What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Phone interview tips- Decision time (pg 2) (1 Viewer)

Caesar

Footballguy
I have a couple of phone interviews coming up in the next week, and wanted to see what the advice (schtick) of the FFA could come up with.  One of them is one on one and the other is me calling into a conference call, which is completely new to me for a job interview, but that is the job I really want.

I seem to do very well in face to face interviews, but phone interviews don't seem to go so well, and I am not sure why.  

I interview people now at my job, but we do not do phone interviews at all.  All of them are face to face, so I'm wholly unfamiliar with what a good one sounds lile.  

Any advice from those of you who do this frequently?  As I said, I am very excited to even be considered for the conference call interview, but I know it can go south if I am not prepared.

TIA.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hate phone interviews because you can't judge the "crowd's face."  Dress comfortably and pick a spot with no distractions.  I also still use my hands as if I was in front of someone.  

Good luck!

Breathing heavily seems to work making everyone uncomfortable, but the trick is to do it AND sound intelligent at the same time. Total freaks out the interviewer, because they are thinking:

"Man, this dude sounds smart, but why is he breathing so heavy."

Obviously, make sure you're prepped.  One thing that I like to do is have my notes out and ready but then I pace near them as I do the interview.  It helps keep me focused on the phone rather than getting distracted by random crap around the house.

Breathing heavily seems to work making everyone uncomfortable, but the trick is to do it AND sound intelligent at the same time. Total freaks out the interviewer, because they are thinking:

"Man, this dude sounds smart, but why is he breathing so heavy."
I'm fat.  This may not be a choice.

Do the interview while naked - I’m not sure it will help but will be a funny anecdote to tell your new co-workers if you get the job.

Obviously, make sure you're prepped.  One thing that I like to do is have my notes out and ready but then I pace near them as I do the interview.  It helps keep me focused on the phone rather than getting distracted by random crap around the house.
I just wish I knew what kind of questions they are going to ask me.  Is it the standard interview questions?  I am not very good on the phone anyway, so I am more nervous about this than I would be if I were doing it in person.  What notes would you make?  Best answers to standard interview questions?  

All kidding aside, with a phone interview you'll need to elaborate a lot more in your questions/answers given the absence of body language. And you'll have to mitigate any uncomfortable long pauses. So be prepared to more fully answer questions without over-rambling.

I just wish I knew what kind of questions they are going to ask me.  Is it the standard interview questions?  I am not very good on the phone anyway, so I am more nervous about this than I would be if I were doing it in person.  What notes would you make?  Best answers to standard interview questions?  
Should be the same type of questions they'd do in a face to face interview.  At least, that's the way I've always done it and had done to me.  My notes are generally highlights of my accomplishments that would pertain to the position (e.g. - I've run X, Y, and Z type of fryers, that's why I'd be the best for the fry position at McDs) and then whatever questions I have about the company/position that I want to make sure I don't forget to ask.

Should be the same type of questions they'd do in a face to face interview.  At least, that's the way I've always done it and had done to me.  My notes are generally highlights of my accomplishments that would pertain to the position (e.g. - I've run X, Y, and Z type of fryers, that's why I'd be the best for the fry position at McDs) and then whatever questions I have about the company/position that I want to make sure I don't forget to ask.
Great advice.  I wish I knew more specifics of the position.  The posting is somewhat vague, but I am sure I can find some equivalent type experience based on what I do know.  My resume was a match, so that is a good place to start, I guess.

In my experience phone interviews are often a kind of pre-screen to make sure you seem like a good fit before bringing you in for a more formal interview, that way either party isnt wasting a lot of time
Right.  So this is where I do better in person.  

Should I have the phone on speaker so I can use my hands if I need to, or should I use the phone receiver... land line or cell?   If I use a land line, I will be calling from my job, which could be... awkward. 

I seem to do very well in face to face interviews, but phone interviews don't seem to go so well, and I am not sure why.  
Many times it's the interviewer multi-tasking that makes it seem like there's awkwardness or you're not getting the expected responses or engagement. 

Did you try Glassdoor? You can often get an idea of what types of questions (and sometimes the actual ones) others have had. 

In my experience phone interviews are often a kind of pre-screen to make sure you seem like a good fit before bringing you in for a more formal interview, that way either party isnt wasting a lot of time
Right, it's usually to screen out the obvious dunder-heads that can't carry a conversation or don't know what they are talking about.

Another thing for interviews (phone or face-to-face), remember that they don't know the answers to the questions they're asking.  So you don't have to be 100% accurate or truthful, really.

"What was your greatest accomplishment at Company X?"

"Describe a time you overcame an obstacle and what process you used."

If you can't think of one right away, make a story up.  It's better than spending 5 minutes going, "Ummmm, let me think..." I'm not advocating lying to get a job, but I am saying you should do it if you want the job.

Make sure you avoid the outside distractions like the barking dog, loud kids, wind (if you plan on being outside) - get yourself someplace where you will not be interrupted - seems obvious, but you would be surprised!!

Make sure you avoid the outside distractions like the barking dog, loud kids, wind (if you plan on being outside) - get yourself someplace where you will not be interrupted - seems obvious, but you would be surprised!!
On that same note, avoid eating beans right before the interview.

Do the call from the bathroom..
I actually did this once.

I hadn't been in contact with anyone yet, other than sending in my resume, and here was no specific time set up for a call. I was sitting on the toilet and the phone rang. When I answered, the voice at the other end just said that they were calling about the position I had applied for and wanted to spend a few minutes talking to me. Took about 30 minutes.

Phone interviews are awkward.  You cannot read body language to adjust your answers and pace.  You cannot use body language to help your answers so it leads to awkwardness.  Without knowing what type of position you are interviewing for it makes it difficult on how to prepare answer wise.  However, the biggest thing is to be relaxed and try and show your personality.

• Get to a place that is quiet with no distractions. 
  • Have your resume handy in case they ask specifics off the resume. 
  • Write down any questions you have about the job or clarifications you may have (remember you are interviewing them as much as they are interviewing you). 
  • Smile - you would be surprised how this helps your tone of voice
  • Relax. 
Good Luck

i hate phone interviews because no matter what you try phones do not talk it ends up that phones are not life forms and so when you ask them a question they just sit there and do not answer if you are lucky they might ring and then you pick it up and some telemarkerter laroosh is asking if you need affordable health insurance or telling you your vehicles warranty is up and its like hey really i was unaware there was still any warranty remaining on my 86 ford tempo but ill take your word for it since you asked for my credit card number basically phone interviews are bad news take that to the bank bromigos 

I hadn't been in contact with anyone yet, other than sending in my resume, and here was no specific time set up for a call. I was sitting on the toilet and the phone rang. When I answered, the voice at the other end just said that they were calling about the position I had applied for and wanted to spend a few minutes talking to me. Took about 30 minutes.
The interview or the bathroom?

Phone interviews are awkward.  You cannot read body language to adjust your answers and pace.  You cannot use body language to help your answers so it leads to awkwardness.  Without knowing what type of position you are interviewing for it makes it difficult on how to prepare answer wise.  However, the biggest thing is to be relaxed and try and show your personality.

• Get to a place that is quiet with no distractions. 
  • Have your resume handy in case they ask specifics off the resume. 
  • Write down any questions you have about the job or clarifications you may have (remember you are interviewing them as much as they are interviewing you). 
  • Smile - you would be surprised how this helps your tone of voice
  • Relax. 
Good Luck
Good stuff here.  The other thing that will make the second interview (the one with the Reds) awkward is that it is a conference call.  I have no idea how many people and in what positions they hold will be on the call.  I probably should have asked that when the woman called me to set up the time, but I wasn't thinking about that at the time.

Should I email her back and ask for some specifics so that I can be better prepared?  

Get yourself a headset or use blu tooth and do it standing up.  The advantage of the added energy and clarity of thought will help make up for what you give up in not being in person.  Especially if you sit at a desk for a living, you'll find this could be a game changer for you.  GL.

Good stuff here.  The other thing that will make the second interview (the one with the Reds) awkward is that it is a conference call.  I have no idea how many people and in what positions they hold will be on the call.  I probably should have asked that when the woman called me to set up the time, but I wasn't thinking about that at the time.

Should I email her back and ask for some specifics so that I can be better prepared?  
I wouldn't ask.  It's not going to affect how you interview.  But be sure to write down everyone's name when they say it.  That way you can thank them at the end or address them by name.  It can show that you're really paying attention.

for the conference call, know who is there and who they are.  write down their names, even where they are sitting in th room.  shows you are engaged.  a new buzz thing is thanking people for their question or telling them “i’m glad you asked that” or “that’s a great question”.  people love that crap.

for the conference call, know who is there and who they are.  write down their names, even where they are sitting in th room.  shows you are engaged.  a new buzz thing is thanking people for their question or telling them “i’m glad you asked that” or “that’s a great question”.  people love that crap.
It is not a video conference call.  I think I wish it was as that would at least allow me to feel like I'm in a virtual face to face.  

So, not sure I can write down where they are sitting.  

Love the advice on padding their own egos.  

Don't do that last part too much.  I honestly hate when people say that.  If it's a good question, say it.  But don't come off disingenuous.  It can be off putting.

Hemorrhoids?

It wouldn't hurt anything to have that information.  It would be a big benefit to at least know the positions that the people on the conference call hold.  It could help you anticipate the type of questions you may be getting from them. 

I had a conference call interview for a government position and it was the most awkward interview I was ever involved in.  Mainly it was because they had a standard 5 questions that they asked every interviewee and were not allowed to provide any additional information to the question.  It was very one sided with lots of awkward pauses with little to no interaction. 

I am assuming this will be more fluid with some interaction between the participants so it should be less awkward. 

Yesterday I had a phone screen with an HR person. No, this was not that other experience I posted about.😊

She emailed a list of questions for me to answer and return prior to our discussion that would serve as discussion starters. During the phonecall she asked me to expand on a couple of the questions. Otherwise, most of the call was her telling me about the company, their hiring process etc. I don't mind having to think on my feet, but I felt this way was more productive.

She did it this way because she prefers it herself, not because it is required. The workforce is heavily engineers and scientists. She indicated that her background is as a scientist and I suspect that that is why she does it.

Of course, I've also had the pleasure of the phone interview being the lady talk for 25 minutes about what the job is and then at the end ask me, "Do you have experience with...?", which I didn't.  And then the interview is over.  And I would think, "Why didn't she ask that first instead of wasting my time telling me about a company I never had a chance to work for?"  :rant:

I dunno.  I don't do anything differently depending on the interview type.  Be yourself.

Be on time.  Look the part (I'm doing skype interviews a lot lately). Do your research.  Have your questions ready.  Answer questions thoughtfully and completely while not going into filibuster mode.  Nothing turns me off more than someone going on endlessly without even taking a pause or breath.

I look at interviews as mutual due diligence.  I often ask as many questions as I get asked.  Sometimes you express your knowledge better through questions than answers.  Seems to work for me.  I'm 56 and to this day I have never interviewed for a job and not be offered the position.  Would like to keep that streak going.

The problem with the phone interview is that you are really going to have to verbally sell them on your all-cotton uniforms idea without the benefit of visuals.  

1. Be animated/charismatic.

2. Don't worry about filling gaps of silence after you answer your question.

3. Have you notes laid out in front of you.

Users who are viewing this thread