What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Joe Biden Campaign Thread (4 Viewers)

What if it required us to quit burning fossil fuels in the middle east in our pointless wars of aggression for oil?  The Pentagon/DOD being one of the world’s worst polluters.  The end of American exceptionalism as we knew it, and a livable future for the planet.  Still on board?  
Well of course not ren. A few jobs are one thing, but you’re talking something different. My whole life is about being a murderous corporate neocon. If I ever have to give that up, forget about it. 

On a (slightly) more serious note, I must point out, again, that our definitions of American exceptionalism are a little bit different. 

Well of course not ren. A few jobs are one thing, but you’re talking something different. My whole life is about being a murderous corporate neocon. If I ever have to give that up, forget about it. 

On a (slightly) more serious note, I must point out, again, that our definitions of American exceptionalism are a little bit different. 
Well naturally- all of that goes without saying.  

My only point is that our continued petrodollar empire is wholly incompatible with the professed concern for the environment.  We can’t have both.  

This is pretty bad for Biden-

Sen. Elizabeth Warren has spent her presidential campaign railing against the donor class, making it known she doesn't want their help. 

She has publicly bashed millionaires, has sworn off high-dollar fundraisers and has refused large checks from Democratic bundlers. 

But behind the scenes in recent months, former President Obama has gone to bat for Warren (D-Mass.) when speaking to donors reluctant to support her given her knocks on Wall Street and the wealthy. 

And if Warren becomes the nominee, Obama has said they must throw the entirety of their support behind her. 

The former president has stopped short of an endorsement of Warren in these conversations and has emphasized that he is not endorsing in the Democratic primary race. 

But he also has vouched for her credentials, making it clear in these private sessions that he deems her a capable candidate and potential president, sources say.

“He’s asked all of the candidates who have sought his advice three questions: Is your family behind you? Why you? And why now? She checked the box for all,” said one longtime Obama ally.
https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/475576-obama-talks-up-warren-behind-closed-doors-to-wealthy-donors

A black female democrat losing a statewide race by less than 1.5%, in a state that as far as I can tell has never elected a woman or a black person as governor or senator, to the guy who was in charge of counting the ballots (and who won his previous statewide election by 17 points), strikes me as fairly impressive.

People find her compelling because she prioritizes the right things. She's been focused on fighting voter suppression since the election, which is a hugely important and overlooked by too many Democrats. She's big on medicaid expansion. She's smart and passionate..

And yes, it matters that she's a black woman. "Identity checkbox" is a dismissive way to phrase a legitimate priority. I think there's value, for example, in showing the 37 million American girls under the age of 18 that a woman can be elected vice-president.  Representation matters, especially since those girls have also seen that a lifelong misogynist who has been credibly accused of sexual assault by over a dozen women can be elected president. I would hope most people would agree with me on that.
She's very impressive.  I was happy to cast a vote for her and would love to see her be the VP for whoever is running.

But behind the scenes in recent months, former President Obama has gone to bat for Warren (D-Mass.) when speaking to donors reluctant to support her given her knocks on Wall Street and the wealthy. 

And if Warren becomes the nominee, Obama has said they must throw the entirety of their support behind her. 
Is this really surprising? He's not going to advocate against a particular candidate, that's the opposite of what happened with party hierarchy in 2016. We know Obama will support the nominee and we know that he will try to unify the party no matter what happens. Obama allaying concerns with the party's big money donors in the event a more progressive candidate makes it should seem like the most natural thing in the world.

Thanks. Can you elaborate on what the bolded is?
Sure. There were a few key factors on what happened to Dems in 2016 but one was voter suppression, and part of that had to do with basically resentment from the progressive (read especially Sanders) wing, over the party's behavior, over Hillary's own coziness with Wall Street and other big money interests, and the back and forth between her and Sanders during the campaign. - It's pretty clear to me that recreating this atmosphere or theme is a conscious effort for the Trump campaign in 2020 and IMO it's been apparent.

Sure. There were a few key factors on what happened to Dems in 2016 but one was voter suppression, and part of that had to do with basically resentment from the progressive (read especially Sanders) wing, over the party's behavior, over Hillary's own coziness with Wall Street and other big money interests, and the back and forth between her and Sanders during the campaign. - It's pretty clear to me that recreating this atmosphere or theme is a conscious effort for the Trump campaign in 2020 and IMO it's been apparent.
So you think the Trump administration is trying to stir up fighting between the Sanders supporters now and the other Democratic front runners?

So you think the Trump administration is trying to stir up fighting between the Sanders supporters now and the other Democratic front runners?
I would say probably, but they don't really need to. The Sanders people (many of them anyhow) are all too eager to do this on their own without any help.

Frankly, yes, and I think it's easy to see the wheels moving. And I think it has a serious hurdle in that Biden does not come with some of the specific baked in design schematics that Hillary had: Hillary and Bill had built the third way concept back in the 90s, Hillary and Bill had had the issue with Wall Street speeches and the aftermath of that, the Foundation, the practices when Bill Clinton was president, etc. - And then there was the specific situation of Hillary and Sanders more or less running a 1 vs 1 campaign that highlighted all that, made Sanders a foil for Hillary and vice versa. And Hillary's and Sanders' personalities played into all that. - I think there is a real divide in the sense of whether the DNC should be getting funded from corporate interests at all vs grassroots but that stands on its own, it's not sufficient by itself to recreate the whole scaffolding that surrounded the peculiar 2016 situation with Hillary. And I'll add this time the progressive POV of this is not entirely carried by Sanders, it arose the other night between Warren and Buttigieg.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say probably, but they don't really need to. The Sanders people (many of them anyhow) are all too eager to do this on their own without any help.
That was my feeling. It seemed interesting to think there was some sort of additional (deceptive?) plan to try and stir up discord.

I do think that angle is fascinating though and the This American Life podcast we talked about with the guy and the deceptive campaign to defeat Roy Moore in Alabama. Most interestingly, how the This American Life folks just sort of laughed it off. I do wonder how prevalent that is. 

Hunter Biden allegedly linked to multiple criminal probes

Hunter Biden is the subject of multiple criminal investigations related to “fraud, money laundering and a counterfeiting scheme,” it’s claimed in court documents filed Monday in his Arkansas paternity case.......
From your link:

“Soon after the claims were filed, a judge struck the allegations down because they were filed by an “intervener,” according to court papers.“

What actions?
I'll start with just one.   Hunter

"The controversies escalated on November 20, when DNA results confirmed he fathered a child with a different woman while dating Hallie Biden, his brother's widow. While he dismissed the claims by the child's mother, Lunden Alexis Roberts, earlier in the year, court filings now assert that he accepts the child is his."

kodycutter said:
I'll start with just one.   Hunter

"The controversies escalated on November 20, when DNA results confirmed he fathered a child with a different woman while dating Hallie Biden, his brother's widow. While he dismissed the claims by the child's mother, Lunden Alexis Roberts, earlier in the year, court filings now assert that he accepts the child is his."
Why should anyone care about Hunter Biden’s dating life?  

I wouldn't vote for him. Good thing he isn't running. 
Yep, he is just a stain on Joe.  The same way most political children who make the news are. 

But again, if Joe never made that statement about withholding funds from Ukraine, maybe Hunter never gets on the media radar. 

Yep, he is just a stain on Joe.  The same way most political children who make the news are. 

But again, if Joe never made that statement about withholding funds from Ukraine, maybe Hunter never gets on the media radar. 
It’s only a “stain on Joe” to people who weren’t going to vote for Joe anyway.  You know, those folks who condemn Hunter’s actions while supporting a corrupt con-man who steals from children’s cancer charities.  

I think Joe And Hunter ran a criminal enterprise when he was VP. Nobody has even attempted to explain the mess they are in with China. Flying on Air Force 2 for corrupt dealings.  

1. Joe Biden met with Hunter’s Chinese partners days before they established a new investment firm.

In December 2013, Hunter landed in Beijing aboard Air Force Two, accompanying his father on an official visit to China. Less than two weeks later, Hunter’s company, Rosemont Seneca, became a partner in a new investment company backed by the state-owned Bank of China.

Christening the new firm Bohai Harvest RST (BHR), the partners set out to raise $1 billion for the new fund.

Representatives of the Biden family have denied any connection between the vice president’s visit and Hunter’s business. However, a BHR representative told The New Yorker earlier this year that Hunter used the opportunity to introduce his father to Chinese private equity executive Jonathan Li, who became CEO of BHR after the deal’s conclusion.

2. BHR is a multibillion-dollar enterprise.

Exceeding their initial fundraising goal, the partners at BHR raised their target to $1.5 billion for the new fund. The company’s website now brags that it manages “over RMB 15 billion” in assets — the equivalent of about $2.1 billion in today’s dollars.

Under the terms of the deal, BHR, in which Hunter’s firm held an equity stake, would be a lead investor in the fund. Other investors include China Development Bank and China’s social security
https://nypost.com/2019/10/10/6-facts-about-hunter-bidens-business-dealings-in-china/

I think the worse thing for Joe right now are the increasing rumors that Obama is being vocal for Liz Warren behind the scenes.  Pushing his former high-dollars donors in her direction. 

His best friend doesn't think he is the best person for the job. 

Representatives of the Biden family have denied any connection between the vice president’s visit and Hunter’s business. However, a BHR representative told The New Yorker earlier this year that Hunter used the opportunity to introduce his father to Chinese private equity executive Jonathan Li, who became CEO of BHR after the deal’s conclusion.
I actually posted this New Yorker article in the conspiracy theories thread. It's a great read and very informative, however NYPost misrepresents what it says:

In December, 2013, Vice-President Biden flew to Beijing to meet with President Xi Jinping. Biden often asked one of his grandchildren to accompany him on his international trips, and he invited Finnegan to come on this one. Hunter told his father that he wanted to join them. According to a Beijing-based BHR representative, Hunter, shortly after arriving in Beijing, on December 4th, helped arrange for Li to shake hands with his father in the lobby of the American delegation’s hotel. 
They shook hands in a hotel lobby. I do think this stuff by Hunter is skeezy, but this is hardly the stuff of deep state manipulation. If anyone got manipulated here it was Biden. Joe Biden invited his 15 year old granddaughter on a trip to China, and upon hearing this Hunter invites himself along and then squeezes his father into a handshake in a hotel lobby with a guy he wants to do business with. 

I actually posted this New Yorker article in the conspiracy theories thread. It's a great read and very informative, however NYPost misrepresents what it says:

They shook hands in a hotel lobby. I do think this stuff by Hunter is skeezy, but this is hardly the stuff of deep state manipulation. If anyone got manipulated here it was Biden. Joe Biden invited his 15 year old granddaughter on a trip to China, and upon hearing this Hunter invites himself along and then squeezes his father into a handshake in a hotel lobby with a guy he wants to do business with. 
My personal opinion is this is laughable (obviously), but the Biden’s better have their story straight when it comes to China. I don’t think Joe Biden is just going to throw Hunter under the bus and say he was misled or manipulated by him either. 

Joe now saying he’ll refuse to comply with a senate subpoena.

Trump being impeached for quid pro quo and not complying with congress.

Presidential candidate admitted to quid pro quo, now saying he won’t cooperate with Congress.

Trump being impeached for quid pro quo and not complying with congress.

Presidential candidate admitted to quid pro quo, now saying he won’t cooperate with Congress.
He admitted to what?  Yeah, that was a quid pro quo on behalf of the United States in accordance with US policy and that of our allies working to remove a man who was not investigating corruption.

Also, he isn't being investigated...nor does his testimony have anything to do with Trumps actions.

Though, I don't like him saying he would refuse.  Better to say he would comply if someone could make a factual claim that his testimony is relevant.

He admitted to what?  Yeah, that was a quid pro quo on behalf of the United States in accordance with US policy and that of our allies working to remove a man who was not investigating corruption.

Also, he isn't being investigated...nor does his testimony have anything to do with Trumps actions.

Though, I don't like him saying he would refuse.  Better to say he would comply if someone could make a factual claim that his testimony is relevant.
So far, only the Democrats seem to be allowed to decide what is relevant

Why not testify?. 

I think the worse thing for Joe right now are the increasing rumors that Obama is being vocal for Liz Warren behind the scenes.  Pushing his former high-dollars donors in her direction. 

His best friend doesn't think he is the best person for the job. 
People are saying?

So far, only the Democrats seem to be allowed to decide what is relevant

Why not testify?. 
Why should he...what is the relevance?  Id hope Roberts would decide...because I see no way it’s relevant to Trumps actions and use of the office and aid.

Why should he...what is the relevance?  Id hope Roberts would decide...because I see no way it’s relevant to Trumps actions and use of the office and aid.
Sure.

But Trump felt his was unlawful.  At some point, if the two sides can’t agree—do only the Dems get to decide what is relavenr?  

I don’t think the Senate will vote to impeach the President.  I don’t think Biden’s testimony affects it.  I don’t think anyone’s testimony affects it.

But it’s ok for a Democrat to withhold money to protect his son and to ignore congressional subpoenas. A Republican does it and you want “justice.”  

Trump gets impeached, but you’re ok with Biden getting elected.  Got it.

I’ll say this is a mistake. First of all he likely won’t be subpoenaed even if the Republicans got their full wish list, so he went out on a limb for nothing. Secondly failure to comply is indeed a big part of what this is about. Third Hillary did it, twice. - It’s not the same as Hillary was central to Benghazi but it doesn’t matter, it’s impeachment and it’s up to Congress.

Sure.

But Trump felt his was unlawful.  At some point, if the two sides can’t agree—do only the Dems get to decide what is relavenr?  

I don’t think the Senate will vote to impeach the President.  I don’t think Biden’s testimony affects it.  I don’t think anyone’s testimony affects it.

But it’s ok for a Democrat to withhold money to protect his son and to ignore congressional subpoenas. A Republican does it and you want “justice.”  

Trump gets impeached, but you’re ok with Biden getting elected.  Got it.
What does it matter, in regards to this impeachment, if it was unlawful?   What Biden did is not a part of this impeachment...this is about Trumps actions as POTUS.

At this point, Biden is not under any investigation, correct?

To protect his son?  How was he?  The position was wanting a guy out because he wouldn’t investigate...not because he was investigating.  Biden was acting according to US policy and our European allies who felt the guy was not investigating thing.

The two situations are not the same...no matter how much the right wants them to be.

Im also not a Biden fan...if there is a reason to investigate him...do it.  Id rather he not be the nominee.  None of which makes Trumps actions any better.

Biden tweeted a clarification today suggesting that he would comply, but that his primary point was that there would be no legal basis for calling him in the first place.

- He's right there. He can say that, respect the authority of Congress and still make the points he wants to make about what is going on.
Was it "shaking down the Ukraine government" when Biden backed the coup overthrow of the govt in Ukraine?  Seems like a shakedown to me, except 1,000,000x worse than a phone call.

Was it "shaking down the Ukraine government" when Biden backed the coup overthrow of the govt in Ukraine?  Seems like a shakedown to me, except 1,000,000x worse than a phone call.
Are you talking about Maidan? No, not IMO. There are people involved in this on the Giuliani side who were involved in that though.

I think the main thrust here is that Biden appears to be spurring Trump to demand witnesses and enunciate why Congressional subpoenas must be obeyed..

Are you talking about Maidan? No, not IMO. There are people involved in this on the Giuliani side who were involved in that though.

I think the main thrust here is that Biden appears to be spurring Trump to demand witnesses and enunciate why Congressional subpoenas must be obeyed..
He helped overthrow a sovereign govt in Ukraine.  Then his failson got a kush job 2 months later.  It's preposterous for him to act like he has some sort of moral highground on 'shaking governments down'.  

He helped overthrow a sovereign govt in Ukraine.  Then his failson got a kush job 2 months later.  It's preposterous for him to act like he has some sort of moral highground on 'shaking governments down'.  
Zlochevsky was Minister of Energy/Resources (essentially) in the prior government and was snug as a bug in their protection. Why would he give Biden a reward for basically screwing up his situation and wrecking his own government?

You mean helping others while denying a child and said support of that child?  I guess that balances out.   You are right.
The amount of time in this forum spent in criticizing Hunter Biden is, frankly, pathetic. While family members of high level politicians have been subjected to scrutiny in the past (Billy Carter, Neil Bush, Roger Clinton etc.) this is a new low. 

If you don’t like Joe Biden’s policies, tell us why. If you think Joe Biden is corrupt, show some evidence (there isn’t any.) But stop talking about Hunter who isn’t part of his campaign and won’t be part of his administration if Biden wins. Enough with the mularky. 

The amount of time in this forum spent in criticizing Hunter Biden is, frankly, pathetic. While family members of high level politicians have been subjected to scrutiny in the past (Billy Carter, Neil Bush, Roger Clinton etc.) this is a new low. 

If you don’t like Joe Biden’s policies, tell us why. If you think Joe Biden is corrupt, show some evidence (there isn’t any.) But stop talking about Hunter who isn’t part of his campaign and won’t be part of his administration if Biden wins. Enough with the mularky. 
I was answering a question, settle down.

Users who are viewing this thread