What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Visiting Germany (1 Viewer)

PlayaHata

Footballguy
My wife is attending a work conference in Frankfurt in May so we're considering flying in early to sight-see on our own for 7-10 days prior.  We've never been and have no set agenda.  Anyone have any recommendations for 3 or so cities to spend some time in or around Germany?  Frankfurt doesn't even need to be one of them necessarily.  I'm thinking Berlin is probably a given but I'm totally open to suggestions.  General things we're interested in:

• History
  • Architecture, especially castles and cathedrals - My wife used to work for Disney so Neuschwanstein Castle might be mandatory for her
  • Natural wonders/scenery
  • I'd love to take a high speed train but it's not a requirement, we'd be fine flying or renting a car between cities as well depending on cost/convenience

Munich is great you could visit both the Black Forest and Dachau plus the Olympic village where the Jewish athletes were murdered while there.  Nuremberg is also very interesting lots of history.

I was in small university town many years ago.  Everything was very clean and well made.  The deli counter at the Supermarket was about a quarter mile long.  That's all I have...

We spent 2 weeks in Germany a couple years ago.  Actually flew into Krakow, Poland first for 3 days then took a train to Berlin.  I'd highly recommend both those cities.  

Spent 2-3 days each in Munich, Dresden and the Rhine River Valley towns.  If pushed to cut one I guess I'd drop Munich but we loved all of them.

Sorry, I'm not very helpful in whittling it down for you.  Bottom line, I think any of these cities are worth spending your time.

Munich is a must imo.  So much to do in and around Munich. Neuschwanstein Castle is about an hour and a half away.  Maybe my favorite place in the world is Andechs. Less than an hour outside Munich. Great beer, food (pork knuckle!), views.  Probably the best beer garden in the world.  I've been to Germany 5 times and I make it a point to go each time. 

If you're in Bavaria (southern Germany) a day trip to Salzburg is a great time too.

Munich- wonderful city. many easy day trip ( i like the idea of salzburg if you have the time); dachau

rothenburg- one of my favorite towns

mozel/saar- very nice wines.  scenic drive.  many hillside castles. can be a day trip from frankfurt

garmisch
Heidelberg

frankfurt- not too far away is a brewery that used to be a monastery which I really enjoyed..... Kreuzberg 

also enjoyed Neauschwanstein.

check all of your selections on a map and you can likely cover a few per day......  

another favorite area is alsace in france...... german architecture and beer . french and german food and wine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Second all the Munich, Bavarian region hype. Love it there. 

Just spent a week in Salzburg and nearby areas if you go there hit me up. 

Frankfurt was not so good.

I echo the sentiments on Munich.  I'd definitely start there.  It's about 3 hours to the castle IIRC.  Just a really cool city.  Lots to do.  You can also spend a few days really exploring Bavaria.  Quite beautiful that time of year.  

The trains are a wonderful way to get around.  Pony up a little extra for 1st class on a long trip. Great way to travel.

If you are an American craft beer drinker, especially IPA's or APA's,  don't get too excited about the beer in Germany. They are very traditional with lagers, dunkels, etc.  Not a lot of hops used.  They make stellar examples of those styles but they are a little boring if you are used to craft beer.

We leave in the AM.  Can't wait.  Here's our itinerary:

• Sunday - Land in Munich, pick up rental car.  Drive to Fussen, stopping at Andechs Monastary on way for lunch and beer
  • Monday - King's Castles and explore Fussen
  • Tuesday - Drive to Salzburg and do a Sound of Music tour in the afternoon
  • Wednesday - Hohenwerfen Castle (wanted to do Eagles Nest but it's not open for another 2 weeks) and explore Salzburg
  • Thursday - Drive to Rothenburg, explore the town and do the night watchman tour
  • Friday - Drive back to Munich, beer and food tour at 6:00PM
  • Saturday - Dachau and 3rd Reich tour
  • Sunday - Open day in Munich, will likely visit Hofbrauhaus and whatever else strikes our fancy
  • Monday - Fly back home
Most of the drives between cities are 2-3 hours but I hear Bavaria is very scenic and we shouldn't be too rushed, so we should be able to stop at various places in between if we want to.

Back from Germany.  Loved the trip.  Highlights for us were

• Kings Castles - castles were awesome and the scenery around them is just stunning.  Plus the drive between Neuschwanstein and Linderhof was gorgeous as well.
  • Rothenburg - super cool medieval town
  • Munich - the whole central pedestrian areas and then our side trip out to Dachau which was sobering to say the least
  • Loved sampling all of the food and beer all over
  • I liked Andechs too but it was raining pretty hard the entire time we were there so that put an obvious damper on things
  • I was pretty underwhelmed with Salzburg overall
The other huge takeaway I had was realizing that driving experience in Germany is easily 10 times better than driving in the US. I spent around 12-15 hours driving all around Bavaria and here's what I noticed:

• NO potholes - no exaggeration, the roads are immaculate. I spent 10-15 minutes stuck in traffic a few times due to construction but it didn't even bother me because I realized it's the price you pay for no potholes!
  • NO left lane drivers - it is illegal in most places to pass on the right
  • Semi trucks stay in the far right lane 99% of the time (I think they must have their top speeds throttled but I'm not 100% sure) and don't impede car traffic at all
  • Drivers know how to merge and how to let others merge (without slowing down to a crawl)
  • Drivers know how to use roundabouts, including how to signal when they're exiting
  • Drivers don't drive 0.01 mph faster than the car they're passing and don't clog up all of the traffic behind them
  • Many speed limit signs are digital and I suspect they adjust the limits based on traffic and weather conditions
  • The Autobahn - You'd think that having no posted speed limit would be inherently unsafe, but I felt much safer driving on the autobahn than I do driving on the interstates around Indianapolis due to all of the items previously listed

Munich is sunny and happy and a great place to visit.  Berlin may be the complete opposite, but it's my favorite city in the world. Go figure...
:blackdot:

I'm going to be in Berlin for 4 days by myself next month.  Let's chat.

urbanhack said:
:blackdot:

I'm going to be in Berlin for 4 days by myself next month.  Let's chat.
following as ill be in berlin sept 25 for 4 days before I head to munich for Oktoberfest then Portugal for 2 weeks

While the wife is working visit FKK Sharks in Darmstadt. Google.... and trust me 

Sachenshausezn south of the river is a fun place to party a bit. 

Frankfurt is a nice place to kill a long weekend but agreed, not sure it's an ideal place for more than 2 nights of your trip. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread