What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR/TE JJ Arcega-Whiteside, SEA (1 Viewer)

JJ Arcega-Whiteside (foot) was limited at Thursday's practice.

This is a new injury for the rookie, whose name did not appear on Wednesday's practice report. Injuries have forced Arcega-Whiteside into a near-every-down role (90.9-percent snap rate in Weeks 14-15), though he's mostly remained a non-factor, pulling in just two of five targets for 29 scoreless yards over his past two games.

SOURCE: Zach Berman on Twitter

Dec 19, 2019, 4:18 PM ET

Next year is looking very favorable for opportunities and, more importantly, consistent playing time at one position. 
Zero percent chance the Eagles don't bring in new blood, rookies, free agents, or whatever. I'd bet on a complete overhaul. And hopefully they'll have a healthy DeSean Jackson. Their wr group will not be as emberrassing next year. 

JJAW's opportunity is right now and he's not doing anything but getting outplayed some guy named Ward. 

Zero percent chance the Eagles don't bring in new blood, rookies, free agents, or whatever. I'd bet on a complete overhaul. And hopefully they'll have a healthy DeSean Jackson. Their wr group will not be as emberrassing next year. 

JJAW's opportunity is right now and he's not doing anything but getting outplayed some guy named Ward. 
Interesting perspective. we'll see. I can see them drafting a guy like Ruggs who will stretch the field, but I'm not worried about that affecting JJAWs plan. 

I'm not afraid to admit he's a bust, but it's waaaaay too early.  We can revisit this next year 

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting perspective. we'll see. I can see them drafting a guy like Ruggs who will stretch the field, but I'm not worried about that affecting JJAWs plan. 

I'm not afraid to admit he's a bust, but it's waaaaay too early.  We can revisit this next year 
Definitely too early to use the b word. Maybe he needs a season or a few to adjust, I don't know. But it's not looking good in my opinion. 

JJ Arcega-Whiteside didn't see a target in Philadelphia's Wild Card loss to Seattle.

It's only fitting that JJAW closes his rookie campaign with a total of 10/169/1 on the same day that D.K. Metcalf, who was drafted seven spots lower in '19, out-produced the field with 7/160/1 receiving. The No. 57 overall pick this past year, Arcega-Whiteside (6’2/225) was truly abysmal despite being forced onto the field for every game, being immediately out-performed by street free agent Greg Ward in pivotal must-win bouts and failing to record more than two catches in any contest. 'Arcega-Whitesigh' lost value in dynasty leagues entering 2020, but a strong offseason/preseason showing could potentially put him back in Doug Pederson's good graces. Unfortunately, he didn't show anything worth drafting in season-long leagues ahead of next year.

Jan 5, 2020, 10:25 PM ET

Sorry to nit pic the above blurb, but I'm pretty sure he caught a pass in the game. Point still stands though.

The only sliver of hope I can still have is that DJ Chark only had 14 rec and 174 yds on 32 targets in his rookie year.

cant say he didn't have an opportunity though. I mean damn......had to set some kind of record for being on the field and not getting targets

Can't remember where, but recently saw a well made article along with clips that demonstrated how often JJAW has been getting open this season but for some reason Wentz was not targeting or even looking at him.

I think the two of them have to work on their chemistry and trust this next off season.

JJAW's rookie season couldn't have gone much worse.  He was WR24 among rookies, despite being one of only 8 to play all 16 games.  He was in on 42% of PHI's offensive snaps, yet garnered only 22 targets.  He was leapfrogged by Greg Ward, PHI's lone bright spot at WR.  All that said, there is still hope, but for one reason only - he was a 2nd round draft pick.  If not for that, we wouldn't even know his name.  The PHI WR corps is going to be in for a big overhaul IMO, and that will give JJ a chance to show why they drafted him as the 6th overall WR in 2019.  The PHI WR situation for 2020 is one I will be watching closely, because whoever winds up on top will be hugely undervalued.

Fun fact - Wentz became the first QB to throw for 4K without a WR going for 500.

Eagles GM Howie Roseman said JJ Arcega-Whiteside "needs to take a big jump" this season.

Roseman also said Arcega-Whiteside was playing through a lower body injury for most of the season. Arcega-Whiteside failed to take advantage of DeSean Jackson and Alshon Jeffery both going down last year, catching just 10 of his 23 targets (43% catch rate). It's hard to get excited about Whiteside after a nondescript rookie season, but with Nelson Agholor gone and Jeffery not a lock for Week 1, he'll compete with Greg Ward for a top-three role.

SOURCE: Martin Frank on Twitter

Mar 29, 2020, 11:11 AM ET

A lot of disappointment for JJAWs first season, for sure, but his first season reminds me a little of Gallup's rookie year. He is an amazing buy low right now IMO.

I expect the Eagles to draft a WR early, but likely won't be in position to draft Lamb or Jeudy. IMO what they are missing is a guy to take the top off the defense. Jackson was supposed to do that. So what if they take Ruggs round 1? 

Ruggs, IMO, is a complete miss for fantasy and 1 dimensional player. PHI is the perfect place for him, and JJAW. He will fill a role, but wont be good enough to be the wr1 there. 

Yes, the GM is right, he needs to take a big leap this year. If he doesn't then it's safe to say hes a massive bust, but I still believe there is a good chance of a big return on investment. 
i disagree....

Why do you say this?

What are your thoughts on the claims that he played all year with a lower body injury? Also, we know he was being asked to learn every WR position and they were moving him around a lot. Do you give those factors any weight? 

I agree, when he played he disappeared, but I also believe there was a post somewhere where someone said he was open on a lot of plays and Wentz just didnt look his way. 

I'm not willing to write him off after a rookie season. This year is make it or break it IMO. A decent buy at his current price (2.10) considering the upside 
I don't think it's ever wise to completely write off a rookie. Anybody can make a huge leap. I'm sure you would agree though the significant leap jjaw has to make is unlikely to happen. He's probably just not very good. 

cloppbeast said:
I don't think it's ever wise to completely write off a rookie. Anybody can make a huge leap. I'm sure you would agree though the significant leap jjaw has to make is unlikely to happen. He's probably just not very good. 
Either that or when asked to play with a nagging injury he's godawful... I mean could he make the leap into a competent receiver worth his draft slot? Sure, but it would make his rookie year into a massive outlier. There are things he went through that you can't blame due to injury... lining up wrong, bad routes (miscommunications) and drops. He got outplayed by an AAF WR and guys off the street; maybe that's his wake-up call.

Chances are pretty low based off of what he did last year, but there seem to be legitimate reasons. I'm not ready to completely bail until 2019 is confirmed in 2020. As it stands now he's 2nd on my list for cuts for my 2021 draftees
Research shows that if a WR is not successful within 3 years of being drafted in the NFL he will not produce. I give 3 years then trade them in a package deal.

Tex

A lot of disappointment for JJAWs first season, for sure, but his first season reminds me a little of Gallup's rookie year. He is an amazing buy low right now IMO.

I expect the Eagles to draft a WR early, but likely won't be in position to draft Lamb or Jeudy. IMO what they are missing is a guy to take the top off the defense. Jackson was supposed to do that. So what if they take Ruggs round 1? 

Ruggs, IMO, is a complete miss for fantasy and 1 dimensional player. PHI is the perfect place for him, and JJAW. He will fill a role, but wont be good enough to be the wr1 there. 

Yes, the GM is right, he needs to take a big leap this year. If he doesn't then it's safe to say hes a massive bust, but I still believe there is a good chance of a big return on investment. 
You know it’s 2020 when people think Ruggs is a complete miss for fantasy, but JJAW has a good chance of a big return on investment 

Many thought Davante Adams was a bust after his first 2 years he sure turned it around in year 3 just to name 1 guy.
Dez, I said three years not two.

Tex

In a recent interview with the Spanish football podcast 100 Yardas, Eagles WR JJ Arcega-Whiteside emphasized he battled multiple injuries throughout his disappointing rookie year.

Arcega-Whiteside even admitted to needing help getting to the bathroom mid-year because he couldn't walk. Eagles GM Howie Roseman confirmed as much earlier this offseason, stating JJAW was playing through a lower body injury for most of the year. Just one season removed from leading the entire nation in contested-catch rate at Stanford, there's no need to label the former No. 57 overall pick a bust given this recent development. Hopes are he transitions to the physicality of the league much better in Year 2 after an underwhelming (10/169/1) rookie campaign.

SOURCE: John Clark on Twitter

May 5, 2020, 9:25 AM ET

I don't know I think his pulse is gone for me. I hate to give up on a guy about to go into his 2nd year who says he played hurt. But with Reagor, the two TEs, RBs, and the ghosts of Jeffery/DJax/whoever else, I am wondering about where JJAW could possibly get fantasy relevant targets from, assuming he *does* take a big step forward and emerge as a Philly starter.

I don't know I think his pulse is gone for me. I hate to give up on a guy about to go into his 2nd year who says he played hurt. But with Reagor, the two TEs, RBs, and the ghosts of Jeffery/DJax/whoever else, I am wondering about where JJAW could possibly get fantasy relevant targets from, assuming he *does* take a big step forward and emerge as a Philly starter.
I got him as my bag of chips in a trade. Hopefully he is healed up and puts on a good camp. At least he has a season under his belt which gives him a leg up on Reagor at least for the first half of the season. 

The last hope I have is that Philly brought in all speed guys, no one who can go up and get the 50/50 balls. He’s the only wide receiver who can do what he does on the roster. I don’t see Jeffery as a roadblock.

I’ll cut him some slack for playing through some serious pain last year, but if 2020 is a dud then Vandelay is right on

Actually not. It just pollutes threads. If you feel the need at least post in some clever way with some originality and humor. 
This. I sometimes ask for opinions and get this completely one sided this is the only right answer response with no analysis.  It doesn't help me nor others.  I may be on the wrong side of the consensus, but I like to know how you came to that opinion if you are so sure of yourself.  

Most of the time I just get a repeat of the same answer and that there is no analysis needed to come to that one sided conclusion.

I like him as a deep deep sleeper. Good QB and the depth chart isn’t all that intimidating. It also sounds like he was quite injured last year. If the price is a 3rd or 4th round rookie pick, go for it

FF community has forgotten both JJ Arcega-Whiteside and Hakeem Butler.
Everyone is falling over themselves to draft Jackson’s backup, but they are missing out on the guy starting opposite in 2020, and Jackson isn’t really a #1

Guys he stinks. Slow... ####ty routes... brick for hands are not an ideal skill set for a WR. DJax/Ward/Reagor will be eating all of the snaps in this Ertz/Goedert/Sanders based offense. This turd will struggle to find a roster spot. As an Eagles fan I would love nothing more than to be wrong about this guy.

Guys he stinks. Slow... ####ty routes... brick for hands are not an ideal skill set for a WR. DJax/Ward/Reagor will be eating all of the snaps in this Ertz/Goedert/Sanders based offense. This turd will struggle to find a roster spot. As an Eagles fan I would love nothing more than to be wrong about this guy.
What are your thoughts on reports that he played through an injury that made him unable to walk to the bathroom during the week days? 

I’m not saying he’s a star, it’s just way too early to give up, he can be had dirt cheap, and no other WR profiles as the X in that offense (edit: besides Jeffery but he’s PUP)

Users who are viewing this thread