What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Joe Biden Campaign Thread (3 Viewers)

Joe is not going to be the nominee. Listen to him speak. He’s obviously too old. Has difficulty putting coherent sentences together. The Dems have to have someone better. Poor Joe. 

He sent out a fundraising email about Biden accepting "big $ contributions from lobbyists".  That's not about Biden's record.  He's painting Joe in the same light he painted HRC, suggesting he's been bought off by Wall Street.  It's an attack on Joe's character and values.  It's the kind of attack that when you make it, your supporters can't just turn on a dime in the general and get past it.  
Because Joe does take money from big money donors and he is brazen about the access he allows them because of it. There is video of him telling a crowd when a guy raises lots of money for you if course you take his call and hear him out. Of course you do that's the problem. If he's so proud of it why shouldn't it be pointed out? Why shouldn't it be mentioned he took a lot of money from the credit card industry and wrote a bankruptcy bill that was very business friendly but not very consumer friendly?

Run on your record or run from it.

By the way the vast majority of Bernie voters, over 80%, turned out for Hillary. Might want to talk to Obama voters who switched sides that's where your grudge lies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Horse crap. One of the key elements of Bernie Sanders is:

Pointing out an explicit difference in Bernie's candidacy and the candidacy of another Democrat hopeful is no more an attack than pointing out the differences between Trump and Sanders on the environment. Biden's started a Super-PAC and accepted lobbyist donations. Biden kicked off his campaign thusly:

https://www.ft.com/content/7dcd9164-67d0-11e9-9adc-98bf1d35a056

If Biden didn't want this difference pointed out, he could have made different choices. Now, it's no different than the college tuition plans, the approach to the environment or the myriad differences between the candidates. Some take lobbyist money. Some don't.
I disagree.  Bernie can differentiate himself from Biden on policy without insinuating that Biden's policy positions are bought. 

To be honest I wasn’t aware of the fundraising email tommy referred to when I wrote that earlier; I had heard Bernie live very respectfully list his differences with Biden and I thought to myself, “this is the way to do it. So classy.” 

Criticizing a candidate based on who gives him or her  donations comes a little closer to the line for me, I have to admit- but it doesn’t cross it, not unless Bernie made a direct comment accusing Biden of corruption. That would very much surprise and depress me, and I don’t anticipate it. Still, what tommy described makes me a little bit uncomfortable. 

There is absolutely nothing wrong without pointing out where your support is coming from in comparison to your competitors if you think it's worth noting.  Never has been, never will be.  It's also true that Bernie is a millionaire now because of his book deal.  Feel free to point that out if it makes you feel better :lol:  

Depends on the issue. Not on immigration. Not on spending. Not on taxes.

But on free trade? The role of NATO? Our international commitments? A rejection of Trump's isolationism and extremism? Maybe. I sure hope so.
Gonna be fun to watch the guy who voted for the $6 trillion dollar war in Iraq make the case against Trump’s isolationism.  Cue the Curb You Enthusiasm music. 

Gonna be fun to watch the guy who voted for the $6 trillion dollar war in Iraq make the case against Trump’s isolationism.  Cue the Curb You Enthusiasm music. 
It won’t be fun. It’s supremely easy to tear apart President Trump’s foreign policy, to demonstrate just how terrible it’s been. But it won’t be amusing in the slightest. Just sad and pathetic. 

Biden is all in on Pennsylvania. In addition to Saturday's Campaign Kickoff Rally at Philly Art Museum, his national HQ will be down the street in Center City. 
He's not my #1 at this stage, but I'd probably go over there if he gets the nomination.

Biden is all in on Pennsylvania. In addition to Saturday's Campaign Kickoff Rally at Philly Art Museum, his national HQ will be down the street in Center City. 
He's not my #1 at this stage, but I'd probably go over there if he gets the nomination.
Everybody knows that Pennsylvania is the key to beating Trump. The latest polling has Biden winning in Pennsylvania by 10 points. That’s the largest margin; next is Bernie by 7. 

If Biden maintains that 10 pt number then he will very likely be the nominee no matter what happens in the debates or between now and the start of the primaries. 

If Biden maintains that 10 pt number then he will very likely be the nominee no matter what happens in the debates or between now and the start of the primaries. 
This Axios article talks about his strategy of acting like he already has the nom.

https://www.axios.com/joe-biden-early-win-2020-democratic-primaries-505726c9-ecd7-4fa3-970e-c99920287b42.html

It's also a theme in the NYT article I posted yesterday, on Biden-Sanders -- that limiting their "competitive universe" to each other suggests they're the only candidates and separates them.

Being afraid to have a discussion on where a politicians money is coming from or calling such a discussion foul territory is why this country cannot and will not make any progress.

Everybody knows that Pennsylvania is the key to beating Trump. The latest polling has Biden winning in Pennsylvania by 10 points. That’s the largest margin; next is Bernie by 7. 

Joe is the man!

Every election cycle merely confirms for me an ongoing indictment of our system, particularly our two party system.  Biden is a man of average intelligence, at best.  A man who is a plagiarizer and one beholden to special interests.  He is a weather vain, turning for convenience to align with the winds of the day.  he is not  a compass which knows true north regardless of location or the weather or whether it be day or night. If this is the best and brightest, a man to lead us, we are in trouble.  I say we go out and capture the best and brightest.  We net him or her like trying to capture an animal.  We drag them kicking and screaming to the oval office and we force them to do the job, since the best and brightest are too smart to want to do the job but under duress.  We have a few posters here who would do a far better job and we are a small community.

I say we sneak up on Maurile, conk him on his noggin, hog tie him, and drop him at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue before he knows what hit him.  Then we round up Henry Ford and Big Bottom and do the same to them as Maurile will need a cabinet.

Every election cycle merely confirms for me an ongoing indictment of our system, particularly our two party system.  Biden is a man of average intelligence, at best.  A man who is a plagiarizer and one beholden to special interests.  He is a weather vain, turning for convenience to align with the winds of the day.  he is not  a compass which knows true north regardless of location or the weather or whether it be day or night. If this is the best and brightest, a man to lead us, we are in trouble.  I say we go out and capture the best and brightest.  We net him or her like trying to capture an animal.  We drag them kicking and screaming to the oval office and we force them to do the job, since the best and brightest are too smart to want to do the job but under duress.  We have a few posters here who would do a far better job and we are a small community.

I say we sneak up on Maurile, conk him on his noggin, hog tie him, and drop him at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue before he knows what hit him.  Then we round up Henry Ford and Big Bottom and do the same to them as Maurile will need a cabinet.
@Doctor Detroit for Secretary of Defense - not only because he's smart and a good fit but we also need a black guy.  It seems impossible but we may be more white (and definitely more male) than the current administration.  Thankfully we have @WetDream or one of us would have to bite the bullet to fill out that demographic.  I'M WILLING TO LEARN

I'll take the VA no coercion neccessary. 

NCCommish said:
I'll take the VA no coercion neccessary. 
But part of the appeal of my plan, to me at least, is that we get to net all these folks and drag them kicking and screaming to service.  Their objection is proof of their fitness for duty just as the opposite is certainly true for most cases.  How about we give you a head start of say 10 seconds and then we try to dart you with a hypodermic full of happiness?

But part of the appeal of my plan, to me at least, is that we get to net all these folks and drag them kicking and screaming to service.  Their objection is proof of their fitness for duty just as the opposite is certainly true for most cases.  How about we give you a head start of say 10 seconds and then we try to dart you with a hypodermic full of happiness?
Sounds like a plan.

Anybody else watching this train wreck of a kick off rally?  :lmao:  
One of the nice things about Biden is that conservatives can't really criticize him for most things, because Trump has already done it -- but worse.

He's the "Simpsons did it!" of presidential candidates.

Biden says he’s running as a bipartisan candidate who can bring people together?  The same guy who spent a good 6 years with Obama bashing and blaming Bush for everything and dividing the country?  Is this real life?

Lol. Everything is a train wreck with you. Guy is the clear favorite for the nomination, he’s beating the pants off Trump in the states that matter (10 points + in Pennsylvania). Things could easily change, but right now Joe Biden looks like our next President- except not in your alternative reality. 

Biden says he’s running as a bipartisan candidate who can bring people together?  The same guy who spent a good 6 years with Obama bashing and blaming Bush for everything and dividing the country?  Is this real life?
He did?  Have a link to him bashing Bush for everything anything he did that was divisive?

Note:  I’m not a huge Biden fan...I’d rather see Buttigieg get the nomination.  But yes I think Obama can work in a bipartisan manner because of his experience in Congress.

I was there. Other than the heckler police had there eye on from before the event started, and the cyclist riding around the perimeter blowing a whistle to disrupt things. it went quite well.
Good music, too. I did notice, from a strategy point that, every person who took the stage before Jill Biden (invocation, Pledge, Anthem, Choir, student organizer) was black or latina.ANd all female exc. for some of the choir,

One of the nice things about Biden is that conservatives can't really criticize him for most things, because Trump has already done it -- but worse.

He's the "Simpsons did it!" of presidential candidates.
So being a loser of a lesser magnitude is a winning formula these days?

I was there. Other than the heckler police had there eye on from before the event started, and the cyclist riding around the perimeter blowing a whistle to disrupt things. it went quite well.
Good music, too. I did notice, from a strategy point that, every person who took the stage before Jill Biden (invocation, Pledge, Anthem, Choir, student organizer) was black or latina.ANd all female exc. for some of the choir,
Lol sometimes this forum is really great.

OP: Anybody watching this train wreck of a rally?

A: Yeah I was there.

Have you ever heard Donald Trump talk about George Bush?

Trump guy: "Obama was the real divider!"
Non-Trump guy: "Oh really? Why do you say that?"
Trump guy: "Because he didn't tolerate people like me!"
Non-Trump guy: :mellow:

He did?  Have a link to him bashing Bush for everything anything he did that was divisive?

Note:  I’m not a huge Biden fan...I’d rather see Buttigieg get the nomination.  But yes I think Obama can work in a bipartisan manner because of his experience in Congress.
Oh? Mitch is going to suddenly want to hold hands around the campfire? You guys need to get over the bipartisan pipe dream. Anyone selling it to you is either not paying attention or lying. Both mean bad things for we the people. We need a whole new set of Republicans before it's even a possibility. 

Oh? Mitch is going to suddenly want to hold hands around the campfire? You guys need to get over the bipartisan pipe dream. Anyone selling it to you is either not paying attention or lying. Both mean bad things for we the people. We need a whole new set of Republicans before it's even a possibility. 
I agree it’s a pipe dream in a way...but I think he can try and portray himself that way given he does have relationships with these people. 

:mellow:

Former Vice President Joe Biden announced his education plan at a town hall in Houston hosted by the American Federation of Teachers Tuesday afternoon, but it's his awkward moment with a 10-year-old girl that has people scratching their heads.

Taking questions from the crowd, Biden addressed the girl, who asked him about divisions in this country, Politico reported.

I'll bet you're as bright as you are good-looking," Biden reportedly told her.

The odd occurrence didn't end there.

After telling Biden her favorite subject is journalism, he led her to the back to meet the press corps and put his hands on her shoulders, Politico reported.
https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/amp/Joe-Biden-Houston-10-year-old-girl-awkward-13903645.php

Regular reminder that not one person here or anywhere else has the slightest ####ing clue how this election will play out.

Hillary was thought to be more electable than Obama in '08.  This problem was supposed to be exacerbated when the GOP nominated the eminently electable John McCain. And once he got everyone on the right enthused by picking the, young, telegenic, headline-stealing VP nominee Sarah Palin.  People were fired up!

In 2012 it was Romney's turn to be the electable one. The GOP breathed a sigh of relief when he cruised to the nomination over extremists like Rick Santorum (who won Iowa) and others.  And everyone expected that their candidate would be able to take advantage of GOP enthusiasm post-Obamacare and Obama's low approval ratings to cruise an easy victory, especially once they paired him with Tea Party/College Republican darling Paul Ryan.

2016?  Well, everyone knows how the electability stuff played out on the GOP side.

In conclusion:

1. Remember that Twitter/social media is not real life

2. Vote for whoever you think would be the best president in the Dem primary, electability aside

3. Whoever wins the Dem primary would be a massive upgrade from Trump; the differences are only in degree. So work like hell to get them elected and vote for them, for the good of the country, even they weren't your first choice (they probably won't be)

4. Remember that nobody knows ####, including people who study voting patterns down to the precinct level as a career. Even those people can't offer any more then conflicted semi-educated guesses about how this will all play out, and your opinion carries far less weight than their opinion.
Getting my Pete checks ready!

When I say it seems to me the "I was Co-Captain with Obama" card should be super strong, this is what I mean.

ABC News: Americans rank Barack Obama as best president of their lifetimes: Poll
If Biden can win on a platform of "the last four years were bad; let's rewind to the previous administration," it will be like the election of 1892.

Grover Cleveland was President from 1884 to 1888. In the 1888 election, Benjamin Harrison challenged Cleveland, and although Cleveland won the popular vote, Harrison won the electoral college and succeeded Cleveland as President.

After taking office, Harrison enacted a bunch of tariffs. The tariffs were unpopular, so in 1892, Cleveland pretty much ran against Harrison on the platform I described above: "the last four years were bad; let's rewind to the previous administration." Cleveland's official slogan was "Tariff reform!" Harrison's slogan was "Harrison and Protection!"

The voters liked the rewind idea. Cleveland became both the 22nd and 24th President of the United States, with Harrison's single term sandwiched in between.

In Biden's case, we wouldn't literally reinstate the previous administration, but I do think he'd benefit from trying to market it that way.

If Biden can win on a platform of "the last four years were bad; let's rewind to the previous administration," it will be like the election of 1892.

Grover Cleveland was President from 1884 to 1888. In the 1888 election, Benjamin Harrison challenged Cleveland, and although Cleveland won the popular vote, Harrison won the electoral college and succeeded Cleveland as President.

After taking office, Harrison enacted a bunch of tariffs. The tariffs were unpopular, so in 1892, Cleveland pretty much ran against Harrison on the platform I described above: "the last four years were bad; let's rewind to the previous administration." Cleveland's official slogan was "Tariff reform!" Harrison's slogan was "Harrison and Protection!"

The voters liked the rewind idea. Cleveland became both the 22nd and 24th President of the United States, with Harrison's single term sandwiched in between.

In Biden's case, we wouldn't literally reinstate the previous administration, but I do think he'd benefit from trying to market it that way.
"Remember when you were younger, ten pounds lighter, had a head full of hair and you didn't hate your spouse? Let's go back to those times. Vote for Biden!" 

Users who are viewing this thread