What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Your top five players if you were starting a team today (1 Viewer)

JuniorNB

Footballguy
Let's say a new league is starting and you have a top five pick of the entire player pool.  How would you rank your top five if you can have any player to start your franchise with. Factoring in talent, potential, age, etc. My list: 

1. Mahomes. scary to think what this kid will do once he gets a few more years of reading defenses under his belt. More raw talent at the position than anyone I've seen.

2. Carson Wentz. His performance in his second year was unbelievable. 33 TDs and 8 ints with rushing touchdowns, rushing yardage, extending plays with his legs. He's still young in the sky's the limit as far as potential. His playing style lens to injuries. Hopefully he modifies that going forward.

3. Jarrod Goff. Another guy from Wentz draft class. Very poised. Still needs to develop a bit more consistency, but looks like he's going to be a great one for many years to come.

4. Andrew Luck. His future looked to be in jeopardy with that lingering shoulder issue, but return to form this season and looks as good as ever. A slight downgrade because he's five years older than the others, but if I was building a team that was only going to last five years, he might be my number one pick.

5. Russell Wilson. The guy is just a winner. I love how he plays. He's around the same age as Luck, so he gets knocked down a few pegs compared to the top three, but I would take him on my team any day of the week.

Last edited by a moderator:
Today? 

QB - Baker Mayfield / Mahomes

RB - Saquon Barkley / Gurley

WR - Hopkins / M Thomas

TE - Kittle / Kelce
Hopkins will be 27 before the start of the 2019 season.  I would want my players to be younger if I could choose any 5.

I’m going to do it as if I could choose any 5 players any position. 

1. Mahomes: QB is the most important position and Mahomes is the perfect combination of youth, talent and proven performance on the field. I want to make a team that can throw the ball 50 times a game and Mahomes is perfect for that.

2. Odell Beckham: My star QB needs weapons and I think Beckham is the most all around talented WR, is only 26 and big play ability similar to Tyreek who we know meshes really well with Mahomes.

3. Michael Thomas: As rock solid and reliable as they come, can play the outside or as a big slot. Someone a team can target 15 times a game and get their money’s worth. 

4. Myles Garret: Foundational defensive end for a 8+ years.

5. Eddie Jackson: There are some good young NFL safeties and I considered James and Adams but in the end I want a playmaker on defense. Eddie Jackson has shown an Ed Reed like nose for creating and opporturnizing on turnovers over his first two seasons. This gives me a guy on the front end and back end of the D who can impact the pass. 

1.Russell Wilson....the best QB in football with a decade or more left to play.

2.Aaron Darnold....defensive  monster

3.Khali Mack....GRRRRRR~~~~

4.Tyreek Hill....can go the distance everytime he touches the ball.

5.Todd Gurley...multi talented RB.

1. Pat Mahomes, arguably the best QB in the league already, and is way younger than any other QB candidate.

2. Myles Garrett, he's not that far behind the Mack/Miller types, and is quite a bit younger. He's still very much on the upswing and may catch or surpass those guys soon anyway.

3. Ryan Ramczyk, best combination of youth and all around ability on the o-line. Only plays RT, because Armstead is so great on the other side, would be a LT on almost any other team.

4. Desmond King, outstanding all-around CB, who is also an elite returner. Chargers ask him to do as much as any CB in the NFL. 

5. JuJu Smith-Schuster, has looked outstanding, and will still only be 23 next year. Can win at every level. Went back and forth between him and Michael Thomas, but I think JuJu has more big-play ability.

ETA: Also considered doubling up at DE, and OT, and going with Kahlil Mack and David Bahktiari at 4-5.

Patrick Mahomes -- Remarkable arm talent and poise.   Unflappable. 

Saquon Barkley -- Transcendant talent.   Once in a generation RB. 

Khalil Mack -  Supreme pass rusher. 

Aaron Donald -- Best defensive player in the game. 

Quentin Nelson -- Perhaps the best guard to enter the NFL since Larry Allen.   Reminds me a lot of John Hannah, and that's high praise.   If I'm Le'Veon Bell, I'm going to Indy.  

I get that people are looking to make the foundation of a super team, but I look at it as if I were a real life NFL GM and teams still would need to adhere to a salary cap. 

So I would take four first round studs still on their rookie deals and Brady. That would allow for multiple years of guys under team control and the greatest amount of $$$ leftover to fill out the roster. 

That way, the team would be competitive right away, good for several years, and can find a QB to groom behind Brady. 

I’d have to think who the other guys would be. I know people will say Brady is pretty much done, but my goal as a GM is to win now and keep my job. And if I had the option, I would take Belichick as a coach over one of the players if that is within the rules of the question. 

I get that people are looking to make the foundation of a super team, but I look at it as if I were a real life NFL GM and teams still would need to adhere to a salary cap. 

So I would take four first round studs still on their rookie deals and Brady. That would allow for multiple years of guys under team control and the greatest amount of $$$ leftover to fill out the roster. 

That way, the team would be competitive right away, good for several years, and can find a QB to groom behind Brady. 

I’d have to think who the other guys would be. I know people will say Brady is pretty much done, but my goal as a GM is to win now and keep my job. And if I had the option, I would take Belichick as a coach over one of the players if that is within the rules of the question. 
If you're worried about salary, why not just take Mahomes on his rookie deal?

First five: I'll take a QB of course, Mahomes. Tyreek Hill to take the top off, and start my DL strong (4-3) with Garrett, Donald and Joey Bosa. 

Next five: Trevor Lawrence. (Ok, not really).  Andrew Luck, Barkley, Mack, Michael Thomas, Q Nelson. 

You'd be good for a year or two and spend the next 10 years hoping to get lucky and find a QB as good as one of the 5 or 6 that you could have just taken to begin with.

Honest question - for those taking Mayfield over Mahomes. Why? 

He's done well no doubt. He looks good, but do you really think he has shown better than Mahomes? Are you forecasting forward, accounting for better coaching, assuming Hill and kelce make a huge difference (they do), or what? 

I might take Mayfield as a top 5 pick but not as my top QB.

If you're worried about salary, why not just take Mahomes on his rookie deal?
Because I know Brady can 1) win the big game, 2) can win with average talent, 3) can motivate his teammates to play above their ability, 4) can win with a wide range of personnel and strategy, and 5) has never had a losing season. 

This is not a knock on Mahomes, as he may eventually do all of those too. But I am guessing two things will happen. Defenses will adjust some and KC may not be that high flying every season. And in a couple of years the Chiefs will have to break the bank to keep him and most of their top players. 

In the hypothetical presented here, I am not sure if any of that applies. But that ties into trying to keep a team together. I wouldn’t knock anyone for taking Mahomes on a start up team. 

He's done well no doubt. He looks good, but do you really think he has shown better than Mahomes? Are you forecasting forward, accounting for better coaching, assuming Hill and kelce make a huge difference (they do), or what? 

I'm having a hard time figuring that one out too. He had a nice rookie year. But has yet to even play in a pressure-packed game, let alone win one.  I'd have him in my top ten quarterbacks in this scenario (#6 to be precise), but choosing him over Mahomes is nuts.

Attitude and leadership. I think he has more will to win, and I think Mahomes has a lot.

If I we're starting a franchise, I'd want Mayfield's no excuses swagger leading my team.

He reminds me of Blake from Glengarry Glen Ross:

MOSS (to Blake): What’s your name?

Blake: #### YOU, that’s my name!

1. Quentin Nelson G
  2. Baker Mayfield QB
  3. Aaron Donald DT
  4. Myles Garrett DE 
  5. Khalil Mack DE
I mean, this is a GREAT *@#^%@# list , man..I'd probably dump Mayfield for Saquon being that he was on a worse team and shoulda been in the convo for NFL MVP because without Barkley Giants are 0-16 no doubt. and he's just a special talent - like Gurley times 2..he's a thick legged bulldozing version of Marshall Faulk the greatest all around RB in the history of the game..

but seriously nice list..Donald is just sick.Nelson looks like the next great lineman. 

Mahomes is by far and away the leader in the clubhouse. 

By far. 

Then it comes down to cost control, as Anarchy99 points out.  

But give me Mahomes over Mayfield every day. He's already almost won the AFC Championship but for stupid NFL rules about coin flips and 50/50 props.  

Mayfield won in Cleveland. CLEVELAND !!!
Still sub-.500, though.  Hard to make a case for the great young QBs out there without sounding like I'm bashing Mayfield, but the guy had a decent rookie year.  Not even top 10 in QB rating. And is surrounded by a ton of young talent. I would move him into my top 5 young QB prospects if he takes the next step and gets them to the playoffs. Plays well in a big game or two. Just way too many unanswered questions at this point to even put him in the discussion with Mahomes.

Hopkins will be 27 before the start of the 2019 season.  I would want my players to be younger if I could choose any 5.
I don't think age 27 is a deal breaker.  You just need to be at least a tier above the others at the position.  Nuk is on the top line, but I don't think he's by himself.

Patrick Mahomes, 23

Myles Garrett, 23

Jalen Ramsey, 24

Aaron Donald, 27

Khalil Mack, 27 

Still sub-.500, though.  Hard to make a case for the great young QBs out there without sounding like I'm bashing Mayfield, but the guy had a decent rookie year.  Not even top 10 in QB rating. And is surrounded by a ton of young talent. I would move him into my top 5 young QB prospects if he takes the next step and gets them to the playoffs. Plays well in a big game or two. Just way too many unanswered questions at this point to even put him in the discussion with Mahomes.
Oh come on. Not on offense he's not. There's nobody on the Browns in the same room as Hill or Kelce.

Mahomes has Tyreek Hill and Kelce and was QBing a team that went 10-4 with Alex Smith leading the way.

Baker Mayfield has a FA WR in Jarvis Landry who isn't a rip-the-top-off playmaker or an all-world TE like Kelce and QB'd a team that went 0-16 to 7 and a half wins while breaking Peyton Manning's rookie record for throwing TDs while not starting till the 4th game.

I love Mahomes but saw a ***** in the AFC championship game.

I haven't seen the ceiling yet on Baker.  I'm completely sold on him going forward but luv Mahomes as well.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you really want to maximize those players and build a team then quite frankly I would take both Baker and Patrick and then fill out my roster with Quentin, Myles, and Donald.

I then would open up bidding on Mahomes and demand at least one top player in return plus multiple high draft picks.

I think Denver, NYG, Washington, and many other teams would make huge offers.

I would then have QB Baker Mayfield, OG Quentin Nelson, DE Myles Garrett, DT Aaron Donald, ? TE  Evan Engram/SS Landon Collins + 2019 1st and 2nd + future 1st.  If it were Denver OLB/OR DE Bradley Chubb/Von Miller/RB Phil Lindsay plus the same package of picks.  Jacksonville CB Jalen Ramsey/?  plus picks.  Washington RB Derrius Guice/?  plus more picks etc.  

Because you want greatness and youth...

Patrick Mahomes
Aaron Donald (still only 27)
Kahlil Mack
Quenton Nelson
Travis Kelce

No way am I taking a RB or WR. 

I'm having a hard time figuring that one out too. He had a nice rookie year. But has yet to even play in a pressure-packed game, let alone win one.  I'd have him in my top ten quarterbacks in this scenario (#6 to be precise), but choosing him over Mahomes is nuts.
Wrong. Obviously if you have watched any Baker games, you'd know any game with Hue Jackson on the opposing sideline is his own personal Super Bowl.

Oh come on. Not on offense he's not. There's nobody on the Browns in the same room as Hill or Kelce.
They're not Hill or kelce sure, 

Meant to delete this part

I love Mahomes but saw a ***** in the AFC championship game.
You did? That he doesn't control the coin flip or prevent a linebacker from going off sides?

16/31, 295, 3/0, 117 rating. Against the Patriots.  Go ahead drive with 3 minutes left, Game tying drive with 32 seconds left. 

Dude was nails, but he can't do everything. 

How is any of that a *****?

Nick Chubb? Jarvis Landry? Njuku?   They may not be Chiefs-level talent, but they are certainly talented offensive weapons.
Chubb's great, but he doesn't play a valuable position.  Njoku has potential to develop into a top tier TE, but he's not there yet.  People fall on all different ends of the spectrum on Landry, but ultimately I think he's a good role player that isn't necessarily better than the other WR's on the team.  It wouldn't surprise me if he's playing somewhere else come 2020.

Wrong. Obviously if you have watched any Baker games, you'd know any game with Hue Jackson on the opposing sideline is his own personal Super Bowl.
Not liking an opposing coach, or playing in a game where you can knock a rival out of the playoffs is a nice way to add some importance to a game, but he still hasn't played a game where a wild card birth is on the line. Or any kind of win or go home game. He may excel in those situations. It's not a knock on him. There's just a ton of unanswered questions on him at this point. Not questions that will determine if he's good or not.  I think he's proven that already.  I just can't justify starting a franchise with him over a guy like Mahomes.

he still hasn't played a game where a wild card birth is on the line.
Cause his team went 0-16 the previous year not 10-4 like KC.  

KC actually had a playoff team and it wasn't QB'b by Mahomes so it wasn't due to his play.  They had a 10 win playoff team that he improved by 2 wins and one playoff win and 1 playoff loss.

Give Baker that team in his second year with a solid stable HC like Reid and then you can try to tell us about how much 'talent' Baker has surrounding him.

Cause his team went 0-16 the previous year not 10-4 like KC.  

KC actually had a playoff team and it wasn't QB'b by Mahomes so it wasn't due to his play.  They had a 10 win playoff team that he improved by 2 wins and one playoff win and 1 playoff loss.

Give Baker that team in his second year with a solid stable HC like Reid and then you can try to tell us about how much 'talent' Baker has surrounding him.
It's not a knock on him. But it's still a question mark. Andy Dalton has been a phenomenal regular season QB at times. He totally bombs every time he makes the playoffs. Some guys have just have that ice water in their veins that make them a clutch player. We have to see how Mayfield responds when Cleveland becomes a contender.

I was referring to the 1st half where he didn't put up any points and dug a hole that he couldn't get out of.  Looked like a case of the yips.
Considering the chiefs had a lead in the 4th it sure seems like they dug out of it. 

Admittedly, I didn't see the first half as I was leading a group of 2nd grade boys. Turned it on in the second half where Mahomes looked like a HOFer. 

We have to see how Mayfield responds when Cleveland becomes a contender.
Like when he has a playoff team surrounding him, not carrying an 0-16 team the previous year or with a combined record of 4-44 in the previous 3 seasons to nearly double that win total in his rookie season where he's on his 3rd head coach and 3rd offensive coordinator where he had a LT picked off of the WW and a WR picked off the WW starting by the end of the year.

He wasn't able to do anything till they went to the 4th option protecting his blind side and until they got rid of his terrible HC and OC.  He still doesn't have anything on par with Tyreek hill or Travis Kelce and the DL had the #1 and #2 leaders in snap counts with Myles Garrett and Larry Ogunjobi so that side of the field was gassed and showed woeful depth.  

Baker's team is nowhere near as competitive as Mahomes'.  

Considering the chiefs had a lead in the 4th it sure seems like they dug out of it. 

Admittedly, I didn't see the first half
You don't give Belichick and Brady an entire half without scoring a single point and expect to outscore them and win in the second half.  

Honestly, Pat looked like a young QB with a case of the yips in the first half.

I am surprised that nobody has gone with 5 lineman.  I would go with the top 2 tackles and center (I am not an expert on O-Line so I am not sure who those would be) with the best combination of age and salary and fill out the last two spots with Donald and Mack for half of my DL.  This game is won and lost in the trenches and I would build from there. 

You don't give Belichick and Brady an entire half without scoring a single point and expect to outscore them and win in the second half.  

Ok. If that game convinced you that he isn't the best young QB in the league right now, I'm not going to argue further. 

Ford takes two steps back or the coin lands tails, I'm pretty sure this is a different conversation.

Like when he has a playoff team surrounding him, not carrying an 0-16 team the previous year or with a combined record of 4-44 in the previous 3 seasons to nearly double that win total in his rookie season where he's on his 3rd head coach and 3rd offensive coordinator where he had a LT picked off of the WW and a WR picked off the WW starting by the end of the year.

He wasn't able to do anything till they went to the 4th option protecting his blind side and until they got rid of his terrible HC and OC.  He still doesn't have anything on par with Tyreek hill or Travis Kelce and the DL had the #1 and #2 leaders in snap counts with Myles Garrett and Larry Ogunjobi so that side of the field was gassed and showed woeful depth.  

Baker's team is nowhere near as competitive as Mahomes'.  

You're giving me reasons he has never played in a big game. Which I didn't ask for. I simply stated that we need to see how he responds under pressure.

Ok. If that game convinced you that he isn't the best young QB in the league right now, I'm not going to argue further. 

Ford takes two steps back or the coin lands tails, I'm pretty sure this is a different conversation.
Yup.  Say what you want about Mahomes having the yips in the first half but he got his team 31 points in the 2nd half and deadlocked at the end of regulation.  Should we also say that Brady had the yips in the 2nd half until about 4 minutes left?

You're giving me reasons he has never played in a big game. Which I didn't ask for. I simply stated that we need to see how he responds under pressure.
You've said many times that Baker has a lot of talent surrounding him which shows you don't now his team or what he's had to overcome.

Yup.  Say what you want about Mahomes having the yips in the first half but he got his team 31 points in the 2nd half and deadlocked at the end of regulation.  Should we also say that Brady had the yips in the 2nd half until about 4 minutes left?
He put up historically high stats heading into a home playoff game where he had the crowd on his side.  I did not expect zero points in the first half.

Trust me I was rootin' for him and KC but I thought he looked like a young QB caught up in and overcome by the moment and say what you will about his great comeback that fell short but he had a playoff team and he had Andy Reid and he had the home field advantage.  

People don't give Baker 'credit' for coming up short against Houston on the road where he threw for over 350 yards in the second half but fell short or when he fell short against Baltimore heading for the game winning FG but fell short, either of which would have guaranteed the first non-losing season for Cleveland since 2007, over a DECADE AGO.

Oh yeah, both of Baker's 'failed' comebacks were on the road not at home.

OL - Bakhtari, Quenton Nelson, Zack Martin

Pass Rush - Khalil Mack

CB - maybe Stephon Gilmore, but open for debate on this one

Thesis - give my QB above average amount of time to throw, and I don't need a proven stud, just someone capable who studies hard and can evolve as my OL gets older.  Give their QB less time, and I can't make their great QB into an average/below average QB.  Then give me a strong CB for the times they actually get a pass off, and I like my chances.

It's interesting to see how many people get sucked (my opinion) into shiny offensive things.  It's been shown time and time again that you win with a good oline and a good defense and a good qb...that being said

qb - Andrew Luck

OT - David Bakhtiari 

C - Jason Kelce

DE - Khalil Mack

DT - Aaron Donald

Users who are viewing this thread