What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Joe Biden Campaign Thread (6 Viewers)

Here is the Teachout piece that correctly calls out Biden’s corruption problems, how he’s 100% bought by financial/pharmaceutical/insurance lobbies and would absolutely get rolled by Trump: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/jan/20/joe-biden-corruption-donald-trump

It’s total cowardice that Sanders would throw her under the bus for this.  She’s right!

Democrats are trying to choose a candidate to beat Donald Trump, the most corrupt president in history. Some think nominating Joe Biden, a moderate white man who calls himself “Middle Class” Joe, makes sense.

But Biden has a big corruption problem and it makes him a weak candidate. I know it seems crazy, but a lot of the voters we need – independents and people who might stay home – will look at Biden and Trump and say: “They’re all dirty.”

It looks like “Middle Class” Joe has perfected the art of taking big contributions, then representing his corporate donors at the cost of middle- and working-class Americans. Converting campaign contributions into legislative favors and policy positions isn’t being “moderate”. It is the kind of transactional politics Americans have come to loathe.

There are three clear examples.

First, Biden’s support for finance over working-class Americans. His career was bankrolled by the credit card industry. He delivered for it by spearheading a bankruptcy bill that made it harder for Americans to reduce their debts and helped cause the financial crisis. He not only authored and voted for that bill, he split with Barack Obama and led the battle to vote down Democratic amendments.

His explanations for carrying water for the credit card industry have changed over time. They have never rung true.

The simplest explanation is the most likely: he did it for his donors. At a fundraiser last year, Biden promised his Wall Street donors that “nothing would fundamentally change” for them if he became president. Now the financial world is raising huge money for his campaign. It clearly thinks he’s going to be its friend if elected. Most Americans, who get ripped off by the financial sector on a daily basis, aren’t looking for a candidate who has made their life harder.

Second, healthcare. On 25 April, the day he announced his campaign, Biden went straight to a fundraiser co-hosted by the chief executive of a major health insurance corporation. He refuses to sign a pledge to reject money from insurance and pharma execs and continues to raise money from healthcare industry donors. His campaign is being bankrolled by a super Pac run by healthcare lobbyists.

What did all these donors get? A healthcare proposal that preserves the power of the insurance industry and leaves 10 million Americans uninsured.

Third, climate change. Biden signed a pledge not to take money from the fossil fuel industry, then broke his promise. Right after a CNN town hall on climate change, he held a fundraiser hosted by the founder of a fossil fuel conglomerate. He is pushing climate policy that has gotten dismal reviews from several leading environmental groups.

There are plenty of other examples that raise questions, like housing and social security. Big real estate moguls are playing a major role in Biden’s campaign. Unlike his rivals, he has no comprehensive housing plan. When he pushed for cuts to Social Security, was he serving donors or his constituents?

I can already hear the howls: But look at Trump! Trump is 1,000 times worse!

You don’t need to convince me. I have spent my life writing about and fighting against corruption, and in America I have never seen anything like the current administration. In the last three years, I have made combatting Trump’s corruption the heart of my work.

I was on the first lawsuit against him for corrupt constitutional violations and I ran for attorney general in New York on a platform of pointing out just how dangerous he is, and how important unused state laws are to stopping him. My work on corruption was cited in the House judiciary committee’s report on impeachment.

But here’s the thing: nominating a candidate like Biden will make it far more difficult to defeat Trump. It will allow Trump to muddy the water, to once again pretend he is the one “draining the swamp”, running against Washington culture. Trump and the Cambridge Analytica of 2020 will campaign, as they did in 2016, on a message of radical nihilism: everybody lies, everybody is corrupt, nothing matters, there is no truth.

Corrupt politicians always use whataboutism. With Biden, we are basically handing Trump a whataboutism playbook. The comparison won’t be fair, but if you think he won’t use Biden’s closeness to donors as a cudgel to try to keep people home, you haven’t been paying attention. Unlike Democrats, who must give voters a reason to come out, Trump doesn’t need voters to love him. He just needs to convince people the whole game is ugly.

Whether or not Biden is making choices to please donors, there is no doubt his record represents the transactional, grossly corrupt culture in Washington that long precedes Trump. We cannot allow Trump to so lower our standards that we aren’t even allowed to call out that culture, which has not only stymied progress but also harmed the Democratic party.

The good news is that we still have time to break with this culture of corruption. We don’t have to choose Biden’s way, which would give Trump a perfect foil. The 2020 election should be about a crystal clear contrast between truth and lies, corruption and integrity, compassion and cruelty.

We have a rare opportunity to end a larger culture of corruption and we should take it – we will regret it if we don’t.

Bernie apologizes to Biden for one of his supporters calling Biden corrupt; says he knew nothing about it: 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thehill.com/homenews/campaign/479084-sanders-apologizes-to-biden-for-supporters-op-ed%3famp

So typical: Bernie’s people do the dirty work and he stays above it all. Here we go again with this crap. Hillary slammed Bernie in an interview today. Said “nobody likes him.” 
Do you have evidence that Sanders directed or encouraged the writing of this op-es?

Notice how the cries of ‘sowing division’ and ‘unity’ vanish when it’s Sanders who is being trashed by leading Democrats.  Even after apologizing to Biden for 100% correct piece that explains how he is corrupt.  But if everyone didn’t put up or shut up with Clinton in 2016 they were Trump supporters and Russian bots.  
Exactly.   What a corrupt party.

Bernie apologizes to Biden for one of his supporters calling Biden corrupt; says he knew nothing about it: 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thehill.com/homenews/campaign/479084-sanders-apologizes-to-biden-for-supporters-op-ed%3famp

So typical: Bernie’s people do the dirty work and he stays above it all. Here we go again with this crap. Hillary slammed Bernie in an interview today. Said “nobody likes him.” 
That's comical coming from her. Corrupt ex-politician sticking up for another corrupt politician, and somehow the problem is calling attention to the corruption.

Here is the Teachout piece that correctly calls out Biden’s corruption problems, how he’s 100% bought by financial/pharmaceutical/insurance lobbies and would absolutely get rolled by Trump: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/jan/20/joe-biden-corruption-donald-trump

It’s total cowardice that Sanders would throw her under the bus for this.  She’s right!

Democrats are trying to choose a candidate to beat Donald Trump, the most corrupt president in history. Some think nominating Joe Biden, a moderate white man who calls himself “Middle Class” Joe, makes sense.

But Biden has a big corruption problem and it makes him a weak candidate. I know it seems crazy, but a lot of the voters we need – independents and people who might stay home – will look at Biden and Trump and say: “They’re all dirty.”

It looks like “Middle Class” Joe has perfected the art of taking big contributions, then representing his corporate donors at the cost of middle- and working-class Americans. Converting campaign contributions into legislative favors and policy positions isn’t being “moderate”. It is the kind of transactional politics Americans have come to loathe.

There are three clear examples.

First, Biden’s support for finance over working-class Americans. His career was bankrolled by the credit card industry. He delivered for it by spearheading a bankruptcy bill that made it harder for Americans to reduce their debts and helped cause the financial crisis. He not only authored and voted for that bill, he split with Barack Obama and led the battle to vote down Democratic amendments.

His explanations for carrying water for the credit card industry have changed over time. They have never rung true.

The simplest explanation is the most likely: he did it for his donors. At a fundraiser last year, Biden promised his Wall Street donors that “nothing would fundamentally change” for them if he became president. Now the financial world is raising huge money for his campaign. It clearly thinks he’s going to be its friend if elected. Most Americans, who get ripped off by the financial sector on a daily basis, aren’t looking for a candidate who has made their life harder.

Second, healthcare. On 25 April, the day he announced his campaign, Biden went straight to a fundraiser co-hosted by the chief executive of a major health insurance corporation. He refuses to sign a pledge to reject money from insurance and pharma execs and continues to raise money from healthcare industry donors. His campaign is being bankrolled by a super Pac run by healthcare lobbyists.

What did all these donors get? A healthcare proposal that preserves the power of the insurance industry and leaves 10 million Americans uninsured.

Third, climate change. Biden signed a pledge not to take money from the fossil fuel industry, then broke his promise. Right after a CNN town hall on climate change, he held a fundraiser hosted by the founder of a fossil fuel conglomerate. He is pushing climate policy that has gotten dismal reviews from several leading environmental groups.

There are plenty of other examples that raise questions, like housing and social security. Big real estate moguls are playing a major role in Biden’s campaign. Unlike his rivals, he has no comprehensive housing plan. When he pushed for cuts to Social Security, was he serving donors or his constituents?

I can already hear the howls: But look at Trump! Trump is 1,000 times worse!

You don’t need to convince me. I have spent my life writing about and fighting against corruption, and in America I have never seen anything like the current administration. In the last three years, I have made combatting Trump’s corruption the heart of my work.

I was on the first lawsuit against him for corrupt constitutional violations and I ran for attorney general in New York on a platform of pointing out just how dangerous he is, and how important unused state laws are to stopping him. My work on corruption was cited in the House judiciary committee’s report on impeachment.

But here’s the thing: nominating a candidate like Biden will make it far more difficult to defeat Trump. It will allow Trump to muddy the water, to once again pretend he is the one “draining the swamp”, running against Washington culture. Trump and the Cambridge Analytica of 2020 will campaign, as they did in 2016, on a message of radical nihilism: everybody lies, everybody is corrupt, nothing matters, there is no truth.

Corrupt politicians always use whataboutism. With Biden, we are basically handing Trump a whataboutism playbook. The comparison won’t be fair, but if you think he won’t use Biden’s closeness to donors as a cudgel to try to keep people home, you haven’t been paying attention. Unlike Democrats, who must give voters a reason to come out, Trump doesn’t need voters to love him. He just needs to convince people the whole game is ugly.

Whether or not Biden is making choices to please donors, there is no doubt his record represents the transactional, grossly corrupt culture in Washington that long precedes Trump. We cannot allow Trump to so lower our standards that we aren’t even allowed to call out that culture, which has not only stymied progress but also harmed the Democratic party.

The good news is that we still have time to break with this culture of corruption. We don’t have to choose Biden’s way, which would give Trump a perfect foil. The 2020 election should be about a crystal clear contrast between truth and lies, corruption and integrity, compassion and cruelty.

We have a rare opportunity to end a larger culture of corruption and we should take it – we will regret it if we don’t.
My two theories for why Bernie would throw his own person under the bus for properly cataloging Biden’s corruption-

1. Bernie knows that he is probably going to win the nomination. He doesn’t want to make the moderate Tim’s of the world bitter and resentful towards him for taking out Biden. After all he needs their votes.

2. He really isn’t trying to win the nomination and doesn’t want to fight back just like in 2016.  Although Hillary and the DNC robbed him last time, he didn’t do a thing to stop it while it was happening.

Joe Biden told a CBS reporter to "calm down" after he asked the former vice president why he had attacked Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.), a top rival of Biden's for the Democratic presidential nomination. 

"Yesterday, you said you accepted Bernie's apology, now you're attacking him," said Ed O'Keefe, the veteran reporter covering the 2020 presidential campaign for the network. "Why are you doing that? Why wasn't his apology enough, Mr. Vice President? Why attack Sanders?"

After the last question, Biden, who had been ready to leave the press area, turned back to O'Keefe with a wide-eyed expression and walked back toward him. 

"Why, why, why, why, why, why, why?" Biden said, waving his hands toward O'Keefe and bending toward him slightly.

"You're getting nervous, man. Calm down, it's OK!" Biden said, putting his hands gently on O'Keefe's shoulder. 

"He apologized for saying I was corrupt, he didn't say anything about whether or not I was telling the truth about Social Security," Biden then states, as O'Keefe recorded the conversation. 

Biden proceeded to give the reporter a soft tap with his fist before leaving the area.

https://thehill.com/homenews/media/479432-biden-to-cbs-reporter-why-why-why-why-why
Classic Joe.  This guy is the Dem front runner.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7913189/Hunter-Biden-ordered-Arkansas-court-week.html

Hunter Biden has been ordered to show up at court in Arkansas where he'll have to show why he shouldn't be held in contempt for not turning over his financial records, according to newly filed court papers obtained by DailyMail.com. 

Judge Holly Meyer ordered the businessman on Tuesday to show his face in the Independence County court room next Wednesday at 9.30am, or face being held in contempt of court.

Biden, 49, has been fighting against traveling to Arkansas from LA for the past few weeks, claiming he has had too short of notice to make the trip. He is being sued by his baby mama Lunden Roberts for child support for their 17-month-old child. 

Roberts, 28, who met Biden while working as a stripper in Washington D.C., has repeatedly demanded that her former lover turn over the past five years of his financial records to establish how much he should cough up for their child.

But Biden has allegedly only turned over some of the information and Judge Meyer wants him to appear in court and explain himself. 

too short of notice, he claims?  Could drive to Arkansas from LA in less than a week.    Clinton's gonna whack him if gives anything up.

Widbil83 said:
My two theories for why Bernie would throw his own person under the bus for properly cataloging Biden’s corruption-

1. Bernie knows that he is probably going to win the nomination. He doesn’t want to make the moderate Tim’s of the world bitter and resentful towards him for taking out Biden. After all he needs their votes.

2. He really isn’t trying to win the nomination and doesn’t want to fight back just like in 2016.  Although Hillary and the DNC robbed him last time, he didn’t do a thing to stop it while it was happening.
My theory is he doesn't want to sound like he's on Trump's side during the impeachment nonsense by essentially agreeing with what Trump also says (true as it may be)

Dem Front runner quote of the day:
He’s not right about that because most DACA recipients didn’t choose to come here. If he had said that their parents were more American than most Americans he’d be much more correct, because undocumented immigrants risk their lives and freedom to come. 

But few politicians are brave enough to actually say this. 

So with Buttigieg falling and Klobuchar unable to get any traction, I find myself forced to go all in with Joe. He’s not my perfect guy; he’s a little off at times, says a lot of dumb stuff. But he’ll do. And If he’s the nominee I expect him to win pretty easily. 

If Buttigieg, Klobuchar, or Bloomberg can make a run I’ll return my attention to them- I like all of them probably more than Joe. But it doesn’t look like it and Joe will be fine. He’s pretty much Olive Garden but I like the salad and breadsticks and after 4 years of stale McDonalds food, the public ought to go for it big time. 

He’s not right about that because most DACA recipients didn’t choose to come here. If he had said that their parents were more American than most Americans he’d be much more correct, because undocumented immigrants risk their lives and freedom to come. 

But few politicians are brave enough to actually say this. 
It's an asinine quote.  Being brave/risking your life doesn't make you American.  I'm sure the Russian military is brave and risk their lives.  

He could have easily issued a statement of support without saying they're more "American" than actual citizens.  That's divisive and ignorant.  

It's an asinine quote.  Being brave/risking your life doesn't make you American.  I'm sure the Russian military is brave and risk their lives.  

He could have easily issued a statement of support without saying they're more "American" than actual citizens.  That's divisive and ignorant.  
Being brave and risking your life in order to become American. Thats the part you left out. 

Immigrants, both legal and illegal, are our best Americans. They chose to come. 

Being brave and risking your life in order to become American. Thats the part you left out. 

Immigrants, both legal and illegal, are our best Americans. They chose to come. 
What exactly is it about risking your life to "become an American" that makes them the top tier of the US citizenry? Is this a thing that applies uniquely to America?

What if an immigrant is risking their life to become a Canadian citizen? Does that rocket them to the top tier of the Canadian citizenry?

What I'm asking is, is it more something uniquely about the US, or is it the act itself of risking one's life to move to a new place that makes these individuals so highly regarded in your eyes?

Last edited by a moderator:
What exactly is it about risking your life to "become an American" makes them the top tier of the US citizenry? Is this a thing that applies uniquely to America?

What if an immigrant is risking their life to become a Canadian citizen? Does that rocket them to the top tier of the Canadian citizenry?

What I'm asking is, is it more something uniquely about the US, or is it the act itself of risking one's life to move to a new place that makes these individuals so highly regarded in your eyes?
Well we can't speak in hyperbole in regards to Canadian immigrants, Shamrock.

What exactly is it about risking your life to "become an American" that makes them the top tier of the US citizenry? Is this a thing that applies uniquely to America?

It is something uniquely about the US. We are THE nation of immigrants and refugees. That’s our story, always has been. It’s the essence of who we are. 

McFaul says the notion that Biden is corrupt is a 'talking point from Vladimir Putin,' a 'Republican talking point,' 'disinformation,' and 'there's no basis in fact for that.' 

Uh, no, it isn't.  It's the truth!  Biden's been a swamp creature literally his entire career.  He's owned by every lobby in Washington.  The absolute brainrot of this warped worldview, it's crazy. 

McFaul says the notion that Biden is corrupt is a 'talking point from Vladimir Putin,' a 'Republican talking point,' 'disinformation,' and 'there's no basis in fact for that.' 

Uh, no, it isn't.  It's the truth!  Biden's been a swamp creature literally his entire career.  He's owned by every lobby in Washington.  The absolute brainrot of this warped worldview, it's crazy. 
He's obviously talking about the Ukraine story. The issue of corporate donations = corruption is a pretty standard ideological position somewhere around progressive to the left of progressive. 

What is his evidence that it was a talking point from Vladimir Putin?  
I think the corporate/corruption issue is always an interesting debate, but maybe this issue belongs in a different thread.

- However for starters there is a lot of evidence already this is coming from Dimitro Firtash and his connections to the Kremlin are pretty well documented. I don't know if you want to wrestle on that one but glad to.

- IIRC Putin was claiming Ukraine interference well before all this started, it's been speculated that Putin personally put a bug in Trump's ear about this but in general arguably it's a disinformation campaign with one effect of weakening Ukraine. At a minimum at least give credence to the former Ambassador to Russia.

Sanders opens up 7 point lead in Iowa at 25%. Buttigieg at 18%, Biden at 17%. 

Looks good for Bernie at the moment. However it would not surprise me at all to see Buttigieg’s numbers fall to almost nothing in the last minute with Biden being the beneficiary. We’ll see. 

So with Buttigieg falling and Klobuchar unable to get any traction, I find myself forced to go all in with Joe. He’s not my perfect guy; he’s a little off at times, says a lot of dumb stuff. But he’ll do. And If he’s the nominee I expect him to win pretty easily. 

If Buttigieg, Klobuchar, or Bloomberg can make a run I’ll return my attention to them- I like all of them probably more than Joe. But it doesn’t look like it and Joe will be fine. He’s pretty much Olive Garden but I like the salad and breadsticks and after 4 years of stale McDonalds food, the public ought to go for it big time. 
I feel almost exactly the same way.  (Only difference is I haven’t been to an Olive Garden since 1990 and don’t remember the breadsticks.)

I think the corporate/corruption issue is always an interesting debate, but maybe this issue belongs in a different thread.

- However for starters there is a lot of evidence already this is coming from Dimitro Firtash and his connections to the Kremlin are pretty well documented. I don't know if you want to wrestle on that one but glad to.

- IIRC Putin was claiming Ukraine interference well before all this started, it's been speculated that Putin personally put a bug in Trump's ear about this but in general arguably it's a disinformation campaign with one effect of weakening Ukraine. At a minimum at least give credence to the former Ambassador to Russia.
Btw, Teachout’s piece about ‘Biden’s corruption problem’ doesn’t mention Ukraine at all.  It talks about the credit card/financial industry, healthcare, and climate change.  So the suggestion it was ‘disinformation’ related to Ukraine doesn’t make sense either.  Did you read it?  Did the former ambassador to Russia?  I don’t think he did.  

Btw, Teachout’s piece about ‘Biden’s corruption problem’ doesn’t mention Ukraine at all.  It talks about the credit card/financial industry, healthcare, and climate change.  So the suggestion it was ‘disinformation’ related to Ukraine doesn’t make sense either.  Did you read it?  Did the former ambassador to Russia?  I don’t think he did.  
I realize that, I agree, like I said corporate donations as corruption is a good point and the instances she mentioned are worth examining. I forget when the OP on this was but I went to the original piece to look at the argument. I’m not even sure it’s out of line with regular longstanding points by Sanders, but he usually goes out of his way to not directly insult opponents.

Sanders opens up 7 point lead in Iowa at 25%. Buttigieg at 18%, Biden at 17%. 

Looks good for Bernie at the moment. However it would not surprise me at all to see Buttigieg’s numbers fall to almost nothing in the last minute with Biden being the beneficiary. We’ll see. 
We'll see more MSM attacks on Bernie for sure the next two weeks.

After the primaries there is no way Sanders can beat Trump.  For the sake of this country I sure as hell hope not anyway.  Same for Warren.
Likely true, but I would love to see Bernie get a 10+ lead and see what other ammo they use on him. 

Dem front runner Biden: Pokes man, tells potential voter to "go vote for someone else" :pokey:

Democratic presidential candidate and former Vice President Joe Biden repeatedly prodded a man in the chest before telling him to “go vote for someone else,” during a campaign event in Iowa this week, after the man asked about Biden’s stance on gas pipelines.

“I’m gonna support you if you win the nomination because we’ve got to get rid of Trump, but what are we going to do about climate change?” asked the man. “Now, you say you’re against pipelines, but then you want to replace these gas lines, and that’s not gonna work. We’ve got to stop building and replacing pipelines.”

Biden responded by moving in close to the man and prodding his chest, before telling him to “go vote for someone else.”

A man in Iowa asks Joe Biden to stop supporting the building of new pipelines. Joe Biden tells him to go vote for someone else and then starts accusing him of voting for Bernie Sanders. Actually, the man says, he’s voting for Tom Steyer. Very awkward. pic.twitter.com/OOuGiypED8

— Zaid Jilani (@ZaidJilani) January 28, 2020

Biden then told the visibly stunned man, “You’re not going to vote for me in the primary,” as the man replied, “I’m going to vote you in the general if you treat me right.”

The confrontation continued as Biden grabbed onto the man’s coat and assumed he was supporting Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-VT), before the man clarified, “I’m actually supporting Tom Steyer.”

Biden concluded the conversation by prodding the man in the chest again with his finger.

https://www.mediaite.com/politics/biden-prods-man-in-tense-confrontation-at-campaign-event-go-vote-for-someone-else/

Here is the man's take on the confrontation.

http://boldiowa.com/biden-didnt-need-to-do-this-to-me/

I wanted to ask Biden about his stated opposition to new pipelines even as he supports replacing older existing pipelines. Those two positions are incompatible, and I wanted to know where he really stood.

Click on the image to check out our interaction, which is disturbing on a number of levels. Biden doesn’t even attempt to address my concern. All he says is that serious climate action by 2030 isn’t realistic.

And despite his repeated calls for unity, Biden rejects my offer to support him in the general election. That really shocked me. What was even more shocking was how Biden pushed and poked me, and then took hold of my jacket with both hands as he lectured me.

I’ve said this before, and I’ll say it one more time: Joe Biden is the Democratic candidate LEAST likely to beat Donald Trump. His demeanor on the stump will inevitably come back to bite him, perhaps repeatedly. His propensity to violate personal space is a huge non-asset in politics, and his frequent gaffes are prime fodder for opponents and the media.

Most important, Biden is simply wrong on climate change, and out-of-step with voters on so many issues.

Here is the man's take on the confrontation.
That guy should run instead of Biden.  He seems to have a grip on reality.  From Jilani: "Someone has informed me that the man in the Biden video above is Ed Fallon, a former long time Democratic state rep. in Iowa. Biden told a long-time Iowa politico on camera to vote for someone else and then grabbed him by his jacket." 

Here's his twitter, seems like a good man https://twitter.com/EdFallonIowa

For being 4 years apart, they're probably a decade apart in terms of energy levels.
I was talking about this with my gf the other day.  Trump says a lot of outlandish stuff and flies all over the place.  But it's often entertaining, funny, lucid for the most part, he's a bit of a reality star in a lot of people's eyes.  There's a certain religiosity in the cadence he takes at rallies and so forth.  They see him as a fighter & common man, at least on the surface.

Biden just seems awkward and creepy.  He looks ancient, forgets which state he is in, he touches young children in an uncomfortable way, he displays a physical demeanor that is very combative at times.  He talks about how black kids at the pool used to touch his hairy legs or something?  It's just ####### weird man, this guy would get demolished in a general, not just to Trump but literally any other person.  Biden is the WORST candidate to run against Trump, not the best.  The GOP would have an absolute field day with him.  

Users who are viewing this thread