What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR/TE JJ Arcega-Whiteside, SEA (1 Viewer)

He doesn’t fit a WR1 stereotype. Anywhere
Well whatever you say brother. Ward at least gets open and, you know, catches the ball. If this isn't in the stereotype for a WR1, than it should be. These would be 2 boxes unchecked for your boy Arcega-Whiteside. But hey, at least he's 6-2 and 225!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well whatever you say brother. Ward at least gets open and, you know, catches the ball. If this isn't in the stereotype for a WR1, than it should be. These would be 2 boxes unchecked for your boy Arcega-Whiteside. But hey, at least he's 6-2 and 225!
Ward played the Jackson Y role last year while Arcega Whiteside limped through playing the X. 

I’ll judge him when his work is complete. I don’t expect much, but if I could get him for a 3rd that’s an easy buy. The upside far outweighs the risk there when the depth chart for X is practically cleared for him 

As an Eagles fan, I'm hopeful that he can be a key contributor. The things he CAN do well give him that chance. Far too early to label him a bust, although he's not likely to ever live up to his draft slot.

As a fantasy owner, I'm far less hopeful. Even if he meets the above hopes (as an Eagles fan) he's not likely to put up enough numbers to be more then an end of roster emergency bye week player. TDs might make him worthy of a bye week Hail Mary, but I don't see an every week fantasy contributor.

I realize I made fun of him here, but I do think it is interesting how often a WR is termed a 2-3 year project and then given up on after one year

That said I'm still not buying. I'll do that in a year when the price is even lower and Jeffery is gone (assuming no other big WR is brought in)
He was the 2.07 in my 12 team last year. I bought him for a 2022 4th (our last round of the draft—granted partially due to picking up on the prior owner’s roster crunch). How much cheaper can he get?

Meanwhile, if the injury was a factor (plus learning multiple positions iirc and now maybe the game slows down?) and he has one big game early the buying window slams shut. I’m not expecting much but at that price I’ll gamble the scouts were right and I’m wrong. If you’ve got a roster spot now may be the time to strike

He was the 2.07 in my 12 team last year. I bought him for a 2022 4th (our last round of the draft—granted partially due to picking up on the prior owner’s roster crunch). How much cheaper can he get?

Meanwhile, if the injury was a factor (plus learning multiple positions iirc and now maybe the game slows down?) and he has one big game early the buying window slams shut. I’m not expecting much but at that price I’ll gamble the scouts were right and I’m wrong. If you’ve got a roster spot now may be the time to strike
I actually drafted him and traded him with Evans and Darrell Henderson for MT and Gallup (lol) to a guy who loved JJAW and picked him from my team over AJ Brown

That guy still wants a mid 2nd for him and denies that he lost that trade. I can imagine that value falling with another bad year though

A 2022 4th is a little ridiculous though. I can't imagine picking a project WR late 1st/early 2nd and then dealing him for a random 4th two years out

KChusker said:
I actually drafted him and traded him with Evans and Darrell Henderson for MT and Gallup (lol) to a guy who loved JJAW and picked him from my team over AJ Brown

That guy still wants a mid 2nd for him and denies that he lost that trade. I can imagine that value falling with another bad year though

A 2022 4th is a little ridiculous though. I can't imagine picking a project WR late 1st/early 2nd and then dealing him for a random 4th two years out
Part of it was definitely roster crunch on the other owner’s part (he’d acquired a few better players in the offseason and JJAW was looking like the obvious cut—I don’t think the plan was to sell that cheap, but if you wind up in a position where you have to move a guy who’s shown that little there’s not likely a robust market). But I would be shocked if he costs more than a 3rd in most places, and opportunities to get him for a 4 are likely out there.

If the guy wants a 2 for him, well, good luck with that. I’m an active buyer but I’d break my wrist smashing the accept button if someone offered me a 2 for him.

There’s some parallels, though, to DJ chark, who I couldn’t give away last off-season and then 3 weeks in was batting away offers of a 2 for him. The value delta between young, highly-drafted guys who have shown nothing and those who have shown something is immense, and when it moves from one to the other it moves quickly and fairly permanently (or at least usually stays for a couple seasons).

FF community has forgotten both JJ Arcega-Whiteside and Hakeem Butler.
They were both way over hyped.  They were below average prospects that needed to be projected as projects at best.  Basically they sucked and people got suckered in.  Of course we forget forgettable players.  

They were both way over hyped.  They were below average prospects that needed to be projected as projects at best.  Basically they sucked and people got suckered in.  Of course we forget forgettable players.  
I mean

JJAW was a 2nd round pick to a WR needy team with a good QB. I don’t think he was overhyped

There’s some parallels, though, to DJ chark, who I couldn’t give away last off-season and then 3 weeks in was batting away offers of a 2 for him. The value delta between young, highly-drafted guys who have shown nothing and those who have shown something is immense, and when it moves from one to the other it moves quickly and fairly permanently (or at least usually stays for a couple seasons).
The parallel is they both had abysmal rookie years stat-wise. But Chark is a good example of why you can’t completely give up on Arcega-W. I’d say success after such a bad first year is more of an exception than the expectation. Maybe there’s something to the injuries JJAW was going through, but it I’m always skeptical of such excuses.

Philly Voice's Jimmy Kempski notes JJ Arcega-Whiteside will focus on "X" receiver with Alshon Jeffery (foot) questionable for Week 1.

Jeffery will be rushing to make the season opener after undergoing the notorious Lisfranc surgery this offseason. There's speculation that Jeffrey will open the year on the PUP list, meaning Arcega-Whiteside could have an opportunity to start at X receiver with DeSean Jackson sliding in at Z receiver. Of course, Arcega-Whiteside did nothing as a rookie last year and the Eagles spent a first-round pick on Jalen Reagor a few months ago. Arcega-Whiteside will have to improve his game to win and keep a notable role in the offense. He's not on the 10- or 12-team redraft radar yet, but we will see how training camp reps are divvied up in August. 

SOURCE: PhillyVoice.com

Jul 25, 2020, 2:24 PM ET

IIRC, JJAW was seen as a project type guy that would take a few years to see any significant production.  

Then he had a big pre-season game and the internet went ballistic.  

THEN, it turned out he was a project player and everyone declared him a bust.

You've got Jeffery and Jackson.  Both are up there and years and oft-injured.  They drafted Reagor.  I don't see why JJAW can't be the #2 WR in the near future.  

I don't see why JJAW can't be the #2 WR in the near future.  
Because he looked quite bad.  Also if we lose Jackson and Jefferey, we likely bring someone else in via FA or a high draft pick.

FWIW, even if he does become our #2 WR, that's our #4 receiving option.

Because he looked quite bad.  Also if we lose Jackson and Jefferey, we likely bring someone else in via FA or a high draft pick.

FWIW, even if he does become our #2 WR, that's our #4 receiving option.
Definitely agree the #2 WR is the 4th pass catcher.

I wasn't impressed last year and honestly thought he looked more like a guy that gets cut or onto a PS. He really looked lost and poorly drilled. I remember someone countering with "yeah what do you think it's like to know you're NOT getting the ball?" There certainly could be something to that, I guess I have to concede, but then I'd say he's not mature enough.

I've watched a ton of multiple TE offense as a Titans fan and seen other sets which are just there for grins because they're still going to the TE and....wide receivers run routes like they're putting the work in. They run hard, cut hard, put their hands up for a pass that isn't coming, lay down a block when needed. You wind up respecting their hustle and effort.

I get none of this from Whiteside. I don't know of his personality or college training and....don't know enough. I think anyone can see the athleticism. I guess ya gotta hope he ate some crow last year and comes to camp ready to work and becomes a professional. 

Bottom line for me is the Eagles drafted the wrong guy and should probably trade him for someone else. They haven't at all done well at WR for a while now, so they probably need to re-evaluate their whole process. 

I wasn't impressed last year and honestly thought he looked more like a guy that gets cut or onto a PS. He really looked lost and poorly drilled. I remember someone countering with "yeah what do you think it's like to know you're NOT getting the ball?" There certainly could be something to that, I guess I have to concede, but then I'd say he's not mature enough.

I've watched a ton of multiple TE offense as a Titans fan and seen other sets which are just there for grins because they're still going to the TE and....wide receivers run routes like they're putting the work in. They run hard, cut hard, put their hands up for a pass that isn't coming, lay down a block when needed. You wind up respecting their hustle and effort.

I get none of this from Whiteside. I don't know of his personality or college training and....don't know enough. I think anyone can see the athleticism. I guess ya gotta hope he ate some crow last year and comes to camp ready to work and becomes a professional. 

Bottom line for me is the Eagles drafted the wrong guy and should probably trade him for someone else. They haven't at all done well at WR for a while now, so they probably need to re-evaluate their whole process. 
And on that note PFF and others should re=evaluate their process that caused them to be so high on this guy.

IIRC, JJAW was seen as a project type guy that would take a few years to see any significant production.  

Then he had a big pre-season game and the internet went ballistic.  

THEN, it turned out he was a project player and everyone declared him a bust.

You've got Jeffery and Jackson.  Both are up there and years and oft-injured.  They drafted Reagor.  I don't see why JJAW can't be the #2 WR in the near future.  
Agreed. Way too many people writing him off. 

JJAW was maybe 50% healthy last year. He should have been inactive for a lot of games he wasn't simply because they had nothing else.

He's a nice throw in guy right now.

Chris Franklin @cfranklinnews

Arcega-Whiteside just caught a red zone TD from about the 3 yard line. JJ's strong practice continues
https://twitter.com/cfranklinnews/status/1296838953660755968?s=21

JJ Arcega-Whiteside with a nice diving, toe-tapping catch from Wentz
https://twitter.com/cfranklinnews/status/1296827852831236099?s=21

As I tweet that, Arcega-Whiteside makes a second good sideline catch. Good scrimmage so far for second-year player
https://twitter.com/cfranklinnews/status/1296828041478524928?s=21

I like JJAW as a buy-low Dynasty prospect.  He is not the fastest or most athletic receiver, but I love the way JJAW attacks and fights for 50-50 balls.  A disappointing rookie season and the addition of Reagor are keeping his price down, but JJAW could give Wentz another big redzone target this season.  Grab him while his price is down!

Eagles training camp 2020 observations Day 5: Sack party on most intense practice yet

Excerpt:

4. I understand if you’re not going to buy into the hype, but J.J. Arcega-Whiteside made a couple spectacular catches in a row on Friday. 

The first was a diving catch near the sideline. The defense called for a push-off but there was no flag. The second play was even better. He made a great leaping grab and somehow got both toes in bounds as he was being tackled. I at first thought he maybe got just one foot in, but it was ruled a catch. JJAW even caught a touchdown in the red zone later. 

Without Jalen Reagor at practice Friday, Arcega-Whiteside was the starting X receiver. 

Eagles beat writer Bo Wulf said WR J.J. Arcega-Whiteside has stood out in team practices, looking "sharper" than he did last season. 

Arcega-Whiteside has played alongside the starters in recent days, consistently getting open. With the team's lack of receiver depth, Arcega-Whiteside is a player worth monitoring in deeper leagues. Arcega-Whiteside could have a chance to start at X receiver spot with Alshon Jeffrey still not back from offseason foot surgery. With an 87th percentile speed score, he could add more speed (and size) to a suddenly speedy Philly receiving group. 

SOURCE: The Athletic 

Aug 23, 2020, 6:21 PM ET

Per multiple accounts on Twitter, Reagor left the field to go into locker room while holding his arm.  Happened after he tackled a defensive player after an INT.  Hopefully nothing major, but does open the door for JJAW if he misses time.

Per multiple accounts on Twitter, Reagor left the field to go into locker room while holding his arm.  Happened after he tackled a defensive player after an INT.  Hopefully nothing major, but does open the door for JJAW if he misses time.
Out 3-4 weeks. Hopefully JJAW is a lot better than when we last saw him.

He was on the sleeper radar as a rook and didn't do much.  Now he's been forgotten, when it looks like he's going to get opps, and he's got a year of experience under his belt.  Seems like a great late round flyer to round out ur WR corps

Did he have any targets yesterday?

I think it's time for me to cut bait in one league where I stashed him. VJefferson, Claypool, MVS, Duvernay and Hamler all on the WW and ranked above him for dynasty

Did he have any targets yesterday?

I think it's time for me to cut bait in one league where I stashed him. VJefferson, Claypool, MVS, Duvernay and Hamler all on the WW and ranked above him for dynasty
Eagles are the biggest WR mystery and offseason WR hype machine I've ever seen.

How can you explain zero targets unless the guy shouldnt even be on the field. 

Eagles are the biggest WR mystery and offseason WR hype machine I've ever seen.

How can you explain zero targets unless the guy shouldnt even be on the field. 
Eagles WR snap counts

J Reagor WR 40 59%  4 targets 1 reception 55 yards
D Jackson WR 37 54% 7 targets 2 receptions 46 yards
G Ward WR 30 44% 7 targets 5 receptions 31 yards
J Arcega-Whiteside WR 28 41%
J Hightower WR 27 40% 4 targets 1 reception -2 yards

Eagles WR snap counts

Basically similar usage to last season. 

Hard to put any faith in that. 

Eagles WR snap counts

You know it’s bad when John Hightower, who clearly wasn’t ready to play in an nfl game, is getting targeted over you.  For those that held through the offseason, you now have an extra roster spot to play with

I have him in a 16-teamer with basically tumbleweeds on the WW.  May hold him for another week or 2 there unless I spot some real upside or get desperate for a roster spot. But I'm no longer optimistic at all.

JJ Arcega-Whiteside played 28-of-68 snaps (41 percent) in Week 1 against Washington.

Even with Jalen Reagor (shoulder) at less than 100 percent and DeSean Jackson playing limited snaps, Arcega-Whiteside failed to draw a single target. John Hightower (four targets) looked ahead of him in sub-packages. There was hope of a second-year leap for Arcega-Whiteside after a lost rookie season, but it was more of the same in Week 1.

Sep 16, 2020, 10:40 AM ET

Second-year breakout watch: 5 players who look set for a breakout year, 5 players who have taken a step back

Excerpt:

WR JJ Arcega-Whiteside, Philadelphia Eagles

After bullying defensive backs in tight coverage and in contested situations at Stanford, Arcega-Whiteside has yet to do the same at the NFL level.

He saw just 19 targets and put up a poor 52.6 receiving grade as a rookie, though he reportedly battled injury throughout the season. However, he's been fully healthy in 2020, and he has yet to make a dent.

The second-year wideout has seen two targets on his 26 routes ran so far; instead of coming down with the one target that was catchable, he allowed Rams cornerback David Long Jr. to blow it up for an incompletion. Arcega-Whiteside is seeing less and less time on the field, and understandably so. The time is coming for the Arcega-Whiteside hive — the one that we were a part of — to admit that this may have been a miss.

Eagles WR JJ Arcega-Whiteside (calf) is doubtful for Week 4 against the 49ers.

Meanwhile DeSean Jackson (hamstring) and Alshon Jeffery (foot) have already been ruled out. Eagles will kick-off Sunday night with Greg Ward, rookie John Hightower, and Deontay Burnett in three-wide sets and rookie Quez Watkins available off the bench. Zach Ertz is expected to see 10-plus targets while Ward and Hightower qualify as thin FLEX options in 14/16-team leagues.

SOURCE: Philadelphia Eagles on Twitter

Oct 2, 2020, 4:12 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread