What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Joe Biden Campaign Thread (1 Viewer)

A task force set up by Joe Biden and former presidential contender Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) released a sweeping set of platform recommendations on Wednesday that lays out a progressive roadmap for Democrats, though one that falls short of Sanders’s push for radical change.

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/506439-biden-and-sanders-unity-task-force-roll-out-democratic-platform

The task force, which was launched in May, laid out its platform recommendations on a number of key issues including climate change, criminal justice reform, immigration policies, health care, education and the economy in a 110-page document. 

Biden and Sanders focused heavily on police reforms and reducing incarceration following the death of George Floyd while in police custody, which has sparked nationwide protests. The health care platform focuses on expanding ObamaCare, rather than moving toward Sanders’s "Medicare for All." The commission also called for environmental reforms, including carbon-free electricity generation by 2035. 

Sanders and Biden formed the task force shortly after the progressive senator endorsed Biden, despite their disagreements on a number of key issues including Medicare for All. 

The task force is made up of an ideologically diverse group of Democrats including Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.) and former Secretary of State John Kerry.  

“While Joe Biden and I, and our supporters, have strong disagreements about some of the most important issues facing our country, we also understand that we must come together in order to defeat Donald Trump, the most dangerous president in modern American history,” Sanders said in a statement. 

Biden also praised the work of the task force, saying it has led to a "bold, transformative platform." 

"I am deeply grateful to Senator Sanders for working together to unite our party, and deliver real, lasting change for generations to come," Biden said. 

The health care platform outlined in the document makes no mention of Sanders’s signature Medicare for All plan, which would eliminate private health insurance and cover all Americans under a single government-administered plan. 

Instead, the proposal suggests allowing Americans to keep their private health insurance, while also insisting on a so-called public option that would be administered by Medicare.

Americans who do not qualify for Medicaid, the government program that extends health coverage to certain low-income Americans, but still fall below a certain income threshold will be automatically enrolled in the new public option for free, though they will be given the opportunity to opt out of the program.

On criminal justice reform, Democrats pledged to overhaul a system they say has led to “criminalized poverty” and “overpoliced and underserved Black and brown communities.”

Criminal justice reform has taken on additional gravity amid the national uproar over the death of Floyd.

The criminal justice reform commission, which was chaired by Rep. Bobby Scott (D-Va.) and Chiraag Bains, a Justice Department official during the Obama administration, vowed to reduce incarceration and make it easier for former prisoners to reintegrate into society.

“Democrats believe in redemption,” the report states. “We must deepen our commitment to helping those who have served their time re-enter society, earn a good living, and participate in our democracy as the full citizens they are.”

Regarding the police, the commission said it wants all officers to wear body cameras and to end the practice of sending surplus military weapons to local police precincts.

The Democrats will implement procedures to ensure that local police forces are diverse and feature officers who come from within the community.

The Democrats would end the “War on Drugs,” decriminalize and reschedule marijuana and end the practice of cash bail. The report supports ending the use of private prisons and investing in additional training for officers with a focus on avoiding the use of force when possible.

There is an emphasis in the report on ending the “school to prison pipeline” by ensuring that young people of color are not arrested in classrooms for minor offenses that could be handled by school officials.

And there is a focus on sending young people to community-based alternatives to prison, when appropriate.

“If you aren’t old enough to drink, you aren’t old enough to be sentenced to life without parole,” the report states.

On the economy, Democrats have a long list of proposals they said would even the playing field for the working class and racial minorities amid the coronavirus pandemic.

The Democrats said they would reform the unemployment insurance system to ensure that more workers are covered, as well as expand paid sick leave protections.

They plan to extend aid to local governments to address budget shortfalls from the coronavirus shutdown and extend new loans to help small businesses stay open and make payroll. Democrats said they would also increase oversight of large businesses to ensure federal grants are not being used to enrich CEOs or shareholders.

The Democrats support raising the minimum wage to $15 an hour while raising taxes on corporations and the nation’s wealthiest.

To address income and wealth inequality among minorities, the Democrats said they would ensure equal access to banking and financial services, expand access to credit and work to boost home ownership.

The Democrats are also promising to guarantee early childhood education, provide tuition-free access to public colleges for families making less than $125,000, cancel up to $10,000 of student debt for families and limit interest on student loans.

“The economy is not working for the American people,” the economic commission, which was chaired by Rep. Karen Bass (D-Calif.) and Sara Nelson, the president of the Association of Flight Attendants-CWA, concluded in the report.

“In a matter of weeks, the abject failure of President Trump and his Administration to competently respond to the COVID-19 pandemic erased all the job gains made since the Obama-Biden administration pulled the country out of the Great Recession, and plunged the economy into recession," the report says.

While the proposals outlined in the task force’s memo do not go nearly as far as some progressives had hoped, the recommendations are almost certain to draw criticism from President Trump and Republicans, who have seized on a message that Democrats have lurched to the left in recent years, adopting positions once considered taboo in the country’s mainstream political dialogue.

ShamrockPride said:
I'm certain that after 4 years of Biden, and nothing of significance is done, he'll blame Trump for whatever he felt he was left with. And the endless cycle of blame goes on. And nothing gets done. And the masses will continue to eat it up.
At least it’s not Trump!!!!!!!!

🙄

ShamrockPride said:
I'm certain that after 4 years of Biden, and nothing of significance is done, he'll blame Trump for whatever he felt he was left with. And the endless cycle of blame goes on. And nothing gets done. And the masses will continue to eat it up.
I doubt he'll blame Trump after a year or two but he'll certainly blame the GOP minority in the Senate.  

ShamrockPride said:
Nah.  That's not Joe's style.  YO JOE!

Does Biden even need to participate in any debates?   It would seem that he could just sit back, give Trump nothing to attack and let Trump continue to self destruct.   Tom Friedman on the Times recently wrote that a condition Biden should demand for debate participation is that Trump releases his tax returns.  I don't think his intention was to skip the debates, but to level the playing field since Biden's taxes have been released.   Since Trump will never release his taxes and the majority of Americans want to see them, it would seem like a legitimate excuse for skipping the debates.     If Biden is in this position come debate dates and the pandemic is still in full force, I see little to gain and a lot to lose for Biden.  

Does Biden even need to participate in any debates?   It would seem that he could just sit back, give Trump nothing to attack and let Trump continue to self destruct.   Tom Friedman on the Times recently wrote that a condition Biden should demand for debate participation is that Trump releases his tax returns.  I don't think his intention was to skip the debates, but to level the playing field since Biden's taxes have been released.   Since Trump will never release his taxes and the majority of Americans want to see them, it would seem like a legitimate excuse for skipping the debates.     If Biden is in this position come debate dates and the pandemic is still in full force, I see little to gain and a lot to lose for Biden.  
interesting

I will be voting for Biden, I absolutely hate Trump, but I do not believe a candidate should not debate another candidate in the presidential election.

He'd be smart not to.

He'd be smart not to.
Biden's got a double digit lead nationally, leading in almost every battle ground state Hillary lost, Trump’s numbers drop to new lows every day. 

Biden has everything to lose at this point. But he will still debate Trump.

He definitely should make fun of Trump early and often about his tax returns and the “audit”.

• Thanks
Reactions: rct
He needs to debate, I feel the optics of not debating would look worse than 99% of the bad possible outcomes during the debate. I also feel more people would read the headlines about him not debating than would watch the debate.

He needs to debate, I feel the optics of not debating would look worse than 99% of the bad possible outcomes during the debate. I also feel more people would read the headlines about him not debating than would watch the debate.
This is a good point - people mostly ignore the debates.  There’s also little chance Trump doesn’t say horrible things during the debate so it’s probably a wash if Biden has some bad moments.

This is a good point - people mostly ignore the debates.  There’s also little chance Trump doesn’t say horrible things during the debate so it’s probably a wash if Biden has some bad moments.
Also the Trump supporters have been talking about Biden’s mental decline for months so the bar is super low.  As long as Biden stands up there and doesn’t poop his pants he probably gets another polling bump.

Debating Trump shouldn’t be that hard.  There are so many Trump lies and things he’s gotten wrong (especially about the virus) that Biden can hammer him on.  

Debating Trump shouldn’t be that hard.  There are so many Trump lies and things he’s gotten wrong (especially about the virus) that Biden can hammer him on.  
Sure, but is he going to have the opportunity to express them.   You know that Trump is going to throw every lie in the book at Biden.  Biden could literally spend the entire debate attempting to correct everything that Trump says and never get the opportunity to go on the offensive.  I don't remember Joe being too sharp at the primary debates and that was against a bunch of folks that were being relatively nice to him.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure, but is he going to have the opportunity to express them.   You know that Trump is going to throw every lie in the book at Biden.  Biden could literally spend the entire debate attempting to correct everything that Trump says and never get the opportunity to go on the offensive.  I don't remember Joe being too sharp at the primary debates and that was against a bunch of folks that were being relatively nice to him.  
Tangent - I've hated how the debates are run since I started following politics more closely.  The 8-10 person ones were absurd.  I don't know if there's any other candidates that would be on the debate stage with them but to me it's pretty simple - Joe should push for equal time, no interruptions and everyone's mic is off when it's not their turn to speak.  Maybe that ruins the conventional debate style but I'm here to listen to policy and answers to questions, not to listen to people talk over each other and call each other names.  I can do that here at FBGs.

Biden totally worked Paul Ryan in the vp debate. I think he’ll do fine if he sticks to his material. Trump will try to drag him in the mud hope he doesn’t take the bait. 

This?  https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/15/tech/twitter-hack-elon-musk-bill-gates/index.html

Unsure how this is a big deal, maybe I'm missing something?
Well, look at who was targeted. Notice one sort of popular twitter user that was not?

What if this was a test run and they do it again on November 3rd with a different message. What if they got all of his DMs and now just waiting to release certain ones?

Feel like this could have Russia’s fingerprints all over it. 

I just hope Biden maintains his cool during the debates.  He obviously has strong feelings about trump, trump is not going to stick to issues, rather will insult and spew lies, and you know this is going to piss Biden off.  I keep going back to Biden asking the autoworker if he wanted to step outside while they were going back and forth about 2A and guns, and dread Biden doing something like that with trump.  While it would amuse some, Biden's best bet is just to continue to be the obviously reasonable choice against an unruly fool.

Tangent - I've hated how the debates are run since I started following politics more closely.  The 8-10 person ones were absurd.  I don't know if there's any other candidates that would be on the debate stage with them but to me it's pretty simple - Joe should push for equal time, no interruptions and everyone's mic is off when it's not their turn to speak.  Maybe that ruins the conventional debate style but I'm here to listen to policy and answers to questions, not to listen to people talk over each other and call each other names.  I can do that here at FBGs.
I don't know why that would even be so hard to implement.    There's a beep say at the point where you have 10 seconds remaining and once your time is up, your mic goes off. That's not going to help with name calling though.   These debates are gonna get ugly.   Trump is like a wild animal backed into a corner.   

Biden's got a double digit lead nationally, leading in almost every battle ground state Hillary lost, Trump’s numbers drop to new lows every day. 

Biden has everything to lose at this point. But he will still debate Trump.

He definitely should make fun of Trump early and often about his tax returns and the “audit”.
Can't just rely on polls. We are going to see historic voter suppression tactics in any of these swing states governed by the GOP.

I just hope Biden maintains his cool during the debates.  He obviously has strong feelings about trump, trump is not going to stick to issues, rather will insult and spew lies, and you know this is going to piss Biden off.  I keep going back to Biden asking the autoworker if he wanted to step outside while they were going back and forth about 2A and guns, and dread Biden doing something like that with trump.  While it would amuse some, Biden's best bet is just to continue to be the obviously reasonable choice against an unruly fool.
Joe seems to handle things much better when he knows hes on camera vs when he doesn't. 

I don't know why that would even be so hard to implement.    There's a beep say at the point where you have 10 seconds remaining and once your time is up, your mic goes off. That's not going to help with name calling though.   These debates are gonna get ugly.   Trump is like a wild animal backed into a corner.   
It wouldn't be but it also would make for an even more boring debates experience so I doubt those televising it would be on board.

It wouldn't be but it also would make for an even more boring debates experience so I doubt those televising it would be on board.
Nope.   Fact of the matter is that a lot of people view politics as a form of entertainment so if its not entertaining, they aren't tuning in.  

No need for the Biden campaign to attack Trump directly at this point. The talking points I've seen recently are "Oh it's Trump's fault about everything right?" and "can't they just let the man do his job?".

Joe should continue to develop plans to help us get out of the pandemic and rescue the economy. Improve relations with the goal of increasing the general sense of togetherness that we really need. We need to stop with the "sides" like it's some kind of college football rivalry. Enough.

No need for the Biden campaign to attack Trump directly at this point. The talking points I've seen recently are "Oh it's Trump's fault about everything right?" and "can't they just let the man do his job?".

Joe should continue to develop plans to help us get out of the pandemic and rescue the economy. Improve relations with the goal of increasing the general sense of togetherness that we really need. We need to stop with the "sides" like it's some kind of college football rivalry. Enough.
If anyone can do it, it's a fresh voice like Joe Biden. 

Yup.

What we have works. it’s not perfect, governing is messy.

Having some dope in charge who doesn’t have a clue how it works is bad. Example 1A: COVID
Yup, not buying it. I'm gonna need your definition for the word "works" here.

It sounds like you have an acceptable number (presumably fewer) of American deaths to COVID if it were Biden who got hit with this. I'm curious as to what that number may be.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup, not buying it. I'm gonna need your definition for the word "works" here.

It sounds like you have an acceptable number (presumably fewer) of American deaths to COVID if it were Biden who got hit with this. I'm curious as to what that number may be.
If Trump were not in charge when this happened there would be fewer Covid deaths and we’d be in a much better spot. He was inexperienced, doesn’t trust how the government works, doesn’t understand how to govern, etc.

If Trump were not in charge when this happened there would be fewer Covid deaths and we’d be in a much better spot. He was inexperienced, doesn’t trust how the government works, doesn’t understand how to govern, etc.
Didn't trust experts...didn't trust the groundwork of those who came before him....

Dude I gotta say you can post this stuff all day and it will not persuade anyone.  There is no issue dearer to my heart than weed legalization and it was disappointing that Biden wouldn’t go that far (although sounds like he supports decriminalization which is a step in the right direction).  If Biden wins I’m gonna party like a rock star.
That’s cool-  you all do the horse race stuff and I’ll stick to policy discussion.  We already know people support him because of who he isn’t.  

Users who are viewing this thread