What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Deebo Samuel, SF (1 Viewer)

Do you think it's fair to say that Campbell's choice of school played into this, and rather significantly?
It didnt stop others. Most recently Curtis Samuel

The stats don't lie... and they say if you miss on both of those things you are likely to not be a fantasy wr1. Chances are better he is a decent wr2. I think Deebo has wr1 potential in ppr. 

ETA: I realize Deebo doesnt meet these either, however he is darn close. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Ended up getting Deebo in 3/5 rookie drafts.

I think he has a reasonable chance to lead all rookie WRs in receptions + yards, and to be the top FF WR on the 49ers next year. Athletically, he brings a lot to the table. Big, strong, and more explosive than you think. Dangerous in the open field.

Rookie WRs are a bit of a crapshoot, but his play style is about athleticism and RAC skills more than precise routes and technique, so I think he's going to be able to hit the ground running better than many of his rookie peers. You look at SF's WR group and they really don't have much, especially when it comes to consistent chain movers.

I'm thinking a JuJu --- Boldin range for his rookie year is possible if everything clicks right. He's a guy that I'd be looking to steal in best ball drafts and as a late round flyer in standard redrafts. In dynasty, I have him as a top 5 rookie in this draft, neck-and-neck with Brown and Harry among the WRs. I think he's a high floor player and very unlikely to be a flop. In my estimation he is the most talented WR on the Niners by some distance.

If your model is predicting that Curtis Samuel is on track to be a WR1, then you need a new model.
No. You can search my thread if you wish to see it. The model rules out people who are unlikely to be wr1. It's a quick skim off the top to take away likely misses. 

Its like: not all crazy people are serial killers, but all serial killers are crazy. 

Not all people who meet the criteria are wr1s, but 90% of wr1s meet these criteria (>25% dominator, >50% breakout age) over the last decade.

To go one step further 70% of wr1s over the last decade meet >30% dominator and >50th percentile breakout age. 

ETA: fantasy wr1s in ppr not nfl

No. You can search my thread if you wish to see it. The model rules out people who are unlikely to be wr1. It's a quick skim off the top to take away likely misses.
What is the fudge factor involved when you admit that Deebo doesn't meet the criteria either, but is "darn close"?

What is the fudge factor involved when you admit that Deebo doesn't meet the criteria either, but is "darn close"?
That's a good question. I would say it's a hard line cut off for me in general. If someone meets the dominator % but is within 3 percentage points of 50% for a breakout season qualification, I'd probably consider him more than a guy who misses on both criteria. The biggest red flag for Campbell is his breakout age to me. It's quite late. 

FTR I passed on Deebo 5 times, taking AJ Brown, JJAW, Isabella at WR before Deebo at 2.4 (he was last man standing).  However, considering the alternatives were Campbell and Hardman, I was quite pleased Deebo was last left. I did consider him at 2.1. I think he has solid PPR potential and has a greater chance at wr1 than Campbell by a lot. I think he is a fairly safe WR with a high floor. 

FTR I passed on Deebo 5 times, taking AJ Brown, JJAW, Isabella at WR before Deebo at 2.4 (he was last man standing).  However, considering the alternatives were Campbell and Hardman, I was quite pleased Deebo was last left. I did consider him at 2.1. I think he has solid PPR potential and has a greater chance at wr1 than Campbell by a lot
Conversely, I took Campbell ahead of all of these guys and think he’s the surest bet for a true WR1 out of the entire lot. 

Hilton isn’t going to be around for much longer, but Luck and that offense will. 

Conversely, I took Campbell ahead of all of these guys and think he’s the surest bet for a true WR1 out of the entire lot. 

Hilton isn’t going to be around for much longer, but Luck and that offense will. 
Yeah most people who like Campbell see him as the default WR1 in this offense if/when Hilton leaves. I disagree. If I'm wrong and he does, then he has a good route toward being a fantasy wr1, but he would be a significant outlier. So the odds are not in his favor. 

IND has a LOT of cap space in 2020... They could go out and sign a pretty talented wr if they wanted to. Campbell is more of a gadget wr my mind, but I'm plenty wrong in other places so maybe I'm wrong about him.

Deebo and Campbell are very different types of WRs. I see Deebos talent translating better for fantasy success. But Campbell is in a better offense right now. So we will see I guess. IMO JJAW is better than all of them 5 years from now. 

Deebo and Campbell are very different types of WRs. I see Deebos talent translating better for fantasy success. But Campbell is in a better offense right now. So we will see I guess. IMO JJAW is better than all of them 5 years from now. 
For those of you who are in low 1st round and high 2nd round, they probably are sweet spot to select receivers with the highest ceiling.  Deebo, Campbell, and JJAW are on that list. 

That's a good question. I would say it's a hard line cut off for me in general. If someone meets the dominator % but is within 3 percentage points of 50% for a breakout season qualification, I'd probably consider him more than a guy who misses on both criteria. The biggest red flag for Campbell is his breakout age to me. It's quite late. 
I know this isn't the Campbell thread but what are your thoughts on his breakout age when you factor in that Ohio State is not a passing program? Last year represents a massive outlier for the program as a whole. He's only one of 5 WRs to ever post 1k yards with Ohio in a single season and Haskins was far and away the most productive single season QB in their history. Makes me wonder if you just throw him out as far as models go when there's so much outlier stuff going on in his breakout year

I know this isn't the Campbell thread but what are your thoughts on his breakout age when you factor in that Ohio State is not a passing program? Last year represents a massive outlier for the program as a whole. He's only one of 5 WRs to ever post 1k yards with Ohio in a single season and Haskins was far and away the most productive single season QB in their history. Makes me wonder if you just throw him out as far as models go when there's so much outlier stuff going on in his breakout year
I think it's also fair to ask what the model said about someone like Michael Thomas who also came out of that school and subsequently excelled in the NFL.  I'm not trying to compare the two as talents, but I think the college history is similar.

I think it's also fair to ask what the model said about someone like Michael Thomas who also came out of that school and subsequently excelled in the NFL.  I'm not trying to compare the two as talents, but I think the college history is similar.
Yes it would be nice too see the past couple of draft classes and theie breakdowns... @Dr. Dan

For those of you who are in low 1st round and high 2nd round, they probably are sweet spot to select receivers with the highest ceiling.  Deebo, Campbell, and JJAW are on that list. 
How can you leave Isabella off the highest ceiling list? Imo highest ceiling lowest floor of the group.

tangfoot said:
Thomas is one of the few outliers. Its listed in my thread

Michael Thomas had a 36.9% (79 percentile) dominator... even in an offense that doesnt pass well. That's huge.

Campbell is at 23.5% (31 percentile)

From Player Profiler: For example, a 35+% dominator indicates that a wide receiver has the potential to be a team’s No. 1 WR and/or a high caliber contributor.

Saying Campbell can do it because he went to the same school as Michael Thomas, and he did it, is apples to oranges. VERY different dominator scores

FTR: I'm not extremely high on Deebo as I am other wrs in this class, but I'd much prefer him to Campell... 10/10 times. Campbell reportedly is going to play in the slot at Indy... and reportedly running a bunch of gadget plays and bubble screens. Good luck with that production. Meanwhile Samuel is the favorite for the Flanker position. which is the most productive in that offensive scheme

I'm not saying it's impossible for Campbell to be a good wr, or elite fantasy option. Based on history, it is unlikely and he would be an outlier. So would Deebo. I miss enough, I dont need to start betting on outliers

I'm not saying it's impossible for Campbell to be a good wr, or elite fantasy option. Based on history, it is unlikely and he would be an outlier. So would Deebo. I miss enough, I dont need to start betting on outliers
Except Campbell can do it. Factual statement. Whether or not he does, another matter. Succeeding would not make him an outlier either, generally speaking. Almost every reciever could be considered an outlier on one metric or another. But it shouldn't surprise anybody when a mid second does well.

Back to Deebo, sort of. I know you like him, which is cool. In doing so you look past the break out age and dominator thing. Yeah, you have to consider context with these metrics, I get it. Why not with Campbell too? A lot of posters have offered reasonable explanations for his late and un-impressive stats at Ohio St. 

Back to Deebo, sort of. I know you like him, which is cool. In doing so you look past the break out age and dominator thing. Yeah, you have to consider context with these metrics, I get it. Why not with Campbell too? A lot of posters have offered reasonable explanations for his late and un-impressive stats at Ohio St. 
The dominator is fine. It's quite a bit low from what PP says a future NFL wr1 should be. but it meets the 1b threshold of 25% for a future wr1 or wr2 in fantasy

The breakout age is very close. 3 percentage points off. I wouldn't say I'm looking past that. I downgraded Deebo to WR6 and 14th rookie overall, largely because of it. Deebo is the top player on my trade bait. I'd rather trade him for a future 1st round pick if I could. 

What I like about Deebo is his route running, toughness, and his hands. I think he has an opportunity comparable to Harry, Metcalf, and Hollywood. In the NFL it's all about opportunity. 

He would be an exception, outlier, whatever we want to call it, to the wr1 (or wr2) miss detector if he were to have a wonderful career. IMO we could go back and look at his stats and say, well he wasnt that far off from meeting them. I looked for possible reasons for exceptions long enough ago. Marquise Brown was a possible one to consider since he went to JUCO and couldnt break out until he did. There are 1 or 2 more. Its not that you bend the rules for them, but you look at the data and you make a decision for yourself. of all the players who missed, Deebo was at the top for me. 

Is Pettis now a WR3 with WR2 upside now with Deebo being WR2 with WR1 upside?  I guess what I’m asking is Pettis no longer the guy? Pettis was drafted 8 picks later last year as the 4th WR taken. 

Is Pettis now a WR3 with WR2 upside now with Deebo being WR2 with WR1 upside?  I guess what I’m asking is Pettis no longer the guy? Pettis was drafted 8 picks later last year as the 4th WR taken. 
There are people on each side of that coin. I'm in the, it remains to be seen camp, either guy could emerge. 

What I like about Deebo is his route running, toughness, and his hands.
Now we're on the same page.  I think there's been some pretty good success among the most advanced rookie route runners in the past few seasons and "immediate" NFL/fantasy success.

Guys like Diggs, Kupp and to a much lesser extent due to injury, Coutee.

It's the reason I'm bullish on both Riley Ridley and Terry McLaurin this season as well.

Now we're on the same page.  I think there's been some pretty good success among the most advanced rookie route runners in the past few seasons and "immediate" NFL/fantasy success.

Guys like Diggs, Kupp and to a much lesser extent due to injury, Coutee.

It's the reason I'm bullish on both Riley Ridley and Terry McLaurin this season as well.
Keenan allen...to name another....some guys can just play the position

I sure hope I don't regret taking AJ Brown over Deebo in like 4 or 5 leagues. I do like both players for the record...

49ers second-round WR Deebo Samuel is sitting out minicamp with a hip injury.

Samuel got in some work at OTAs before going down. With Samuel and third-rounder Jalen Hurd (knee) sidelined, the 49ers have been giving Marquise Goodwin first-team reps. The missed time is a setback for Samuel, but his training camp status isn't in doubt.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Jun 12, 2019, 10:41 AM ET

The Athletic's Matt Barrows projects Deebo Samuel as the 49ers' No. 2/starting "Z" receiver.

This is in line with what NBC Bay Area's Matt Maiocco predicted immediately following Samuel's selection at No. 36 overall. Barrows expects Dante Pettis to be the No. 1/"X," giving the Niners an extremely young starting tandem. It will be a risk/reward proposition for a team hoping to finally get a full season of play from Jimmy Garoppolo.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Jun 18, 2019, 3:38 PM ET

Nick Wagoner @nwagoner

Rookie WR Deebo Samuel had what was probably his most impactful practice (at least in team) today. After picking up some yards on a reverse, he caught three balls in a short span, including one that might have gone for a TD. Had been fairly quiet previously.

A drop on a deep pass:

Rob Lowder @Rob_Lowder

#49ersCamp Notes - Day 9: More of the drops. Deebo Samuel beat Dontae Johnson deep down the left sideline. Nick Mullens gave him a beautiful pass that Samuel dropped in the end zone. The Jugs machine is going to be busy after practice. #49ers

He was looking good during the 1-on-1 drills prior to the drop in team drills:

Nick Wagoner @nwagoner 

WR Deebo Samuel had a strong 1-on-1 period in the red zone, beating Jason Verrett, Dontae Johnson and Greg Mabin for would-be touchdowns. That followed some good reps on Sunday but was tempered a bit by a drop on a well-thrown ball from Nick Mullens later in team drills.

NBC Sports' Matt Maiocco reports rookie receivers Deebo Samuel and Jalen Hurd "have shown the kind of aggressive mentalities that coach Kyle Shanahan wants to see."

The rookies are reportedly impressing this offseason, while projected No. 1 receiver Dante Pettis "has yet to consistently step up his game on the practice field." It's worth noting and monitoring, but it would be a surprise to see either rookie surpass Pettis as the top receiver on the Niners. Samuel is projected to be the No. 2 while Hurd operates as a gadget, do-all player.

RELATED: 

Jalen Hurd

SOURCE: NBC Sports

Aug 8, 2019, 6:59 PM ET

Jimmy G threw 5 consecutive INTs in practice today.he tossed 3 INTs in the opening game last season. 

just sayin ..

Jimmy G is NOT ready for prime time.. he's a lesser QB who will kill the fantasy value of studs like Deebo and Kittle.  

Jimmy G threw 5 consecutive INTs in practice today.he tossed 3 INTs in the opening game last season. 

just sayin ..

Jimmy G is NOT ready for prime time.. he's a lesser QB who will kill the fantasy value of studs like Deebo and Kittle.  
We’ve already dubbed Deebo a stud?

just sayin ..

And zero INTs in the next two games. And those 3 INTs came against Minnesota, one of the stronger defensees in the league and a top 5 pass defense. And his best receivers behind Kittle were a fullback (Juszczyk) and a rookie kick returner (Pettis). But I get it, I also don't let the facts get in the way of a good story. I mean, that same week, Fitzmagic threw 4 TDs and +400 yards, rushed for another TD, and beat the Saints. He's so ready for prime time that he is on the verge of losing the starting job on another Florida team to the Cards' sloppy seconds.

Users who are viewing this thread