What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Help me relocate to TN (1 Viewer)

The Dude

Footballguy
So I will be retiring this year.  If I moved next year, I would have a wife and 6th grade grandson with me.  Here's a list of criteria (some have some flexibility)

Spend under $300K on home - building is an option

Schooling for middle school and high school - prefer good HS sports for soccer and basketball

More city than rural

Need to get back to work - will check in later

look brohan i have a strict policy about helping people move yeah you might get a few beers and some pizza at the end of it but its not worth the thrown out back and wasted day moving crap up stairs that people should just throw out anyhow so look my advice is just hire some movers and forget about it take that to the bank brochacho

SWC beat me to it.  I don't know you well enough to help you relocate.  Maybe we hang out a bit and watch a few games to get to know each other better first. 

Are you settled on Tennessee?  There are other states in the union that you could go to.

Edited to Add:  I just dislike Tennessee in general because I had a family member that was raped in Tennessee and I recommend to anyone that I meet to not move or go there.  I know that is a stereotype, but it is like if you get food poisoning from a food, you tend to want to avoid that situation again.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've lived in TN for many years and love it. 

Depends more on what you want. 

Why have you settled on TN?

How important is a bigger city with pro sports and such to you?

Where are you moving from? What do you love about where you live now? What do you not like about it?

In northern IL.  Taxes to high, government broke, snow.  

TN fits the bill of not having those issues - plus I have family in IL and would like to be able to get back on a whim and a day's drive. 

Plus easy drive to other locations (Carolinas, coast, FL, NO)

I think I would like to go to a couple of Titans games a year - but not enough to strongly influence location - could always do a hotel for the weekend.

My Aunt traveled a ton during her career with Delta and built many homes, mostly in up and coming places in Florida.  When it came time to retire, she researched throughout the U.S. and decided this was the best place.  Went there once.  Beautiful.  Has everything I'd want in retirement from a recreation perspective.  Have to make the call if sports/culture, etc is close enough for you.

https://tellicovillage.org/

In northern IL.  Taxes to high, government broke, snow.  

TN fits the bill of not having those issues - plus I have family in IL and would like to be able to get back on a whim and a day's drive. 

Plus easy drive to other locations (Carolinas, coast, FL, NO)

I think I would like to go to a couple of Titans games a year - but not enough to strongly influence location - could always do a hotel for the weekend.
We have no state income tax and other taxes are reasonable. Snow maybe once or twice a year and not much. Our government is in a good spot. Bill Haslam just left office as Governor. Bill Lee, our new guy seems like a similar guy and there is optimism. 

We have what I think is a great climate with four distinct seasons. 

The three main areas are West, Central and East (that's where the 3 stars on the state flag come from). Memphis (West) is soulful and a bit older feeling. Lots of history. Terrain is more flat. Nashville (Central) is a booming city where it seems like everyone there is not from there. Similar to an Austin vibe. Knoxville (East) is where the Smoky Mountains start and much different terrain. We have the State University and it's the smallest of the 3. Chattanooga is south east of Knoxville and rad too. 

We have no state income tax and other taxes are reasonable. Snow maybe once or twice a year and not much. Our government is in a good spot. Bill Haslam just left office as Governor. Bill Lee, our new guy seems like a similar guy and there is optimism. 

We have what I think is a great climate with four distinct seasons. 

The three main areas are West, Central and East (that's where the 3 stars on the state flag come from). Memphis (West) is soulful and a bit older feeling. Lots of history. Terrain is more flat. Nashville (Central) is a booming city where it seems like everyone there is not from there. Similar to an Austin vibe. Knoxville (East) is where the Smoky Mountains start and much different terrain. We have the State University and it's the smallest of the 3. Chattanooga is south east of Knoxville and rad too. 

Sometimes all in one week.

My Aunt traveled a ton during her career with Delta and built many homes, mostly in up and coming places in Florida.  When it came time to retire, she researched throughout the U.S. and decided this was the best place.  Went there once.  Beautiful.  Has everything I'd want in retirement from a recreation perspective.  Have to make the call if sports/culture, etc is close enough for you.

https://tellicovillage.org/
It helps too as 90% of the residents are from Michigan or Illinois if that matters. The Tellico Village folks love telling everyone who'll listen "how we do it up north". :lmao:  

Memphis is a dump, the rest is fine. I was in Knoxville last week. It’s kinda meh, I prefer Chattanooga and over to Nashville. 

Memphis is far from a dump. Where is home for you?
Atlanta. I passed my client off there so I didn’t have to go back. 

Also so the fact that the biggest draws are either Graceland or a big shiny pyramid housing a Bass Pro Shop cracks me up. 

Atlanta. I passed my client off there so I didn’t have to go back. 

Also so the fact that the biggest draws are either Graceland or a big shiny pyramid housing a Bass Pro Shop cracks me up. 
What is the biggest draw in Atlanta?  I'm not hear to knock Atlanta, but culturally speaking, it seems remarkably anodyne (thanks @Evilgrin 72!)

What is the biggest draw in Atlanta?  I'm not hear to knock Atlanta, but culturally speaking, it seems remarkably anodyne (thanks @Evilgrin 72!)
College football HOF, Largest Aquarium in the world, world of Coca Cola, lots of MLK stuff, Centennial Park from the Olympics, there’s a Six Flags,  Oakland Cemetary is ok (Bobby Jones and others are there) etc...  most of it I don’t bother with anymore. 

I’m not here to espouse how great Atlanta is, I prefer not to get into the traffic and other problems already. I’m just saying Memphis sucks. 

one place that is not nice is scranton brohan the best thing to do in scranton is sit at the bus terminal and wait to leave scranton take that to the bank bromigos 

College football HOF, Largest Aquarium in the world, world of Coca Cola, lots of MLK stuff, Centennial Park from the Olympics, there’s a Six Flags,  Oakland Cemetary is ok (Bobby Jones and others are there) etc...  most of it I don’t bother with anymore. 

I’m not here to espouse how great Atlanta is, I prefer not to get into the traffic and other problems already. I’m just saying Memphis sucks. 
Okie doke.  We're comparing cheeseburgers and Caesar's salad w/grilled chicken breast.  There's room for both in my diet, so I won't argue.

Okie doke.  We're comparing cheeseburgers and Caesar's salad w/grilled chicken breast.  There's room for both in my diet, so I won't argue.
I’m not sure what Atlanta has to do with anything. I’m not promoting Atlanta or even saying it’s that great. The guy was asking about Tennessee - I have clients in Tennessee so I travel through a decent bit. Knoxville is ok, Chattanooga is cool, Nashville is amazing, and Memphis is run down.  

Weird crowd here.  Guy asks a question, people get whiny with an honest answer. 

Edit: it’s not like it’s not a widely known thing either...   Memphis came in at #4 on worst cities to live in.

https://247wallst.com/special-report/2018/06/10/50-worst-cities-to-live-in-3/2/

Unfortunately they haven’t quite overtaken the quality of life you’d get in Compton but hey, they’re better than Flint, Michigan!

I’m not sure what Atlanta has to do with anything. I’m not promoting Atlanta or even saying it’s that great. The guy was asking about Tennessee - I have clients in Tennessee so I travel through a decent bit. Knoxville is ok, Chattanooga is cool, Nashville is amazing, and Memphis is rundown.  
I think your opinion of communities is based solely upon suburban amenities.  You are not alone; in fact, you represent a near-majority.

I’m not sure what Atlanta has to do with anything. I’m not promoting Atlanta or even saying it’s that great. The guy was asking about Tennessee - I have clients in Tennessee so I travel through a decent bit. Knoxville is ok, Chattanooga is cool, Nashville is amazing, and Memphis is run down.  

Weird crowd here.  Guy asks a question, people get whiny with an honest answer. 

Edit: it’s not like it’s not a widely known thing either...   Memphis came in at #4 on worst cities to live in.

https://247wallst.com/special-report/2018/06/10/50-worst-cities-to-live-in-3/2/

Unfortunately they haven’t quite overtaken the quality of life you’d get in Compton but hey, they’re better than Flint, Michigan!
You're not whiny, but you are ironic.  My last post in this thread. 

Sorry OP.  Soccer moms are a tough crowd.

ETA: maybe you are a little whiny.

I think your opinion of communities is based solely upon suburban amenities.  You are not alone; in fact, you represent a near-majority.
I would disagree, but that’s not really relevant anyway. The guy said more city than rural and with good schools... I’ve never been to the outside areas of Memphis — I fly in (airport isn’t bad), I drive through the dump of a city, meet with people, drive through the dump back to the airport and leave.  

Sorry I offended your town.  

fun fact scranton is known as the electric city and no one really even cares and it almost filed bankruptcy take that to the bank brohans

it was called the electric city because it had electric lights when the best thing your city can say is well we have electric lights the answer is move take that to the bank brohans 

sounds like you're moving to Franklin, TN
Williamson county has some of the best public schools in the state.  However you will pay to live in this county.  I know I live here and work in the school system.  25 minutes from heart of Nashville.  Traffic sucks donkey balls.

fun fact basically ever since about 1930 people have been fleeing scranton and its population shrinking take that to the bank bromigo

people will say there is a vibrant night life in scranton but those people are lying there isnt take that to the bank brohans 

Williamson county has some of the best public schools in the state.  However you will pay to live in this county.  I know I live here and work in the school system.  25 minutes from heart of Nashville.  Traffic sucks donkey balls.
Traffic sucks donkey balls everywhere.

On to the question.  I do dig Murfreesboro a bit (thought don't live there). Close enough to Nashville but not too close.

Im close to but not in Mt Juliet...I’d avoid it as it became the place in the east side where everyone loved and has gotten too damn crowded and busy.  If out this way Id push further east to Lebanon.

Move to Norris. Quaint little town that is like going back in time but close enough to Knoxville to have access to anything you want/need. I'd love to move there. 

scranton bills itself as a suburb of nashville but 12 hours and 41 minutes is not an easy commute and the laroosholes at the scranton tourism bureau should be sued for lying take that to the bank 
I never get tired of this schtick...

• Thanks
Reactions: SWC
All good. He can stay in Atlanta. 
Not to hijack this but I would never recommend to somebody to retire to Atlanta.  I think the number one thing we have going is jobs.  Lots of options and large companies to choose from.  Traffic is horrible.  There’s a lot to do but it’s really spread out.  I think it’s a great place to raise a family but again, I wouldn’t move here during retirement.

Not to hijack this but I would never recommend to somebody to retire to Atlanta.  I think the number one thing we have going is jobs.  Lots of options and large companies to choose from.  Traffic is horrible.  There’s a lot to do but it’s really spread out.  I think it’s a great place to raise a family but again, I wouldn’t move here during retirement.
I agree and never once even vouched or even stated Atlanta was great. Two people got their feelings hurt that I said Memphis sucks, and asked me where I lived. They decided to change the focus, and I still haven’t read a reason why they think Memphis is a nice place.

bigmarc27 said:
I agree and never once even vouched or even stated Atlanta was great. Two people got their feelings hurt that I said Memphis sucks, and asked me where I lived. They decided to change the focus, and I still haven’t read a reason why they think Memphis is a nice place.
:lmao:  Disagreeing with you that "Memphis is a dump" is far from "feelings hurt".

Memphis is great. If you don't think so, that's awesome. Less people that don't want to be there is always better. :shrug:

It does have it's share of poor people and economically depressed areas. 

What exactly do you mean when you say "it's a dump"?

:lmao:  Disagreeing with you that "Memphis is a dump" is far from "feelings hurt".

Memphis is great. If you don't think so, that's awesome. Less people that don't want to be there is always better. :shrug:

It does have it's share of poor people and economically depressed areas. 

What exactly do you mean when you say "it's a dump"?
Someone calling me a “soccer mom” and saying I’m whining is mighty passive aggressive.

Why is it a dump?  I don’t think this is some unheard of opinion.  Have you driven through there?  Is it being the #2 in the US for violent crime?  That doesn’t help.  Is it being the center of the “meth belt?”  Could be. Good news is Memphis dropped to #2 in the U.S. for child poverty and overall poverty!  It is in very close proximity to Arkansas and Mississippi, so if they ever needed anything to do they could...  well, they could drive to Arkansas and Mississippi.  It pops up in the top 10 worst places to live year after year, so let’s not pretend it’s everyone’s favorite place. If you like it, you like it.  I had to step over needles and disengage from a very aggressive homeless man my last time through, but I’m sure it’s a good spot for a retiring couple and their grandchild. 

It’s not an indictment on the entire State, most of the rest I enjoy very much and will always take an opportunity to head to Nashville. I’ve yet to hear one good reason why this would be a fit for OP and his family? 

Da Guru said:
I was in Murfreesboro a couple times and always liked it there. Not far from Nashville.
Love the borough. We thought we were going to retire nearby, Murfreesboro or Chattanooga. even bought 8 acres vacant land in liberty (somewhat near Cookeville) we're still deciding whether to sell or build on it. All of my in-laws are in that area.

scottybo said:
Big fan of East TN.

Chattanooga/Maryville/Knoxville/Lynchburg.

Retiring to East TN in about 30 yrs.
Lynchburg isn't really East Tennessee, but we love it If we sell the land mentioned above we'll probably buy a lake house in Lynchburg or Winchester.

we're just south of the border in Huntsville. It's all a great area. 

Users who are viewing this thread