What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official 2019 Dolphins Thread *** That's a wrap...now what do we do with the #5 pick? (1 Viewer)

SwampDawg

Footballguy
So the rebuild seems to have been acknowledged by the owner and front office so don't expect a quick fix but hopefully this means it will be done right instead of just a band-aid.

What we know so far:

Head Coach - Nothing official but all signs point to Brian Flores from New England being named after the Super Bowl. All things I have read have a lot of people that worked with him saying he has all the makings and tools to be a great head coach and seemed destined for it. X's and O's wise he calls the plays for the New England D, not sure how much input he has into the design with Belichick.

Asst. Head Coach - Jim Caldwell, former head coach of Colts and Lions with a 62-50 career record and one Super Bowl appearance.

Defensive Coordinator - Patrick Graham

Offensive Coordinator - Chad O'Shea

Special Teams Coordinator - Will Darren Rizzi be back ?  Danny Crossman

QB - Tannehill ? Sign a free agent care keeper ? 2019 Draft ?   Fitzpatrick and Rosen

My thoughts, I haven't read anything negative on Flores, I like we went defensive head coach hopefully we bring in a solid offensive coordinator.  I would not have wanted Caldwell as the head coach but in this roll he lends value to a young first time coach. Hard to tell much from his time in Indy, he inherited Peyton Manning and a well oiled offense, made a Super Bowl and the playoffs then had a two win season without Peyton but that could even be considered a success as it netted Andrew Luck. I have a co-worker who is a big Colts fan and he was not a fan and was glad to see him leave Indy. In Detroit he was average with a historically average to below average franchise. Graham, looks like another young bright mind, went to Yale, coached for the Patriots, Giants and Packers three historically good franchises.

Now the question is do we root for Flores to call a good game in the Super Bowl meaning the Patriots likely win or do we hope our new coach is overwhelmed by the young offensive guru McVay and the Patriots lose ? The chance of a 9-7 Rams win is pretty low.

Last edited by a moderator:
Flores is growing on me the more I read... but it's early days.  I'm holding judgement on the whole group until there's more info.  I do feel better 

looks like they've filled their spots... 

Chris Grier - Marvin Allen - Brian Flores - Jim Caldwell - Chad O'Shea - Patrick Graham ---- and likely Rizzi.  

Hopefully Rizzi sticks around, but it is overall a pretty solid looking staff being put together.  A first time head coach having a guy like Caldwell on staff will be a big help.

Two more added to the staff according to FBG news blogger.

New York Giants outside linebackers coach Robbie Leonard and Jacksonville Jaguars defensive line coach Marion Hobby have reportedly agreed to join prospective new head coach Brian Flores' coaching staff with the Miami Dolphins in undisclosed capacities, according to sources.

4pm press conference today to introduce Flores as the next Dolphins head coach.  Coming off the defensive performance last night I hope he was responsible for 50% of the plan and play calling.

Odds on favorite to be the worst team in the league. If Wash. gets Foles then it's signed, sealed & delivered. Best move is draft D for 2 seasons and then pounce on Trevor Lawrence.

Odds on favorite to be the worst team in the league. If Wash. gets Foles then it's signed, sealed & delivered. Best move is draft D for 2 seasons and then pounce on Trevor Lawrence.
Dolphins aren’t that smart, are they?

I'm loving this off-season so far. Feels like they are doing a full rebuild finally. Tanking for Tua is on!

I'm loving this off-season so far. Feels like they are doing a full rebuild finally. Tanking for Tua is on!
Yep.  Amendola, Branch, and Larsen already out.  Wake ( :( ), Tannehill, and Parker seem on the way out too.  Doubt they resign James

I hope they resign James.   it'll be a shame to see Wake in a different uniform, if he leaves I hope he goes to a contender.  

So the rebuild is in full swing, and its fairly obvious.  However, with Josh Rosen apparently available for a 3rd round pick, that seems like a glaring value to me.  I know he wasnt too good last year, but a rookie going into a horrible situation and being asked to start too soon can explain away a lot of that.  Low salary, high upside, and some valuable NFL experience.  Seems like a low cost investment to me - not to diminish the significance of a 3rd round pick which is obviously very valuable - but the upside of a potential franchise QB who was drafted 10th overall (and it wasnt a stretch pick) just one season ago.  It may hurt the apparent plan to win 0 games this season...but if we can use our day one picks on other positions and fill the most important one with a high upside player for a 3rd rounder?  Seems like a no-brainer to me.

James signing in Denver and no splash signings could show a new course of accumulating compensatory picks...    

I'm not necessarily opposed to spending a 3rd on Rosen, but nothing more than that.  

The TANK is on !!!

If you're going to be bad might as well be 0-16 type bad.

So many seasons of 8-8, 6-10, 5-11 where we wind up with draft picks between 8 to 13.

Tear it all down, tank to 0-16 and get your QB next year - cause we know all to well finishing mid pack gets you nowhere. Can start drafting/building both lines now.

If you can get Rosen for a 3rd on a rookie contract that is a no brainer to me to take a look at him. If he sucks you don't win many games which works out well, if the change of scenery turns him around and he shows what made him the 10th overall pick and many thought the best pro style QB taken last year you may solve the QB problem.  Much better option then Tyrod Taylor. 

Sounds like Parker is coming back on a 2 year 13 million prove it type deal. All specifics not out yet. Don't hate it honestly. Especially if incentives are tied to production and health. 

I love what they are doing overall. It’s a nice change seeing the team not trying to win free agency. Looking forward to the draft. Tank for Tua is on 👍

I’ll miss Wake. He is one of my top 5 favorites of all time. Hope he gets a chance to win before he retires. 

I love what they are doing overall. It’s a nice change seeing the team not trying to win free agency. Looking forward to the draft. Tank for Tua is on 👍

I’ll miss Wake. He is one of my top 5 favorites of all time. Hope he gets a chance to win before he retires. 
Well said - agree 100%.

We need a TANK with no brakes.

So Teddy is now back in play...  hmm.  
Yeah, I hate this idea and I like Bridgewater. He’s just good enough to keep us in mediocre purgatory, but isn’t the answer long term. Really hope they don’t do this. I like the Bortles idea much more. I also wouldn’t mind getting Rosen if the price is a 3rd. 

Not sure if it’s true, but I also read that if they give Bridgewater over a certain amount of money, it will probably cost them the comp pick they would get for losing James. This would be such a bad move. 

The Saints restructured Brees clearing cap space trying to lock down Teddy.  I'm with holding judgement on this until more specifics come out... wonder if the Saints are really planning on Teddy to takeover in 2020 or just telling him what he wants to hear. 

They're winning FA this year.  If you're measuring it by not going over the number they've set for everyone.  Years past they'd've gone all in on AB Bell and everyone else...  

All in all I'm on board with what they've done thus far ...  just wondering, like everyone is, about QB.  contract is below.  if they keep Ryan, his cap hit is real low.   

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/miami-dolphins/ryan-tannehill-9818/ 

YEAR AGE BASE SALARYSIGNINGWORKOUT RESTRUCTURE  CAP HIT     DEAD CAP

2019  31  $18,725,000  $2,300,000 $25,000     $5,561,666        $26,611,666     $13,423,334

2020  32  $19,497,000  -                    $25,000    $5,561,668       $25,083,668     $5,561,668

Fox sports made it sound like they could have had Teddy if they promised him the starting job for this year but they would not commit to cutting Tannehill.  Can't blame the guy if that is true, would you rather sit behind Brees with a chance to take that franchise over or compete with Tanne for a chance at this one ?  At this point keeping Tanne and the first ding he gets putting Falk in sounds like the best plan to tank.

Tannehill to the Titans...   now who takes snaps?   

Miami gets a 2020 4th RD & 7th in 2019.

Tenn gets Ryan Tannehill and 6th in 2019.

So already an extra 4th next year and likely a 3rd from compensatory next year.  Certainly stocking the warchest should they fall short of the #1 pick next year. 

This is exactly what I would want my team to do if it was mediocre at best. Tank hard, get rid of big contracts to take dead money hits now. Excellent job by the Dolphins. Every teams goal should be to win championships. Dolphins has no shot so now they can do a big rebuild instead of risking winning too many games and miss out on chance to draft a franchise qb.

they should identify young talent currently on roster and sign them to long term deals with most of money being paid in two years.

This is exactly what I would want my team to do if it was mediocre at best. Tank hard, get rid of big contracts to take dead money hits now. Excellent job by the Dolphins. Every teams goal should be to win championships. Dolphins has no shot so now they can do a big rebuild instead of risking winning too many games and miss out on chance to draft a franchise qb.

they should identify young talent currently on roster and sign them to long term deals with most of money being paid in two years.
All of this 👍

Finally doing it the right way. 

Reshad Jones/Mia - Mar 14 2018Converted $9.375M of his 2018 salary to bonus, clearing $6.66M in cap space for Miami (MIA)

Does this mean Jones survives the purge for at least the 2019 season?

JohnnyU said:
I would wait and tank in 2020 for Lawrence.
This looks like a complete rebuild so if done right, they should be below 3 wins the next two years. I don’t think they will have a problem getting number one two years in a row if they stay the course.

FitzMagic. Not sure how I feel about that. They’ll forfeit one of the compensatory picks and likely suck less then perhaps they should. 

Or perhaps they’ve signed him to mentor a rook. 

FitzMagic should make our games this year a little more interesting, but might suffer our long term rebuild by a few picks.

tkrull said:
Reshad Jones/Mia - Mar 14 2018Converted $9.375M of his 2018 salary to bonus, clearing $6.66M in cap space for Miami (MIA) 

Does this mean Jones survives the purge for at least the 2019 season? 
It makes him a lot more tradeable, that's for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread