What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Greatest Football Player??? (1 Viewer)

ZenoRazon

Footballguy
Pats owner Robert Kraft called Tom Brady the greatest football player ever, of all time.  Not just QB, but....the greatest player.

That has also been said about Jerry Rice and Jim Brown.

Stick Brady on that D line and now what?  Rice at left guard, ha~~~   Now in his day Brown probably could have played every position but QB, he couldn't do that today however. Hell, he could kick also.

How is that actually done? What do we look at to get....the greatest football player of all time?

While Deion was the greatest cornerback and could have played receiver, some RB,  it ends there.  What D lineman was more revered than Reggie White? And he could have played O line maybe some fullback, but that's it.

Bo Jackson**** might have been the best all around athlete to ever play football, (HS decathlon Champion) he couldn't play either line or QB.

Yes, Jerry Rice is without question the best WR ever, but how does that make him the best football player?

No player in NFL history ever dominated their position like Don Hutson did, he was so superior to all the other WR's n his day it was ridiculous. Nobody close to his dominance of position.  But he was no tackle, QB, RB.  Did play some safety.

How can anyone be the best football player of all time?

**** 6-9 high jumper in HS at 218 pounds.

Last edited by a moderator:
How can anyone be the best football player of all time?
Can't be. You're kind of right. 

I thought that the best football player/all around athlete I ever watched was Bo Jackson, and he was a RB, the most devalued position we see today, so it shows what we knew then.  

I hate this question cause each position in football is so specialized. Just go position by position and name your best ever.

Can't be. You're kind of right. 

I thought that the best football player/all around athlete I ever watched was Bo Jackson, and he was a RB, the most devalued position we see today, so it shows what we knew then.  
I have no doubts of any kind that if Jackson had had a long career like an Emmitt Smith he would be the all time leading rusher.  His speed/size combo the best ever.

I have no problems with the BEST EVER...QB, WR,RB etc, but .....Football Player....nay~~~~

I hate this question cause each position in football is so specialized. Just go position by position and name your best ever.
I agree, but now I have this weird thought, try...sci fi.

What player would win if all  22 starters were his clone?

JJ Watt vs Bo Jackson?

Jim Brown vs Tom Brady.....so much for Brady being the best football player ever, he would get trampled.

I agree, but now I have this weird thought, try...sci fi.

What player would win if all  22 starters were his clone?

JJ Watt vs Bo Jackson?

Jim Brown vs Tom Brady.....so much for Brady being the best football player ever, he would get trampled.
I think it's an impossible question on the first. Watt has limited time and limited responsibilities, while Bo had to be in the open field more. 

Brown would clearly beat 22 Bradys, though. That's almost a certainty. 

I think it's an impossible question on the first. Watt has limited time and limited responsibilities, while Bo had to be in the open field more. 

Brown would clearly beat 22 Bradys, though. That's almost a certainty. 
Hard to put anything real in this fantasy, but in an attempt....

Of all the players ever who could stand the best chance of playing some QB, and all the other positions?  Or is this thought just total BS?

Nolan Cromwell  was a QB in college, he also was a stud 400m hurdler, and once in the NFL he became a DB.  Could a guy like him outshine the famous/legendary players in my weird scenario?

Early years

Cromwell played in the town of Ransom, Kansas while attending Logan High School as a freshman, helping the basketball team win a state championship. When his family moved to Ransom, Cromwell earned the nickname the "Ransom Rambler" while attending Ransom High School as a standout in football, basketball and track. He was a national AAU junior champion in the decathlon, a three-time state champion in track and earned consensus All-State honors in football and basketball. He was named the Wichita Eagle's high school football player of the decade for the 1970s.[1]

He could play every position on a level with anyone else.

Then there was Marion Motley

Wiki

In his books The Thinking Man's Guide to Pro Football and The New Thinking Man's Guide To Pro Football, football writer Paul Zimmerman of Sports Illustrated called Motley the best player in the history of the sport.[41] He was named to the NFL's 75th Anniversary All-Time Team in 1994.[42]

~~~~~~~~~~~

He was a linebacker/fullback at around 240 pounds. His 5.7 APC still the record for an NFL career.  Still considered the greatest blocker ever by a back.

Paul Brown made it very clear that as great as Jim Brown was, he was no Marion Motley.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5IuZlImP-o

Here we have a guy big enought to block,/tackle,  but could  also catch, could run, could he be the one?

Then there was Marion Motley

Wiki

In his books The Thinking Man's Guide to Pro Football and The New Thinking Man's Guide To Pro Football, football writer Paul Zimmerman of Sports Illustrated called Motley the best player in the history of the sport.[41] He was named to the NFL's 75th Anniversary All-Time Team in 1994.[42]

~~~~~~~~~~~

He was a linebacker/fullback at around 240 pounds. His 5.7 APC still the record for an NFL career.  Still considered the greatest blocker ever by a back.

Paul Brown made it very clear that as great as Jim Brown was, he was no Marion Motley.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5IuZlImP-o

Here we have a guy big enought to block,/tackle,  but could  also catch, could run, could he be the one?
Wow. That's high praise.  

Tom Brady is 41 years old and just led his team to his 9th Super Bowl appearance.

Years.

Old.

He's the GOAT and I'm not sure it's particularly close at this point.

I think people are confusing most athletic with greatest player and/or most accomplished. 

If you play to win the game, no one has done that more than Brady. There are any number of athletes that have been more athletic than Brady. And there are players that have been more athletic and won a lot. 

People struggle with Brady rocking the middle aged dad bod yet being a lethal assasin on the field. In many ways, he’s the Larry Bird of football. 

I think people are confusing most athletic with greatest player and/or most accomplished. 

If you play to win the game, no one has done that more than Brady. There are any number of athletes that have been more athletic than Brady. And there are players that have been more athletic and won a lot. 

People struggle with Brady rocking the middle aged dad bod yet being a lethal assasin on the field. In many ways, he’s the Larry Bird of football. 
He is not as dominant a QB as Jerry Rice was as a receiver.

He is not as dominant a QB as Jerry Rice was as a receiver.
It depends on how people want to describe dominant. Looking only at receiving stats, there is a huge gap between Rice's career totals and the receivers behind him. If you play to win the game, and winning is what counts, Rice played in 7 conference championships and 4 Super Bowls (winning 3 times) in 20 seasons.

Brady has gone to 13 conference championships and 9 Super Bowls (winning at least 5 times) in 17 seasons. I get that football is a team game, the eras are different, there are 52 other guys on the roster, Brady got to play with BB, etc. Brady likely had more impact in each game touching the ball every offensive snap than Rice did (which Rice couldn't control playing as a receiver). But Brady's post season numbers have a bigger spread than Rice's regular season numbers.

There is no way to really define greatest and everyone will have their own things to consider.

It depends on how people want to describe dominant. Looking only at receiving stats, there is a huge gap between Rice's career totals and the receivers behind him. If you play to win the game, and winning is what counts, Rice played in 7 conference championships and 4 Super Bowls (winning 3 times) in 20 seasons.

Brady has gone to 13 conference championships and 9 Super Bowls (winning at least 5 times) in 17 seasons. I get that football is a team game, the eras are different, there are 52 other guys on the roster, Brady got to play with BB, etc. Brady likely had more impact in each game touching the ball every offensive snap than Rice did (which Rice couldn't control playing as a receiver). But Brady's post season numbers have a bigger spread than Rice's regular season numbers.

There is no way to really define greatest and everyone will have their own things to consider.
Jerry Rice.....is so far superior to all the other WR it is mind boogling.

1,549 receptions....second..1,325

Yards...22, 895...second...15, 934

That's crazy.

Manning, Favre, Brees right there with Brady, stat wise.

Jerry Rice.....is so far superior to all the other WR it is mind boogling.

1,549 receptions....second..1,325

Yards...22, 895...second...15, 934

That's crazy.

Manning, Favre, Brees right there with Brady, stat wise.
We will all have different definitions of greatness. You chose career statistics as your first option. There's nothing wrong with making that the first thing on your list. Not everyone will have that as their first item.

If Brady wins next week, he will have won 30 playoff games in 40 games. Joe Montana and Peyton Manning COMBINED won 30 playoff games in 50 playoff games. Brady also has won more games at QB than anyone else and has the highest career winning percentage (yes, I am aware that Russell Wilson may have a slightly higher winning percentage in a fraction of the games played or has more wins than Brady through the same age).

These thinks are all beauty contests and opinion. There really is no right or wrong answer.

That was Jim Brown's rookie season.

Best team in football....Detroit Lions.
Yeah, that's what I'm saying.

I mean if you wanna talk about the best players from 50 years ago, then sure maybe you look at how many positions they could play.

I just don't think it's relevant at this point. Everyone in the NFL plays one position these days. (other than kick returners and such)

Yeah, that's what I'm saying.

I mean if you wanna talk about the best players from 50 years ago, then sure maybe you look at how many positions they could play.

I just don't think it's relevant at this point. Everyone in the NFL plays one position these days. (other than kick returners and such)
What does...THE GREATEST...mean?  Talk the greatest bands without THE BEATLES. Greatest boxer without Sugar Ray Robinson. Greatest sprinter without Bob Hayes.

I talked about Marion Motley who was a stud runner, a receiver, a monster blocker and played defense.  That is a hell of a football player.

What does...THE GREATEST...mean?  Talk the greatest bands without THE BEATLES. Greatest boxer without Sugar Ray Robinson. Greatest sprinter without Bob Hayes.

I talked about Marion Motley who was a stud runner, a receiver, a monster blocker and played defense.  That is a hell of a football player.
What percentage of football fans do you think have even heard the name Marion Motley?

I sure as hell hadn't until you posted it.

It seems like you really want to talk about players from 50 years ago, which is fine of course, but maybe the thread title needs changing because to fit your definition, no one from the past 30 years or so can even be in the discussion.

I guess Sammy Baugh would have to be the best player then if being really good at multiple things is a requirement. Led the league in punting average, passing, and defensive interceptions in the same season.

What percentage of football fans do you think have even heard the name Marion Motley?

I sure as hell hadn't until you posted it.

It seems like you really want to talk about players from 50 years ago, which is fine of course, but maybe the thread title needs changing because to fit your definition, no one from the past 30 years or so can even be in the discussion.
The Greatest Football Player?

I did assume it was understood all time was the deal.

I guess Sammy Baugh would have to be the best player then if being really good at multiple things is a requirement. Led the league in punting average, passing, and defensive interceptions in the same season.
He is without question in the discussion.

The greatest football player has to be someone who can do more than just one thing.
The problem with your position in this thread is your use of the term 'greatest'. You seem to really be focused on "best at playing the most positions," while the most typical interpretation of 'greatest' is "most accomplished."

There is no doubt that Brady is the most accomplished football player in history, where accomplishments includes statistics, winning, and honors/awards. If you disagree, I'd like to see another player's resume that compares.

The problem with your position in this thread is your use of the term 'greatest'. You seem to really be focused on "best at playing the most positions," while the most typical interpretation of 'greatest' is "most accomplished."

There is no doubt that Brady is the most accomplished football player in history, where accomplishments includes statistics, winning, and honors/awards. If you disagree, I'd like to see another player's resume that compares.
:goodposting:

seems that Zeno just likes the chance to give NFL history lessons.

Do you think Tom Brady is the greatest football player ever?  Forget the fact he can't run, can;t catch, can't tackle. can't block.,,,but is the greatest...huh?

Do you think Tom Brady is the greatest football player ever?  Forget the fact he can't run, can;t catch, can't tackle. can't block.,,,but is the greatest...huh?
Yeah, I would change the thread title to "most versatile player of all-time" because that's what you're really asking.

He is the most accomplished football player ever, which is the typical interpretation of greatest football player ever, and quite certainly the interpretation that Robert Kraft was using.

You seem to be hung up on semantics.

I would say Brady is the greatest postseason player and the most successful QB ever, but the greatest player ever? Nah. I can't call someone the greatest player ever when they were only considered the best player at their position in three seasons out of 17 (Brady has been All-Pro 1st team three times in 17 years as a starter).  I will still go with Jerry Rice. 

Not really.  Just looking for the Greatest football player, which can't be a QB.
Probably a good idea to update the OP then and stop wasting everyone's time.

Not trying to pile on you here OP, but if you want to discuss which non-QB could play most positions the best, then just say that.

Probably a good idea to update the OP then and stop wasting everyone's time.

Not trying to pile on you here OP, but if you want to discuss which non-QB could play most positions the best, then just say that.
If you think a coach would want a team of Tom Brady's then you really aren't getting it. What is a football player?  How about a multi talented guy who can help in a multitude of ways, a great athlete, a great player.'

Tyreek Hill.....

RB

WR

block kicks

go down on KO/Punt teams

pass

return kicks

Play on the onsides teams

Here we have a great football player.

If you think a coach would want a team of Tom Brady's then you really aren't getting it. What is a football player?  How about a multi talented guy who can help in a multitude of ways, a great athlete, a great player.'

Tyreek Hill.....

RB

WR

block kicks

go down on KO/Punt teams

pass

return kicks

Play on the onsides teams

Here we have a great football player.
Oh, ok, I get it now.

You're just trolling.

Not really.  Just looking for the Greatest football player, which can't be a QB.
ok. sure. says you.

So Gretzky's not the greatest hockey player ever because he would be a crappy goalie.

C'mon man. The dude who's the Greatest Football Player is the dude who has won the most, lead his team over and over through multiple years...it's not about "can he physically play every position". Unless, of course, you say so.

ok. sure. says you.

So Gretzky's not the greatest hockey player ever because he would be a crappy goalie.

C'mon man. The dude who's the Greatest Football Player is the dude who has won the most, lead his team over and over through multiple years...it's not about "can he physically play every position". Unless, of course, you say so.
I know nothing about hockey.

So a QB is a better football player than a guy who can catch, run, block, tackle.....really?

So Michael Vick was a better QB than TB12 because he could run and throw?
Deion Sanders must be on the Mount Rushmore of football then. He played CB, WR, and returned kicks.

Here are my...The Greatest Football Player...candidates

Sammy Baugh

Keith Lincoln

Marion Motley

Bo Jackson

Deion Sanders

Jerry Rice

Jim Brown

Emlen Tunnell

Lawrence Taylor

Don Hutson

So Michael Vick was a better QB than TB12 because he could run and throw?
Deion Sanders must be on the Mount Rushmore of football then. He played CB, WR, and returned kicks.
What could we do with Vick?

Return kicks

RB

QB

Gunner

WR

DB

Hell  yes he was a better" football player " than Brady.

We could do that with Deion also, except QB.

Users who are viewing this thread