What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Your Top 10 Movies Not In Most Others'Top 25 (1 Viewer)

My best memory of this movie came during the summer of my 1st job out of college. Eurotrip came out my senior year of college. A buddy and I were working a crappy 2nd shift QA job in a manufacturing plant right out of college. We both had 2 way walky-talky radios on the production floor to communicate with production supervisors and maintenance guys although we worked in entirely different areas of the floor and never saw each other. Everyone with a radio had their frequency set to channel 1. The name of one of the maintenance guys on our shift was conveniently named Scotty. Once a week during that summer my buddy and I would wait until the early evening to make sure top management had gone home for the day, set our radios to channel 3 and then have this exchange:

Hey, this piece of equipment broke down

Did you call Scotty to fix it

Yeah, Scotty doesn't know how to fix it

What? I didn't hear that

Scotty doesn't know

The person with the italicized lines would start singing Scotty Doesn't Know over the radio and could clearly be heard within 10-20 ft radius of the other person's radio. The person not singing was responsible for doing a jacked up dance while the other guy was singing. About a third of the 2nd shift folks were recent high school grads or college kids working there for a summer job before heading back to college. All of them enjoyed the Scotty Doesn't Know reference and sometimes would join in on the dancing if their supervisor wasn't around.
I was also a recent college grad going with my best friend, who was still in college. We actually went to the movie theater not knowing what we would see, checked out the options and, not liking any of them, figured let's just see this Eurotrip, there will probably be some hot chicks and nudity. We had never heard of the movie and went in with no expectations beyond that, and we were shocked by how much we loved it. Maybe the most we've ever laughed at a movie in the theater. I ended up having the movie on in the background of his bachelor party eight years later. For years, I was showing the movie to friends and telling everyone about it. No one seemed to know about it. Everyone would joke because, as you can see, I have a lot of film student movies on my list and then Eurotrip.

I went to a 10-year anniversary showing of Eurotrip in Hollywood with a Q&A from the cast and crew afterward. The three directors/writers/producers met at Harvard, believe it or not, and that's how they got Matt Damon -- they knew him because he was attending Harvard at the same time. They've all had great success. Alec Berg is showrunner for Barry and Silicon Valley, Jeff Schaeffer was showrunner for The League, David Mandel is showrunner on Veep. They all have been writers and producers and Curb Your Enthusiasm and, before Eurotrip, on Seinfeld. Scotty, Cooper, Jennie and Jamie were all at the anniversary showing as well. It was the most fun Q&A I've been to and, living in LA, I go to a lot. I remember I wrote something about it that I posted on this forum at that time, but it seems to be gone so here's an Entertainment Weekly article on it.

My next 10:

Ace in the Hole

Some Came Running

Sideways

Midnight In Paris

Her

Match Point

Risky Business 

To Be or Not To Be

American Graffiti 

Quiz Show

Last edited by a moderator:
Excalibur

Dawn Of The Dead (original)

The Road Warrior

Somewhere In Time

Airplane

Ordinary People

LA Confidential

Boyz N The Hood

Picnic

Animal House

*Shakespeare in Love. great movie.  qualifies if most means FBGS

Ninotchka — Greta Garbo laughs is the tagline. It’s great to see an actress with a serious reputation get to play off it and let loose in this Ernst Lubitsch screwball comedy.
This is playing tomorrow afternoon on TCM - just a heads up for anybody (like me) who has not seen it.  DVR set.

I made my list first, then read the topic...left out so many, but this is what I had originally.

Appaloosa - very basic, but the relationship between Ed Harris and Virgo Mortensen grips you the entire way

The Hundred Foot Journey - love Helen Mirren and this is just a great story about breaking down barriers and outside of constraints.

Hudson Hawk - guilty pleasure, but it works for me.

The Goodbye Girl - I’m kind of a sucker for Neil Simon and non-gentrified NY.

Moonstruck - Cher's Oscar was manufactured, but it’s still fun and I can’t seem to escape it when I come across it. 

Eastern Promises - some favorites are emerging, Virgo is awesome in this.  Most awkward fight scene ever.

Galaxy Quest - peak Alan Rickman; ‘I see you found a way to get your shirt off...’

Biloxi Blues - Again, Neil Simon...but Chris Walken as Sgt. Erwin J. Toomey is a great turn.

The Town - my ‘Holy, Ben Affleck is an awesome director’ movie...

Stand and Deliver - First movie to really inspire me as I was taking calculus at the time. Soft spot.

Only Lovers Left Alive -  I think it's a nice, somber character study of vampires in the modern age.  I think the use of music is outstanding throughout the film.

What We Do In the Shadows - Another look at the lives of vampires in modern times, but from a comedy perspective.  

Just about anything done by Hayao Miyazaki.  For animated movies that are age appropriate for kids, my opinion is that his movies are so much better than anything Disney, Pixar, or DreamWorks  puts out.  Special shout out to my personal favorite, Porco Rosso.

I think Drive, Zombieland, and The Thing have already been mentioned.

Users who are viewing this thread