What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Andy Isabella, BAL (1 Viewer)

Andy Isabella - WR -  Minutemen

UMass WR Andy Isabella measured in at 5-foot-8, 186-pounds on Tuesday at the Reese's Senior Bowl.

That, as scouts/we like to say, is diminutive. While that will assuredly be a concern of some as to whether or not Isabella can play on the outside, he was the most productive wideout in college football last year, and he impressed analysts at practice on Tuesday. "Isabella's feet are so fast and he keeps his upper body so controlled, looking like a duck churning his legs rapidly under water," writes Optimum Scouting's Eric Galko. Many believe Isabella is the top senior wideout in this class, and despite his small stature, it doesn't sound like he did much to dissuade anyone who feels that way.

Source: Optimum Scouting 

Jan 22 - 8:29 PM

ConnSKINS26 said:
In before someone says he's the perfect Pats slot WR
Pats are going to have a full slate by the end of the offseason. Humphries, Beasley and Crowder all FA’s and then Isabella and Deebo Samuel looking like early Senior Bowl standouts. 

The Draft Network's Jon Ledyard referred to UMass WR Andy Isabella as "hella quick."

Ledyard writes that the 5-foot-8, 186-pound Isabella showed off "some outstanding separation quickness and attention to detail as a route runner, putting cornerbacks in a blender with his explosiveness out of the break" during Tuesday's Senior Bowl practice. Optimum Scouting's Eric Galko, meanwhile, wrote of his Tuesday showing that his "feet are so fast and he keeps his upper body so controlled, looking like a duck churning his legs rapidly underwater." We are absolutely here for duck comps during draft season. Jokes aside, of more cautionary observation, Ledyard passes along that drops are something to monitor with the UMass standout, who measured into the Senior Bowl with hands of just 8.5 inches. He had one drop on Tuesday.

Source: The Draft Network 

Jan 23 - 2:07 PM

The knock I hear is drops, body catcher, can't catch in contested situations. Could be concerning.

Andy Isabella - WR -  Minutemen

The Draft Network's Brad Kelly compares UMass WR Andy Isabella to Travis Benjamin.

Isabella (5'8/186) weighs 14 more pounds than Benjamin did at the NFL Combine, but Isabella would do well to run faster than Benjamin, who produced a 4.36 40-yard dash. However, the UMass prospect is a very quick athlete -- he beat Denzel Ward in a sprint at a high school track meet -- and is expected to run 4.45 at least. Kelly writes that Isabella's best route-running takes place downfield and he could be a downfield threat out of the slot, just like Benjamin. The current Chargers receiver was selected in the fourth round of his NFL Draft, which is in the range that Isabella is expected to be selected in.

Source: The Draft Network 

Jan 27 - 3:18 PM

Should have been Senior Bowl MVP. This guy is super impressive to me. He reminds me a little bit of Steve Smith. I’m not sure where I’d feel comfortable ranking him yet but he is very much on my radar.

Senior Bowl director Jim Nagy compared to UMass WR Andy Isabella to T.Y. Hilton and Brandin Cooks.

In reference to common comparisons linking Isabella to Julian Edelman, Nagy said that "pigment-based comps" are "lazy." The former NFL scout believes Isabella (5'8/186) may end up running the 40-yard dash in the 4.2s and that Isabella's low center of gravity allows him to "handle sharp turns like a race car." Those traits led to an enormous amount of production for the Minutemen, and a lot of it came downfield. In fact, Pro Football Focus credited him with 705 yards coming from downfield passes, something that fits the mold of Hilton and Cooks, not Edelman. If you aren't comfortable comparing Isabella to top-25 NFL receivers, another valid comparison is Travis Benjamin.

SOURCE: Jim Nagy on Twitter

Feb 24, 2019, 5:12 PM

Should have been Senior Bowl MVP. This guy is super impressive to me. He reminds me a little bit of Steve Smith. I’m not sure where I’d feel comfortable ranking him yet but he is very much on my radar.
I finally figured out where I'd seen the exact same guy before.  He's Austin Collie but one hell of a lot faster. 

Senior Bowl director Jim Nagy compared to UMass WR Andy Isabella to T.Y. Hilton and Brandin Cooks.

In reference to common comparisons linking Isabella to Julian Edelman, Nagy said that "pigment-based comps" are "lazy." The former NFL scout believes Isabella (5'8/186) may end up running the 40-yard dash in the 4.2s and that Isabella's low center of gravity allows him to "handle sharp turns like a race car." Those traits led to an enormous amount of production for the Minutemen, and a lot of it came downfield. In fact, Pro Football Focus credited him with 705 yards coming from downfield passes, something that fits the mold of Hilton and Cooks, not Edelman. If you aren't comfortable comparing Isabella to top-25 NFL receivers, another valid comparison is Travis Benjamin.

He's my favorite WR in this class. The Hilton comparison is dead on, if you wanted to go back a bit, maybe Santana Moss. I think Isabella has an almost zero percent chance of being a bust. Its possible someone else has a higher ceiling, but I don't see anyone with a higher floor. Worst case, he's a solid WR2. 

NFL Draft Scout's Rob Rang predicts that UMass WR Andy Isabella will be a "combine gif" after a strong performance in Indianapolis.

"With his rocked-up upper body and lightning-quick lower half, Isabella looks like a human version of the animated character "Dash" from animated films, 'The Incredibles,'" Rang writes. Rang also thinks there's a chance that the 5-foot-9, 186-pound wideout puts up the fastest time at this year's combine. The lack of ideal height is going to hurt his draft stock, but his production for the Minutemen and chiseled frame -- along with that speed -- should alleviate some of those worries.

SOURCE: NFL Draft Scout

Feb 25, 2019, 1:22 PM

Just a thought, but what if he plays some 3rd down RB like McCaffrey, could be a nice way to get him space and fantasy purposes puts a nice floor on him.  Similar players in terms of route running and quickness.  

UMass WR Andy Isabella ran the 40-yard dash in 4.31 seconds at the NFL Scouting Combine.

Isabella (5'9/188) initially seemed to come in far more sluggish than expectation, posting a time of 4.46 seconds unofficially. Turns out there was a glitch with the laser. Time adjusted properly, yeah, he killed it. That 4.31-second sprint tied Parris Campbell for fastest run by a receiver on Saturday -- and fastest run at the combine thus far. The diminutive wideout comes equipped with drum-roll fast feet and sneaky strength in the upper body. On the negative side of the evaluating coin, his size brings with it natural limitations in terms of catch radius and ability to hang in on routes when faced with larger defensive backs. Isabella is also somewhat inconsistent as a pass-catcher and has had issues with drops in the past, with the latter concern cropping up during the Senior Bowl practice week. All-in-all, count him as an intriguing Day 3 option for the draft.

SOURCE: Chase Goodbread on Twitter

Mar 2, 2019, 2:30 PM

Just a thought, but what if he plays some 3rd down RB like McCaffrey, could be a nice way to get him space and fantasy purposes puts a nice floor on him.  Similar players in terms of route running and quickness.  
Love it. Speed in space. 

I have 1.01 and it’s going to be Harry barring landing spot catastrophe but Isabella makes me want to try and trade something to also into the mid first to get him. 

Last edited by a moderator:
University of Massachusetts WR Andy Isabella blazed a 4.31 40-yard dash at the NFL Combine.

Initially pigeon-holed into the slot due to his 5'10" 189-pound frame, 87th-percentile SPARQ standout Isabella turned heads in Indy when he scorched the turf with an insane 4.31 40-time. Boosting his downfield numbers from 15.7 yards per catch as a Junior at UMass to a hefty 16.8 YPC in his Senior campaign, the 2018 Consensus All-American and Senior Bowl MVP not-so-quietly posted 101/1,697/13 in his final collegiate year, including leading the nation in raw receiving yards per game (141.5). Isabella noted following his combine workout that teams started mentioning him playing both inside and along the sidelines. Senior Bowl director Jim Nagy compared the UMass product to T.Y. Hilton and Brandin Cooks.

Mar 4, 2019, 9:07 PM

This guy makes me wish I had enough juice to get another first round pick. Mid first. Probably 1.05 to guarantee I could get him.

This guy makes me wish I had enough juice to get another first round pick. Mid first. Probably 1.05 to guarantee I could get him.
You should easily be able to get him late 1st - early 2nd.  No reason to pay that high a price.  Personally I wouldn't take him in the 1st at all.  Too many other ceiling guys with nice floors where Isabella is generally viewed as safer that I'd imagine most dynasty owners preferring.  

You should easily be able to get him late 1st - early 2nd.  No reason to pay that high a price.  Personally I wouldn't take him in the 1st at all.  Too many other ceiling guys with nice floors where Isabella is generally viewed as safer that I'd imagine most dynasty owners preferring.  
Depends where he lands too. My mid first assumes a good landing spot... NE, Pitt etc

NFL Media's Lance Zierlein said UMass WR Andy Isabella "has the traits to transition nicely into the NFL."

Most of Isabella's strengths surround his speed and quickness. Zeirlein specifically likes his ability to "re-accelerate after fakes, breaks and cuts" but notes that Isabella (5'9/188) is not your typical slot performer since he can get vertical. That speed also translates as a returner, but let's get to the weaknesses. Zeirlein doesn't have much experience against NFL-caliber corners and he can get pushed around against press coverage due to his size. Overall, Isabella sits on the Day 2/3 borderline as an upside slot receiver.

SOURCE: NFL.com

Mar 10, 2019, 2:09 PM

Draft Analyst's Tony Pauline writes that UMass WR Andy Isabella "looked terrific" during position drills at his Pro Day on Thursday.

Isabella (5'9/188) stood on his numbers from Indianapolis at the Scouting Combine (40 time of 4.31 seconds, 6.95 seconds in the three-cone and 36.5 inches in the vertical jump.) I"sabella ran scissor sharp routes, caught the ball extremely well and consistently snatched the pass with his hands away from his frame," writes Pauline. "Despite the conditions he looked quick and practiced to his forty time. He also fielded punts during the day." Pauline notes that coaches from the Miami Dolphins, Arizona Cardinals and Tampa Bay Buccanneers have met with Isabella recently.

SOURCE: Draft Analyst

Mar 21, 2019, 5:22 PM

I hate to be that guy as I am almost always on the other end of this argument, but 5' 6" is really short. I haven't watched this guy at all yet.

Is there reason to think he is better than Jakeem Grant for example?

Players like this are more valuable to NFL teams than fantasy teams.

I hate to be that guy as I am almost always on the other end of this argument, but 5' 6" is really short. I haven't watched this guy at all yet.

5’9”, I believe.

Watch him play. He is lightening fast. Like the type of feeling I got watching Mike Vick in college. Just special type of burst and speed. Seemed like defenders were moving in slow motion.

Users who are viewing this thread