What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR/TE JJ Arcega-Whiteside, SEA (2 Viewers)

Like the talent, just a tough situation to crack with a lot of proven talent ahead of him.
proven talent? 

Jackson has had a great career but hes certainly at the end of his sunset. hes never been a big redzone target. might be able to take the top off the D still.but hes pretty darn close to playing bridge at mcdonalds while drinking free coffee. 

Jeffrey has played a full 16 game season 3/7 years and hasnt had 1000 yards in 5 years. hes perhaps the most underwhelming wr1s on a winning team. 

Agholor is garbage

I drafted JJAW with the thought he would have a redshirt year, but at this point it doesn't seem like they should keep him off the field. 

proven talent? 

Jackson has had a great career but hes certainly at the end of his sunset. hes never been a big redzone target. might be able to take the top off the D still.but hes pretty darn close to playing bridge at mcdonalds while drinking free coffee. 

Jeffrey has played a full 16 game season 3/7 years and hasnt had 1000 yards in 5 years. hes perhaps the most underwhelming wr1s on a winning team. 

Agholor is garbage

I drafted JJAW with the thought he would have a redshirt year, but at this point it doesn't seem like they should keep him off the field. 
Maybe proven is a bit strong, but they’re capable veterans that will continue to get playing time IMO.  

@Dr. Dan I had him at WR4 and that looks dumb.  I had it Harry, Campbell, Brown JJAW.  I passed on both Brown and JJAW tonight for Singletary and JJAW came back.  The draft was happening during the pre-season game so it's awesome to look up and see his success right after picking him.  

Maybe proven is a bit strong, but they’re capable veterans that will continue to get playing time IMO.  
Jeffery and Jackson should, yes, but weve seen wr3s have significant value. We have also seen that being a redzone target can lead to pretty significant fantasy relevance with low volume 

@Dr. Dan I had him at WR4 and that looks dumb.  I had it Harry, Campbell, Brown JJAW.  I passed on both Brown and JJAW tonight for Singletary and JJAW came back.  The draft was happening during the pre-season game so it's awesome to look up and see his success right after picking him.  
go buy a lotto ticket tonight because you're on a roll! 

I don't trust Jeffery to stay healthy.  He's become an interesting value in redrafts just because everyone else is also down on him.  But long-term, I think he's about done.  Jackson is older.  

I really like the offense.  I'm buying all the Wentz shares people will let me have.  

JJAW=TD machine sooner than later.

Jeffery and Jackson should, yes, but weve seen wr3s have significant value. We have also seen that being a redzone target can lead to pretty significant fantasy relevance with low volume 
The Eagles RZ targets are Ertz, Goedert, and Jeffery. JJ should have a role next year after Agholor leaves.

The Eagles RZ targets are Ertz, Goedert, and Jeffery. JJ should have a role next year after Agholor leaves.
2018 that's who they were. 2019 JJAW rules the roost

Jokes and hyperbole aside, I do think JJAW supplants Jeffery in the redzone at least, and possibly Goedert

Last edited by a moderator:
JJ Arcega-Whiteside caught 8-of-9 targets for 104 yards and one touchdown in the Eagles' third preseason game Thursday night.

JJAW and Josh McCown had it cooking in this one against the Ravens' starters. McCown has only been with the Eagles for five days, but he and the rookie had a connection right from the get-go. McCown lofted a perfect touch pass into the right corner of the end zone for a 20-yard touchdown to JJAW on their trip to pay dirt. Arcega-Whiteside is unlikely to have much of a role early in the season behind Alshon Jeffery, DeSean Jackson, and Nelson Agholor, but perhaps this performance will have the Eagles again thinking about Agholor's standing on the roster in his contract year.

Aug 22, 2019, 11:44 PM ET

PFF ReFocused, NFL Preseason Week 3: Baltimore Ravens 26, Philadelphia Eagles 15

Excerpts:

J.J. Arcega-Whiteside had a night that was sure to get Eagles fans excited. He was explosive with the ball in his hands, picked up a few first downs and absolutely roasted his defender as he connected with Josh McCown in the end zone.

Rookie Takeaways

Rookie JJ Arcega-Whiteside put on a route-running clinic in his bout with the Ravens’ secondary. He finished the night with eight receptions for 104 yards and a touchdown. 

I know they keep repeating it, but he really does look like Alshon out there.

Excited for his future as an Eagle!
Yeah definitely moves like him or even a Larry Fitzgerald. I was very skeptical of the pick but he looks like he belongs for sure. That was a hell of a catch on his TD but he also had some nice RAC, and a couple catches where he made great adjustments to the throw and caught the ball. Hoping he continues to improve. 

I love the size/smoothness combo.  He looks huge, yet smooth and fast as well.

I don't think he's going to stay on my taxi squads all that long - he's looking like he'll be tough to keep off the field once things get going.  If Alshon doesn't get hurt, Agholor could get benched...

Brian Baldinger @ BaldyNFL

.@Eagles @jjarcega_22 #FlyEaglesFly had his coming out party. Gonna be a factor starting week 1. Has amazing feet for a receiver his size. Such subtle quick moves to beat M2M coverage. #BaldysBreakdowns

Maybe wearing #19 had something to do with it, but he sure looked like a prime Miles Austin out there. 

Even after the coming-out party on Thursday, I got him in both my drafts today.  Got him with #21 rookie pick in a contract keeper (non-PPR) and for 10/400 in a salary cap auction league (0.5 PPR)

The only knock I see with this guy, is he doesn't seem quick.  I noticed he was caught from behind from multiple players more than once.  (that was just a casual observation, I'm no talent scout lol)

That aside, even the announcers mentioned once point blank "He's not known for run-after-the-catch, but it's something he has done a couple times tonight"..... or something along those lines.

I am down on Philly skill position players this year as a whole, but it seems like this guy may be flying under the radar a bit.  I'm sure there is value to be had.

I wonder what his ceiling might be, with supposedly Alshon and D. Jackson in front of him on the depth chart, but the last thing I read about Agholor is he may not make the final roster.

I would think the appeal here is more for dynasty, as Desean can't last forever, but possibly there is some WR3 potential this year?

TZM

MrSoup said:
Saw all I needed to see with his week three performance.

Dude is going to be a STUD. He already looks better than Alshon and Agholor to me, but obviously, it will take time to pass them on the depth chart. 
Best WR of the 2019 class when it's all said and done IMO 

He's a great end of the draft flyer. Problem for me is so many mouths to feed for Philadelphia.

I could see a scenario where one of the top receivers go down, heck both, Jeffrey and Jackson, have a history of injuries.....that he could get his chance.

But with Jeffrey, Jackson, Ertz, Howard, Sanders, etc......how many passes could he realistically see per game?

He's a great end of the draft flyer. Problem for me is so many mouths to feed for Philadelphia.

I could see a scenario where one of the top receivers go down, heck both, Jeffrey and Jackson, have a history of injuries.....that he could get his chance.

But with Jeffrey, Jackson, Ertz, Howard, Sanders, etc......how many passes could he realistically see per game?
A lot more than his ADP indicates. 

Just drafted him at 2.3 in my main dynasty league. Was sweating him making it to me but thankfully AJ Brown and Marquise Brown both went right before my pick instead of one of them taking JJAW, so now I’m all aboard!

DJax broke his left ring finger in practice today.

Still expected to be ready for week 1, but if he's at all limited, that might open up more snaps for JJAW right off the bat.

DJax broke his left ring finger in practice today.

Still expected to be ready for week 1, but if he's at all limited, that might open up more snaps for JJAW right off the bat.
feels wrong "liking" this comment, but instead I'll quote and say there is definitely opportunity brewing 

Drafted him last night early in the 2nd round and I feel good about it.

Wentz owner,

Tex

SOTD. 

Was my WR2 and Overall #3 rookie in this class. only behind Harry for wrs. However, today I would not trade JJAW for Harry straight up. Today JJAW would be my #1 overall rookie

Hes the real deal. Like a ightly slower Metcalf without the steroids and injuries. Like Harry but without the difficulty with the learning curve. If you have him, you should hide your woman and count your blessings. If you dont, you should try before it's too late. 
my keeper league has all Eagles fans so gonna be hard to take him. Anyone have a suggestion on maybe when to take him ADP wise based on that?

In my rookie draft I passed on him at 1.06, thinking he’d be there at 1.09... I’ve lost sleep over that 

got him on my subscriber team. going to hit right away 
Is this shtick? I get that he's been good in camp and in preseason, but every time I watch him, I think that he's slow. :shrugs: Apparently Philly likes him. Give me one of the burners from the class, though. 

Is this shtick? I get that he's been good in camp and in preseason, but every time I watch him, I think that he's slow. :shrugs: Apparently Philly likes him. Give me one of the burners from the class, though. 
everyone loves speed. doesnt always work out and they seem to tend to get hurt. jjaw is one of the best wrs from this class

everyone loves speed. doesnt always work out and they seem to tend to get hurt. jjaw is one of the best wrs from this class
Yeah, I've noticed you're a believer and the preseason is evidence of at least a flash of production and talent. I just...I don't see a redraft role for this cat. Dynasty, sure.

No. Overall. 

Those two backs may be pretty good rb2s someday, but JJAW, IMO, has long term elite upside

Montgomery is slow, especially to the second level, and Jacobs isnt a bellcow
The good news is this will either be proven or disproven as soon as this season. 

JJAW isn’t exactly fast. You’ve even pointed this out. So it’s bad for a RB but it’s ok for a WR? :confused:  

Montgomery isn’t known for his jets, no - he’s known for breaking tackles/forcing missed tackles, being an above average receiver, and having a rare power/elusiveness combo.. He holds 2 records for forced tackles missed,  btw. 

Jacobs definitely looks like a bellcow back to me. My only knock on him is that he’s a Raider, which is a little unfair since they actually have a pretty solid OL. 

I like JJAW a lot, but over those two backs? Each to their own, but not the pick I’d make.

as for redraft, I’m hoping the Eagles decide to release Agholor - that’s the only clear path to touches I see. DJax isn’t a spring chicken but he sure looked good in Tampa at times last year. And he’s tough as nails. The broken finger isn’t gonna slow him down.  Jeffery & Ertz aren’t going anywhere & they have a few running backs they’ll use. 

I might pick him up off waivers but it’s gonna take Nelson getting cut & possibly  also an injury to one of the top 2 for JJAW to become redraft relevant.  :shrug:

Dynasty I love the guy but not over impact running backs. 

The good news is this will either be proven or disproven as soon as this season. 

JJAW isn’t exactly fast. You’ve even pointed this out. So it’s bad for a RB but it’s ok for a WR? :confused:  

Montgomery isn’t known for his jets, no - he’s known for breaking tackles/forcing missed tackles, being an above average receiver, and having a rare power/elusiveness combo.. He holds 2 records for forced tackles missed,  btw. 

Jacobs definitely looks like a bellcow back to me. My only knock on him is that he’s a Raider, which is a little unfair since they actually have a pretty solid OL. 

I like JJAW a lot, but over those two backs? Each to their own, but not the pick I’d make.

as for redraft, I’m hoping the Eagles decide to release Agholor - that’s the only clear path to touches I see. DJax isn’t a spring chicken but he sure looked good in Tampa at times last year. And he’s tough as nails. The broken finger isn’t gonna slow him down.  Jeffery & Ertz aren’t going anywhere & they have a few running backs they’ll use. 

I might pick him up off waivers but it’s gonna take Nelson getting cut & possibly  also an injury to one of the top 2 for JJAW to become redraft relevant.  :shrug:

Dynasty I love the guy but not over impact running backs. 
Montgomery ran a 4.65, JJAW 4.49. One is significantly slower than the other. I find it interesting some seem willing to overlook Montgomerys plodder numbers and will him to top 12 potential, but might call JJAW slow. 

One reason why Montgomery broke so many tackles was because he was hit in the backfield so often. The vast minority of his broken tackles were at the second level. It was one of the biggest negatives for him- hes slow to the 2nd level. I think Montgomery is a glorified Blount, which is fine and he will have fantasy value, but its capped. 

Jacobs has interesting potential and I have been back and forth on him. I've settled on I think he will bust. If he were with a better coach on a better team.maybe that's different but I wont play the what if game. Hes on the raiders and I have a feeling he gets beat to hell and ends up injury prone. Cadillac Williams 2.0

Users who are viewing this thread