What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Do dynasties help or hurt the NFL? (1 Viewer)

Do they help or hurt?

• Help

Votes: 22 64.7%
  • Hurt

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • It depends (Explain)

Votes: 8 23.5%

• Total voters

Jayded

Footballguy
True, the run the Patriots are on is unheard of, but the NFL has had other teams carve out their own shorter dynasties (Packers, Steelers, 49ers, Cowboys). Do these pockets of greatness help or hurt the NFL as a league? Does having a superior team make you more or less interested in the NFL product since you either root for the juggernaut or root against them?

It depends. 

If there are a few heavyweights slugging it out year after year, it’s great. 

If it’s one team dominating for 20 years, with some one-and-dones sprinkled in, not so great.

They always help. Hard to argue otherwise, because even making people hate a team like they're the evil Empire brings viewers, chatter, social media posts, attention. And then the opponent of that team always gets the underdog boost, too. 
Yes, the big bad winner that everyone hates vs. the spunky upstart that everyone loves at least for one day.

Don't agree dynasties help any sport. I don't think Golden St is a good thing for the NBA right now.

I answered it depends in this poll but really I'm answering the question as if it's really "is the NE dynasty good for the NFL"

I'm bored with them making the SB. A lot of people I know are expressing the same thing to me. But reality is if you are an impartial fan, don't have a bet on the game, just a fan, a team like NE helps bring more rooting passion to the game. Either you love them and cheer for their continue excellence or like most non-Patriot fans you get jacked up rooting against them.  So like for instance I wanted KC in the SB more then any playoff team. If it was KC vs Rams I'd have pulled for the Chiefs but not been really passionate about it either way but that won't describe my feelings when I'll be pulling for the Rams to beat NE.

Since they fixed the salary cap, NFL dynasties don’t exist. The exception is the Pats of course. 

Meanwhile, the NBA is a disgrace. At one point a year or two ago, oddsmakers had 1:1 of Golden State winning vs the entire field. Golden State won the finals in a sweep.

Since they fixed the salary cap, NFL dynasties don’t exist. The exception is the Pats of course. 

Meanwhile, the NBA is a disgrace. At one point a year or two ago, oddsmakers had 1:1 of Golden State winning vs the entire field. Golden State won the finals in a sweep.
Yes, you should not have a league where one team is an odds on favorite. Pats had to earn their way more per the odds even at this later stage.

http://www.vegasinsider.com/nba/odds/futures/

http://www.vegasinsider.com/nfl/odds/futures/

The game is more interesting with legendary teams instead of everyone winning.  All serious fans can rattle off who were on those great Packer, Steelers, Niners, Cowboys teams, not so easy with the Pats  other than Belichick/Brady. Can also rattle off those SB losing Bills, Vikings teams. I think most fans prefer that over 32 teams with an equal historical importance.

Those old AAFC Browns teams with  Graham, Mottley, Speedie, LaVelli, as dominate as it got.  That's why they still have a place in pro football lore.

Great coachs, great franchises, great players isn't suppose to be about everyone. If everybody is winning then just how important is it? Then it's just....ok our turn.

Everybody knows about Lombardi, Starr, Jim Taylor, Paul Hornung, Willie Davis, Ray Nitschke, Willie Wood, Herb Adderley, Forest Gregg, Jerry Kramer, all in the HOF.  Now who can talk any other team from that era?

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if this will be one of the least watched Super Bowls in the past 10 years.  On one side you have the Patriots who just about everyone on this planet is sick of.  On the other side you have the Rams who are only in the game because of the most egregious non-call ever.  

I wonder if this will be one of the least watched Super Bowls in the past 10 years.  On one side you have the Patriots who just about everyone on this planet is sick of.  On the other side you have the Rams who are only in the game because of the most egregious non-call ever.  
I would think the LA market would help but I did read earlier today ticket brokers did not want to see this matchup and I think I read decline for tickets was like at a 10 year low. But I do understand ticket demand may takes into account other things then how interested Joe Blow fan is to simply turning on the TV vs making an expensive trip.

I would think the LA market would help but I did read earlier today ticket brokers did not want to see this matchup and I think I read decline for tickets was like at a 10 year low. But I do understand ticket demand may takes into account other things then how interested Joe Blow fan is to simply turning on the TV vs making an expensive trip.
The success of the Patriots can be tiresome this time of year, but the year over year continuity of this particular professional NFL program is truly incredible. The players experience a deep playoff run and want to be compensated (fair enough), so they often walk and the Pats pick late in the draft as a result of their previous success. It seems the heart of their success lies at the GM/Coach’s ability to identify undervalued outsiders and get the most out of them. Of course it also helps when the GM/Coach can both buy the groceries and cook the meal. The love/hate is strong now, but only decades from now will we truly acknowledge the 2000-2020 Patriots greatness

The success of the Patriots can be tiresome this time of year, but the year over year continuity of this particular professional NFL program is truly incredible. The players experience a deep playoff run and want to be compensated (fair enough), so they often walk and the Pats pick late in the draft as a result of their previous success. It seems the heart of their success lies at the GM/Coach’s ability to identify undervalued outsiders and get the most out of them. Of course it also helps when the GM/Coach can both buy the groceries and cook the meal. The love/hate is strong now, but only decades from now will we truly acknowledge the 2000-2020 Patriots greatness
I think the only time I can recall not rooting against the Patriots in the last 15 years or so was when they played a Peyton Manning team. (don't have time for this discussion right now, but I never liked Peyton though I can appreciate his greatness as well).  But what I'm saying is you'll never be able to see a comment from me on this board that does not constantly praise NE. It is incredible. I posted something the other day that said if 20 years ago someone offered me a bet of a million bucks for my life that a team would make the SB 9 times in 20 years I'd have died Sunday night because I'd have taken that bet. I never thought what they could do was possible in a FA era and who they do it is admirable because they seem to outwork and out think everyone.

I don't think I need to die to appreciate life so to speak. I appreciate what they are doing right now.

Had already made some previous comments in this thread that on one hand they bore me being in the SB again, but on the other hand they inspire more rooting passion(against them) then I'd have for any other matchup.  So I think I'm more bored with them in terms of buildup of the game, when the game actually kicks off I won't find them boring at all.

I may not agree with one thing you wrote. I don't give BB high marks as a GM though I only wish my Steelers would take more chances on undervalued players like they do. I tie their success into the best coaching I've ever seen and the greatest QB to ever play the game. That to me is the ingredient and when I say coaching most of that credit for sure goes to BB but they've had a lot of longtime assistants on that team as well. Their brainpower is impressive.

Last edited by a moderator:
NBA it undeniably helps. The entire history of the sport is based upon dynasties. The one decade the NBA didn't have a dynasty in the 70s nearly drove the league out of business.

Other sports I'm not too sure. It's unheard of what the Pats are doing now. A normal NFL dynasty lasts maybe 5-6 years. They're nearly at 20, so real results probably won't be measurable for some time far down the line.

I think overall they do help for football (college as well) and baseball. I don't watch hockey, so I won't comment on that.

No team enjoys a championship more than one who is winning for the first time or one who has not won for a decade or more.

Having the same team in it year after year takes away a lot of that excitement.

NBA it undeniably helps. The entire history of the sport is based upon dynasties. The one decade the NBA didn't have a dynasty in the 70s nearly drove the league out of business.

Other sports I'm not too sure. It's unheard of what the Pats are doing now. A normal NFL dynasty lasts maybe 5-6 years. They're nearly at 20, so real results probably won't be measurable for some time far down the line.

I think overall they do help for football (college as well) and baseball. I don't watch hockey, so I won't comment on that.
The NBA is a truly, deeply, awful product. The players run the league and as a result, the balance of power means four teams have an 80% chance of a championship. What a terrible design for parity and I pity the crappy teams who are aching to sell hope to their fans

Also guy like Brady is great for a sport. 

Take a step back and assess what he accomplished from where he was when he entered the league. 

The dude wasn't even "good enough" in college to be the unquestioned starter. Granted, his college is one of the elite programs.  Dude was overlooked by every team, drafted late, in a round where you're hoping to maybe get some contributors.  

While obviously he had talent, he was a relatively normal guy at first. 

We haven't heard of any real character flaws, they've either kept things under wraps or he's a pretty decent guy. 

He might not be Cinderella, but among he's about as close as they come.

Then you have the "evil" genius. Whom everyone can hate but you have to respect. 

They unite for the greatest dynasty in recent sports history. 

I'm no pats fan, but gotta give respect where it's due. 

But I do hope he retires soon. 

I can't stand the NBA for most of the reasons mentioned already. Last time I followed, Rodman was a bad boy. Those were fun years.

Dynasties in college are different but good too I think. Yet I prefer having a group of elite programs, others rise and fall. Give me Kansas, Kentucky, Duke, UNC, etc. I don't know if others will consider these dynasties but they make the sport fun.

The best event in sports, March madness. When you have a few powerhouse teams in every year and others strive to compete, that's ideal. 

Dynasties are great for both the team that wins, and then the team that eventually stops that team from winning. Last year's Eagles win, wouldn't have been anywhere near as big of a deal if they beat the Jaguars in my opinion.

No team enjoys a championship more than one who is winning for the first time or one who has not won for a decade or more.

Having the same team in it year after year takes away a lot of that excitement.
Taking away more excitement is BB with his "we are behind on prep for next year whining". The KC game was the 1st game in a while i was completely fixed to the screen with. What made it even better was BB chucking his gear around in frustration. If he pulls out another win please scream around the field and show us all how you enjoy it so

Users who are viewing this thread