What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Andy Isabella, BAL (1 Viewer)

He is too small to take the punishment of a full season. 

I just want to take the hype train down until my pick at 1.11

Toughness is a huge part of being a successful WR in the NFL. I'm not saying Isabella is a bad prospect. I'm just saying Steve Smith is a terrible comp. 
They're both short and fast and quick and get open easy. So theres that. Personality-wise they're definitely different. Toughness is the wrong expression though. Smitty was the bully at school stuck in a 5-7 body. Isabella is the little engine that could. 

They're both short and fast and quick and get open easy. So theres that. Personality-wise they're definitely different. Toughness is the wrong expression though. Smitty was the bully at school stuck in a 5-7 body. Isabella is the little engine that could. 
Isabella isn't going to win a lot of contested catches. Smith is a bad comp imo they don't play the same at all. They won't be used the same in the NFL either but I'll leave it alone. 

I agree with this. 

Just, I get a little upset at you saying Isabella isnt tough. 
He's not going to win that way in the NFL. I'm not saying he's not mentally tough are he's not an incredibly hard worker but he's not lining up outside and winning consistently against press. They are going to have to scheme him open. 

He's not going to win that way in the NFL. I'm not saying he's not mentally tough are he's not an incredibly hard worker but he's not lining up outside and winning consistently against press. They are going to have to scheme him open. 
With his speed pressing him could lead to some wide open deep balls when he does beat it. That happens once or twice teams may start playing off him at the line a bit.

With his speed pressing him could lead to some wide open deep balls when he does beat it. That happens once or twice teams may start playing off him at the line a bit.
Look you got my views on Isabella all wrong if you think I don't like him. He's just nothing like Steve Smith. A better comp would be a shorter Brandin Cooks without the great hands. 

Look you got my views on Isabella all wrong if you think I don't like him. He's just nothing like Steve Smith. A better comp would be a shorter Brandin Cooks without the great hands. 
I was only responding to your press coverage concerns. I didn’t compare him to Steve Smith and I’m not calling you out for your views on him. Just having a discussion.

Its dangerous to press a guy with elite speed because if he can beat it he’s gone - now it’s no sure thing he will beat it.

I was only responding to your press coverage concerns. I didn’t compare him to Steve Smith and I’m not calling you out for your views on him. Just having a discussion.

Its dangerous to press a guy with elite speed because if he can beat it he’s gone - now it’s no sure thing he will beat it.
Yeah I just thought i might be coming off like I don't like him and I wanted to clarify. 

AzCardinals.com believes second-round WR Andy Isabella "seems a sure thing to have an initial chance."

The highest-drafted of the Cardinals' three rookie wideouts, No. 62 overall pick Isabella can play both inside and out. 5-foot-9 Isabella led the nation in receiving yards (1,698) and yards per route run (4.15) as a 2018 senior at UMass. Although he is quite slight, Isabella also boasts 4.31 speed. A highly-intriguing dynasty league prospect, Isabella is also a wild card for 2019 re-draft value.

SOURCE: azcardinals.com

Jul 15, 2019, 2:02 PM ET

He ended up going pick 13. I wanted him, but not enough to trade a 2020 1st for him with all the hype around that class. My hope is that he starts slow. The owner that picked him quits early on players and if he has a terrible first 4 weeks then I might be able to steal him for less. 

Cardinals second-round WR Andy Isabella is dealing with a minor knee injury.

Coach Kliff Kingsbury downplayed the injury, saying he expects Isabella back "sooner than later." Kingsbury even expressed optimism that Isabella would be available for next week's preseason opener against the Chargers, though he vowed not to "push it" with the rookie. When healthy, Isabella's elite speed (he clocked a blistering 4.31 at the Combine) should mesh well with Kyler Murray's penchant for stretching the field vertically.

SOURCE: Josh Weinfuss on Twitter

Aug 2, 2019, 1:52 PM ET

According to Scott Bordow of The Athletic, it's "clear" that Larry Fitzgerald, Christian Kirk and sixth-round rookie KeeSean Johnson are the Cardinals' top three receivers.

The Cardinals listed former first-round pick Kevin White as a starter on their initial depth chart but that listing was probably based on seniority. Johnson appears to be the obvious No. 3 in Arizona with fellow rookies Andy Isabella and Hakeem Butler both working behind him. Isabella has reportedly "dropped too many passes" at camp while Butler has also had issues with "holding onto the ball." Bordow named Fitzgerald, Kirk, Johnson, Isabella and Butler roster "locks," leaving White, Damiere Byrd, Pharoah Cooper and Trent Sherfield to fight it out for the Cardinals' final two wide receiver spots.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Aug 4, 2019, 9:57 AM ET

Andy Isabella (knee) has returned to Cardinals practice.

The second-rounder ended up missing less than a week. From his draft position to athletic profile to college production, there is a lot to love about the 5-foot-9 Isabella, though the Cardinals' recent flirtation with Michael Crabtree should give pause when considering Isabella's early-season usage. Kliff Kingsbury's receiver corps remains up in the air behind Larry Fitzgerald and Christian Kirk.

SOURCE: Darren Urban on Twitter

Aug 6, 2019, 3:56 PM ET

Mike Jurecki @mikejurecki

After missing a few of days of nursing a knee injury Andy Isabella has looked explosive the last couple of practices; On a one-on-one drill yesterday he put a move on Swearinger that showed his crisp route running/speed. The next test will be vs the Raiders.

excited to see him play. his value has absolutely tanked on Dynasty Trade Calculator. 

Went from being worth a low 1st/high 2nd to now worth a late 2nd. People are selling cheap. perfect buy low opportunity

Last edited by a moderator:
Andy Isabella caught 1-of-4 targets for a 59-yard touchdown in Thursday's preseason game.

Absent from the first-team offense, Isabella did not check in until after halftime (aside from special teams). That usually means bad things about a player's depth chart position, though it's possible the Cardinals wanted to mix Isabella in slowly after he missed time with a knee injury. He sat out the exhibition opener. A box checker as a rookie prospect — standout athleticism, college production, draft pedigree — Isabella has not yet locked down a spot in three-receiver sets, but he continues to offer upside in the late rounds of fantasy drafts.

Aug 15, 2019, 11:25 PM ET

Steve Palazzolo @PFF_Steve

Andy Isabella notes:

Many of predraft analysis came true in this game.

-Struggled with physical CB play.

-Couple routes that took too long, had unnecessary moves

-Used his speed to burn the D for a long TD

Looks like the vertical game out of the slot will be big part of ARI O

Who drafts a guy late first/early second and then sells at a steep discount after two preseason games? Those people should not be playing dynasty.
I dont think those are the people who would be selling him.

I saw him go as late as the mid 3rd in some rookie drafts. Great buy low if someone invested a mid to late 2nd or lower on him 

According to Darren Urban of azcardinals.com, second-round WR Andy Isabella remains a "work in progress."

Isabella has had an uneven summer, struggling to stay on the field while falling behind fellow rookie Keesean Johnson in Arizona's wide receiver pecking order. Isabella offers monster athleticism (he blazed an absurd 4.31 forty at the Combine) and should eventually develop into a game-changing deep threat, but it doesn't look like he's quite there yet. Drawing competition from Johnson, newcomer Michael Crabtree and others in an increasingly crowded Arizona pass-catching corps, fantasy owners expecting Isabella to play a major early-season role need to temper their expectations.

SOURCE: azcardinals.com

Aug 25, 2019, 10:36 AM ET

Isabella (coach's decision) is listed as inactive Sunday in Baltimore, Darren Urban of the Cardinals' official site reports.

Analysis: Isabella made waves during the offseason program, but a knee injury suffered early in training camp appears to have put him behind the eight ball, resulting in just special teams work in the season opener and a healthy scratch Week 2. With Michael Crabtree set to make his Cardinals debut Sunday, Isabella may need an injury and/or a downturn in play from another wide receiver in this corps to see the field on game day.

You don't want to panic, but at the same time, the tea leaves aren't good. When they go out and grab Crabtree off the scrap heap and make Isabella a healthy scratch, it doesn't suggest a high degree of confidence in what they've seen in practices. Meanwhile people like Hollywood, Metcalf, and Deebo are already big factors for their teams. Even Hardman and McLaurin have flashed something.

I have Isabella in one league. I wanted to get him on at least one dynasty squad because I thought he was a boom-or-bust guy with a high ceiling if it clicked, but the early returns point towards bust. On the other hand, he's a small school guy in a very friendly offensive scheme. Sometimes players take a while to adjust to the NFL. Given that he won't pull anything in a trade, I'd probably just hold and hope that he emerges. If his price dips, he could be a decent dirt cheap dice throw in the offseason.

That being said, the arrow is pointing down, even if that doesn't necessarily mean you want to panic and trade him for Ted Ginn. There's little denying that his relative value has dropped since rookie drafts, given that he's done nothing while other players are already getting on the field and making plays.

These are the type of guys that you just wait for owners to drop and go grab them to stash them for next year. 

It's how I got Kittle and Chark in my dyno league. 

Last edited by a moderator:
These are the type of guys that you just wait for owners to drop and go grab them to stash them for next year. 

It's how I got Kittle and Chark in my dyno league. 
Or the kind of guy you trade for a 3rd to salvage something? It's not good when the team prefers their 6th round pick or a no-name journey man; then goes and signs a some-what washed up veteran just to avoid playing their 2nd round pick.

I'll end up holding though.

Or the kind of guy you trade for a 3rd to salvage something? It's not good when the team prefers their 6th round pick or a no-name journey man; then goes and signs a some-what washed up veteran just to avoid playing their 2nd round pick.

I'll end up holding though.
definitely not a good sign but he was a work in progress from a health and skill perspective. I am hoping it's a concept of, "we have Fitzgerald so why rush Isabella... bring him along and put him in when hes ready." if its just he sucks then that's a bummer but you move on

If he gets playing time he will have value in this offense easily

he got hurt. fell behind. they're working him back in
Yeah I get that, but he's been healthy for a bit now and he's inactive on game days. Even before he got hurt he was basically running with the third team. Just not what I expected for a second round draft pick and a guy who really looks like a great fit for the offense. I'm still hopeful that he'll be a factor later this year, but I'm losing a bit of faith with that. 

Yeah I get that, but he's been healthy for a bit now and he's inactive on game days. Even before he got hurt he was basically running with the third team. Just not what I expected for a second round draft pick and a guy who really looks like a great fit for the offense. I'm still hopeful that he'll be a factor later this year, but I'm losing a bit of faith with that. 
Yes if theres more to it, its concerning. It's just the beginning of the season and Isabella wasnt someone I personally pegged as a 2019 contributor 

before he got hurt was a 2nd round draft pick and blowing up mini camp. But it's not worth debating 
Dr. Dan, I think Young 8 is correct on this one. We hyped up Isabella in the offseason. Camp was a different story, and Johnson was running ahead of Isabella the whole time, per reports. 

Damiere Byrd did not practice yesterday. He’s played in 93% of Cardinals snaps this year. Either Keesean or Isabella could be in for a large amount of snaps this weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread