Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Joe Bryant

***Official Joe Biden Campaign Thread

Just now, Snotbubbles said:

What about rallies being held in Iowa and New Jersey would make Biden tweet that?  I don't follow things on a daily basis. 

I also don't think it's a stretch to believe that the Biden tweet was referring to the travel ban that Trump initiated on January 31st and the next day Biden tweets that.  I'm even more certain that had Biden been Commander in Chief, he wouldn't have initiated a travel ban and we'd be in even worse shape than we already are. 

You think Biden would refer to it as a "crisis" and yet not take a measure that Italy had taken 2 days before Trump. - Yes actually I think someone speaking of a crisis would have very much taken that step, and in fact he may have made it a total travel ban like Italy did.

2 minutes ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

You think Biden would refer to it as a "crisis" and yet not take a measure that Italy had taken 2 days before Trump. - Yes actually I think someone speaking of a crisis would have very much taken that step, and in fact he may have made it a total travel ban like Italy did.

No I don't.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Snotbubbles said:

No I don't.  

Ok, well strictly in my opinion, someone who used the word "hoax" multiple times - even if just in regards to criticisms of his actions/inaction - is far more likely to not take critical steps that someone who very early used the word crisis. 

To answer my own question, I don't see where Trump has ever referred to the cv19 event as a crisis. 

Edited by SaintsInDome2006
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

Ok, well strictly in my opinion, someone who used the word "hoax" multiple times - even if just in regards to criticisms of his actions/inaction - is far more likely to not take critical steps that someone who very early used the word crisis. 

To answer my own question, I don't see where Trump has ever referred to the cv19 event as a crisis. 

You're looking at style and not substance.  Trump was heavily criticized for initiating the travel ban.  His words don't echo the actions he took.

I dont think Trump has a prayer to get elected and now I hate that Biden is going to get the Nom (even though i have been supporting him).

I didn't see this whole thing coming.  Hindsight 20/20 but anyone could beat Trump right now.  Would be nice to get a good President out of this.

I know it's a bit of an aside for this thread but what's wrong with Katie Halper?  I know she's a Bernie Bro but she identifies that up front so I appreciate that (unlike some on TV who are biased but pretend to be unbiased)

That said I don't know much about what she's done in the past... Is there controversy with her or is it just a bias thing? Just curious.

1 hour ago, KiddLattimer said:

I know it's a bit of an aside for this thread but what's wrong with Katie Halper?  I know she's a Bernie Bro but she identifies that up front so I appreciate that (unlike some on TV who are biased but pretend to be unbiased)

That said I don't know much about what she's done in the past... Is there controversy with her or is it just a bias thing? Just curious.

I owe everyone an apology, I was thinking of Katie Hopkins. @ren hoek - my bad, sorry.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

I owe everyone an apology, I was thinking of Katie Hopkins. @ren hoek - my bad, sorry.

Thanks, I’m not familiar with Hopkins, but that would explain a lot.  Halper is the very cool, very smart cohost of the Useful Idiots podcast.    Nothing like Cernovich or conservative treehouse.  Joe Biden is a rapist.

• Thinking 1

12 minutes ago, ren hoek said:

Thanks, I’m not familiar with Hopkins, but that would explain a lot.  Halper is the very cool, very smart cohost of the Useful Idiots podcast.    Nothing like Cernovich or conservative treehouse.  Joe Biden is a rapist.

Uh...no.

The evidence at this point doesn't support anything near this claim.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, ren hoek said:

Big fan of that pod :thumbup:

1 hour ago, ren hoek said:

This is over the top. Please stop repeating this unsubstantiated claim. 

Posted (edited)

ABC News on Twitter

Strong enthusiasm for Joe Biden among his supporters—just 24%—is the lowest on record for a Democratic presidential candidate in 20 years of ABC/WaPo polls. 53% of Pres. Trump’s supporters are highly enthusiastic about supporting him.

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1244112969027420161

Edited by KiddLattimer
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, adonis said:

Uh...no.

The evidence at this point doesn't support anything near this claim.

It does if you believe Reade.  I found her words and the pain in her voice convincing.  I think she’s telling the truth.  🤷‍♂️

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, KiddLattimer said:

Just came here to share this. That enthusiasm number is what losing campaigns are made of. Oof.

Curious to hear what @timschochet has to say about this polling data. I keep seeing him tout how excited people are going to be to vote Joe on 11/3.

ETA: the number of Bernie supporters who either refuse to vote Biden or flat out have flipped to Trump is no surprise either.

Edited by Mr Anonymous

36 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

Curious to hear what @timschochet has to say about this polling data. I keep seeing him tout how excited people are going to be to vote Joe on 11/3.

No I have never once written this. 

What I’ve written is how excited people are going to be to vote AGAINST Donald Trump on 11/3. That’s been my whole theory of the election. Now you can agree with it or disagree with it, but understand that based on my reasoning, this particular poll makes no difference whatsoever. In fact I anticipated it. Joe Biden is a dull candidate who excites almost nobody. As such he is perfect for this election. The main reason I feared Bernie would lose is because if he was the nominee, the election would be at least in part about him and his ideas. With Biden, who is a political nonentity, the election won’t be about him at all. It will be a referendum about Donald Trump, and that is the way to defeat Donald Trump. 

1 minute ago, timschochet said:

What I’ve written is how excited people are going to be to vote AGAINST Donald Trump on 11/3. That’s been my whole theory of the election. Now you can agree with it or disagree with it, but understand that based on my reasoning, this particular poll makes no difference whatsoever. In fact I anticipated it. Joe Biden is a dull candidate who excites almost nobody. As such he is perfect for this election. The main reason I feared Bernie would lose is because if he was the nominee, the election would be at least in part about him and his ideas. With Biden, who is a political nonentity, the election won’t be about him at all. It will be a referendum about Donald Trump, and that is the way to defeat Donald Trump. 

With enthusiasm numbers 8 points below Hillary's 2016 numbers, I don't know how you could have any confidence in Joe as your candidate right now.

3 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

With enthusiasm numbers 8 points below Hillary's 2016 numbers, I don't know how you could have any confidence in Joe as your candidate right now.

Well I just explained why. 

6 minutes ago, timschochet said:

Well I just explained why. 

I explained my side as well, with historical data to back it. Show your historical data to support Biden can win with no enthusiasm.

10 minutes ago, timschochet said:

Presidential elections for a second term are always a referendum on the incumbent and ads like the below that Biden is now running, with Trump's own words, will be devastating to him in November, particularly in states hard hit by the coronavirus.

https://twitter.com/joncoopertweets/status/1243126834612572162

17 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

I explained my side as well, with historical data to back it. Show your historical data to support Biden can win with no enthusiasm.

I can’t. Historical data doesn’t work here because there’s never been a candidate in American history like Donald Trump; he presents a unique set of issues and we can throw the models out. That was the lesson from 2016. 

But in 2020 we suddenly have a new factor, the coronavirus. That throws everything into flux including Trump. Even if there were two normal candidates running in 2020 I couldn’t tell you how it’s likely to turn out because of the virus. Heck we don’t even know what voting is going to be like. Trump could easily be re-elected. Biden could easily smash Trump. Nobody has a clue at this point and the polls mean NOTHING. Everything depends on how this virus shakes out. 

12 minutes ago, squistion said:

Presidential elections for a second term are always a referendum on the incumbent and ads like the below that Biden is now running, with Trump's own words, will be devastating to him in November, particularly in states hard hit by the coronavirus.

Exactly. 

This is a political failure of such epic proportions that you can directly tie to Trump through months of quotes.

"Read my lips no new taxes", "if you like your doctor you can keep him", "Deplorables" are all so trivial in comparison.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, squistion said:

Maybe. Or maybe people will be resentful of Biden for what they think is playing politics with a crisis. 

Im not trying to be a downer here. I’m saying nobody knows at this point what’s going to happen. We’re in a real time crisis here. We don’t even know where we’ll be a month from now much less November. 

7 minutes ago, timschochet said:

Maybe. Or maybe people will be resentful of Biden for what they think is playing politics with a crisis. 

Im not trying to be a downer here. I’m saying nobody knows at this point what’s going to happen. We’re in a real time crisis here. We don’t even know where we’ll be a month from now much less November. 

We can predict with nearly 100% certainly ithat n a month it will be a lot worse than it is today.

10 minutes ago, adonis said:

We can predict with nearly 100% certainly ithat n a month it will be a lot worse than it is today.

Really? Not sure of this either. There will be a lot more deaths for sure but we also may see real evidence of a flattening of the curve and more realistic dates for a return to normalcy as testing gets easier and more common. I have no idea. 

21 minutes ago, timschochet said:
33 minutes ago, adonis said:

Really? Not sure of this either. There will be a lot more deaths for sure but we also may see real evidence of a flattening of the curve and more realistic dates for a return to normalcy as testing gets easier and more common. I have no idea. 

With near certainty, we'll be at many multiples of deaths and infections.  We'll be "in the ####".

Perhaps we'll start to see some good news around that time that the peak is tapering, or that some positive effects of social distancing flattens the curve.  But make no mistake, we're heading into a dark tunnel for quite some time.

33 minutes ago, timschochet said:

I can’t. Historical data doesn’t work here because there’s never been a candidate in American history like Donald Trump; he presents a unique set of issues and we can throw the models out. That was the lesson from 2016. 

But in 2020 we suddenly have a new factor, the coronavirus. That throws everything into flux including Trump. Even if there were two normal candidates running in 2020 I couldn’t tell you how it’s likely to turn out because of the virus. Heck we don’t even know what voting is going to be like. Trump could easily be re-elected. Biden could easily smash Trump. Nobody has a clue at this point and the polls mean NOTHING. Everything depends on how this virus shakes out. 

If anything the virus is turning Trump into a ‘wartime president.’  His approval ratings actually went up recently.  He’s handled it horribly, but he’s correct that it’s basically unprecedented in modern history.  He’s out there saturating the airwaves, trying to look like he’s doing something.  He’s showing up.  I don’t think everyone will be comfortable with it being politicized.  People want to rally behind someone during a crisis.  

A lot of people will die.  But I think it’s presumptuous to assume a dramatic negative impact from this.  It underestimates his ability to manage the narrative.  Trump is a genius when it comes to propaganda.  Just flood the news cycle with junk. Flood everything with lies, distortions, outrages and fabrications, so people won’t know what’s real and what isn’t.  

And if the Democratic party wants to leave it to Trump to tell the occasional truth, that Joe Biden is in mental decline and can’t string a sentence together- the thing everyone is thinking but the Democrats can’t say out loud- even better.  

I don’t know what will happen but Joe Biden is an awful candidate.  He has a ton of weaknesses that Trump can, and will, exploit.  He’s not a neutral placeholder that people will ignore just to focus on the incumbent.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, timschochet said:

This is not at all what you said with your previous post.

38 minutes ago, ShamrockPride said:

This is not at all what you said with your previous post.

Because I was explaining a previous argument of mine, and why I didn’t believe that Biden needed enthusiasm. 

1 hour ago, timschochet said:

Because I was explaining a previous argument of mine, and why I didn’t believe that Biden needed enthusiasm. 

I would argue that enthusiasm is probably more important for Dems than the GOP.   Bill Clinton and Obama generated enthusiasm.  In the last 40 years those are the only two who have won.  

Eh it’s 6 R terms to 4 D. It’s not exactly a runaway there. Another way to look at it is 4 D to 3 R in the last 20.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

Eh it’s 6 R terms to 4 D. It’s not exactly a runaway there. Another way to look at it is 4 D to 3 R in the last 20.

It has truly been close. Plus 2 of the Republican winners lost the popular vote. 

18 minutes ago, The General said:

We aren’t counting GWB’s win are we?

2 of them.

They count.

Just now, identikit said:

2 of them.

They count.

That first one...bogus!

6 minutes ago, The General said:

That first one...bogus!

History and the Constitution disagree.

5 minutes ago, identikit said:

History and the Constitution disagree.

We all know who really won, GB.

2 minutes ago, The General said:

I know I do.

GWB win over Gore just slightly more legit than the Steelers over Hawks. It’s close though. 

16 minutes ago, The General said:

Indeed. The guy who moved into the White House.

• Laughing 1

Posted (edited)

Biden aligns closer with the Hillary, Kerry, Gore Dukakis, Mondale than Bill and Barack in terms of enthusiasm.  Not saying he can't win, just not a great candidate to generate excitement and turnout.  

Edited by jon_mx

2 hours ago, jon_mx said:

Biden aligns closer with the Hillary, Kerry, Gore Dukakis, Mondale than Bill and Barack in terms of enthusiasm.  Not saying he can't win, just not a great candidate to generate excitement and turnout.  

I'm more of the opinion that general likability and favorability is more of a factor in this race. There's a little bit of Carter vs Ford, and a little Bush Jr vs Gore here. I know that last one must seem like an odd comp but the theme with both was a return to norms and voters who were worn out with scandal. And Trump's low favorability ratings are really an abnormality, the only other candidate ever with a similar comp was Hillary herself.

Posted (edited)
On 3/28/2020 at 3:36 PM, Snotbubbles said:

You're looking at style and not substance.  Trump was heavily criticized for initiating the travel ban.  His words don't echo the actions he took.

I have to say this last response has been niggling at me. I think the reason is the inherent contradiction it presents. You seem to be saying, or acknowledging, that Trump says something different from what he does. Isn't that implicitly saying that he misleads or alternatively is uninformed about his own administration or the issues with which he he is dealing?

I guess this post occurred to me for a couple reasons yesterday:

- His throwdown with the reporter over his "threat" to lock down NY State.What a bizarre exchange, he had just said what he said the day before? The threat itself - it was one - was horrible, it caused panic in NY, it was a totally useless thing to do unless it was meant to somehow punish Cuomo or NY itself? I guess it's forgivable if one considers it was made ignorantly or capriciously?

- Biden right now is calling for a far more robust deployment of the Defense Production Act.

And Here.

And Here.

Getting back to our original discussion, this appears like the far more aggressive approach to me. I see nothing in anything Trump has done that could be called "aggressive" as to any of this.

Edited by SaintsInDome2006

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1244596526405435392

Joe Biden statement:

"I am issuing this challenge to Donald Trump ... He must use the Defense Production Act within the next 48 hours ... He may think the risk is having too many. That would be a wonderful problem to have. The risk is having too few."

• Like 1

Watching him make the rounds on TV this week I still can't believe smart people think this guy gives Dems the best chance of winning in November. Guy was incoherent at times. Struggling to answer softball questions.

• Like 1

The Cuomo drums get louder with each passing day.🌅

• Laughing 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Gopher State said:

The Cuomo drums get louder with each passing day.🌅

Meh. As much as you would like to see it, it is not going to happen.

You might as well talk about Hillary, because that is about as likely.

Edited by squistion