downs, they force a punt. Otherwise, the offense keeps going until they can score. On the very first play, the offense did just that. Wide receiver J.J. Arcega-Whiteside kicked off the period with a "right place, right time" catch as linebacker Nathan Gerry tipped a pass on the right side. The ball popped up in the air and landed right into the hands of Arcega-Whiteside, who did the rest, scampering another 60-plus yards, outrunning the pursuing defenders. – Ben

Yahoo! Sports' Charles Robinson reports the Eagles are "excited" about JJ Arcega-Whiteside.

Robinson writes, "Despite the veteran wealth at WR, he could factor in 2019." Arcega-Whiteside was drafted with the No. 57 overall pick because of his contested catch ability. He's a mismatch downfield and in the red zone, and it's reportedly translated during camp. Alshon Jeffery and DeSean Jackson's roles in the offense are secure, but Nelson Agholor has been put on notice.

RELATED: 

Nelson Agholor

SOURCE: Charles Robinson on Twitter

Aug 14, 2019, 4:49 PM ET

SOTD. 

Was my WR2 and Overall #3 rookie in this class. only behind Harry for wrs. However, today I would not trade JJAW for Harry straight up. Today JJAW would be my #1 overall rookie

Hes the real deal. Like a ightly slower Metcalf without the steroids and injuries. Like Harry but without the difficulty with the learning curve. If you have him, you should hide your woman and count your blessings. If you dont, you should try before it's too late. 

SOTD. 

Was my WR2 and Overall #3 rookie in this class. only behind Harry for wrs. However, today I would not trade JJAW for Harry straight up. Today JJAW would be my #1 overall rookie

Hes the real deal. Like a ightly slower Metcalf without the steroids and injuries. Like Harry but without the difficulty with the learning curve. If you have him, you should hide your woman and count your blessings. If you dont, you should try before it's too late. 
Like the talent, just a tough situation to crack with a lot of proven talent ahead of him.

Users who are viewing this thread