What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The first player you think of...... (1 Viewer)

ZenoRazon

Footballguy
.....when talking the 32 NFL teams.

My Niners (yep, just bought them).....Joe Montana....in a word....Cool~~~

Rams....The Fearsome Foursome (yep, a cheat)

Seahawks.....Russell Wilson....the total package,  the  best dual threat we have seen.

Cards.....John David Crow........check out his rookie card, they cut his butt off.....ouch~~~~

Redskins.....John "Diesel" Riggins.......as a HS kid (obviously lighter) he won the Kansas State 100yard dash (as did Jordy Nelson) in 9.8 (Don Hutson)

Eagles....Steve Van Buren......he was out of LSU,  there is a twist to his story.

Cowboys.....Bullet Bob Hayes.....he is STILL the fastest player to ever play pro football. 10.06 on a dirt track some 55ish years ago. (Tyreek 10.19)

Giants....Frank Gifford....just went by his old HS (Bakersfield HS) a few days ago.  Hollywood looks, and could do it all.

Lions....Barry Sanders.....only Gale Sayers comes close to his...."no no that didn't really happen"

Bears...85 Bears Defense.........still cheating.

Packers....Vince Lombardi.......what a man. Trump needs to take notes.

Vikes....Fran Tarkenton.......when he left the game he was the all time leader in all the QB stats and is still way up there.

Panthers....Cam Newton.....JC Champ, NCAA Champ, Heisman, MVP.....nuff said.

Saints....Drew Brees.......what record won't he own when he's done?

Falcons...Deion Sanders.......in the running for the greatest athlete to ever play pro football.  Now add that  personality.

Buc's....Leroy Selmon.....a very bad man, as was Dewey.

Raiders....Daryle "The Mad Bomber" Lamonica to Warren Wells a Texas Southern sprinter........had to be seen to be believed.  Google this.

Chargers...Lance Alworth.....a 9.6 sprinter/RB at Arkansas who became the greatest WR in pro football in his day. He was amazing.

Broncos....John Elway....classic teeth, arm, Stanford......hell, a postage stamp.

Chiefs....Abner Haynes....first "star" of the old AFL, a speedy RB who returned kicks, their first 1000 yard rusher.

Oilers/Titans...Earl Campbell....a total bully who ran like ya said something bad about his mama.

Colts....Johnny Unitas.....how in the hell did the Steelers cut Johnny Unitas? You cannot talk  the great QB's without JohnnyU.

Jags....still waiting for somebody to grab our attention.

Texans...JJ Watt....when the bad guys are closing in and there we are in our foxhole, nobody I'd rather have beside me.

Pats....Tom Brady....when the Aliens finally arrive,  and you try to  explain the  NFL to them, ya start  with Tom Brady.

Bills...Cookie Gilchrist....he was the Jim Brown of the old AFL, a monster.  Straight from HS to pro football. A 250 pound  monstrosity in the 60's. His rookie card  a classic. Dude was a pilot who had his own plane but couldn't understand why he couldn't fly solo from game to game....ha~~~~~

Jets..."Broadway" Joe Namath.....if he hadn't been real, some writer would have made him up. His....I GUARANTEE IT.....the three most important words in pro football history.  AND....he delivered the goods, stuff of movies.

Dolphins....Don Shula....only perfect season.

Steelers....THE STEEL CURTAIN.....but, a TON of others who could be mentioned.  And, there was a time they totally sucked.

Browns...Jim Brown*****....imagine this, every defense he faced was geared to stop Jim Brown (who was his QB, yep...???) and all he did was average  over 5 yards a carry....anyway.  The most awesome sight I have ever seen on a football field.  Sometimes it really was......a man vs boys.....unheard of in pro football.

Bengals.....Paul Robinson....an Arizona 400m hurdler who looked nothing like a RB, yet......first 1000 yard rusher, gliding along, smooth striding, in a word....effortless.

Ravens....Ray Lewis.....remember that foxhole I mentioned?  I  have no doubt's, he  could convince you a pocket knife really does stand a chance vs a tank. An amazing teammate/leader/motivator.

That is my take, so, who you got?

***** he had this weird trip of getting up real slow,  talking.....really slow.  When asked about that....."that way when I was rocked who knew?"......makes sense  to me.

John David Crow aka....Johnny Crow

https://www.ebay.com/i/303014195739?chn=ps

5.75 ?  and got his butt cut off,  no respect at all for a Heisman winner and the Cards first 1000 yard rusher.

See that....Chicago Cardinals?  Trivia......what Chicago Cardinal  did the Rams trade nine players to get?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyW-w-ifbGo

While at Texas A&M their other big star was WR Bobby Joe Conrad (ended up on the Cards with Crow)  Imagine that, John David  & Bobby Joe....ha~~~~

So if you ever want to stump someone in trivia...........what RB were the Browns willing to trade Jim Brown for,   yep....John David Crow.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do like to see knowledgeable football fans, and not an over abundance of younguns just misbehaving. Pretty good gang of posters here. Some of these places.....wow~~~

@ZenoRazon   If this was during  the season or like right after the NFL draft when activity here spikes  I'd think it would be best to put these kinds of threads away. But for all intents and purposes it's the offseason right now, it's slow, threads are sitting on page one for days. I'm having extreme football withdrawal right now, need football talk to help me ease into the off-season. So I for one welcome any and all football related discussion right now. Just my opinion, but I'm good with you continuing to do what you do.

I don't have a problem with these kinds of threads at any time, not just the slow part of the off-season.

You mentioned Bob Hayes and his speed.  The first thing I think of about Bob Hayes (besides his speed), is the ice bowl against the Packers.  Hayes tipped off the Packers when plays weren't designed to go to him  by putting his hands in his pants because of the cold.  Hayes couldn't deal with the cold weather at all.

@ZenoRazon   If this was during  the season or like right after the NFL draft when activity here spikes  I'd think it would be best to put these kinds of threads away. But for all intents and purposes it's the offseason right now, it's slow, threads are sitting on page one for days. I'm having extreme football withdrawal right now, need football talk to help me ease into the off-season. So I for one welcome any and all football related discussion right now. Just my opinion, but I'm good with you continuing to do what you do.
Thank you sir, I do appreciate that, thanx😁

You mentioned Bob Hayes and his speed.  The first thing I think of about Bob Hayes (besides his speed), is the ice bowl against the Packers.  Hayes tipped off the Packers when plays weren't designed to go to him  by putting his hands in his pants because of the cold.  Hayes couldn't deal with the cold weather at all.
Bullet Bob grew up in Jacksonville Florida, went to Florida A&M. I seriously doubt he knew that kind of cold existed. All his speed totally useless that day.

Little story....

Hayes was one of the nations top HS sprinters, but.....a kid named Jimmy "Peach Head" Douglas*** beat him at the Florida State HS Champs.  He would be the only sprinter Hays never revenged a loss.  Before the two ever tangled again Douglas was gunned down in a gang related incident.  What  could have been.

And....Hayes was a RB in college, his other RB was Bob Paremore a 9.4 100 yard guy, Hayes 9,1WR, that is still the fastest RB combo ever, NCAA or NFL.

*** red headed black guy.

The first player I think of when I think about the Saints is Tom Dempsey.  Not Archie Manning or Drew Brees.    When I think of Tom Dempsey I think of that kick against the Lions in 1970.  For some odd reason I was watching that game and saw the kick.  I was 11 years old.    Must have been the only game not in a commercial and back then you had to get up to change the channel. .   I thought to myself, no one will ever break that record.  

Unrelated:  Did you know that back in 1970 I could actually see more games on Sunday than you can see today if you don't have Direct TV?   Even with Sunday Night Football today.   I lived in an area where I could pick up Lexington, Ky (both NBC for AFC games and CBS for NFC games, Louisville, Ky (NBC for AFC games, not every week however, and the reception wasn't the best), Knoxville, TN (NBC for AFC, I think I saw AFC games on WATE NBC affiliate at the time), and sometimes Ashville, NC (NBC for AFC games, reception was an issue some of the time).   Most Sundays in 1970 I could see 2 early games  (1 pm ET,  AFC games on NBC and NFC games on CBS.  2 late games  at 4 pm ET, AFC games on NBC and NFC games on CBS).  On rare occasions I could see 5 games on Sunday, 3 early and 2 late.. However, sometimes it was the same game for one of the early games, but not always.   Because of where I was living made this possible.  I also remember sometimes getting a game from Ashville, NC, but not every week and reception was an issue at times, but not always.   I don't believe you can see that many games on Sunday today if you don't have satellite TV and just have cable TV. 

The first player I think of when I think about the Saints is Tom Dempsey.  Not Archie Manning or Drew Brees.    When I think of Tom Dempsey I think of that kick against the Lions in 1970.  For some odd reason I was watching that game and saw the kick.  I was 11 years old.    Must have been the only game not in a commercial and back then you had to get up to change the channel. .   I thought to myself, no one will ever break that record.  
I didn't see that kick as it happened, and had heard about it before seeing it.  A lot of.......how can that be fair, hell, he has a club there more or less.

That is one of the really interesting stories in pro football history.

I was off the coast of Viet Nam in 70,watching the war.

Thank you for your service.
Thank you but.....

I can't pretend what we did while over there was actually putting us in the battle.  We just hung out during the day, yep, just cruising around waiting for night. 

When it got dark then we went into action,  we spent all night long shooting illuminous shells off. that lite the sky up like a giant sun.  When one started to lose it;s glow, here came another one.  This was so those on the ground could see........obviously.

30 days out, a couple weeks R&R then 30 days out, a couple weeks........6 months of that,

Interesting thread but I don't have the ambition to list them all.

Bears - Walter Payton.
Hell, just take um one at a time, there's the Bears, ha~~~

First became aware of Walter Payton while he was at Jackson State, the SWAC had a lot of talent back in the day.

He left Jackson State with a 6.0 APC.

Hell, just take um one at a time, there's the Bears, ha~~~

First became aware of Walter Payton while he was at Jackson State, the SWAC had a lot of talent back in the day.

He left Jackson State with a 6.0 APC.
No disrespect to Walter Payton, but when I think of the Bears I think of **** Butkus (mid 60s to early 70s),  Gayle Sayers (mid to late 60s and I was very young (7-10)), and Bobby Douglas (early 70s).  I remember Butkus being the one guy I would hate to be hit by and as a linebacker he seemed to tower over other linebackers and some lineman.  You didn't see a lot of 6'3" linebackers back then, or at least not in my memory and not until the 70s.   Sayers was the most electrifying runner I've ever seen until Barry Sanders came along.  As for Douglas, I remember him being a running QB that couldn't hit the ocean with a pass if he was standing right in front of it.  

When I think of the Bears I think of **** Butkus (mid 60s to early 70s),  Gayle Sayers (mid to late 60s), and Bobby Douglas (early 70s).  I remember Butkus being the one guy I would hate to be hit by.  Sayers was the most electrifying runner I've ever seen until Barry Sanders came along.  As for Douglas, I remember him being a running QB that couldn't hit the ocean with a pass if he was standing right in front of it.  
First NFL game I remember seeing was the Bears vs Giants and number 28 Willie Galimore.  He mesmerized me that day, and made a huge impact on why I became a RB, I wanted to that.  Oviously I never did,  but........

Knew about Butkus at Illinois and Sayers at Kansas, a bit of a shock having both of them end up in Chicago.

Funny thing was the nations leading rusher the year Sayers  came out.........Brian Piccolo Wake Forest.

Colts - Of course Johnny U, but my favorite Colt QB was Bert Jones.  I remember Super Bowl 3 and 5 very well, the former I wish I couldn't.  My other favorite Colt players were Bubba Smith, Mike Curtis, John Mackey, Ted Hendricks, Roy Jefferson,  Roy Hilton, Lydell Mitchell, Roger Carr, Glen Doughty, Peyton Manning, Marvin Harrison, Marshall Faulk,  and Edgerrin James.

He played a major role in recruiting Bob Hayes to his school Florida A&M.  Hayes a footballer first, track guy second.
I remember him catching a long pass in Super Bowl V.  He didn't do much else (1 rec 41 yards).   Hayes best years were in the 60s and seem to be just a name guy in my memories of him in the 70s..  Although he did have 10 TDs in 1970 and 8 in 1971 and averaged an astonishing 24.3 ypc in 1970 and 22.6 in 1971.  Bullet Bob was the first true burner at WR and in his own way revolutionized the position.

Who gets forgotten in this speed/football trip is this guy....

Bob Boyd

Was NCAA National Champion in 100 Yard Dash (9.8 Seconds), 1950 Established Two All-Time Lions Records For Track 100 Yard Dash in 9.6 Seconds, 1950 220 Yard Dash in 21.5 Seconds, 1950 Enjoyed Distinguished Career in the National Football League as a Top Receiver With the Los Angeles Rams, 1950-57.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A 9.6 in 1950 was on a par with a 9.1  in 1964.  Boyd had a 1000 yard season as a Ram doing it the same way Bullet Bob did, he blew by people.  Why they always act like Hayes was the first speedy  receiver?  Hell, Hutson was a blurr in his day at 9.8.

Who gets forgotten in this speed/football trip is this guy....

Bob Boyd

Was NCAA National Champion in 100 Yard Dash (9.8 Seconds), 1950 Established Two All-Time Lions Records For Track 100 Yard Dash in 9.6 Seconds, 1950 220 Yard Dash in 21.5 Seconds, 1950 Enjoyed Distinguished Career in the National Football League as a Top Receiver With the Los Angeles Rams, 1950-57.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A 9.6 in 1950 was on a par with a 9.1  in 1964.  Boyd had a 1000 yard season as a Ram doing it the same way Bullet Bob did, he blew by people.  Why they always act like Hayes was the first speedy  receiver?  Hell, Hutson was a blurr in his day at 9.8.
You're going back too far man.  How old are you, 80?

Green was fast.  I loved how he ran down Dorsett and Dickerson in that video.  I agree that he wouldn't have caught Hayes however.
Green ran a 10.08 in the 80's and placed sixth in the NCAA's.

Hayes ran a 10.06 in the 60's and was an Olympic champion and a WR holder.

Anytime we see talk of speed in the NFL they want to go more with the football ability than actual speed.  A whole gang of guys were far faster than Randy Moss but being he was a better WR he gets props he really doesn't warrant.

excluded qb's.

buffalo - thurman thomas

miami - mark duper

pats - andre tippett

jets - al toon

steelers - Joe Lambert 

browns  - jim brown

ravens - ray lewis

bengals - tim krumrie 

broncos - terrell davis

chiefs - christian okoye

raiders - bo jackson

charger - LT2

texans - andre johnson

colts - marvin harrison

titans - Mike Munchak

jags - fred taylor

redskins - art monk

giants - LT

cowboys - Jay Novacek 

eagles  - brian dawkins

bears - walter payton

packers - ray nitschke

lions - charles rogers

vikings - adp

saints - morten anderson

bucs - warrick dunn

rams - eric dickerson

panthers - cj anderson

falcons - michael turner

seahawks - steve largent

49ers - jerry rice

cardinals - **** lane

excluded qb's.

buffalo - thurman thomas - O J Simpson

miami - mark duper - Larry Csonka

pats - andre tippett - Darryl Stingley

jets - al toon - Matt Snell

steelers - Joe Lambert - You mean Jack Lambert, for me's it's Franco Harris

browns  - jim brown - Jim Brown

ravens - ray lewis - Ray Lewis

bengals - tim krumrie  - Ickey Woods

broncos - terrell davis - Shannon Sharpe

chiefs - christian okoye - Willie Lanier

raiders - bo jackson - Fred Biletnikoff

charger - LT2 - Lance Alworth

texans - andre johnson - J J Watt  Earl Campbell for the Oilers

colts - marvin harrison - Bubba Smith

titans - Mike Munchak - Eddie George

jags - fred taylor - Fred Taylor

redskins - art monk - John Riggins

giants - LT - LT

cowboys - Jay Novacek - Bob Lilly

eagles  - brian dawkins - Steve Van Buren

bears - walter payton - **** Butkus

packers - ray nitschke - Paul Hornung

lions - charles rogers - Barry Sanders

vikings - adp - Jim Marshall

saints - morten anderson - Tom Dempsey

bucs - warrick dunn - Ricky Bell

rams - eric dickerson - Deacon Jones

panthers - cj anderson - Ray Carruth

falcons - michael turner - Tommy Nobis

seahawks - steve largent - Steve Largent

49ers - jerry rice - Jerry Rice

cardinals - **** lane - Terry Metcalf
Excluding QBs.

I have had 3 favorite teams in my lifetime, and the first player I think of in each case is the best player in that franchise's history:

Bears - Payton

Seahawks - Largent

Chargers - Rivers

excluded qb's.

buffalo - thurman thomas

miami - mark duper

pats - andre tippett

jets - al toon

steelers - Joe Lambert 

browns  - jim brown

ravens - ray lewis

bengals - tim krumrie 

broncos - terrell davis

chiefs - christian okoye

raiders - bo jackson

charger - LT2

texans - andre johnson

colts - marvin harrison

titans - Mike Munchak

jags - fred taylor

redskins - art monk

giants - LT

cowboys - Jay Novacek 

eagles  - brian dawkins

bears - walter payton

packers - ray nitschke

lions - charles rogers

vikings - adp

saints - morten anderson

bucs - warrick dunn

rams - eric dickerson

panthers - cj anderson

falcons - michael turner

seahawks - steve largent

49ers - jerry rice

cardinals - **** lane
**** Lane?

ZenoRazon said:
Rae Carruth?
He had his pregnant girlfriend murdered and is in prison.  I believe he may be getting paroled soon.  When I think of the Panthers he's still the first name that comes to mind (excluding Newton).

Just Win Baby said:
I have had 3 favorite teams in my lifetime, and the first player I think of in each case is the best player in that franchise's history:

Bears - Payton

Seahawks - Largent

Chargers - Rivers
Seriously? 

He might be 4th best player to wear a chargers uniform since 2000. We'll exclude Brees, seau was only there a couple years in the 00s but Rivers still isn't better than LT 

Users who are viewing this thread