What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official 2019 Dolphins Thread *** That's a wrap...now what do we do with the #5 pick? (1 Viewer)

The rest of this roster is definitely bad enough to overcome semi-competent QB play and still go 1-15.  
I hope so, it takes an epic level of bad to go 1-15. We still play Buffalo twice and the Jets twice (sorry I don't buy into Sam Darnold) the Bengals and Redskins.

I hope so, it takes an epic level of bad to go 1-15. We still play Buffalo twice and the Jets twice (sorry I don't buy into Sam Darnold) the Bengals and Redskins.
The Dolphins should be epic level bad the next two years. 

Fitzpatrick  will have no weapons on offense like he had in Tampa Bay and New York.

@ckparrot 16h16 hours ago

Here are the numbers of teams by win-count over the last 30 years and how many of them got the #1 pick with that record. 6-Win Teams: 0 of 91 5-Win Teams: 0 of 72 4-Win Teams: 1 of 70 3-Win Teams: 6 of 34 2-Win Teams: 12 of 21 1-Win Teams: 9 of 9 0-Win Teams: 2 of 2

<snip>

Fitzpatrick  will have no weapons on offense like he had in Tampa Bay and New York.
I disagree with this.  Stills Wilson and Drake are a good nucleus for a gun slinger, Grant has shown skills and if OShea can figure out not to play Gesicki inline he has the athletic ability to do some things.  

The OL ergo surviving will be the main issue.  

Fitz will also lose a couple games all by himself.  Some will be games they should/could have otherwise won, even some of his biggest performances.  As long as the D cooperates and doesn't bail him out the tank will be fine.

I’m good with Fitzpatrick. I mean, we all knew they were going to sign someone. The team does have some decent weapons offensively, but if they do not improve the o-line before the season I don’t know if a 38 year old is going to survive behind what they currently have. 

All going according to plan. You know Fitz has some back breaking INTs in him when the dolphins are in a game they shouldn't be. 

I think there will still be some trades for picks to get rid of more talent too. 

Rumor that Quinn has been dealt for a 6th. 

No pass rush at all for next season! One step closer to 1.01

Damien Woody stirred the pot asking if you'd trade two 1's for Russell Wilson and set Dolphins twitter ablaze.

I'm conflicted, in one way they'd have a good QB for a good long while ... on the other hand, he'd eat a sizable portion of the cap with the requisite new deal and there are bunches of holes in the roster.  

One key strategic plan to winning superbowls in this league seems to be to do it while your QB is on a rookie deal.  Big Ben, Wilson, Wentz were all on rookie deals when their team won, so they were not eating up such a huge portion of the cap.  Goff is on a rookie deal, they got to the Superbowl.  Mahomes is on a rookie deal, they were an OT away from the superbowl.  New England is obviously an argument against this strategy, but Brady is always on a team-friendly deal and Bill B has sold his soul to the devil, so that must be considered.  New Orleans is a good contrary argument - not saying its a 100% situation, just that recent trends have shown great success with QBs on rookie deals.

All of this to say, I would not trade 2 firsts for Wilson, as much as I love his game.  I would not trade one 1.  I am not sure I would sign him to a free agent deal for $30M+ per year.  There are 53 men on a roster.  All of those positions are important.  Eating up so much cap on one guy is detrimental to the team.  Green Bay didnt make the playoffs last year with arguably the best QB in the league. Matt Stafford is getting paid a ton, Detroit was awful. I am sure there are other examples.  When one guy is eating up such a large portion of the salary cap its tough to fill other holes.  

Stay the course, keep your picks, and build like Cleveland did.  They are going to be a very tough out for the next 4 years while Baker is cheap, and they fill every other hole around him.  To me, that is the model to follow.

If you wouldn't do it because of the contract size I can give you that, to not do it because two number ones is too high of a price is BS and that is what I have heard some people in general saying on the radio.  The rookie QB deal really is the way to go, get your 4 good years while you overspend other place and make a run. That said if you are successful you then need to pay that QB after the rookie deal so be prepared to let other free agents walk.

Why is it that Brady is always willing to take the team friendly deal ?  Is it Giselle's $400 million net worth ?  It seems like the NFLPA pressures every other player to try and get the max deal they can to set the market but the arguable GOAT QB they let take less money then Nick Foles and Joe Flacco. Is he that competitive that he doesn't care what the union thinks he is going to do what he can to win ?

Anyone else see Albert Wilson as a huge sleeper for this season? He looked good before getting hurt last year.

*edit - not that the coaches knew what to do with him

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone else see Albert Wilson as a huge sleeper for this season? He looked good before getting hurt last year.

*edit - not that the coaches knew what to do with him
Good reminder, I forgot about him. I like Wilson (too bad the Chiefs didn’t retain him as him and Mahomes would be a good match- rather have him there over Sammy). I think with Miami will most likely playing from behind the majority of the year so he will get his chances. He is a threat to take it to the house from anywhere on the field which is always a bonus.

Tannebaum going to espn and having zero to do with any portion of the org makes me happy. 

Tannebaum is in the top three of Ross'  bad ideas after Sparano and that Orange carpet nonsense.  

Now the landing spot for out of work AAF players.

Per FBG

Free-agent LB Tyrone Holmes, formerly of the Alliance of American Football's San Antonio Commanders, will sign an undisclosed contract with the Miami Dolphins, according to a source.

Free-agent DE Jayrone Elliott (AAF) was signed by the Miami Dolphins Monday, April 8, according to a source.

If you don't mind me asking, what is the Orange carpet nonsense? Now I'm intrigued.
When Ross took over ownership he got celebs to purchase limited partnerships and rolled them out on the "Orange Carpet" trying to make the team a happening instead of trying to build a better team. Some fans still hold that up as an example that he's not a good owner, I don't...he just didn't know what he was doing and only recently seems to have figured it out.  (fingers crossed)

Also it should've said "the handling of Sparano" 

Now the landing spot for out of work AAF players.

Per FBG

Free-agent LB Tyrone Holmes, formerly of the Alliance of American Football's San Antonio Commanders, will sign an undisclosed contract with the Miami Dolphins, according to a source.

Free-agent DE Jayrone Elliott (AAF) was signed by the Miami Dolphins Monday, April 8, according to a source.
7 total AAF guys so far.  

Reshad Jones didn't show and I'm not sure I care unless it means they're keeping TJ instead... of the two I'd prefer Reshad.  TJ took a lot of bad angles last year.

Schedule leaking out per Cannata ... the first 4 are a helluva way to break in a rookie HC and lots of cold at the end to show us what they’re made of.  Surprised to see a MNF 

Week 1 - BAL

Week 2 - NE

Week 3 - at DAL

Week 4 - LAC

Week 5 - BYE

Week 6 - WAS

Week 7 - at BUF

Week 8 - at PIT (MNF)

Week 9 - NYJ

Week 10 - at IND

Week 11 - BUF

Week 12 - at CLE

Week 13 - PHI

Week 14 - at NYJ

Week 15 - at NYG

Week 16 - CIN

Week 17 - at NE

On Twitter CK Parrot did an analysis on teams getting the first pick. 

Over the last 30 years, 100% of the teams that came out of the season with 0 or 1 wins were awarded the #1 overall pick. 

But only a little more than HALF of the 2-win teams were awarded the #1 pick, and less than 20% of the 3-win teams got it. And 4 wins? Forget about it.

My early prediction. Week 15 and 16 are the keys. Depends how much NYG and CIN are also tanking looking to draft a QB.

Week 1 - BAL - L

Week 2 - NE - L

Week 3 - at DAL - L

Week 4 - LAC - L

Week 5 - BYE

Week 6 - WAS - W

Week 7 - at BUF - L

Week 8 - at PIT (MNF) - L

Week 9 - NYJ - W

Week 10 - at IND - L

Week 11 - BUF - L

Week 12 - at CLE - L

Week 13 - PHI - L

Week 14 - at NYJ - L

Week 15 - at NYG - ?

Week 16 - CIN - ?

Week 17 - at NE - L

It's that time of year but more rumors that Miami might make an offer for Rosen if the Cardinals take Murray. For a 3rd round, even a 3rd and a 5th or something like that I like the idea. You play him this year, if he stinks you are still in place to draft a QB next year. All the bonus money is on Arizona's cap so you can cut him or keep him as a backup, hope he has good preseason games and flip him for something. Jonah Williams is my target at #13 barring someone really falling. 

It's that time of year but more rumors that Miami might make an offer for Rosen if the Cardinals take Murray. For a 3rd round, even a 3rd and a 5th or something like that I like the idea. You play him this year, if he stinks you are still in place to draft a QB next year. All the bonus money is on Arizona's cap so you can cut him or keep him as a backup, hope he has good preseason games and flip him for something. Jonah Williams is my target at #13 barring someone really falling. 
I think it will take more than a 3 and 5 at this point, but I would give up a 2 all day with the same logic you laid out.  Or a package including Rashad Jones and his $17M cap hit.

Third is as high as I'm willing to go for Rosen.  

I wouldn't hate if Simmons and his torn ACL is the pick... trade back and get Simmons preferably.  

Third is as high as I'm willing to go for Rosen.  

I wouldn't hate if Simmons and his torn ACL is the pick... trade back and get Simmons preferably.  
Why?  Dude was a top 10 pick last year than many thought should have gone at 4 to the Giants.  He suffered through a mediocre rookie season on a horrendously bad team that fired everyone after the season.  Sounds a lot like Jared Goff to me.  How has he gone from a potential top 5 pick to not being worth more than a 3rd?  Just based on his film from last year?   I think Rosen is easily worth a 2nd personally.  He has had a year to acclimate to NFL speed, he was not as bad as Goff looked (to me) as a rookie in a similar situation, and he is still cheap for 4 years.  Worth the risk to chase that upside.  Wondering if he had come out in this draft if he would not have been the first QB off the board.  

Why?  Dude was a top 10 pick last year than many thought should have gone at 4 to the Giants.  He suffered through a mediocre rookie season on a horrendously bad team that fired everyone after the season.  Sounds a lot like Jared Goff to me.  How has he gone from a potential top 5 pick to not being worth more than a 3rd?  Just based on his film from last year?   I think Rosen is easily worth a 2nd personally.  He has had a year to acclimate to NFL speed, he was not as bad as Goff looked (to me) as a rookie in a similar situation, and he is still cheap for 4 years.  Worth the risk to chase that upside.  Wondering if he had come out in this draft if he would not have been the first QB off the board.  
Problem is that the Dolphins obviously didn't like him last year, so why would they trade for him this year?

Honestly, gun shy on 2nd round QBs.  There's not a lot of demand, at this point likely only the Chargers.  3rd and a piece, perhaps... 

I like the idea of grabbing Rosen, but calling his rookie season mediocre is awfully generous.  It was terrible.

Goff made a nice turnaround, but going from Jeff Fisher to Sean McVay will do that to anyone.  I'm still not convinced Goff is a very good QB.

I don’t want Haskins either.

Trade back Roll with Fitz and a mid-late round Easton Stick. 

Mid to late round QB is fine.  Hard to imagine Fitz staying healthy all year behind that line....Get somebody some experience.  Grier is something I commonly see in mocks

If you aren't getting someone you think is going to be "the guy" don't use anything more then a 4th round pick.  Too many holes that need to be filled, they need starters or at least rotation guys at the top of the draft.

Speaking on WEEI, ESPN's Adam Schefter said the Dolphins and Giants are the only teams who have talked to the Cardinals about trading for Josh Rosen in recent weeks.

SOURCE: Mut and Callahan on Twitter

My guess WAS goes up for Haskins...  NYG go up from 17 for Jones, leaving MIA and possibly LAC as the only teams interested in Rosen.    

Smart move by Dolphins! I absolutely love what they have done in the offseason. 

Wilkins is an awesome pick. Unlike the dumb giants, dolphins brass know how to rebuild a roster.

Don't like having Clemson players on the Dolphins, but Wilkins is the best of their talented DL for sure.  Miami's DL is in shambles right now, so something there had to be the pick.

Glad they didn't go QB

A trade was a done deal for Philly to move up to 13 to take Wilkins and Miami pulled the plug last second.

Users who are viewing this thread